Flag
  • Sign In
  • 0 items
  • Search
Welcome Guest! Please login to enable all features.

Notification

Icon
Error

BuGs&KisSes Offline
#1 Posted : Wednesday, June 13, 2012 5:09:30 AM(UTC)
BuGs&KisSes

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 48 time(s) in 22 post(s)
We have four bedrooms in our home. One extension bedroom/ensuite downstairs and three upstairs.

At the mo I have my craft space in the smallest room upstairs, one bedroom is guest room and the middle sized bedroom is our three year old daughters.

Baby #2 is due october so im thinking ahead. I still want to keep our larger bedrom as a guest room, keep daughter in the room she's in and eventually when baby is older will have my smaller craft room. (or they share the smaller bedroom with bunkbeds and have the larger bedroom as a games/play room?)

I still need my craft space so hubby has suggested moving to the garage. The little room that I have at the moment is all lovely and pretty so moving to the garage seems a bit of a downgrade. Its my hobby, its the only thing I do on life I enjoy so I may just have to move out so I can keep it going - I have a nice little business going with it too!

Its very cold in the winter here so it would have to be well equipped etc etc etc. What are your thoughts and has anyone else got their space in the garage? ALl ideas welcome pleaaase.

Thanks
JanetLovesSewing Offline
#2 Posted : Wednesday, June 13, 2012 6:53:50 AM(UTC)
JanetLovesSewing

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Question: Why do we always need a "guest room"? How often do you have guests? How often do they come: In what part of the world do you live? I live in southern California and I refuse to have a dedicated guest room. Before I purchased a home, an older woman told me, "Never buy a house with guests in mind. Always buy a home with your family and needs in mind." I have always remembered that. I don't know how often you have guests, but I would reconsider having a dedicated total room for them. Perhaps you could consider the size of the bed and the need for more than a small dresser in that room. In the future, should you have another child what would you do with the guest room?

1 user thanked JanetLovesSewing for this useful post.
~AmyS~ on 7/1/2012(UTC)
BuGs&KisSes Offline
#3 Posted : Wednesday, June 13, 2012 8:20:06 AM(UTC)
BuGs&KisSes

Was thanked: 48 time(s) in 22 post(s)
I should have said a bit more. I use the spare room to sleep in as I cant sleep downstairs with hubby and dog. Reasons: A) I prefer to be upstairs where my daughter is. B) Hubby snores loudly and dog has very bad flatulence.Blushing. Tried putting the dog in the sitting room in the evenings and he took the painwork and hinges off the doors. This just the way he is as hubby has had him sleeping with him since puppy (before i came along).

So thats the main reason. But its also used as a guest room when we have guests also. I just want to keep a balance so thought of moving the crafty gear in to the garage. This way, eventually both kids can have their own rooms.

JanetLovesSewing Offline
#4 Posted : Wednesday, June 13, 2012 10:01:04 PM(UTC)
JanetLovesSewing

Okay, I apologize for standing on the pedestal. I really do see your point. Bless you. Just make sure that the garage is cool in the summer and warm in the winter. Where I live, we have winds that are worse than Chicago. I am the opposite of you - redoing our garage would be a larger headache than a full moon.
sunflowerbug Offline
#5 Posted : Wednesday, June 13, 2012 11:15:32 PM(UTC)
sunflowerbug

Was thanked: 173 time(s) in 150 post(s)
Janet it sounds like you live near Fontana or in the Hi desert.The winds are fierce&wicked. Bugs&Kisses a room size carpet or linoleum may be helpful on the garage floor for comfort and cleaning.Smile
OCCricutUser Offline
#6 Posted : Thursday, June 14, 2012 4:06:07 PM(UTC)
OCCricutUser

Was thanked: 246 time(s) in 217 post(s)
I say keep your craft room and enjoy until the girls are MUCH older and NEED separate rooms ... WE NEED our own space, and while the kids are little, you probably won't get much time in the garage.
 1 user thanked OCCricutUser for this useful post.
~AmyS~ on 7/1/2012(UTC)
JanetLovesSewing Offline
#7 Posted : Thursday, June 14, 2012 8:55:09 PM(UTC)
JanetLovesSewing

Yes, Sunflowerbug, I am in the depth of massive winds. Here's hoping that Bugs and Kisses can get her own space. I find it refreshing, relaxing, and satisfactory to have a space (in my case spaces) to do my thing without the "help" (aka interference) of others. I have one space for sewing and one space for paper. However, it has taken years (or lifetimes) to get certain people to grow up and move out so that I may have my creativity time in my "Creativity Zones".
scrapntink Offline
#8 Posted : Saturday, June 16, 2012 3:33:06 PM(UTC)
scrapntink

It took me 18 yrs to get my own room so if you have one now then KEEP IT.ThumpUp The kids will do fine together. BTW Janetlovessewing, I used to live in the Cherry Valley/Pass area and I remember those winds. Yuck! Then I moved to Northern Arizona and we have stronger winds here then there. I miss home.Crying
blondolphn Offline
#9 Posted : Sunday, June 17, 2012 2:35:38 PM(UTC)
blondolphn

Medals: Cricut Circle Member: Member of the Cricut Circle

Groups: Circle Member, Registered
United States

Was thanked: 5314 time(s) in 959 post(s)
I agree with the thought of waiting to move out to the garage for crafting. You might be able to sneak some crafting in while the kids are entertaining themselves, but you'll still want to be close by to be able to listen to the tell tale signs of troublemaking. You would only be able to go out to the garage to craft if you had someone to watch the kids for a long period of time so you may not get out there as often as you would like.
wannaBscrappin' Offline
#10 Posted : Saturday, June 23, 2012 5:17:54 PM(UTC)
wannaBscrappin'

Was thanked: 49 time(s) in 42 post(s)
I don't know if this will be at all helpful...but we had a 99 lb collie with those issues as well and they disappeared (thank heavens) when a young lady at the pet store advised me to give him a lamb and rice meal rather than what he was eating! It worked. Thank you Iams! At that point, I was immensely grateful as people stopped running from our house in horrer! LOL As for the hubby, can't help you there except to tell you that I have heard wonderful things about what Glucalite can do for that problem...best of luck! BTW, my eldest daughter and middle child son both shared a room until number 3 came along and then the girls shared a room the rest of their lives til late in high school and they are extremely close because of it...just saying! ThumpUp
live2clickpics Offline
#11 Posted : Friday, June 29, 2012 10:57:07 PM(UTC)
live2clickpics

Groups: Registered, Circle Member

Was thanked: 6445 time(s) in 1245 post(s)
I would also stay in the house for now for your craft room. Just wait and see how things go...
DianaYork Offline
#12 Posted : Saturday, June 30, 2012 7:52:08 PM(UTC)
DianaYork

Was thanked: 17 time(s) in 14 post(s)
I too have a snoring husband! I use ear plugs! they work great BigGrin
ladybugstamper Offline
#13 Posted : Monday, July 16, 2012 11:58:08 AM(UTC)
ladybugstamper

Was thanked: 496 time(s) in 253 post(s)
Hi!
We live in a little one story house, only 1100 square feet. So, DD has the smallest room, until a month ago both boys shared a bedroom (for 15 years). Oldest son got married and moved out, so now our middle child finally has his own room. He used to have his own room until his sister arrived 15 years ago, LOL!!! He will be here for a 2 or 3 more years, he will be a Junior at college, and then will need to find a teaching job.

We are lucky in our little house that we have a living/front room and a larger kitchen/dining/family room. I do craft in the living room/front room, I do my cross stitching in that room while TV with the family.

Since I've been crafting forever and we have Amazon parrots who come with their own furniture I share my crafting space with the birds in the family room. DH laughs that it keeps me close to the kitchen (haha). We have a love seat in the family room, a small TV that I can use when crafting or cooking. I also have an older kitchen table that I use a craft space. Along the walls are cabinets and tall Iris carts that hold cartridges, stamps, paper, etc. I have enough stuff to have my own store. I don't care if people see my storage units, I don't care that the space will never be in a magazine. It works for us, and I get a lot done.

Moving out to the garage won't happen for us, too hot where we live. I don't mind being close to the kitchen but I really don't want to be close to the washer. LOL!!!

So, for myself, the family room works as a craft space.

Edited by user Monday, July 16, 2012 12:01:18 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Added more info

ladybugstamper attached the following image(s):
100_1459.jpg
100_1460.jpg
Stampinggal Offline
#14 Posted : Wednesday, July 25, 2012 5:33:21 PM(UTC)
Stampinggal

Was thanked: 39 time(s) in 32 post(s)
I live in MD and our winters are pretty cold and the summers are very hot. My husband used the garage for his wood working and we have tried several ways to heat it in the winter and none are very good. Expensive and take hours to really heat up. Summer is really hot even though he installed a ceiling fan. Stay in your house. How about making the guest room the largest bedroom for you to sleep in and also for your crafting? I turned my formal living room into my craft room. There is nothing better then having a place to leave your work up and not have to keep putting stuff away after every use. The garage also like someone else mentioned you won't be able to use unless someone else is watching the kids. Eventually if you take over the largest room, even your kids will join you when they are older to craft.
handmadegiftsbysarahny7d5ba70c Offline
#15 Posted : Sunday, July 29, 2012 9:55:09 AM(UTC)
handmadegiftsbysarahny7d5ba70c

Originally Posted by: BuGs&KisSes Go to Quoted Post
I should have said a bit more. I use the spare room to sleep in as I cant sleep downstairs with hubby and dog. Reasons: A) I prefer to be upstairs where my daughter is. B) Hubby snores loudly and dog has very bad flatulence.Blushing. Tried putting the dog in the sitting room in the evenings and he took the painwork and hinges off the doors. This just the way he is as hubby has had him sleeping with him since puppy (before i came along).

So thats the main reason. But its also used as a guest room when we have guests also. I just want to keep a balance so thought of moving the crafty gear in to the garage. This way, eventually both kids can have their own rooms.

We made our down stairs "storage room" into a guest bed room ecpeting out of the country family for an extended stay. At this point I was working on the kitchen table. I made a corner in the room for me I put wood shelves on the wall with ribbon hangers on them to hold buckets of supplies and two 4' table making an L. my bigger stuff in under the table and its nice to have a place to leave a project going. Space is limited so I tidy up once a month so things dont get out of hand. My next addition is a Pegboard behind the door for my embellishments. I love it. Im up all night when I can be. If your spare room is not high traffic you should consider that. We have a play room downstairs and when the kids are playing I get to play to because Im right there. Good LuckBigGrin
Al Sposeto Offline
#16 Posted : Wednesday, August 01, 2012 3:55:02 PM(UTC)
Al Sposeto

Italy

Was thanked: 64 time(s) in 40 post(s)
Cool One other thing you might need to concider with moving to the garage that is niether heated or cooled is the effect it will have on your machine. The don't tolerate that type of fluctuation.
AL
Gadget girl Offline
#17 Posted : Monday, January 07, 2013 3:08:03 AM(UTC)
Gadget girl

United Kingdom

Was thanked: 424 time(s) in 184 post(s)
I agree keep your craft room in the house and be near you kids while they are small. They wont mind sharing at that age and it will probably be beneficial to them. I have things out in my conservatory and even that gets too cold for me to work at so whilst my eldest is at University my youngest goes in his brothers bigger room and I have his small room as a craft room. As someone else said who needs a spare room. Very rarely have people stayed in mine so its not practical for me to just leave it as such.
dorichatelain44314a80 Offline
#18 Posted : Monday, January 07, 2013 2:57:50 PM(UTC)
dorichatelain44314a80

Was thanked: 119 time(s) in 116 post(s)
WE full time in a 36 foot Fifth wheel trailer and We love it but there is no spare room and no garage. My daughter has her daybed in the livingroom and I use the space under it to store all my supplies. When we lived in a stick built house we had 3 bedrooms. I didn't scrap at the time but we had our room and my daughter had her room and we had the third room for an office. I did other crafts at the time so I had a craft area in the office.

We love this little home of ours. I have a 6 foot desk that is one of the slide outs. so it is large enough to have my 2 printers and cricut on it plus room for working if I desired to work at the desk. I actually like sitting on the couch when I scrap... staying nice and comfy. I have a folding table I use to work on.

If I was you I wouldn't move to the garage. your paper might warp and the machines might not like the temp change. and you wouldn't feel comfy out there. specially if your babies were in the house. I would stay in the house. the babies are young and they will never care they are sharing a room. it will make them closer in the important years.

CandiScraps Offline
#19 Posted : Monday, January 07, 2013 5:07:19 PM(UTC)
CandiScraps

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 6 post(s)
I have to agree with most of the other crafters - stay in your beloved craft room. At the moment I share a craft space with my dining room & I wish I had a room all my own. In the past we considered setting up a space in the basement just for me. After thinking about it I realized that I wouldn't use it very much, I like being around my family when creating. A big question to ask yourself is how much crafting would you actually do (or want to do) if your space was in the garage & away from everyone?

Side note - I sympathize with a snoring DH! If I don't fall asleep first it's a nightmare, LOL! I keep the nightstand stocked with nose stripsLaugh

RockinRobin1 Offline
#20 Posted : Tuesday, January 08, 2013 5:31:29 PM(UTC)
RockinRobin1

Groups: Registered, Circle Member
United States

Was thanked: 1237 time(s) in 673 post(s)
I say stay in your current room. Here's something no one mentioned...extreme temp changes aren't good for your crafting supplies, glues, stickers, etc aren't made for extreme temp changes, neither are your machines. No matter where you live, keeping it stored in the garage is not good.