Flag
  • Sign In
  • 0 items
  • Search
Welcome Guest! Please login to enable all features.

Notification

Icon
Error

kmhutchb7b8cc84 Offline
#1 Posted : Wednesday, July 04, 2012 2:20:17 PM(UTC)
kmhutchb7b8cc84

Groups: Registered

Hello, I am interested in using vinyl to cut lettering to use in the back of my car window to advertise my business. What vinyl do I use? I see the "Cricut" rolls in the stores but am not sure if I can use this. Do I cut and stick it to the outside of the window or "mirror" it and apply to the inside?
Will the heat build up melt it or cause it to peel?
Thanks to any that reply.
K
jenious Offline
#2 Posted : Sunday, July 15, 2012 6:08:50 AM(UTC)
jenious

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
The answer to this question is two fold.

The best thing to do is definitely mirror cut the vinyl and apply it to the inside of your rear window. However, if your window is tinted the graphic that you apply will be less visible from the outside. The only color of vinyl that will work with tinted windows and get some what desirable results is white. For a test: take white piece of paper and cut out a letter, the size you are anticipating the font to be and tape it to the inside of the window and look from the outside at what the end result will be.

If you want to place the vinyl on the outside of the window for increased visibility there are several things to consider:
1. the vinyl will need to be laminated for exterior applications- your local sign shop can laminate your decals for you- to protect it from the outdoor elements.
2. If you have a windshield washer and you use it, it will eventually tear up your letters. The smaller the letters, the more damage will be done quicker, because there is less adhesive to hold the decal onto the glass.

Either way you go, Cricut can certainly design and cut the graphics, but it does not 1) pre-mask the graphics ("masking tape" protecting the vinyl during installation) and 2) each letter will be an individual cut out of vinyl. The letters are NOT easy to install this way and unless you have experience installing these, your project can become unprofessional looking really quick. Your best bet for vehicle applications is to contact your local sign shop and allow them to design and cut something for you that will be laminated and pre-masked.

My husband has been in the sign industry for 15 years and we now own our own vinyl decal and wrap installation company. I got the bright idea to do "bon apetite" over my kitchen window and even he says this was a nightmare to install. Getting the spacing between the letters and making sure each letter was completely horizontal was not an easy task even for a professional.

Hope this helps. Good luck with your project!
-Jen

P.S. I did not purchase the cricut vinyl, I used left over vinyl from the sign shop that was laminated and pre-masked, so I can not comment on cricut's vinyl.
 1 user thanked jenious for this useful post.
mhjudge67 on 7/15/2012(UTC)
CeceliaJ Offline
#3 Posted : Sunday, July 15, 2012 5:22:44 PM(UTC)
CeceliaJ

United States

Was thanked: 52 time(s) in 41 post(s)
Cricut vinyl is indoor vinyl. You can purchase outdoor vinyl to put on your car window. With anything it will not last forever. I have had vinyl on my glass of my screen door that is facing south and have had no problem with it! A couple of sites to check out is Expressions vinyl. I've ordered from them before with very good results. There are some other places people use, I just cant remember the names right now, sorry. All I did was pick a color I wanted, cut what I needed and put it on my window with no problem. It is not really a complicated process. There are also great videos out there to show you how. Good luck and have fun!!! I also did not mirror it! It is exposed to the elements with no problem.
Cindy J Offline
#4 Posted : Sunday, July 15, 2012 10:12:19 PM(UTC)
Cindy J

Was thanked: 65 time(s) in 49 post(s)
I put vinyl lettering on my car a few years ago. This was actually my first vinyl project and other than lining it up perfectly, I hardly had any problems with it. I'm attaching a pic of the final product for you but the overall process is pretty simple: I used regular indoor Cricut vinyl (if I remember correctly) and adhered it directly to the outside of the car window (no need to flip/mirror it that way). It stayed on through rain and snow and with my back wipers on, although the lettering was at the top of my window so the wipers barely touched them. It lasted for over a year and then I decided to take it off myself and then, when I actually intended for it to come off, it came off very easily.
Cindy J attached the following image(s):
20100417_01_02.jpg
cbrown4790806c62f1 Offline
#5 Posted : Tuesday, October 23, 2012 4:22:05 PM(UTC)
cbrown4790806c62f1

ORACAL High Performance Cast Vinyl 15" x 10 Yard Roll
This value-priced 8-year cast film offers impressive cutting and weeding properties as well as minimal shrinkage for durable, dimensionally stable applications such as architectural signage, vehicle and fleet graphics. It applies well to irregular surfaces, including corrugations and rivets. Thermal print compatible. 79 high gloss colors and transparent.
http://www.uscutter.com/...-Roll-Punched-ORS7511510
unregistered Offline
#6 Posted : Tuesday, October 23, 2012 4:34:00 PM(UTC)
unregistered

Was thanked: 171 time(s) in 125 post(s)
Quote:
I got the bright idea to do "bon apetite" over my kitchen window and even he says this was a nightmare to install. Getting the spacing between the letters and making sure each letter was completely horizontal was not an easy task even for a professional.

No offense here - but I am very much just a hobbyist, and I have found cutting and applying words to walls very simple. Takes me only a couple minutes. It is harder if you have lots of words, but a yard stick and some pencil marks makes it easy to line up and tranfser the vinyl.
K.Dee :o) Offline
#7 Posted : Friday, November 02, 2012 5:15:32 PM(UTC)
K.Dee :o)

Canada

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Why is no one mentioning the use of transfer tape for your designs? Keeping words and letters straight is a non issue with the use of transfer tape. My first project was a full sheet design, words and graphics. It cut like a dream and with the use of transfer tape it went on perfectly straight with no fidgeting or bother. Even the sign PROs use transfer tape! Cricut has made vinyl designing so easy for us, even the beginners. There is nothing scary about it at all!
glynis.rose.jones2e5fb439 Offline
#8 Posted : Sunday, November 04, 2012 3:04:59 AM(UTC)
glynis.rose.jones2e5fb439

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
If you are applying vinyl lettering to any smooth surface with transfer tape a good squirt of water with a little washing up liquid in it will give you some 'slide' and working time to position the lettering perfectly. When satisfied use a credit card or vinyl applicator to squeegee the water from under the vinyl.

Any decent signmakers / graphics / banner companies will have vinyl of all types, normal, frosted etc. there is even a semi-transparent one you can use to make 'stained glass' window graphics. They usually have transfer tape in stock too.