Flag
  • Sign In
  • 0 items
  • Search
Welcome Guest! Please login to enable all features.

Notification

Icon
Error

dpolkadots Offline
#1 Posted : Tuesday, July 10, 2012 2:43:00 PM(UTC)
dpolkadots

Rank: Advanced Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 9/14/2010(UTC)
Posts: 152

Thanks: 13 times
Was thanked: 33 time(s) in 27 post(s)
So my Gypsy died yesterday and I cannot find a replacement that doesn't cost over $250 Sad. So....now i am going to have to use Cricut Craft Room (which I do NOT want to do). The CS people were absolutely NO HELP! Their exact words were "consider yourself lucky that you got as long out of your Gypsy as you did" HHHHHMMMMPPPPPP Some Customer Service! I am VERY VERY sad about this since I used my Gypsy for EVERYTHING! In fact, I don't know if I remember how to use my Cricut without it. If I didn't have so much invested in Cricut I would sell all of it and go with another company, but I don't want to lose my butt on it so I will try to manage without it.

Anyway, before I go through the trouble of downloading the software for CCR, I have some questions.
First, will I be able to "hide" things like I could with my G?
Second, I will only be allowed to cut from one cartridge at a time, since obviously my cartridges have been linked, right???
Third, what will I need to be able to connect the computer to my Cricut?
Fourth, if I buy a cartridge and "link" it to the CCR will I be able to sell it later or does it work like the G does?
 1 user thanked dpolkadots for this useful post.
Gadget girl on 1/26/2013(UTC)
couponlover Offline
#2 Posted : Tuesday, July 10, 2012 2:51:49 PM(UTC)
couponlover

Rank: Advanced Member

Medals: Cricut Circle Member: Member of the Cricut Circle

Groups: Circle Member, Registered
Joined: 12/8/2010(UTC)
Posts: 986
United States
Location: California

Thanks: 377 times
Was thanked: 490 time(s) in 316 post(s)
Originally Posted by: dpolkadots Go to Quoted Post
So my Gypsy died yesterday and I cannot find a replacement that doesn't cost over $250 Sad. So....now i am going to have to use Cricut Craft Room (which I do NOT want to do). The CS people were absolutely NO HELP! Their exact words were "consider yourself lucky that you got as long out of your Gypsy as you did" HHHHHMMMMPPPPPP Some Customer Service! I am VERY VERY sad about this since I used my Gypsy for EVERYTHING! In fact, I don't know if I remember how to use my Cricut without it. If I didn't have so much invested in Cricut I would sell all of it and go with another company, but I don't want to lose my butt on it so I will try to manage without it.

Anyway, before I go through the trouble of downloading the software for CCR, I have some questions.
First, will I be able to "hide" things like I could with my G?
Second, I will only be allowed to cut from one cartridge at a time, since obviously my cartridges have been linked, right???
Third, what will I need to be able to connect the computer to my Cricut?
Fourth, if I buy a cartridge and "link" it to the CCR will I be able to sell it later or does it work like the G does?


1) yes you can hide contours
2) you can cut from multiple carts regardless of whether any are linked. If they are not linked to CCR then you have to insert each cart when you make a cut from that cart
3) you use the USB cord I think it came with machine
4) not sure but I assume Eula says you aren't suppose to sell once linked....

Hth
Jen
jscraftylady Offline
#3 Posted : Tuesday, July 10, 2012 3:04:32 PM(UTC)
jscraftylady

Rank: Advanced Member

Medals: Cricut Circle Member: Member of the Cricut Circle

Groups: Registered, Circle Member
Joined: 11/18/2006(UTC)
Posts: 3,721
Location: Alabama

Thanks: 552 times
Was thanked: 2308 time(s) in 1241 post(s)
I will just add that the hide contour feature in CCR is terrible. You do not have the same options that you do on the Gypsy. If you use this function a lot, I am sorry to say you will probably by very disappointed with CCR. I know I was.Cursing
SuzieQ Offline
#4 Posted : Tuesday, July 10, 2012 3:08:35 PM(UTC)
SuzieQ

Rank: Advanced Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 5/24/2011(UTC)
Posts: 141
Canada

Thanks: 92 times
Was thanked: 65 time(s) in 48 post(s)
Sorry about your Gypsy. I know it is hard to change especially when it is out of your control. All I can say, is try to embrace CCR with a little bit of optimism. If the program works well for you I am guessing you will learn to like it. I do know though that there are still some crafters out there that are still having too much trouble with it to find it enjoyable. I am lucky that CCR has always worked very well for me. It does most of the things I want it to do. I think we all have a wish list of improvements. I know for you though the big difference will be having to be logged onto the internet which you currently don't have to do. So give it a try. I will keep my fingers crossed for you that it does not turn into a frustrating exercise. Let us know how you get on. I hope that you will find a replacement gypsy soon, I am sure if you love it so much you won't find CCR to be the sole answer. Good luck.
scrapalette Offline
#5 Posted : Tuesday, July 10, 2012 3:08:52 PM(UTC)
scrapalette

Rank: Advanced Member

Medals: Cricut Circle Member: Member of the Cricut Circle

Groups: Circle Member, Registered
Joined: 7/12/2008(UTC)
Posts: 23,737
United States
Location: FB: Cricut Lovers Guide to Design Space

Thanks: 8540 times
Was thanked: 19028 time(s) in 8503 post(s)
Sorry your Gypsy died, but I'm not sure what you wanted CS to do. They can't revive it, PC doesn't have any Gypsies in stock and I don't think the CS rep was trying to be mean, but maybe {like me} they have a more sarcastic sense of humor. Huh

couponlover gave the answers but I just wanted to say that when you link a cart to CCR, you are actually linking it through CCR to your cricut.com account. Nothing is written to the cart {that I'm aware of} like when you link to a Gypsy. So, in theory, the cart could be deleted from your cricut.com account.

I love the hide contour on CCR. Select the image, click the Hide button below it, it opens in another screen and all you have to do is mouse around the image until the line(s) you want to hide turn red and click. No more clicking directly on the line like DS {I never liked the Gypsy functons}. When all the lines are hidden, exit that screen and your image with the lines hidden is saved. You can copy and paste it and even go back and unhide lines if you want,
Kut-n-Print Offline
#6 Posted : Tuesday, July 10, 2012 3:18:44 PM(UTC)
Kut-n-Print

Rank: Advanced Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 12/14/2008(UTC)
Posts: 1,383
Location: Florida

Thanks: 325 times
Was thanked: 904 time(s) in 437 post(s)
Hide Contour is better in CCR in another way too because once a piece is hidden it vanishes and does not hang around and get in the way. The downside that has disappointed people is that Hide Contour does not work with open paths so some things like the tick marks and facial features can't be hidden. That's a bug I hope we will see repaired soon.
 1 user thanked Kut-n-Print for this useful post.
mom2sidsquid on 7/10/2012(UTC)
Mercy Offline
#7 Posted : Tuesday, July 10, 2012 3:29:04 PM(UTC)
Mercy

Rank: Advanced Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 4/22/2009(UTC)
Posts: 9,408

Thanks: 679 times
Was thanked: 2082 time(s) in 1202 post(s)
Originally Posted by: scrapalette Go to Quoted Post
Sorry your Gypsy died, but I'm not sure what you wanted CS to do. They can't revive it, PC doesn't have any Gypsies in stock and I don't think the CS rep was trying to be mean, but maybe {like me} they have a more sarcastic sense of humor. Huh

couponlover gave the answers but I just wanted to say that when you link a cart to CCR, you are actually linking it through CCR to your cricut.com account. Nothing is written to the cart {that I'm aware of} like when you link to a Gypsy. So, in theory, the cart could be deleted from your cricut.com account.

I love the hide contour on CCR. Select the image, click the Hide button below it, it opens in another screen and all you have to do is mouse around the image until the line(s) you want to hide turn red and click. No more clicking directly on the line like DS {I never liked the Gypsy functons}. When all the lines are hidden, exit that screen and your image with the lines hidden is saved. You can copy and paste it and even go back and unhide lines if you want,


I was told that once a cart is linked to your account via the G or via CCR, the cart is linked to your account forever as it will not be unlinked. I was not given the CCR details about what if anything is embedded on the cart or not as I do not know that process.
scrapalette Offline
#8 Posted : Tuesday, July 10, 2012 4:45:49 PM(UTC)
scrapalette

Rank: Advanced Member

Medals: Cricut Circle Member: Member of the Cricut Circle

Groups: Circle Member, Registered
Joined: 7/12/2008(UTC)
Posts: 23,737
United States
Location: FB: Cricut Lovers Guide to Design Space

Thanks: 8540 times
Was thanked: 19028 time(s) in 8503 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Mercy Go to Quoted Post
I was told that once a cart is linked to your account via the G or via CCR, the cart is linked to your account forever as it will not be unlinked. I was not given the CCR details about what if anything is embedded on the cart or not as I do not know that process.


Guess we're talking to different people. Huh
Mercy Offline
#9 Posted : Tuesday, July 10, 2012 5:44:52 PM(UTC)
Mercy

Rank: Advanced Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 4/22/2009(UTC)
Posts: 9,408

Thanks: 679 times
Was thanked: 2082 time(s) in 1202 post(s)
Originally Posted by: scrapalette Go to Quoted Post
Guess we're talking to different people. Huh


Guess so but I will check on it again! Perhaps things have changed but we shall see! Make sure you check with the person who told you to be sure things have not changed on their end and if we are still getting conflicting information then the two people should converse so we will get one answer.

Edited by user Tuesday, July 10, 2012 5:49:15 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

 1 user thanked Mercy for this useful post.
mom2sidsquid on 7/10/2012(UTC)
CherylfromOz Offline
#10 Posted : Tuesday, July 10, 2012 11:14:03 PM(UTC)
CherylfromOz

Rank: Advanced Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 6/15/2007(UTC)
Posts: 1,815
Australia
Location: Queensland Australia

Thanks: 265 times
Was thanked: 249 time(s) in 154 post(s)
And this is why I believe the linking to the Gypsy should only last as long as the gypsy does, too many of them are dying
 1 user thanked CherylfromOz for this useful post.
Gadget girl on 1/26/2013(UTC)
Dragonfly50 Offline
#11 Posted : Tuesday, July 10, 2012 11:18:10 PM(UTC)
Dragonfly50

Rank: Advanced Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 5/3/2011(UTC)
Posts: 2,488
United States

Thanks: 1238 times
Was thanked: 1221 time(s) in 728 post(s)
I'd like to suggest you give CCR a try.
I waited until about a month ago to give it a go because we had slow internet and my computer was from the stoneages.
I have not used a Gypsy (did't want to link my carts) just Design Studio.
I have to say I love using it.
I still wish you didn't have to always be online but it beats waiting 15 min for DS to load and having carts linked and unable to sell them if I ever want. (or someone who inherits them)

I find the hide contour real easy to use but there are some cuts that you cannot hide even if they aren't attached to the rest of the cut.
I love that you can have each layer have a different color and there is a huge range of colors to choose from.
I've just begun to discover the things it can do.
So in conclusion I'd say give it a go it might surprise you.

D-
dpolkadots Offline
#12 Posted : Wednesday, July 11, 2012 7:59:33 AM(UTC)
dpolkadots

Rank: Advanced Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 9/14/2010(UTC)
Posts: 152

Thanks: 13 times
Was thanked: 33 time(s) in 27 post(s)
Originally Posted by: CherylfromOz Go to Quoted Post
And this is why I believe the linking to the Gypsy should only last as long as the gypsy does, too many of them are dying


I completely agree!
Sherri Kay Offline
#13 Posted : Wednesday, July 11, 2012 11:47:32 PM(UTC)
Sherri Kay

Rank: Advanced Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 1/9/2010(UTC)
Posts: 6,732
United States
Location: Minnesota

Thanks: 428 times
Was thanked: 2396 time(s) in 2148 post(s)
There is a Gypsy bundle on sale now for $149.99. Click on the shopping tab above. Hope you get one as Mercy said they had a very low quantity.
Leese335 Offline
#14 Posted : Monday, December 03, 2012 7:18:48 PM(UTC)
Leese335

Rank: Newbie

Groups: Registered
Joined: 1/17/2009(UTC)
Posts: 2

My mom's gypsy died and she had like 70+ cricut cartridges linked to it. She bought a new gypsy and cricut told her to mail both the old gypsy and the new gypsy in and they would (some how, not sure) setup the new gypsy so she could relink her cartridges to the new gypsy. So if you ever do find a gypsy for a price you're willing to buy, you can get your previous linked cartridges on it.
scrapalette Offline
#15 Posted : Monday, December 03, 2012 7:22:36 PM(UTC)
scrapalette

Rank: Advanced Member

Medals: Cricut Circle Member: Member of the Cricut Circle

Groups: Circle Member, Registered
Joined: 7/12/2008(UTC)
Posts: 23,737
United States
Location: FB: Cricut Lovers Guide to Design Space

Thanks: 8540 times
Was thanked: 19028 time(s) in 8503 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Leese335 Go to Quoted Post
My mom's gypsy died and she had like 70+ cricut cartridges linked to it. She bought a new gypsy and cricut told her to mail both the old gypsy and the new gypsy in and they would (some how, not sure) setup the new gypsy so she could relink her cartridges to the new gypsy. So if you ever do find a gypsy for a price you're willing to buy, you can get your previous linked cartridges on it.


What PC will do is change the serial number on the new Gypsy to the serial number of the broken Gypsy. That way, when you plug in a cart that was linked to the old gypsy, the serial number that was written onto the cart by linking will again match the serial number on the new Gypsy and the cart will re-link.
pammlla Offline
#16 Posted : Monday, December 03, 2012 11:14:46 PM(UTC)
pammlla

Rank: Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 4/11/2012(UTC)
Posts: 15
United States
Location: United States

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Quote:
couponlover gave the answers but I just wanted to say that when you link a cart to CCR, you are actually linking it through CCR to your cricut.com account. Nothing is written to the cart {that I'm aware of} like when you link to a Gypsy. So, in theory, the cart could be deleted from your cricut.com account.


I'm trying to understand this, but it makes no sense to me. I agree that we were told that if you link to CCR, then the cart is registered to your Cricut.com Account. However if there is also nothing written onto the cart when linking with CCR, then you should be able to link that same cart to a Gypsy and it should not know it was linked to CCR until you went to update your gypsy. If you have never plugged your gypsy into a computer and the cart had not been encoded by CCR, there would be no way gypsy would know your cart was linked. But it knows and it won't let you link a cart to the Gypsy after linking to CCR. According to others who have posted if you link to CCR first, then sync your Gypsy, the linked carts should update and be available on your Gypsy. They say it works, mine does not! I don't know why my does not, but it doesn't.
scrapalette Offline
#17 Posted : Tuesday, December 04, 2012 5:16:51 AM(UTC)
scrapalette

Rank: Advanced Member

Medals: Cricut Circle Member: Member of the Cricut Circle

Groups: Circle Member, Registered
Joined: 7/12/2008(UTC)
Posts: 23,737
United States
Location: FB: Cricut Lovers Guide to Design Space

Thanks: 8540 times
Was thanked: 19028 time(s) in 8503 post(s)
Originally Posted by: pammlla Go to Quoted Post
I'm trying to understand this, but it makes no sense to me. I agree that we were told that if you link to CCR, then the cart is registered to your Cricut.com Account. However if there is also nothing written onto the cart when linking with CCR, then you should be able to link that same cart to a Gypsy and it should not know it was linked to CCR until you went to update your gypsy. If you have never plugged your gypsy into a computer and the cart had not been encoded by CCR, there would be no way gypsy would know your cart was linked. But it knows and it won't let you link a cart to the Gypsy after linking to CCR. According to others who have posted if you link to CCR first, then sync your Gypsy, the linked carts should update and be available on your Gypsy. They say it works, mine does not! I don't know why my does not, but it doesn't.


When you sync your Gypsy, it reads your cricut.com account. I don't know why your carts that are linked to your cricut.com {through CCR} aren't activated on your Gypsy when you sync it {assuming you use the same email to register your gypsy as you did to create your CCR account}. I'd call PC.

Edited by user Tuesday, December 04, 2012 5:22:30 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

jscraftylady Offline
#18 Posted : Tuesday, December 04, 2012 11:36:24 AM(UTC)
jscraftylady

Rank: Advanced Member

Medals: Cricut Circle Member: Member of the Cricut Circle

Groups: Registered, Circle Member
Joined: 11/18/2006(UTC)
Posts: 3,721
Location: Alabama

Thanks: 552 times
Was thanked: 2308 time(s) in 1241 post(s)
Originally Posted by: scrapalette Go to Quoted Post
When you sync your Gypsy, it reads your cricut.com account. I don't know why your carts that are linked to your cricut.com {through CCR} aren't activated on your Gypsy when you sync it {assuming you use the same email to register your gypsy as you did to create your CCR account}. I'd call PC.


I just tried this with my brand new, never been used before Gypsy. I took a cart that was linked to CCR ONLY and tried to link it to my Gypsy and it would not let me. It told me it was linked to another Gypsy which I know it is not because it just came out of the blister pack. It must write to the cart when you link to CCR, and it must write info about the Gypsy I have synced with my CCR account.

It did sync to the Gypsy I actually use when I updated it. But it makes me wonder whether or not it would have Synced to the brand new Gypsy. I am thinking we can only have one Gypsy on our cricut.com account, right? If I update my brand new Gypsy, will it sync all the carts I have linked through CCR (and not on my other Gypsy). I wouldn't think so.
scrapalette Offline
#19 Posted : Tuesday, December 04, 2012 2:16:03 PM(UTC)
scrapalette

Rank: Advanced Member

Medals: Cricut Circle Member: Member of the Cricut Circle

Groups: Circle Member, Registered
Joined: 7/12/2008(UTC)
Posts: 23,737
United States
Location: FB: Cricut Lovers Guide to Design Space

Thanks: 8540 times
Was thanked: 19028 time(s) in 8503 post(s)
Originally Posted by: jscraftylady Go to Quoted Post
I just tried this with my brand new, never been used before Gypsy. I took a cart that was linked to CCR ONLY and tried to link it to my Gypsy and it would not let me. It told me it was linked to another Gypsy which I know it is not because it just came out of the blister pack. It must write to the cart when you link to CCR, and it must write info about the Gypsy I have synced with my CCR account.

It did sync to the Gypsy I actually use when I updated it. But it makes me wonder whether or not it would have Synced to the brand new Gypsy. I am thinking we can only have one Gypsy on our cricut.com account, right? If I update my brand new Gypsy, will it sync all the carts I have linked through CCR (and not on my other Gypsy). I wouldn't think so.


Since you can only have one gypsy per account that receives the info {even though you can register more than one to the same account~ I have two registered to my account}, I'm not surprised your second brand new never used Gypsy rejected the cart. It knew that cart was linked to your cricut.com account and thus to your other Gypsy.
Roxanne99 Offline
#20 Posted : Thursday, December 06, 2012 8:42:08 PM(UTC)
Roxanne99

Rank: Advanced Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 5/17/2006(UTC)
Posts: 714
Location: Colorado

Thanks: 310 times
Was thanked: 215 time(s) in 154 post(s)
I'm so confused. I haven't updated my Gypsy for almost a year because I'm afraid something bad is going to happen. But I can't link some of the carts that I've bought since then, so I'm getting ready to update it pretty soon.

Question.... if or when my Gypsy dies, can I link my carts that are now linked to my Gypsy to CCR? If I can link them, will I be able to design something in CCR using more than one cart and have it cut using my Expression without me putting carts into the machine?

If I can't link them to CCR, are there any Gypsy still for sale? I think I'd like to buy one "in case".

Roxanne
jscraftylady Offline
#21 Posted : Thursday, December 06, 2012 9:38:08 PM(UTC)
jscraftylady

Rank: Advanced Member

Medals: Cricut Circle Member: Member of the Cricut Circle

Groups: Registered, Circle Member
Joined: 11/18/2006(UTC)
Posts: 3,721
Location: Alabama

Thanks: 552 times
Was thanked: 2308 time(s) in 1241 post(s)
Originally Posted by: scrapalette Go to Quoted Post
Since you can only have one gypsy per account that receives the info {even though you can register more than one to the same account~ I have two registered to my account}, I'm not surprised your second brand new never used Gypsy rejected the cart. It knew that cart was linked to your cricut.com account and thus to your other Gypsy.


Right, so linking a cart to CCR must write to the actual cart because the cartridge I tried had never been linked to my Gypsy and my Gypsy had not been synced since I linked it to CCR.
jscraftylady Offline
#22 Posted : Thursday, December 06, 2012 9:41:24 PM(UTC)
jscraftylady

Rank: Advanced Member

Medals: Cricut Circle Member: Member of the Cricut Circle

Groups: Registered, Circle Member
Joined: 11/18/2006(UTC)
Posts: 3,721
Location: Alabama

Thanks: 552 times
Was thanked: 2308 time(s) in 1241 post(s)
So here is another question, would a cart linked to CCR through an account that does not have a Gypsy synced to it be able to be linked to a Gypsy? Or is linking it to CCR pretty much the same as linking it to another Gypsy?
Users browsing this topic
Guest
Forum Jump  
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.

Powered by YAF | YAF © 2003-2014, Yet Another Forum.NET
This page was generated in 1.334 seconds.
nebo-cricut-02