Flag
  • Sign In
  • 0 items
  • Search
Welcome Guest! Please login to enable all features.

Notification

Icon
Error

caseynrandy3313f4c261 Offline
#1 Posted : Tuesday, July 31, 2012 10:35:52 AM(UTC)
caseynrandy3313f4c261

Groups: Registered

Hey, I just bought the cricut imagine. Has anyone made car decals with the vinyl yet? I have my design I want already saved in the craft room, I'm just not sure how to make it. Do I need the transfer tape?? Please help, thanks
cherylbennett50432b3231 Offline
#2 Posted : Tuesday, July 31, 2012 10:59:25 AM(UTC)
cherylbennett50432b3231

That's my favorite thing to make. I use an Expression and have made several. Oracal is the best vinyl for durability. I've had the same decals on my car almost 2 years and they are good as new. You need transfer tape, but could use wide blue painter's tape or even clear contact paper, but transfer tape does the best job. It helps to use a wooden spoon or other round, smooth tool when you apply to your car windows. And don't clean with Windex, use plain ol' soap and water and dry well first. Otherwise, happy cutting :)BigGrin
CraftySanSan Offline
#3 Posted : Wednesday, August 01, 2012 7:43:54 AM(UTC)
CraftySanSan

Was thanked: 348 time(s) in 215 post(s)
I don't know if the Cricut vinyl in the imagine will last very long. I haven't tryed it. But yes I would use transfer tape. Make a small sample and try it out and the get it wet to see if the ink does not run.
KimBess1 Offline
#4 Posted : Wednesday, August 01, 2012 9:37:17 PM(UTC)
KimBess1

United States

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 4 post(s)
I'm not familiar with the Imagine, but if it is like an inkjet printer, there are transparent vinyl types out there that are made specifically for printing. Regular matte vinyl (cricut vinyl) isn't meant for printing on, only for cutting out shapes. Most of the time you need a solvent-based inkjet for vinyl, like the machines they use for car wraps. Check with cricketvinylsupplies.com, they might have some, or can get it. These types of vinyl are glossy and specifically for outdoor/vehicle use. They will last much longer outside than the matte vinyl would.
unregistered Offline
#5 Posted : Thursday, August 02, 2012 8:10:38 AM(UTC)
unregistered

Was thanked: 171 time(s) in 125 post(s)
If you are using the Imagine brand vinyl (printable) - I don't think it is water proof. I have used inkjet printable vinyl that I have ordered online and it IS water proof - but not fade proof. It is also EXPENSIVE!

I think you can buy a spray to make it more fade resistant and also you can buy a clear laminate to go over the top. I have not tried either one.

You can use the Imagine to cut regular vinyl for car decals without printing - that would be the best way to go, IMO.
Sportsmomma23 Offline
#6 Posted : Friday, August 17, 2012 2:13:52 PM(UTC)
Sportsmomma23

United States

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 2 post(s)
I have made many for my van. The white tends to dull a little, but other than that, no problems. So many possibilities :)
jessica.henkc9d07bbb Offline
#7 Posted : Saturday, August 18, 2012 8:07:51 PM(UTC)
jessica.henkc9d07bbb

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Can someone please help?! I have had my cricut for about a year now, and the number one thing I would love to do is create 3 letter swirl/script monograms (shown below).
What would be the best font cartridge to buy?
I am open to printing each letter separately, and piecing together the swirls myself, as the project I am doing will probably be too large to cut all 3 letters swirled together at once. Or I would love to know how to get the cricut to print it out for me for smaller projects

thanks for your help!! Here is what I would like to do:

http://media-cache-ec3.p...097740227_9dwX2RLi_f.jpg

jessica.henkc9d07bbb attached the following image(s):
monogram.jpg
 1 user thanked jessica.henkc9d07bbb for this useful post.
mhjudge67 on 3/17/2013(UTC)
unregistered Offline
#8 Posted : Monday, August 20, 2012 9:12:13 AM(UTC)
unregistered

Was thanked: 171 time(s) in 125 post(s)
I don't know what cartridge would have anything similar.

I use Monogram KK font which is very similar to that Monogram, and is a free font. I think that actual monogram is called Vine and it is a monogram font that you purchase. You are not able to use either on your machine, unfortunately. I use SCAL with my Cricut to cut fonts, but you cannot get that anymore.

Hopefully this bumps up your post so someone can answer what cartridge is best for monograms. They are lot of fun to do!
amarshall41186a92b1f79 Offline
#9 Posted : Sunday, March 03, 2013 4:24:32 PM(UTC)
amarshall41186a92b1f79

my friend just opened a business and is looking to have his company name on the side of his truck and i was just wondering if the vinyl could stay on the door or bed of his truck?
EagleMom Offline
#10 Posted : Tuesday, March 05, 2013 11:07:35 AM(UTC)
EagleMom

I have used vinyl on the windows of our cars and they have stayed on beautifully. I used Oracal that I get from E-Bay instead of Cricut vinyl as Oracal is made for outside use.

You will love making them.

BigGrin

Jeanne
mhjudge67 Offline
#11 Posted : Sunday, March 17, 2013 6:17:44 PM(UTC)
mhjudge67

Was thanked: 59 time(s) in 49 post(s)
Originally Posted by: jessica.henkc9d07bbb Go to Quoted Post
Can someone please help?! I have had my cricut for about a year now, and the number one thing I would love to do is create 3 letter swirl/script monograms (shown below).
What would be the best font cartridge to buy?
I am open to printing each letter separately, and piecing together the swirls myself, as the project I am doing will probably be too large to cut all 3 letters swirled together at once. Or I would love to know how to get the cricut to print it out for me for smaller projects

thanks for your help!! Here is what I would like to do:

http://media-cache-ec3.p...097740227_9dwX2RLi_f.jpg

That is so pretty, I was hopping someone had an answer for you. You may be able to get a digi font from the ccr, I haven't been able to connect to it to cut,
deleted Offline
#12 Posted : Wednesday, March 20, 2013 6:37:22 AM(UTC)
deleted

Was thanked: 76 time(s) in 54 post(s)
It is the Vine monogram, which is not available for any Cricut machine.

Here is a link to a PDF creator - you can print it from there or use a different brand machine to cut it.

They are fun to print for cards or frames - she has the Vine monogram, Chevon, and quatrefoil type monograms to create. It takes a little fiddling to understand how it works (PDF), but once you figure it out - it is a very cool little printable!

For Chi Sake blog - Monogram printables
pink_hippo_designseb2540e7 Offline
#13 Posted : Tuesday, February 04, 2014 10:42:44 AM(UTC)
pink_hippo_designseb2540e7

when cutting the oracal vinyl, can you layer the colors? as in will it stick to itself as well as the window, or can you just do a single color?
gem.stickoutart2f24bf06 Offline
#14 Posted : Tuesday, April 01, 2014 2:18:49 PM(UTC)
gem.stickoutart2f24bf06

Originally Posted by: caseynrandy3313f4c261 Go to Quoted Post
Hey, I just bought the cricut imagine. Has anyone made car decals with the vinyl yet? I have my design I want already saved in the craft room, I'm just not sure how to make it. Do I need the transfer tape?? Please help, thanks

Cool Hi! got my vinyl and or decal and had pasted it on my car alone. Maybe, one good thing is that the 3M sticker I got was easy to put on and no need for me to cut, for it was cut-shaped already.

Installing decal vinyl 3m sticker