Flag
  • Sign In
  • 0 items
  • Search
Welcome Guest! Please login to enable all features.

Notification

Icon
Error

BrendaSelanders Offline
#1 Posted : Friday, September 24, 2010 11:53:57 AM(UTC)
BrendaSelanders

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Hoping someone out there can help with settings. I am trying to cut a 1 3/5 circle with text on the inside on cardstock. Paper is tearing and I'm sure I haven't got my settings right. Any help from the experts??
♥Carol♥ Offline
#2 Posted : Friday, September 24, 2010 12:00:20 PM(UTC)
♥Carol♥

Was thanked: 2765 time(s) in 2202 post(s)
Can you clarify that a little bit? Are you cutting a 1.75" circle that has printed text? Or does the inside of the circle have cut out lettering?
BrendaSelanders Offline
#3 Posted : Friday, September 24, 2010 12:09:57 PM(UTC)
BrendaSelanders

Sorry - it is a 1 3/4 circle with cut out lettering on the inside. Firt time I've tried to do this on such a small scale. I'm hoping it can be done or I'll have to change my plan.
sherrihend180 Offline
#4 Posted : Friday, September 24, 2010 12:19:12 PM(UTC)
sherrihend180

Medals: Cricut Circle Member: Member of the Cricut Circle

Groups: Circle Member, Registered
Canada

Was thanked: 831 time(s) in 639 post(s)
Have you tried speed of low and increasing your pressure and blade depth?

What kind of paper are you trying to cut out?
BrendaSelanders Offline
#5 Posted : Friday, September 24, 2010 12:24:14 PM(UTC)
BrendaSelanders

I have adjusted both speed and pressure. I am now putting in a new blade and adjusting the depth a bit. I just became a little impatient and was hoping someone had a quick answer. I should know by now that some things just require adjusting until it works. Oh and I am using a cardstock. Not real heavy, just some that was in a multi-pack from J's.
♥Carol♥ Offline
#6 Posted : Friday, September 24, 2010 12:27:00 PM(UTC)
♥Carol♥

BrendaSelanders wrote:
Sorry - it is a 1 3/4 circle with cut out lettering on the inside. Firt time I've tried to do this on such a small scale. I'm hoping it can be done or I'll have to change my plan.

And you hit the nail on the head ... the problem is most likely because of the intricate details and the tiny size. You are probably doing everything correctly, but the size is giving you problems. My basic rule of thumb for items of this type is ... "a little lower ... a little slower" Wink

What I mean is that I set the pressure and blade depth down a bit lower ... like med. pressure, and blade depth at 3 or 4 ... also, slow down your speed to medium or medium low. You may need to multi-cut your item.

There are some other contributing factors that may come into play ... make sure your mat is new or recently re-stickied ... and be sure that your paper is firmly pressed to the mat ... you want it to stay secure and not pop up. Another thing that may effect your cut is the type of paper you are using ... obviously, the thinner the paper is, the more susceptible it will be to tearing ... and the thicker it is the greater the likelihood will be that you'll need to do a multi-cut.

BTW ... do you have a Baby Bug? If so, and you need tips on how to do a multi-cut, let me know.

Good luck ... I hope these suggestions work for you. If all else fails ... you may need to cut your image at a larger size to get a good clean cut. (sorry, I know that isn't what you wanted to hear) ... try a practice run on some scratch paper.
BrendaSelanders Offline
#7 Posted : Friday, September 24, 2010 12:32:48 PM(UTC)
BrendaSelanders

Thanks so much Carol - I always have to try things that create challenge and I'm not real sure why. Anyway, I will change my mat and give it one more whirl. No I don't have the baby bug but I do know how to multi cut. We'll see what happens and again I knew I could count on this board to make sure I was going in the right direction. You girls are great!!!
♥Carol♥ Offline
#8 Posted : Friday, September 24, 2010 12:40:08 PM(UTC)
♥Carol♥

BrendaSelanders wrote:
Thanks so much Carol - I always have to try things that create challenge and I'm not real sure why. Anyway, I will change my mat and give it one more whirl. No I don't have the baby bug but I do know how to multi cut. We'll see what happens and again I knew I could count on this board to make sure I was going in the right direction. You girls are great!!!

Let us know how it turns out ... You've definitely selected a challenge, no question about it ... but if you can accomplish a cut this detailed and this small ... you will go on my list of "AWSOME CRAFTERS"!!!

BigGrin
BrendaSelanders Offline
#9 Posted : Friday, September 24, 2010 1:49:05 PM(UTC)
BrendaSelanders

Woo Hoo - all the adjustments worked. I have successfully cut 30 of the small detailed discs I was wanting. How - I think it was a combination of a new mat and the multi-cut. I did also reduce the depth from 4 to 3 so maybe that helped. I am making baby shower invites and it is my first attempt at card making. Thanks so much for all your help.