Flag
  • Sign In
  • 0 items
  • Search
Welcome Guest! Please login to enable all features.

Notification

Icon
Error

MsBEEhaven Offline
#1 Posted : Monday, October 01, 2012 7:47:36 PM(UTC)
MsBEEhaven

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 233 time(s) in 150 post(s)
Hi, there! Has anyone ever turned on their Gypsy and nothing happens...black screen? I thought I heard someone call it "the black screen of death," but I can't remember where I heard that. Say it isn't so.

I've had it for several years. I'd be grateful for any help!

GaraleenCrying
Sherri Kay Offline
#2 Posted : Monday, October 01, 2012 9:59:42 PM(UTC)
Sherri Kay

United States

Was thanked: 2396 time(s) in 2148 post(s)
Sorry to say, it does sound like the black screen of death. Better give PC a call tomorrow. Crying
 1 user thanked Sherri Kay for this useful post.
MsBEEhaven on 11/3/2012(UTC)
jcarlosg007a1dd479a Offline
#3 Posted : Wednesday, October 03, 2012 10:49:28 AM(UTC)
jcarlosg007a1dd479a

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Oh yeah I got it after only using 7-10 times, I have a daughter with CP and is a quadraplegic and my life doesn't revolve around crafting I wish it did since I bought everything though. But replacing it is not an option I don't have another $200. So when I pay that much and the company knows it's a Gypsy Malfuntion issue they should compensate fairly. I called Customer Service and they told me Since it's out of warranty, They can't replace it I say so if I had used it everyday I would have known soon enough that it needed to be replaced? I don't think so! If the company knows it is a"malfunction" of their product with all your LINKED cartridges they should replace it! Currently they tell me "if you choose to buy a new one, you can send in your old one, and we'll relese the codes of the linked cartridges, and you will have to ship them your old Gypsy $200 THIS DOES NOT COMPUTE, I BOUGHT THE CARTRIDES, I BOUGHT THE MALFUNCTIONED GYPSY, YOU SHOULD RELEASE THE CARTRIDGES AND LET ME RE-LINK ON MY OWN,IF I CHOOSE TO DO SO WHEN I HAVE $$ TO BUY A NEW ONE IF EVER, WITHOUT COSTING ME MORE $$$$$$$$$$ TO SHIP IT TO YOU AND YOU KEEP MY OLD ONE, I SHOULD BE ABLE TO RECYCLE IT AND GET $ FOR IT OR DO WHAT I WANT WITH IT! IT DOESN'T WORK, $25 DOES BUY A LOT OF GROCERIES.
OH BUT WAIT THEY'LL GIVE ME $45 TO GO TOWARDS A NEW $200 GYPSY!
$165.00
$SHIPPING$ OLD ONE $5.00 TO GET CARTS RE-LINKED AND I BELIEVE THEY SAID I HAVE TO SHIP THEM BOTH. THEY'LL SHIP THE NEW ONE WITH ALL THE CARTS BACK.
THEY KEEP THE $200 MALFUNCTIONED GYPSY
IS IT JUST ME
OR DOES THIS NOT MAKE SENSE.
WHEN SOMEONE PAYS THAT MUCH FOR SOMETHING THEY
EXPECT IT TO WORK WHEN THEY GO TO USE IT
NO MATTER HOW LONG IT TOOK THEM TO USE
IT 10,15,20 TIMES.
THAT'S IT I'VE LOST FAITH AND $$$$$ WHY SHOULD I SPEND MORE? SAME AS ALL THE OTHER TECHNOLOGY
STRESSFULL IT'S NOT WORTH IT!

1 user thanked jcarlosg007a1dd479a for this useful post.
jcarlosg007a1dd479a Offline
#4 Posted : Thursday, October 04, 2012 12:02:52 PM(UTC)
jcarlosg007a1dd479a

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Well after my last postGlare I must be fair and state what CS has done. I'm not one to just sit back and settle. Thank You to my wonderfully adorable Daughter Love with CP, because I have to deal with services and lack of assistance to receive themCrying , I still have to try and try again.Confused
I called CS today informed them I tried the update,they walked me through rebooting and such this time, last time they didn't do that Huh.
I asked to speak with a Supervisor and informed her of what the other representative told me that if I had used it more frequently I would haveknown it needed to be synced virtually every month and the black screen of death wouldn't have happened. I said well if that's the case then maybe it should have come with WIFI for $200, my computer is for business and as much as I love craftingDrool I don't have the luxry to do it all the time with my daughter and life, but when one pays $200 it should work no matter how long it takes you to use it "I'd say 5 years is reasonable for a firmware issue" and since it is a Manufacturer issue not a user issue, I'm just out $200? So she ask me what I think should be done. I said I am an artisian of gold and silver jewelry and if something goes wrong with it even in 10 years the consumer can ship it back to me and I will fix it at no cost to them except for them to ship it to me. It's a matter of good customer relations, and since my sales are by word of mouth and good customer service big advertising campaigns are not a big part of my business "I forgot your commercial" you wouldn'tunderstand, nevermind.
At anyrate she asks me is the Gypsy something you want or just don't want to use it anymore? I said if I didn't want it I wouldn'thave bought it". Well after a little bit of underatanding that I like their product I just want to be able to use it when I need /can, she offered for me to ship it directly to her and she'll work on it maybe a refurbished one BigGrin. I can't complain!Cool
Thank You Cricut CS.
 1 user thanked jcarlosg007a1dd479a for this useful post.
Meece Offline
#5 Posted : Thursday, October 04, 2012 3:44:25 PM(UTC)
Meece

Medals: Cricut Circle Member: Member of the Cricut Circle

Groups: Circle Member, Registered

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
I just got the black screen of death yesterday and found this thread and a couple of others. I too am one who only uses the Gypsy occasionally, and it has been a while. Called PC earlier today and was told that it happened because I didn't use it often enough and that with electronics they recommend that you use them "every so often" so that the "parts continue to work." REALLY?

I told the gal that I understood she was just saying what she was told to, but that it was ridiculous to make that claim. I have lots of electronics, everybody has lots of electronics, and to say they break because of lack of use is not acceptable. She talked to me about what to do if I decide to buy a new Gypsy and seemed a little surprised when I said there was no way I'd buy a new one, not after this experience, and that I was very disappointed in PC and thought they were a better company than this.

After I got off the phone, I kept getting more annoyed and decided to call back and talk to a supervisor. After being on hold a long time, someone came on and said she had talked to a supervisor and that they are making an exception for me. I'm supposed to send in my Gypsy and they will try to repair it. They do not promise that they can fix it.

I'm hopeful that their fix will work and appreciate that they came up with a possible solution, but it shouldn't have taken a second phone call to have this offered. I really would like to be able to use it and have put a considerable amount of time and effort into learning how to use it. Not to mention there are saved projects that may have just vanished, and linking my cartridges was no small time commitment either. If this doesn't fix it, though, I will not buy another. Having such a pricey piece of equipment for less than 2 years, treating and storing it with care, no user damage, never dropping it, certainly not over-using it - there is absolutely no reason this should have happened.

Fingers crossed!
 1 user thanked Meece for this useful post.
MsBEEhaven Offline
#6 Posted : Saturday, November 03, 2012 8:34:31 PM(UTC)
MsBEEhaven

Was thanked: 233 time(s) in 150 post(s)
I don't know how many of you "black screen of death'ers" have tried letting the battery run down, but I have. After it is fully charged (and NOT BEFORE), I'm able to turn it on again and use it. The problem is, I can only use it for one or two sessions, then I get the black screen again. I read a post that said there was an update for this problem, but if you didn't update your Gypsy before it happened, you were out of luck. Still, as soon as my Gypsy is charged, I'm going to try to update it and see what happens. It's crazy, but I can't give up my Gypsy! I love it, I use it all the time, and I would sorely miss it if I had to do without it. It sounds like buying a new one is a bit of a hassle...send the old one in to Provo Craft and they have to load all your cartridges onto a new one. Still, that's better than nothing.

I am reading some dismal things about Provo Craft this evening, and it really depresses me. I have SO much $$ tied up in their products! It would make me sick if I couldn't rely on them to support their goods.
CricutCar Offline
#7 Posted : Saturday, November 03, 2012 9:46:59 PM(UTC)
CricutCar

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
I got the dreaded BSOD about two weeks ago. I called PC and was told they can't do anything for me because it is out of warranty. Of course, I can buy a new one, BUT THAT IS NOT HAPPENING! I've tried every trick/tip suggested on the MB, to no avail.
 1 user thanked CricutCar for this useful post.
MsBEEhaven on 11/4/2012(UTC)
texaskristae5e3f3fe Offline
#8 Posted : Monday, January 14, 2013 2:20:17 PM(UTC)
texaskristae5e3f3fe

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I just tried to turn my Gypsy on after not using it for about 6 months. I can't believe it just doesn't work. Black screen of death... powers on, but nothing on the screen and I have to reset it just to get the power button off. Trying to sync it with my computer now, but after reading all these posts, I am assuming it won't work at all. Along with the more that 40 cartridges that I purchased and sync'd into it. I'm with you guys, this stinks.