Flag
  • Sign In
  • 0 items
  • Search
Welcome Guest! Please login to enable all features.

Notification

Icon
Error

jmundle66a5746c75 Offline
#1 Posted : Tuesday, October 16, 2012 9:29:15 AM(UTC)
jmundle66a5746c75

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 2 post(s)
To all my fellow Cricut Craft-room users if you are running Norton as you antivirus you need to add the entire Craft-room directory and the entire Cricut Sync directory to the exclusion list. If you are not very computer savvy contact NortonCaseManager@symantec.com. in the subject line add the name Mohan Kumar. The number to call is 1-800-745-6061

Instructions for the Tech Savvy

1. Open your Norton Antivirus
2. Select (Settings)
3. Select (Antivirus and SONAR exclusions -Customize exclusions.
4. On the right had side of the screen you will see (Items to exclude from auto-Protect SONAR and download intelligence detection) select configure
5. Select ADD
6. Browse to Program files
7. Select Cricut Sync and Cricut Craft room

I hope this helps be Blessed :)
 4 users thanked jmundle66a5746c75 for this useful post.
Narelle on 10/16/2012(UTC), Kris Dietz on 10/21/2012(UTC), Cricut Tanja on 10/21/2012(UTC), dsparfd123e69a on 12/31/2012(UTC)
dmnclarkebe1d02f4 Offline
#2 Posted : Thursday, October 18, 2012 7:27:15 AM(UTC)
dmnclarkebe1d02f4

Did this solve your problem? When I called Cricut they did all these things to my Norton, but it still doesn't work. What happens when you email Nortorn, were they able to fix it? I just got a new computer, and was excited to have my cricut mini working, but am very frustrated that it won't work. If you have any insight could you please help me?

Thanks!

CricketCMV Offline
#3 Posted : Thursday, October 18, 2012 9:02:13 AM(UTC)
CricketCMV

Medals: Cricut Circle Member: Member of the Cricut Circle

Groups: Registered, Circle Member

Was thanked: 8160 time(s) in 4783 post(s)
I think it would be nice if ProvoCraft (our PCfriends whom we've been told are now monitoring the MBs to help us out) would come on here and explain this:

WHY CAN'T PC FIX THEIR PROGRAM SO PEOPLE WHO ARE BEING TOLD THEY HAVE TO ADD THESE THINGS TO THEIR NORTON ANTIVIRUS DON'T HAVE TO ADD THEM. CAN'T PC MAKE IT SO THESE VERY WELL-KNOWN PROGRAMS (NORTON IS ONE OF THEM) WORK OUTRIGHT WITH THEIR SOFTWARES?

I have NEVER had to do any of the things people are talking about here. I have used NORTON since I bought my first computer (in the 80's). I have two computers (XP and Windows7;64-Bit) that I use my two CRICUT machines on.

AGAIN, I have NEVER had to do any of the things people are saying you have to do here. WHY DO OTHERS HAVE TO DO THIS?

Can't ProvoCraft EVER help out with any of these problems? It seems the best venue to do that would be here on their own MBs.

Char
apodjunkie5e3362dc Offline
#4 Posted : Thursday, October 18, 2012 11:22:42 AM(UTC)
apodjunkie5e3362dc

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
While adding all folders and files to Norton to exclude it from antivirus scanning would seem to be an effective solution, it is also a horrible security step.

By excluding the folders (And most files.), you are making a place for malware to operate from.
The folders and files you exclude become a location where your antivirus (Norton or whatever brand you use.) cannot inspect for viruses. This location becomes a location for viruses to infect your system and files with.

The best solution is to have Cricut contact Symantec and work with them to identify what the issue is and fix it. This would be a proactive step by Cricut to help protect their customers.

Instead, try excluding only files and never an entire folder. Isolate files until the application works correctly.
 1 user thanked apodjunkie5e3362dc for this useful post.
CricketCMV on 10/18/2012(UTC)
CricketCMV Offline
#5 Posted : Thursday, October 18, 2012 3:57:17 PM(UTC)
CricketCMV

[quote=apodjunkie5e3362dc;1577667]While adding all folders and files to Norton to exclude it from antivirus scanning would seem to be an effective solution, it is also a horrible security step.

By excluding the folders (And most files.), you are making a place for malware to operate from.
The folders and files you exclude become a location where your antivirus (Norton or whatever brand you use.) cannot inspect for viruses.

I didn't know this, but it did seem to me that these people are being asked to do things that are not the "norm" and might open them up to something like this.

I'm so happy you came on to give this information.

Char
LMaher16edc3c1c Offline
#6 Posted : Thursday, October 18, 2012 8:20:54 PM(UTC)
LMaher16edc3c1c

So where does that leave us? We need our product to work. We all have BIG investments in this.
We need a fix -- quickly.
#7 Posted : Sunday, October 21, 2012 12:09:34 PM(UTC)
jmundle66a5746c75

This did fix the problem, the Circut support was only adding the application executable,the entire Circuit directory for both the Circut Craftroon and the Circut Sync needs to be added to the exclusion list. I called and was on the phone for a day. The Support person I mentioned was really helpful.

Originally Posted by: dmnclarkebe1d02f4 Go to Quoted Post
Did this solve your problem? When I called Cricut they did all these things to my Norton, but it still doesn't work. What happens when you email Nortorn, were they able to fix it? I just got a new computer, and was excited to have my cricut mini working, but am very frustrated that it won't work. If you have any insight could you please help me?

Thanks!

#8 Posted : Sunday, October 21, 2012 12:13:24 PM(UTC)
jmundle66a5746c75

I am a big Norton fan too, but it appears that when Norton upgraded, they somehow how left out some Provocraft file. So as a work around or fix, you have to make sure the entire Circut Caraftroom and the Circut Sync Directories are included in the exclusions list.

Originally Posted by: CricketCMV Go to Quoted Post
I think it would be nice if ProvoCraft (our PCfriends whom we've been told are now monitoring the MBs to help us out) would come on here and explain this:

WHY CAN'T PC FIX THEIR PROGRAM SO PEOPLE WHO ARE BEING TOLD THEY HAVE TO ADD THESE THINGS TO THEIR NORTON ANTIVIRUS DON'T HAVE TO ADD THEM. CAN'T PC MAKE IT SO THESE VERY WELL-KNOWN PROGRAMS (NORTON IS ONE OF THEM) WORK OUTRIGHT WITH THEIR SOFTWARES?

I have NEVER had to do any of the things people are talking about here. I have used NORTON since I bought my first computer (in the 80's). I have two computers (XP and Windows7;64-Bit) that I use my two CRICUT machines on.

AGAIN, I have NEVER had to do any of the things people are saying you have to do here. WHY DO OTHERS HAVE TO DO THIS?

Can't ProvoCraft EVER help out with any of these problems? It seems the best venue to do that would be here on their own MBs.

Char

CricketCMV Offline
#9 Posted : Sunday, October 21, 2012 5:40:43 PM(UTC)
CricketCMV

Originally Posted by: jmundle66a5746c75 Go to Quoted Post
I am a big Norton fan too, but it appears that when Norton upgraded, they somehow how left out some Provocraft file. So as a work around or fix, you have to make sure the entire Circut Caraftroom and the Circut Sync Directories are included in the exclusions list.

AGAIN, I updated Norton a month of so ago, on all of my computers. CCR still works on both computers I have PC's machines on.....I fail to understand why some have problems and some don't. I'm not trying to stir anything up.....just trying to understand.

Char
Cricut Tanja Offline
#10 Posted : Sunday, October 21, 2012 6:40:10 PM(UTC)
Cricut Tanja

Groups: Registered, Circle Moderator, Cricut Community Moderator

Was thanked: 40 time(s) in 18 post(s)
Different antivirus versions and computers may have different user settings and can vary from computer to computer based on personal needs. Antivirus programs do vary and can be different from program to program. Some antivirus programs have deeper level securities and may require adding craftroom.exe or ccrbridge.exe to exceptions or allowed programs. If you are experiencing connection issues with craftroom or cricut sync Customer Support does have information on different antivirus programs we would love to help you with your individual needs. We can be reached Monday - Friday 7 a.m. - 6 p.m. (MST) Toll-free service phone: 877-7CRICUT. Thank you - CricutTanja
 1 user thanked Cricut Tanja for this useful post.
CricketCMV on 10/22/2012(UTC)
hewett.doak4f8aa59e Offline
#11 Posted : Friday, November 02, 2012 5:56:43 PM(UTC)
hewett.doak4f8aa59e

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Thank you for this advice - adding the whole cricut craftroom directory to the norton exclusions was the ONLY way I could get this to work which scares me as i guess any hacker could now target CCR as a gateway to adding malware to our pcs :(
Pamela_pp58f25660 Offline
#12 Posted : Saturday, November 03, 2012 3:40:22 AM(UTC)
Pamela_pp58f25660

Confused I am having a problem with the ccr not loading. Just says "Initializing Cricut Craft Room". I don't use Norton but Avast. I did the upgrade. I just went out and bought a cord for my expression so I could use this. Kinda frustrated.
~Pamela
Narelle Offline
#13 Posted : Saturday, November 03, 2012 5:09:51 AM(UTC)
Narelle

Groups: Circle Member, Registered
Australia

Was thanked: 7884 time(s) in 3692 post(s)
 1 user thanked Narelle for this useful post.
jirish83d2eb6e on 3/24/2013(UTC)
collette.funnell9a3fb882 Offline
#14 Posted : Monday, January 21, 2013 1:20:02 AM(UTC)
collette.funnell9a3fb882

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Narelle Go to Quoted Post

This link is the one that worked for me BigGrin
 1 user thanked collette.funnell9a3fb882 for this useful post.
jirish83d2eb6e on 3/24/2013(UTC)
jirish83d2eb6e Offline
#15 Posted : Sunday, March 24, 2013 7:48:00 PM(UTC)
jirish83d2eb6e

BigGrin Thank you Narelle for your helpful blog post!!! I wish PC would have just posted this in the first place so that we don't have to try and call support every time.