Flag
  • Sign In
  • 0 items
  • Search
Welcome Guest! Please login to enable all features.

Notification

Icon
Error

HEKKK Offline
#1 Posted : Wednesday, October 31, 2012 4:03:13 PM(UTC)
HEKKK

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
After reading a few of the posts here I am wondering if what I am reading is correct? Is PC discontinuing the Gypsy? I hope not. I love mine and it works fine.
ohana Offline
#2 Posted : Saturday, November 03, 2012 5:14:46 PM(UTC)
ohana

Was thanked: 55 time(s) in 33 post(s)
No fact, just speculation... but I think the writing is on the wall (and I know I'm not the first and only person to think this way).

I have to say that it makes no business sense for them to continue the Gypsy (or even come out with a newer and improved one). Why would a company continue to deal with the headache of a tool like the Gypsy when the industry has really moved toward laptop and internet connectivity? There's no money in it if they produce the Gypsy hardware (with all of its headaches).... If they instead move everything to connectivity through the internet, then they simply have software issues (and their own actual CUTTING machines). If your laptop crashes, then YOU are liable for getting it fixed. PC no longer has the headache of customer service (or lack thereof) as it relates to the hardware (the Gypsy). It just doesn't seem to make sense -- especially since competitors are flocking to that format.

That being said, I absolutely love my Gypsy. I think it is truly the best thing -- I love the portability. I love that I don't have to be connected to the internet. I wish it made sense for PC to continue down that road. It just doesn't make financial sense, though.

I don't (and won't) own a laptop. I have an iPad; now the first company that creates an app that allows you access to your virtual cut files and wirelessly send jobs to the cutting machine is the company that will get my next pile of money.

In the meantime, I'm not investing any more money in my die-cutting stash and will wait for my dream machine/iPad combo for a couple of years.

I will part ways with my E, Gypsy, 105 carts and tons of accessories (all at once) when the time is right. I have a brand new Gypsy as a backup, just because I'd be scared to even use my G if I didn't have a backup for the thousands of $$$ I've spent so far. Such a shame that there is such a large group of loyal users out there who paid an extra $200 or so to invest in the Gypsy and it actually ended up devaluing our entire Cricut investment as a result of spending MORE MONEY than the people who didn't get on board with the Gypsy. Our carts are worthless in comparison to unlinked carts. Such a shame :(
SFbaby58 Offline
#3 Posted : Tuesday, November 06, 2012 12:03:46 PM(UTC)
SFbaby58

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
I thought it was the imagine they ere going to discontinue? Could it be both. I love my Gypsy and use it nearly every day.
Cindy J Offline
#4 Posted : Wednesday, November 07, 2012 8:34:58 PM(UTC)
Cindy J

Was thanked: 65 time(s) in 49 post(s)
Ohana -
Even though I have a Gypsy, I use CCR on my iPad all the time and love it. I use a free web browser called "Rover" to enable Flash content. It's actually an educational app made by iSwifter. There are a few bugs/glitches, but overall it works pretty well. The biggest downside is that you have to be connected to the internet by wi-fi (the app doesn't work with 3G), but if you are at home or in a place with wi-fi (restaurants/coffee houses, hotels, libraries, etc.) it works pretty good to design with. Just thought I'd mention it...
- Cindy
PS - (As a joke: the app is free, but if you want to send me a pile of money for the info...) BigGrin Laugh LOL
 1 user thanked Cindy J for this useful post.
ohana on 11/11/2012(UTC)