Flag
  • Sign In
  • 0 items
  • Search
Welcome Guest! Please login to enable all features.

Notification

Icon
Error

Ken's Kreations Offline
#1 Posted : Monday, November 19, 2012 12:35:47 PM(UTC)
Ken's Kreations

Medals: Cricut Circle Member: Member of the Cricut Circle

Groups: Registered, Circle Member
United States

Was thanked: 1952 time(s) in 501 post(s)
So I am gearing up for the holidays, and a whole bunch of projects. These projects have lead me to two questions.

How To Cut Fabric?

I have watched a few www.youtube.com clips on how to cut fabric using the cricut machine. I saw a few that used Heat N Bond and some that used Freezer papeer. I wanted to see what everyone uses for their cricut to cut fabric.

AND

What paper do you use for cards and projects?

I am re-evaluating the card stock i use. Right now I just use the paper i buy at Joann's, but most of it has white core or it is too thin. I had a friend who told me she loves Sampin Up card stock...but it is so expensive. So what does everyone use? I am looking for a nice but valued option.

Thanks for all the input!!

Ken

www.kreativeken.blogspot.com
RockinRobin1 Offline
#2 Posted : Monday, November 19, 2012 1:23:21 PM(UTC)
RockinRobin1

United States

Was thanked: 1237 time(s) in 673 post(s)
Never cut fabric on my Cricut, but I'm sure there's TONS of YouTube videos.

As for paper...I use Stampin' Up! and not just because I'm a demonstrator...it's durable and cuts smooth. I also like using Bazzill as well.
nancyh Offline
#3 Posted : Monday, November 19, 2012 4:09:35 PM(UTC)
nancyh

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 648 time(s) in 486 post(s)
CTMH has excellent quality papers that cut very well in the cricut and also embosses very well. It is white core, but smooth. I like white core for distressing. I also love the double sided patterned paper I am a CTMH rep, if you click on the www at the bottom of my post it will take you to my website. If you have any questions you can pm me or email me (contact info is on my website)

I don't care for the core'dinations cardstock that they sell at J's either. M's recollections paper is better than the J's paper. I also like DCWV, but if you don't like texture or white core, you probably won't like DCWV....as stated above white core is great for distressing. K&Co is great too, and double sided as well.

SU seems expensive, but it is also great quality, and they have good variety packs.It is 80 lb wt solid core cs, which cuts and embosses vewry well.

I have not tried, but I have also heard that the Papertrey Ink cs is great!

I have cut fabric in my cricut. You have to use heavy duty fusible web, and don't cut real intricate cuts. It works GREAT! I have not tried freezer paper to cut fabric, so I can't comment on that.

SouthernVintage Offline
#4 Posted : Monday, November 19, 2012 7:57:40 PM(UTC)
SouthernVintage

United States

Was thanked: 802 time(s) in 714 post(s)
I've always had great cuts with the Heat n Bond ULTRA. It is firmer than the regular and always cut best for me. I've used the freezer paper as a stencil to paint on fabric with good results too. There is now a fabric with adhesive, but I haven't tried it yet...sounds like it would be good. I'm not sure where you buy it.

I use a lot of Recollections and Bazzill cardstock and love the DCWV stacks.
Terriski Offline
#5 Posted : Monday, November 19, 2012 8:05:44 PM(UTC)
Terriski

Groups: Circle Member, Registered
United States

Was thanked: 901 time(s) in 557 post(s)
Ken - first off I've cut lots of stuff w/ fabric. I use the Ultra Heat and bond - you can buy it at Joanns in the "notions" sections. It is a red package.

Since I'm really frugal w/ the stuff - I cut what size I think I'll need ex. if cutting a 4" item I cut about 5" square. Follow the directions on the heat and bond and then cut w/ your cricut.. Just make sure you cut it w/ the fabric up. I suggest using a new blade -and only a blade for FABRIC. I have 1 I use only on fabric along w/ a mat. Cut slow.

As far as paper I buy a huge bundle of the paper from Joanns also - it's from cord'nations. I buy the packs in canvas finish - which is textured not smooth. DON"T BUY THE ORANGE though.. It won't cut very well. The packs are on sale though Wednesday 2 for $5.00 - at Joanns. I buy either the 12x12 or the 8x11 (normally what I buy).

Good luck.
LisaDePugh Offline
#6 Posted : Monday, November 19, 2012 9:28:45 PM(UTC)
LisaDePugh

Was thanked: 285 time(s) in 215 post(s)
I like the Bazzil paper best...so far. I use a lot of the value pack paper from JoAnn's but the black made a horrible mess of my mat. I've never cut fabric but all I've seen with success use the heat n bond.
Ken's Kreations Offline
#7 Posted : Monday, November 19, 2012 9:38:24 PM(UTC)
Ken's Kreations

United States

Was thanked: 1952 time(s) in 501 post(s)
Okay everyone. i went to my local Joann's and asked them for heat n bond. for whatever reason my local joann's does not carry this. they told me to buy Pellon Fusible web...Craft-Fuse. I am a little concerned since it says it is used for all craft projects and has a "soft Stability". So has anyone used this...if so did it work?? I do not want to use it and have it not work and be out the money!

So after researching it seems some people have used the Pellon 800 with great success. The one i got was the 808...so i guess we will see!

Edited by user Monday, November 19, 2012 9:57:43 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Terriski Offline
#8 Posted : Tuesday, November 20, 2012 8:13:24 PM(UTC)
Terriski

United States

Was thanked: 901 time(s) in 557 post(s)
Ken -- I found some ultra heat and bond at Walmart.

FYI My local Joanns didn't have a clue either. They showed me the roll of stuff but I went to the notions area and found the heat and bond in a 1 yard bag.

I would think most fusible might work I think really it's to make the fabric stiff and/or iron on.
chellabella Offline
#9 Posted : Wednesday, November 21, 2012 5:41:24 AM(UTC)
chellabella

United States

Was thanked: 173 time(s) in 137 post(s)
I have always loved Bazzill paper because of the weight and the solid color core.

But if you can find it, Paper Accents is wonderful too. Paper Accents is a little bit of a lighter weight and cuts BEAUTIFULLY and also has a solid color core. They also have pearlized papers that you can get such a sharp, crisp cut from. LOVE IT!!Love

I never liked the white core paper until I became a Close to My Heart consultant. Now I appreciate it for it's distressing ability.

Anyway . . . HSN has Bazzill paper on sale for $16.95 for 100 pk. The white Bazzill is my FAVORITE for my Imagine, that's on sale too.

~Angela