Flag
  • Sign In
  • 0 items
  • Search
Welcome Guest! Please login to enable all features.

Notification

Icon
Error

Edyta Offline
#1 Posted : Wednesday, December 26, 2012 8:05:18 PM(UTC)
Edyta

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
My dear family bought me a brand new gypsy for Christmas :) , I have been reading some posts here and I am very discouraged by what I am reading. There is so much negative about this machine :( and I am not sure if I want to keep it!!!!! I have been using Cricut for a while and love it, I like the CCR , but its too much work to take my laptop with me, so I thought gypsy would be a great addition, but........ Any thoughts are greatly appreciated!!!!!

Thanks,
Edyta
Gandicat Offline
#2 Posted : Thursday, December 27, 2012 7:08:51 AM(UTC)
Gandicat

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
I love mine. I also don't update it too often so I don't run into the problems that I've seen the others run into. I think the last time I updated was last summer and I only did that because it had been probably a year since I had previously done it and I was feeling guilty (I don't know why, guess I'm just like that).

I'm not a big fan of CCR because I don'tlike dragging the laptop around with me and when I go to a crop it's nice having the design capability. Also, all my carts are already linked to the gyspy so I can't use them with CCR (grrrrAngry ), but that's a bone of contention for lots of people (Provo craft, are you listening??)

If you do a number of crops during the year keep it. You'll be glad you did.
 1 user thanked Gandicat for this useful post.
Tammi Sue on 1/18/2013(UTC)
scrapalette Offline
#3 Posted : Thursday, December 27, 2012 7:35:27 AM(UTC)
scrapalette

Medals: Cricut Circle Member: Member of the Cricut Circle

Groups: Circle Member, Registered
United States

Was thanked: 18942 time(s) in 8455 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Gandicat Go to Quoted Post
I love mine. I also don't update it too often so I don't run into the problems that I've seen the others run into. I think the last time I updated was last summer and I only did that because it had been probably a year since I had previously done it and I was feeling guilty (I don't know why, guess I'm just like that).

I'm not a big fan of CCR because I don'tlike dragging the laptop around with me and when I go to a crop it's nice having the design capability. Also, all my carts are already linked to the gyspy so I can't use them with CCR (grrrrAngry ), but that's a bone of contention for lots of people (Provo craft, are you listening??)

If you do a number of crops during the year keep it. You'll be glad you did.

You can use your gypsy linked carts with CCR. You just have to insert them when prompted, just like you would insert them in your Cricut before cutting. Huh

Since you can't return it, I'd play with it using the pre-loaded carts, Gypsy Font and Gypsy Wanderings. See if you like it as it varies with each person. Personally, I couldn't get use to the small screen and never really use mine. Others, though, love it!

If you decide to keep it, link your carts to your cricut.com account through CCR and they will be activated on your Gypsy. If you link them directly to your Gypsy first, you can't link them to CCR.
TammyPuckett Offline
#4 Posted : Thursday, December 27, 2012 7:39:24 AM(UTC)
TammyPuckett

Was thanked: 330 time(s) in 191 post(s)
KEEP IT! It is absolutely an amazing addition to your Cricut! I can't do without mine! Go to YouTube & search tutorials for the Gypsy & explore all that you can do with it!
Ann Offline
#5 Posted : Friday, December 28, 2012 6:24:34 PM(UTC)
Ann

Was thanked: 199 time(s) in 170 post(s)
I love my Gypsy,have had it since UK launch about 3 years ago,it is a learning curve and in the beginning i was unsure if i had done the right thing in buying it but quickly got to love it and use it frequently.
I would give it a go,play with the 2 loaded carts and do some cuts,see how you get on.
Good Luck !!
Sing&Scrap Offline
#6 Posted : Friday, December 28, 2012 6:32:13 PM(UTC)
Sing&Scrap

Medals: Cricut Circle Member: Member of the Cricut Circle

Groups: Circle Member, Registered
United States

Was thanked: 613 time(s) in 328 post(s)
Love my Gypsy. If you link your carts in CCR, they will update on your Gypsy when you sync it. Right now it doesn't work the other way but hope it will sometime.

It took me a long time to fall in love. I took it on a long car ride and forced myself to play with it. Now I use it ALL the time. Sometimes even take it to work and play on my lunch hour. I love CCR too but can't use that at a crop since I don't have a good laptop and there often isn't WiFi.

Good Luck!
MaryStillman Offline
#7 Posted : Friday, December 28, 2012 7:31:41 PM(UTC)
MaryStillman

Was thanked: 1241 time(s) in 788 post(s)
I have one, and it took me a long time to start using it because of the small screen, I used Design Studio mostly. However, when PC stopped updating DS as frequently as in the past and focused more on CCR, I took it out and started playing with the free carts, as scrapalette suggests.

I really like it now and there are things that you can do with the gypsy that you cannot do with CCR (or at least I don't think you can). One thing is designing off the mat. I'll attach a couple of swing cards that I created by desiging off the mat...only half the image was on the mat, and the paper hung off the mat, so only half the image cut.

Keep in mind that you do have link your carts to cut with the carts, so if that bothers you it will be a negative. I don't mind, and have a tendency to wait to link a cart until I'm going to use it to design and cut something out.

Hope that helps.

Mary
MaryStillman attached the following image(s):
HK2.jpg
ChristmasCard.jpg
Edyta Offline
#8 Posted : Friday, December 28, 2012 7:57:43 PM(UTC)
Edyta

Thank you guys for all your advise, I sadly have to inform you that after opening the box and wanting to play with it, I was not able to do anything, I turn the machine on and all I got was a black screen and a blue light, !!!!!!! I tried resetting it and nothing, emailed CS and they gave me few ideas and still nothing....... Now I am REALLY not sure if I should keep it :(
Again thanks for your thoughts,
Edyta
LuvMyyBoyss Offline
#9 Posted : Saturday, December 29, 2012 12:19:04 AM(UTC)
LuvMyyBoyss

OMGosh, I am having the EXACT same problem. I got a Gypsy for Christmas, opened the box today, plugged it in the wall & my laptop, downloaded the software and all I see is a blue light and black screen. I even tried resetting it as suggested in the Quick Start Guide and NOTHING!

I am hoping it just needs to be charged over night (as who knows how long it has been in the box) bc if that doesn't work, it is past the support hours for the weekend, and I will have to wait to email them until Monday. Mad Please post if you find a resolution as I really want to keep mine but can't/won't if I can't get it to turn on. Thanks.
Edyta Offline
#10 Posted : Saturday, December 29, 2012 7:23:24 AM(UTC)
Edyta

Originally Posted by: LuvMyyBoyss Go to Quoted Post
OMGosh, I am having the EXACT same problem. I got a Gypsy for Christmas, opened the box today, plugged it in the wall & my laptop, downloaded the software and all I see is a blue light and black screen. I even tried resetting it as suggested in the Quick Start Guide and NOTHING!

I am hoping it just needs to be charged over night (as who knows how long it has been in the box) bc if that doesn't work, it is past the support hours for the weekend, and I will have to wait to email them until Monday. Mad Please post if you find a resolution as I really want to keep mine but can't/won't if I can't get it to turn on. Thanks.

I am so sorry it happened to you too. I also tried charging it overnight and nothing happened.... I tired resetting and nothing!!!!! I think I am going to return it. Let me know if you have any luck with the customer service....
I am so sad , I really was looking forward to using it for my projects, I guess I will go back to CCR :(

Edyta
sewnmachine Offline
#11 Posted : Monday, December 31, 2012 6:34:54 PM(UTC)
sewnmachine

Was thanked: 348 time(s) in 232 post(s)
I only mention this because this happened to me. The silver button on the right is NOT the button to turn on the machine. The "on" button is at the side of the unit.