Flag
  • Sign In
  • 0 items
  • Search
Welcome Guest! Please login to enable all features.

Notification

Icon
Error

Kcantrell7799d818494 Offline
#1 Posted : Tuesday, January 15, 2013 6:15:13 PM(UTC)
Kcantrell7799d818494

Groups: Registered

I received a pink expression for cmas. I havr tried everything but throwing it out the window. i bought a new as suggested. The blade that came with it has a flat tip like a knife, the new one is round. Is there a certain blade that has to be used with this machine. I have tried every thickness of paper and every setting I could. The only way it won,t eat the paper up is to put the pressure on low and then it doesn't cut. Is the expression 2 a better machine than mine? Please help. Thanks, Kathy
kay_jaques48d1a559 Offline
#2 Posted : Wednesday, January 16, 2013 1:04:22 AM(UTC)
kay_jaques48d1a559

Was thanked: 74 time(s) in 43 post(s)
Hi
Yes it isn't very positive when you get something you wanted for Christmas and then it doesn't work very well. I had a similar problem with the mini cricut I received this Christmas. The paper and first project that the mini cricut instructions tell you to make is a Thank you card. I followed the instructions and the paper kept tearing. I believed it was the quality of the paper supplied that was at fault, as when I tried good quality smooth card it was a bit better, but still tore unless I ran in at the lower speed. I emailed Cricut support and told them of my disappointment. They emailed back and told me that they would send me a replacement blade and blade casing. It took sometime to arrive as it came from America, but they have sent a new blade carriage and blade, which I received yesterday. I haven't tried it yet but the blade casing/carriage looks a lot stronger. So fingers crossed it will work a lot better, I will try it later this morning and will let you know.
Kay
kay_jaques48d1a559 Offline
#3 Posted : Wednesday, January 16, 2013 2:09:14 AM(UTC)
kay_jaques48d1a559

Was thanked: 74 time(s) in 43 post(s)
Hi Kathy
Well tried the new blade and what a mess. It was ok on the cut of the oblong but didn't like the fine work torn of writing the letters. I did it all on the slowest speed. On my first try a couple of letters were torn, second try I turned the paper over in case it preferred the smoother side. The result of the second attempt was much, much worse all the letters of 'Thank you' torn.
I then played around a bit with the settings. The trouble is when you first purchase the machine you expect the instructions to work and don't have the knowledge or experience to alter settings. So Kathy you were much more adventerous than I was when I first received my present. I was lucky that by changing the speed and card stock I eventually got an acceptable result.
I have know the confidence to play with the pressure and the blade setting. The instruction for the 'Thank you card' said blade length 4 and pressure 4, which on my machine said this was for medium card stock. As I was getting very poor results I have tried with various combinations of settings. The best result I achieved was on bland length 3, pressure setting 2 and speed 1, this on my machine was the recommended setting for vinyl. The result was ok, I had to help some of the letters out of the card, but the resulting card was good.
I think through the experience of using the mini cut over the last week or so paper quality really counts.
I was pleased that cricut did tried to help me with the problem I had by sending me a replacement bland and blade housing. However I would recommend the cricut think about supplying smoother good quality card with their machines.
Good luck
Kay
#4 Posted : Wednesday, January 16, 2013 6:56:12 PM(UTC)
Kcantrell7799d818494

Kay I am trying to post and let you know how it's going. Posts are not working after I write up an extensive conversation. Will try again later.
Kathy
#5 Posted : Thursday, January 17, 2013 8:39:42 PM(UTC)
Kcantrell7799d818494

Hey Kay
I'm going to try this again!
I used several types of quality card stock. I used both type of blades. I used dozens of settings and wrote each one down to the individual cut hoping that would give me more of an idea what was working. But to no avail I still couldn't get a clean cut. I really do think the blade I bought from Hobby Lobby is incorrect for this machine. But I tried. One thing I did learn online is a website called AboveRubystudios.com that has a full cutting guide for dozens of papers. I think it will very useful in the future if I can get going. I think you would like it and it's free when you sign up to her blog. I also emailed PC and let them know of my problems and disappointment. I'll let you know when i find out something. I live in the US in Missouri, just to let you know where I am on the grid!
Hope to chat again soon,
Kathy