Flag
  • Sign In
  • 0 items
  • Search
Welcome Guest! Please login to enable all features.

Notification

Icon
Error

11 Pages<1234>»
OHscrappylady01855145 Offline
#31 Posted : Friday, January 25, 2013 1:18:03 PM(UTC)
OHscrappylady01855145

Medals: Cricut Circle Member: Member of the Cricut Circle

Groups: Registered, Circle Member

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 11 post(s)
1. Do you have a favorite color or color combo? Pinks and purples

2. Is there a color combo that you honestly do not care for and avoid when crafting for yourself? Orange and greens

3. Recognizing that this is a spring themed swap - are there certain colors you prefer or do not prefer that fall under the spring colors theme? nope, love them all

4. Have you ever altered a paper mache or tin or chipboard purse? no

5. Have you ever received an altered purse? no

6. Would you find birds, frogs, bees or bugs more useful in your future crafting projects? birds

7. Do you have a favorite style of crafting? love the tim holtz style/vintage

8. Or, is there a style of crafting you'd be interested in receiving if your partner has experience with it and enjoys that style herself. I would love anything

9. Do you want items to use on scrapbook pages or cards or both? both

10. The directives are pretty specific in this round but if there is something you really do not wish to receive, then mention it here please. I would love anything and everything

11. Do you get your photos printed out and lying around in a pile, waiting to be scrapped? Yes I do, my intentions are good, but they still sit in the pile

12. Do you have a favorite flower, particularly a favorite spring flower? daiseys

13. Do you use glossy accents? Do you use UTEE or embossing powders that you heat? Yep to both

14. Would you enjoy or have a use for anything beach themed? I love the beach theme

15. Do you have a craft room or special area? If so, is there a color theme or style theme for the room? I have a room just for my scrappin, its in pinks

16. This would be a good place to mention something that really interests you.

For instance, you might wish to receive Tim Holtz products or techniques as he continues to be a major crafting fad. Or if you are noticing something in other swaps, whether it be a technique or a craft project....and you'd like to receive one...mention it. Even if it doesn't happen in this round...it's something for the rest of us to discover about you in future swaps.

17. Regarding the paperdoll directive - list some choices that you would find most useful to receive. any kid themes, I have 5 grandsons and 1 girlygirl granddaughter and 4 furbabies

ie: a boy paperdoll dressed in baseball clothes; a girl paperdoll dressed in swimsuit; a teen doll dressed in a certain color and funky clothes; or even one of the princesses from the Disney cartridges or one of the characters from Toy Story cartridge, etc.

18. What do you LOVE most about spring??? the wildflowers

ie: butterflies, a certain flower popping up, the sunny, warmer days, etc.

Edited by user Tuesday, January 29, 2013 5:23:20 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

1 user thanked OHscrappylady01855145 for this useful post.
NotGoingGreyGracefully on 1/31/2013(UTC)
PennyDiGioia Offline
#32 Posted : Friday, January 25, 2013 2:58:51 PM(UTC)
PennyDiGioia

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 43 time(s) in 40 post(s)
1. Do you have a favorite color or color combo? I love green and teal

2. Is there a color combo that you honestly do not care for and avoid when crafting for yourself? pink and purple (lavender is ok)brown

3. Recognizing that this is a spring themed swap - are there certain colors you prefer or do not prefer that fall under the spring colors theme? when I think spring I think pastels (not pink) but bright colors would work also

ie hate pink, love pink; love pastels, really don't like pastels so go with brighter rainbow colors

4. Have you ever altered a paper mache or tin or chipboard purse?no

5. Have you ever received an altered purse?no

6. Would you find birds, bees or bugs more useful in your future crafting projects?birds

7. Do you have a favorite style of crafting? not really

ie: simple, vintage, steampunk, modern, shabby chic, girly, grunge, etc.

8. Or, is there a style of crafting you'd be interested in receiving if your partner has experience with it and enjoys that style herself. WE are supposed to be learning here so I guess I would be open to anything seeing as I don't really know what some of them are.

9. Do you want items to use on scrapbook pages or cards or both? both

(I ask this as some of us only do one or the other and the size of the embellishment or length of a ribbon strip could make a difference)

10. The directives are pretty specific in this round but if there is something you really do not wish to receive, then mention it here please. I'm open to anything but I do not like paisley

ie: Some people may not want mini albums, altered notebooks, tins, things that hang or are displayed on a counter(lack of space) etc. or you may have been doing several rounds of the chunky charm dangle swaps and would prefer to receive something different.

11. Do you get your photos printed out and lying around in a pile, waiting to be scrapped? no I tend to print them as I need them

12. Do you have a favorite flower, particularly a favorite spring flower? Iris

13. Do you use glossy accents? Do you use UTEE or embossing powders that you heat? embossing powders

14. Would you enjoy or have a use for anything beach themed? no

15. Do you have a craft room or special area? If so, is there a color theme or style theme for the room? I have a craft room but really no theme (it's my son's old room and there is a big Red Sox emblem on it)

16. This would be a good place to mention something that really interests you. Would it be silly to say crafts. otherwise coloring with copics, photography and plants

For instance, you might wish to receive Tim Holtz products or techniques as he continues to be a major crafting fad. Or if you are noticing something in other swaps, whether it be a technique or a craft project....and you'd like to receive one...mention it. Even if it doesn't happen in this round...it's something for the rest of us to discover about you in future swaps.

17. Regarding the paperdoll directive - list some choices that you would find most useful to receive. I'm not really into paperdolls, but I could use a boy in a baseball uniform for my son's srapbook (redsox or royals colors)or a girl in a very fancy dress for my daughter's prom picture (she wore pink, with black and silver trim)

ie: a boy paperdoll dressed in baseball clothes; a girl paperdoll dressed in swimsuit; a teen doll dressed in a certain color and funky clothes; or even one of the princesses from the Disney cartridges or one of the characters from Toy Story cartridge, etc.

18. What do you LOVE most about spring??? The different colors of green when everything springs to life and the smell

Edited by user Sunday, January 27, 2013 10:29:37 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

STW Offline
#33 Posted : Friday, January 25, 2013 3:57:22 PM(UTC)
STW

United States

Was thanked: 96 time(s) in 81 post(s)
I'm excited to get started on this swap! Thanks for the tips and suggestions!

1. Do you have a favorite color or color combo? Purple & Gold, Turquoise & Hot Pink, Lilac & pastel pink & greens

2. Is there a color combo that you honestly do not care for and avoid when crafting for yourself? Not really

3. Recognizing that this is a spring themed swap - are there certain colors you prefer or do not prefer that fall under the spring colors theme? Prefer to keep pastels with pastels and brights with brights

ie hate pink, love pink; love pastels, really don't like pastels so go with brighter rainbow colors

4. Have you ever altered a paper mache or tin or chipboard purse? NO

5. Have you ever received an altered purse? NO

6. Would you find birds, bees or bugs more useful in your future crafting projects? BEES & lady bugs

7. Do you have a favorite style of crafting? Shabby chic & Steampunk

8. Or, is there a style of crafting you'd be interested in receiving if your partner has experience with it and enjoys that style herself.

9. Do you want items to use on scrapbook pages or cards or both? Mostly scrapbooking but I do both.

(I ask this as some of us only do one or the other and the size of the embellishment or length of a ribbon strip could make a difference)

10. The directives are pretty specific in this round but if there is something you really do not wish to receive, then mention it here please.

ie: Some people may not want mini albums, altered notebooks, tins, things that hang or are displayed on a counter(lack of space) etc. or you may have been doing several rounds of the chunky charm dangle swaps and would prefer to receive something different.

11. Do you get your photos printed out and lying around in a pile, waiting to be scrapped? Not usually

12. Do you have a favorite flower, particularly a favorite spring flower? iris & gerber daisy

13. Do you use glossy accents? Yes Do you use UTEE or embossing powders that you heat? Yes

14. Would you enjoy or have a use for anything beach themed? Yes - and cruise themed.

15. Do you have a craft room or special area? If so, is there a color theme or style theme for the room? Yes - black and white with zebra accents

17. Regarding the paperdoll directive - list some choices that you would find most useful to receive.
Boy dressed in football clothing either Purple & Gold or Purple and Orange
Girl Cheerleader dressed in Blue with red accents
Girl ballerina

18. What do you LOVE most about spring??? Flowers blooming!

Edited by user Sunday, January 27, 2013 11:25:56 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Kazalah Offline
#34 Posted : Friday, January 25, 2013 4:19:28 PM(UTC)
Kazalah

Groups: Circle Member, Registered
United States

Was thanked: 621 time(s) in 264 post(s)
Ok I've never tried anything like this before but I'd like to give it a shot and this seems like a good one to start off with BigGrin

Lori
ScrappinGwen Offline
#35 Posted : Friday, January 25, 2013 5:27:08 PM(UTC)
ScrappinGwen

United States

Was thanked: 762 time(s) in 602 post(s)
I added some more questions. SO if you already have a post started with the first 6 questions answered, then go to the post with all the questions and copy the rest of the questions to add to your post with the first 6 questions. (keep all questions/answers in one post so your partner will find it easier)

Once you have your partners....you may have some questions too. Just PM me and I can add them to the list. Or I can PM your partner and ask her and send her reply back to you (to keep it all a secret)

Also, if you are clueless about a question, that's okay! There very well may be techniques or styles that you know nothing about...and these questions may enlighten you and open up a whole new world of crafting! It's how you learn.

I can honestly say that when I started swapping here I knew ZERO! and I mean zero! So I would either ask and some kind soul would help me out or I would google it and read up on it and figure it out. Youtube really makes it easier now too.

Bottom line: I can't stress enough that we are here to help you as long as you are willing to listen and attempt what we suggest.

1 user thanked ScrappinGwen for this useful post.
lauraa on 1/26/2013(UTC)
ScrappinGwen Offline
#36 Posted : Friday, January 25, 2013 5:37:32 PM(UTC)
ScrappinGwen

United States

Originally Posted by: Kazalah Go to Quoted Post
Ok I've never tried anything like this before but I'd like to give it a shot and this seems like a good one to start off with BigGrin

Lori

I just checked out all your posts and you've posted several crafts you've made. I think you will really enjoy this swap!

planlady19 Offline
#37 Posted : Friday, January 25, 2013 6:44:26 PM(UTC)
planlady19

United States

Was thanked: 281 time(s) in 264 post(s)
And while you all are learning we get to see what everyone is talking about and you never know where an idea will come from it can be as easy as a comment that someone likes a certain food. Hmmm i seem to remember that happen for me with chocolate..LOL

And trying to get out of your comfort zone is the hardest and most exciting part of these swaps?

Believe me i have made somethings that I would never have thought of a few years ago. You will start looking at everyday items in a whole new light. This is an example of something I did for Christmas.. look what a gallon green bean can becomes.

So just have fun.. and let you mind run wild..

Terri

Edited by user Friday, January 25, 2013 8:06:04 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

planlady19 attached the following image(s):
hat1 (640x480).jpg
 1 user thanked planlady19 for this useful post.
lauraa on 1/26/2013(UTC)
Kazalah Offline
#38 Posted : Friday, January 25, 2013 7:06:10 PM(UTC)
Kazalah

United States

1. Do you have a favorite color or color combo?I LOVE purple! I also like Green, Black & Pink

2. Is there a color combo that you honestly do not care for and avoid when crafting for yourself? No I like most color combinations but do lean towards lighter colors

3. Recognizing that this is a spring themed swap - are there certain colors you prefer or do not prefer that fall under the spring colors theme?I like pastels for spring... not a huge fan of orange though

4. Have you ever altered a paper mache or tin or chipboard purse?I think so.. I've decoupaged some boxes

5. Have you ever received an altered purse? No I have not

6. Would you find birds, frogs, bees or bugs more useful in your future crafting projects?Birds, Bees & Turtles would work well for me

7. Do you have a favorite style of crafting?Not really.. I like all styles.It gives me inspiration

8. Or, is there a style of crafting you'd be interested in receiving if your partner has experience with it and enjoys that style herself. I've never had anything steampunk and I think I'd like that

9. Do you want items to use on scrapbook pages or cards or both? More for cards than scrapbook

10. The directives are pretty specific in this round but if there is something you really do not wish to receive, then mention it here please. No I'm open to anything BigGrin

11. Do you get your photos printed out and lying around in a pile, waiting to be scrapped?No. When I so scrapbook I print them out as I make a page

12. Do you have a favorite flower, particularly a favorite spring flower? I love hydrangeas

13. Do you use glossy accents? Do you use UTEE or embossing powders that you heat?Never tried them before.. ok embossing powder once

14. Would you enjoy or have a use for anything beach themed?I'm from NJ and hurricane Sandy really walloped our shore so yes I'd love beach themed items

15. Do you have a craft room or special area? If so, is there a color theme or style theme for the room?Yes and shades of blues & greens ( pastels)

16. This would be a good place to mention something that really interests you. I've been really intrigued with washi tape. I just bought a few rolls but I think it's something I"m going to love.

Lori
NotGoingGreyGracefully Offline
#39 Posted : Friday, January 25, 2013 9:09:40 PM(UTC)
NotGoingGreyGracefully

Was thanked: 801 time(s) in 451 post(s)
1. Do you have a favorite color or color combo? For spring, pinks and lavenders, light blue/any blue and yellow

2. Is there a color combo that you honestly do not care for and avoid when crafting for yourself?orange and black, red and black, brown and black..... black with anything except perhaps silver......[/color]

3. Recognizing that this is a spring themed swap - are there certain colors you prefer or do not prefer that fall under the spring colors theme?please avoid peachy colors or oranges, but I love pastels!!

4. Have you ever altered a paper mache or tin or chipboard purse?never!

5. Have you ever received an altered purse?What's an altered purse??

6. Would you find birds, frogs, bees or bugs more useful in your future crafting projects?birds and bees, yes... frogs and bugs, not so much (except ladybugs, they're great!)

7. Do you have a favorite style of crafting? I love Anna Griffin, Teresa Collins, Susan Winget... does that help?
BTE, what IS steampunk?

8. Or, is there a style of crafting you'd be interested in receiving if your partner has experience with it and enjoys that style herself. -I'm often up for anything! (except orange!!)

9. Do you want items to use on scrapbook pages or cards or both? I'm doing more A2 cards these days, but would Love Love Love to have stuff for my scrapbooks!!

10. The directives are pretty specific in this round but if there is something you really do not wish to receive, then mention it here please. I have no display space, either on a shelf or on a wall..., have no use for fishing/camping, sports stuff is pretty much out...hate the Kentucky Derby and most things horse. Would like everything in the Group Two category, I do nature, oriental, glossy accents, birds and bees, nature stuff, ladybugs.and you can skip the grill...BigGrin

11. Do you get your photos printed out and lying around in a pile, waiting to be scrapped?Always... then work like mad for a few months to catch up. I've been known to get 15 rolls of film developed at once (yes, I'm still on 35 mm).

12. Do you have a favorite flower, particularly a favorite spring flower?Violets, then lilies.

13. Do you use glossy accents? Do you use UTEE or embossing powders that you heat? YES!! and have some heat emboss powders and the heat tool, just haven't made the time to play with them yet.

14. Would you enjoy or have a use for anything beach themed?I live within view of the ocean!!! Yes, yes, yes beach stuff!!

15. Do you have a craft room or special area? If so, is there a color theme or style theme for the room?My craft stuff lives in our sunroom, which also houses the pantry, DH's guitar... various other stuff...no color, no theme, just junk.... and my stuff.

16. This would be a good place to mention something that really interests you. Can't think of anything right now, but I'll think about it. Thanks!!
Okay, I've thought... would LOVE to have some glimmer mist. Can't buy it locally any more, and don't know what colors are most versatile. I have some of the spray inks (walnut comes to mind), but haven't played with them yet.

[/quote]

17. Regarding the paperdoll directive - list some choices that you would find most useful to receive.Do they have boys at computers? I didn't think about these, but don't really see any use for myself for any paper dolls....Oh, DH would like some LGM's from Toy Story. I should have bought this cart, but didn't guess it would be discontinued that quickly.

18. What do you LOVE most about spring???[color=indigo] The spring flowers!! Especially daffodils, violets (purple and yellow! - yellow, for the daffodils), iris, tulips not so much...

Edited by user Sunday, January 27, 2013 11:43:43 AM(UTC)  | Reason: added questions

SherrieStevens Offline
#40 Posted : Friday, January 25, 2013 9:40:54 PM(UTC)
SherrieStevens

Was thanked: 151 time(s) in 144 post(s)
I'm sorry but I have to get out of this swap I'm so sorry. Sherrie
lauraa Offline
#41 Posted : Saturday, January 26, 2013 7:12:55 AM(UTC)
lauraa

Was thanked: 233 time(s) in 196 post(s)
1. Do you have a favorite color or color combo?
not really a favorite. I do love greens and I like blacks,krafts,creams

2. Is there a color combo that you honestly do not care for and avoid when crafting for yourself?
Not a ton of pink and purple please

3. Recognizing that this is a spring themed swap - are there certain colors you prefer or do not prefer that fall under the spring colors theme?I'm changing my answer here.
pastels aren't my favorite, but I don't dislike them. I've had a hard time with color for this challenge, so feel free to use any colors!

ie: hate pink, love pink; love pastels, really don't like pastels so go with brighter rainbow colors

4. Have you ever altered a paper mache or tin or chipboard purse?
not a purse, boxes

5. Have you ever received an altered purse?
no

6. Would you find birds, frogs, bees or bugs more useful in your future crafting projects?
birds, but like anything natural/botanicals

7. Do you have a favorite style of crafting?
I like everything except girly. I lean more towards vintage/grunge.
I love eclectic/funky/funny.

8. Or, is there a style of crafting you'd be interested in receiving if your partner has experience with it and enjoys that style herself.
ANY, I've always said "if it's made with love, I love it!"
In fact..I rescue handmade items from thrift stores, I always feel terrible when I see lovingly made crafts, photos, or paintings discarded.

9. Do you want items to use on scrapbook pages or cards or both?
cards

10. The directives are pretty specific in this round but if there is something you really do not wish to receive, then mention it here please.
nothing too large, I live in 690sqft and my walls are covered (see question 8)

11. Do you get your photos printed out and lying around in a pile, waiting to be scrapped?
no

12. Do you have a favorite flower, particularly a favorite spring flower?
lilacs, peonies,daisies, and gerbera daisies

13. Do you use glossy accents? Do you use UTEE or embossing powders that you heat?
no

14. Would you enjoy or have a use for anything beach themed?
vintage bathing beauties
mermaids/mermen/Poseidan

15. Do you have a craft room or special area? If so, is there a color theme or style theme for the room?
no.

Love anything TH! Steampunk is cool, chunky charms, altered ticket strips

17. Regarding the paperdoll directive - list some choices that you would find most useful to receive.

Not sure that I would find these useful, you choose. I do have an 8 YO niece though...

18. What do you LOVE most about spring???

Greeen! and not having to bundle up to take my dog out of course.
I love when all the baby animals come out and I sometimes get a peak at them. Little skunks, woodchucks, deer, turtles, ducks, geese and even coyotes. I hate to admit I'm a big old sucker for them.

Edited by user Sunday, February 03, 2013 7:58:52 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

ScrappinGwen Offline
#42 Posted : Saturday, January 26, 2013 7:53:24 AM(UTC)
ScrappinGwen

United States

Originally Posted by: SherrieStevens Go to Quoted Post
I'm sorry but I have to get out of this swap I'm so sorry. Sherrie

OHHHH, that's too bad Sherrie. Hope all is well. Hopefully next time you can join in.

Kazalah Offline
#43 Posted : Saturday, January 26, 2013 7:24:02 PM(UTC)
Kazalah

United States

BTT
#44 Posted : Sunday, January 27, 2013 11:49:42 AM(UTC)
NotGoingGreyGracefully

Penny writes:

18. What do you LOVE most about spring??? The different colors of green when everything springs to life and the smell

Wouldn't it be great to have scratch and sniff for that great springtime, just after a rain smell??BigGrin
PennyDiGioia Offline
#45 Posted : Sunday, January 27, 2013 12:26:48 PM(UTC)
PennyDiGioia

Was thanked: 43 time(s) in 40 post(s)
Wouldn't it be great to have scratch and sniff for that great springtime, just after a rain smell??BigGrin

Only if it were truly the smell and not some manufactured scent

Edited by user Sunday, January 27, 2013 12:27:20 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

lauraa Offline
#46 Posted : Sunday, January 27, 2013 1:22:09 PM(UTC)
lauraa

Wouldn't that be great in the dark dank winter hours while its freezing raining out...
like today?
ScrappinGwen Offline
#47 Posted : Monday, January 28, 2013 10:18:18 AM(UTC)
ScrappinGwen

United States

Edited to say that you all have been sent a PM regarding who you will be creating for as well as that gal's mailing address.

You might want to print it out now or save it someplace besides here in PMs so that you don't accidently lose it or delete it. But if you do, of course you can always ask me for it again.

OHScrappylady needs to finish her questions.

This swap is now closed and I will be PMing you each with who your SECRET Sister is in just a little bit.

I need a couple addresses still and also make sure you have all the questions answered. Just keep adding the additional questions to your original post so they are all in one place. Thanks!

Edited by user Monday, January 28, 2013 12:00:01 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

NotGoingGreyGracefully on 1/28/2013(UTC)
ScrappinGwen Offline
#48 Posted : Monday, January 28, 2013 12:12:40 PM(UTC)
ScrappinGwen

United States

Regarding who you will be creating for:

I tried to find something specific from reviewing your answers above as to why I chose who you would create for (mainly looking at favorite colors or something about crafting styles). I don't have a lot to go on as you are all new to me, but I have tried my best with my choices.

Some of you may be very new to crafting but others may not be so new to crafting but just new to partner swaps and looking for a way to get into more swaps. So we are at different levels here for one reason or another. I just hope you all will try your best and send nice quality items and follow the directives the best you can.

And I always follow up in future rounds when I see that I could have done a better job with a match. I try to keep it fair over the long run. Actually, most hostesses do the same. You win some, you lose some, but we do pay attention and try our best to make it up down the road.

Also, just remember that just because you think you don't like something, a style or color combo, doesn't mean you won't or can't change your mind down the road and have a different outlook on things! lol I used to say I'd never like steampunk style, but the more I see it, the more I enjoy it. I even had a blast doing my best for my last swap partner who loves steampunk and grunge. So never say never! You very well may end up being pleasantly surprised as you experience more and more here in these swaps! It's all good, if you have an open mind to change and new experiences.

NotGoingGreyGracefully on 1/28/2013(UTC)
ScrappinGwen Offline
#49 Posted : Monday, January 28, 2013 12:21:05 PM(UTC)
ScrappinGwen

United States

Here are some pics I have of altered purses:

I received the butterfly one and it is a wooden purse, I believe.

I made the steampunk themed one and that is a paper mache one from Hobby Lobby. It was super easy to get the paper cut out and fitted to the front, back, and inside. I had been dreading it but I had no issues at all so it must have been my lucky day! lol

The 3rd purse was made out of paper and then I attached a beaded handle that came off of a xmas gift bag that I bought on clearance after xmas for pennies. The inside was designed to hold notecards, etc.

The blue striped one was made by someone with little crafting experience and I'm showing you this only to point out that working with strings of beads like that is not an easy task. It's next to impossible to get them to lay straight with no waves along the line and the glue shows in spots. So be careful when considering those pearl strings. lol

The black one is not a purse but a lunchbox tin, but same idea as a purse. I just let the paper do the talking and didn't have to do much embellishing which is my purpose of showing this one to you.

Edited by user Monday, January 28, 2013 2:02:29 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

ScrappinGwen attached the following image(s):
IMG_6373.JPG
IMG_6374.JPG
IMG_6330.JPG
IMG_6332.JPG
IMG_6333.JPG
IMG_3035.JPG
IMG_3037.JPG
IMG_3886.JPG
IMG_3839.JPG
IMG_3840.JPG
JeanP Offline
#50 Posted : Monday, January 28, 2013 12:33:46 PM(UTC)
JeanP

United States

Was thanked: 933 time(s) in 754 post(s)
I JUST HAVE TO post a picture of Silas here!!!!

My partner last year asked for a Steampunk snowman. Not knowing much about steampunk, I googled it and thought I would try it. After several attempts to get him right(and some help from others on this MB) I came up with my snowman.

I named him Silas O'Rielly which is the steampunk name that went with my partner's intitials.
This just goes to show you, you can do anything you set you're mind toBigGrin BigGrin BigGrin
JeanP attached the following image(s):
IMG_7832.JPG
IMG_7830.JPG
 1 user thanked JeanP for this useful post.
lauraa on 1/28/2013(UTC)
ScrappinGwen Offline
#51 Posted : Monday, January 28, 2013 12:35:00 PM(UTC)
ScrappinGwen

United States

And I want to remember to mention YES paste to you all....

Take a coupon and buy it at Michaels. IT's the best stuff to use when covering something like these purses or pages on a mini album, etc. The paper will lay down so nicely and stay glued too! Real nice to work with!

I spoon some of the paste out into a little bowl and water it down some so that it spreads easier. It will last forever! (like way longer then a year!)
lauraa on 1/28/2013(UTC)
ScrappinGwen Offline
#52 Posted : Monday, January 28, 2013 12:37:26 PM(UTC)
ScrappinGwen

United States

Several ladies have really enjoyed trying out the steampunk style and learning about it but Jean and her Silas had to be one of the best successful ventures this past year and we all have had fun with him!

She's right...you CAN do anything if you just have the desire and the patience and are willing to do some research or ask questions too.
JeanP on 1/28/2013(UTC)
ScrappinGwen Offline
#53 Posted : Monday, January 28, 2013 2:07:42 PM(UTC)
ScrappinGwen

United States

Here is another little purse made out of paper that I received in a xmas swap. There are templates out there to be found.

So my point of showing you all these purse pictures was to give you some ideas and let you see that there are many options available, from paper mache, to wooden, to paper, to tin. And they are not very expensive to invest in one if you have the craft stores near you. Just use a coupon if you don't catch them on sale.

And like I mentioned, using YES paste is a great way to adhere paper, but you can also use paints and stains, as in Tim Holtz stains. On the side sections of the steampunk purse, I painted it with crackle paint and then I applied UTEE to it to put the hard coating on. Not sure if I liked it or not, but I needed the shine there to match the shininess of the paper. lol.

And whether you diecut your own flowers or butterflies, etc. or use some 3D stickers like I did with the steampunk owl, attaching ribbons, buttons, a nestie cut out verse, pearl flourishes, paper flourishes, etc. etc. IT's not that hard once you start looking for ideas or look thru your stash or walk up and down the aisles at the craft store. Tying off several lengths of ribbon along the handle is another way to dress up the purse.

So now I leave it up to you to start thinking about your purse and if you have questions when you get ready to start on it, just ask!

Edited by user Monday, January 28, 2013 2:15:18 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

IMG_4236.JPG
ScrappinGwen Offline
#54 Posted : Monday, January 28, 2013 2:23:38 PM(UTC)
ScrappinGwen

United States

I'm sorry in advance if I'm about to bore you but here are some butterfly examples. You can just do stand alone butterflies or you can make something with the butterflies. One idea I scraplifted was to put butterfly wings behind a stick pin. There is a paintcan wrapped with butterfly paper, and embellished with butterflies on the lid. The butterfly on the cover of the mini album is a cuttlebug diecut. Note how I cut it 3 or 4 times, even using a different color in the middle layer and layered it. I believe I put some glossy accents inside near the body and left it alone to dry into a "bump" so that the layers couldn't get flattened over time. It was a way to give 3D dimension to the butterfly. The blue butterfly is stamped on the front of a 3x3 notecard and I just did some sponging for the sky and stamped the branch on too. The last picture is the same CB diecut and embossed butterflies layed out on a mini album page...see how I used a gem flourish to make the "trail". And see how adding some pearls to the body dresses that plain ole cardstock up! I think I sprayed some glimmer mist on them too.

Also, I found another altered purse made out of a cigar box....

Edited by user Monday, January 28, 2013 2:57:58 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

IMG_4902.JPG
IMG_4909.JPG
IMG_4908.JPG
IMG_4622.JPG
IMG_4793.JPG
IMG_4794.JPG
IMG_4693.JPG
IMG_4694.JPG
IMG_4511.JPG
lauraa Offline
#55 Posted : Monday, January 28, 2013 4:03:28 PM(UTC)
lauraa

Thank you Gwen for all the pictures, helps so much and the advice to use YES glue. I have a **** of a time getting paper on mini albums so that it stays... been using spray adhesive <FAIL>

Hello to my Secret Sister. I hope you will like everything I create for you!
I can't wait to get started!

Laura
Kazalah Offline
#56 Posted : Monday, January 28, 2013 4:36:44 PM(UTC)
Kazalah

United States

Gwen,

Yes thanks for posting all your helpful photos. I think if we get stuck coming back to this thread to check out your postings will be helpful.

Lori

P.S. I'm so excited to get started on my Secret Sister's goodies!
ScrappinGwen Offline
#57 Posted : Monday, January 28, 2013 6:21:34 PM(UTC)
ScrappinGwen

United States

I should also say that most of these projects are from a couple years ago. I'm not sure if that makes a difference to any of you other then to say that in the past year or so there have been so many new projects, fads, techniques arrive here on this swap forum. I was just trying to go back and seek out anything I could find on purses, butterflies, etc.

But if you are just getting started in this crafting world, maybe what we did a couple years ago was more simpler as we were all novices back then too! lol We were just getting introduced to all of Tim Holtz's techniques a couple years ago so of course what we did prior to him was much more simplified.

#58 Posted : Tuesday, January 29, 2013 12:40:24 AM(UTC)
NotGoingGreyGracefully

Thanks for all the pictures and ideas. I still don't understand what steampunk is, but I'll keep working at it. Maybe I won't attempt it the first month..LOL LOL

Big waves to my partner, where ever you are!!

BTW, the partner I am making stuff for is not necessarily the one who is making stuff for me, right? Oh, heck with it, I just want to have some fun with this swap!

NGGG
ScrappinGwen Offline
#59 Posted : Tuesday, January 29, 2013 4:17:59 AM(UTC)
ScrappinGwen

United States

Correct, who you are making for...is NOT making for you!

I will explain some steampunk later when I have some free time.

One of the fellow scrappers here has a great explanation for it, if I can find her post.

But it's all about gears, metals, wings, old pocket watches and watch parts. It's very unique and not something you will really attempt right off the bat. You have to collect some stash for it too....

Google it and you will find pics to study. You start off hating it, but then it grows on you as your interest in crafting styles also broadens. At least for me, that is how it works. lol Or you start off loving it the very first time you see it. It's one way or the other, no in between. It's huge at Halloween time for costumes too. THey have steampunk conventions around the country too. People decorate their homes in total steampunk. It's not a new fad at all. Just seemed to be new to most of us here on the swap forum this past couple of years but we have learned to embrace it and love it and have fun with it! All positive.
NotGoingGreyGracefully on 1/29/2013(UTC)
Kazalah Offline
#60 Posted : Tuesday, January 29, 2013 5:54:46 AM(UTC)
Kazalah

United States

Gwen,

Question... In Part 4 you said... Seeds of Kindness – please craft 3 Thank You cards for your partner.

A2 size cards; front panel must have at least 2 layers of paper; and some ribbon, lace, border punch strip of paper must also be included on the front panel; as well as the word "Thank You".

Do we have to use ALL those embellishments on it or can we pick 1 or 2? ie lace & border punch strip?

Just want to make sure I'm clear on the rules BigGrin

Lori