Flag
  • Sign In
  • 0 items
  • Search
Welcome Guest! Please login to enable all features.

Notification

Icon
Error

dana8a243384 Offline
#1 Posted : Tuesday, February 05, 2013 3:27:56 PM(UTC)
dana8a243384

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
I have problems with the more intricate cuts anyway and usually slow my machine down and have pretty good luck. However, in CCR, the speed is locked. So, now what? I just purchased 2 of the new Valentine's Day card templates. I am trying to cut the one that looks like an iron gate with 3 hearts in it. (I am trying to make oriental lanterns with it.BigGrin) The problem is that about half of the cuts don't finish, the paper curls back on itself. I don't have the motivation to recut them all with an Exacto knife, that's what I have my Cricut for, right?

Help!
Sherri Kay Offline
#2 Posted : Tuesday, February 05, 2013 3:36:46 PM(UTC)
Sherri Kay

United States

Was thanked: 2396 time(s) in 2148 post(s)
The speed is not locked in CCR. You must tell it the type of paper you are cutting, and then a setting will come up. You can change those settings though to whatever you like. I just cut an extremely intricate image from Damask Decor and it cut beautifully. The paper I used was even glitter paper. I used a speed of 4. Smile
CricketCMV Offline
#3 Posted : Tuesday, February 05, 2013 7:30:31 PM(UTC)
CricketCMV

Medals: Cricut Circle Member: Member of the Cricut Circle

Groups: Registered, Circle Member

Was thanked: 8087 time(s) in 4731 post(s)
Dana - How small are you trying to make your cut? Maybe one of us can try it to see if we have any luck and then try to help you from that.

What cart?
What size?
What kind of paper are you using; we can try to use the same weight to see what we get and if we can get it to cut, we can tell you what settings we used. If it's soft paper, I usually go with SPEED Med. BLADE DEPTH 4 and PRESSURE Med.!

You must be sure you have good adherance with the paper to your mat, also. If your paper is slipping one little iota, you probably won't get a good cut. You'll probably get paper rolling up onto itself. I like to use my bone folder to brayer the paper to the mat and then I tape on all four sides of my paper. Sometimes, just using a paper 1/2" bigger than what you need and use painter's tape or masking tape on those four edges to hold the paper still.

Let us know if you get anything to work.

Char

Edited by user Tuesday, February 05, 2013 7:34:08 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

scrapalette Online
#4 Posted : Tuesday, February 05, 2013 7:33:13 PM(UTC)
scrapalette

Groups: Circle Member, Registered
United States

Was thanked: 19028 time(s) in 8503 post(s)
Originally Posted by: dana8a243384 Go to Quoted Post
I have problems with the more intricate cuts anyway and usually slow my machine down and have pretty good luck. However, in CCR, the speed is locked. So, now what? I just purchased 2 of the new Valentine's Day card templates. I am trying to cut the one that looks like an iron gate with 3 hearts in it. (I am trying to make oriental lanterns with it.BigGrin) The problem is that about half of the cuts don't finish, the paper curls back on itself. I don't have the motivation to recut them all with an Exacto knife, that's what I have my Cricut for, right?

Help!

If the paper is curling back on itself, it sounds like your paper is stuck to the mat. Even the cutout pieces should remain stuck to the mat. You can try cleaning your mat with warm water and letting it air dry to reactivate the adhesive. Or you can use a brayer to make sure the paper is stuck all over the mat.
dana8a243384 Offline
#5 Posted : Wednesday, February 06, 2013 8:31:37 PM(UTC)
dana8a243384

Ok, I took all the different advice and it cut beautifully... but now I can't get it off the mat... at all. Conclusion - the paper I am using is crud. Cursing Back to the drawing board.Crying

Thanks for the help everyone!
Olivia'sNana Offline
#6 Posted : Wednesday, February 06, 2013 8:48:21 PM(UTC)
Olivia'sNana

Was thanked: 903 time(s) in 438 post(s)
When your mat is brand new, it is sometimes too sticky. To fix this problem, you can condition it by patting all over with the palm of your hands are laying clean dishtowel or tshirt over it and lift. This will take enough tack of to keep your papers from basically gluing to the mat.

The quality of paper makes so much difference in the success or failure of cuts. It is really a trial and error thing but my experience, the one paper that I stay away from is any single sheet papers or cardstock from hobby lobby. No matter what I do, my machine will chew it up and spit out. AC cardstock is my favorite and cuts perfect. Another habit I have gotten into and especially with intricate cuts is do 2x multi cut (well basically it doesn't matter what I am cutting, I always 2x and have eliminated most incomplete cutting).
 1 user thanked Olivia'sNana for this useful post.
dana8a243384 on 2/9/2013(UTC)
dana8a243384 Offline
#7 Posted : Saturday, February 09, 2013 2:28:42 PM(UTC)
dana8a243384

By the grace of God I found another package in my stash of black cardstock that was a better quality. It then cut out perfectly. I was pressed to finish it for a project at work the next day. My husband wonders why I need "so much paper", here is one reason!!
 1 user thanked dana8a243384 for this useful post.
CricketCMV on 2/9/2013(UTC)
CricketCMV Offline
#8 Posted : Saturday, February 09, 2013 2:45:24 PM(UTC)
CricketCMV

Groups: Registered, Circle Member

Was thanked: 8087 time(s) in 4731 post(s)
The softer papers are harder to get off the mats.......but, I find that if I use the little spatula-looking tool or the edge of one of my box cutters to lift up a corner, the rest of the cut starts popping up.

Also, if I raise it level with the mat (rather than try to curl it up), it comes off better.

There are little tricks to lifting the papers sometimes, too!! LOL.

We've all been there done that and just when we think we have it all figured out......a cut curls all up on itself and/or it tears when lifting it off the mat. Fortunately, it doesn't happen all that often when you learn more little tricks of the trade.

I have often threatened to go back to the TIPS AND TRICKS forum just to see what I've missed over the past two or three years I haven't bothered with it. If you've never read those threads, you can pick up a lot of valuable information there.

Char