Flag
  • Sign In
  • 0 items
  • Search
Welcome Guest! Please login to enable all features.

Notification

Icon
Error

debbiewilliams599598cf7e Offline
#1 Posted : Monday, February 18, 2013 2:27:14 PM(UTC)
debbiewilliams599598cf7e

Groups: Registered

I am new to Cricut. I just bought my first Cricut Expression and I know I am going to love it but...I am having the most horrible time trying to get paper off the mat after I cut something. The paper ripped and stuck to the mat wasting a whole sheet of paper. I had to take a cooking spatula to get the second sheet off and then it curled and I couldn't use the rest of the paper. I must be doing something wrong. It took me some time figuring out about the depth. My first attempt at cutting turned into a mess that wasn't cut through all the way. I know this is going to be fun! I ordered tools and more mats and extra blades and even a couple of new cartridges. Now I am afraid I have wasted a LOT of money on these things and I am not going to be able to do this. I do a lot of scrapbooking and I know this can help a lot with that. But when does it get easier and what am I doing wrong? It's not the machine...it is the operator! Any advice for beginners? I need some badly! Blushing
MaryStillman Offline
#2 Posted : Monday, February 18, 2013 2:51:17 PM(UTC)
MaryStillman

Was thanked: 1248 time(s) in 791 post(s)
You caught on quick! ProvoCraft does sell a spatula for removing cuts from the sticky mats. I use mine all the time, and the stickier the mat, the more I use it. I would suggest you invest in one or two from your local craft store. The ones that are made to lift images off the mat have a much finer edge that help get under the pieces.

It's like a catch 22, you need a really sticky mat to cut the intricate pieces, but the intricate pieces won't come off the sticky mat.

Mary
Godot's Girl Offline
#3 Posted : Monday, February 18, 2013 4:36:32 PM(UTC)
Godot's Girl

Medals: Cricut Circle Member: Member of the Cricut Circle

Groups: Circle Member, Registered
United States
Location: Too far from the farm! MQ pg.13, #387; Circle MQ pg. 4, #98

Was thanked: 2950 time(s) in 1765 post(s)
Welcome! Glad you have joined the Cricut community.

Now to add to the above post, to make your mat slightly less sticky, and thus avoid some of the ripped paper issues, take your hands and pat them all over the mat. The oil from your hands will help make the mat just the tiniest bit less sticky, and allow the paper to come up more easily. You could also do this with a clean white cotton t-shirt...the fine lint from the shirt will do the same thing.

Remove your paper slowly, using the spatula the entire way to help lift it. Bending the mat a little helps as well. You are still going to end up with some bent and/or ripped up paper...just the nature of the thing. Once the mat loses that super stickiness, your paper will come off easier. HTH. GG

Edited by user Monday, February 18, 2013 4:39:07 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

CraftyOldBat Online
#4 Posted : Monday, February 18, 2013 4:47:06 PM(UTC)
CraftyOldBat

United States

Was thanked: 408 time(s) in 340 post(s)
Also I never use patterned paper on a fresh mat. Cardstock is heavier therefore easier to lift off a really sticky mat. I use an older mat or wait til it's not so sticky to use thinner designer papers. HTH
 1 user thanked CraftyOldBat for this useful post.
donnails53df395d1b on 2/19/2013(UTC)
debbiewilliams599598cf7e Offline
#5 Posted : Monday, February 18, 2013 8:51:45 PM(UTC)
debbiewilliams599598cf7e

Thanks for the input and advice! I am sticking (literally! lol) with it. And after I master the basics I will try the software. One thing at a time! I appreciate the help ya'll! Looking forward to making some awesome scrapbook pages with this thing! BigGrin
Leanner Offline
#6 Posted : Monday, February 18, 2013 9:24:12 PM(UTC)
Leanner

Medals: Cricut Circle Member: Member of the Cricut Circle

Groups: Circle Member, Registered

Was thanked: 1557 time(s) in 1145 post(s)
I will sometimes stick down a scrap piece of paper (you know, that stuff in the stack that you will never use) a couple of times on a new mat. That way, I am not discouraged if it sticks too much or curls coming off.

Pretty soon, you will be wanting to know how to make a mat sticky again...
TipsyGypsyArtCof175267b Offline
#7 Posted : Thursday, May 15, 2014 8:05:18 AM(UTC)
TipsyGypsyArtCof175267b

I am so glad someone posted that question. I just got my brand new explore and did great with cardstock but my thinner paper ripped up. I am so excited to have this machine. It is my very first Cricut and I am already in love with it.
CanadianRose Offline
#8 Posted : Thursday, May 15, 2014 9:01:57 AM(UTC)
CanadianRose

United Kingdom

Was thanked: 898 time(s) in 476 post(s)
What mat are you using? There are three kinds, "LightGrip mat allows you to easily cut and remove common office printer paper, vellum, light cardstock, and more. The StandardGrip mat has been re-formulated for improved performance. It’s perfect for a wide range of medium-weight materials, including patterned paper, vinyl, iron-on, and cardstock. The StrongGrip mat offers a strong hold surface perfect for heavyweight materials such as specialty cardstock, glitter cardstock, chipboard, and fabric with stiffener. It’s our longest lasting mat featuring double life adhesive technology. - See more at: http://us.cricut.com/Sho...ete-Set-317-12590." (copied from Shop). If your paper is tearing, try using the lightgrip. HTH!!
 1 user thanked CanadianRose for this useful post.
Cricut Tamara :) on 5/15/2014(UTC)
teriwitt0765176f Offline
#9 Posted : Thursday, May 15, 2014 9:32:14 AM(UTC)
teriwitt0765176f

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
I just had the same thing happen. Got my Explore three days ago, and did the sample first project with no problem.

Made my own design and cut it out. When I went to remove it from the mat, the card stock (that came with the machine) actually tore up in layers, meaning I was pulling up the top layer while the bottom layer was sticking to the mat. I was VERY frustrated, and if this is how this machine is going to work, it might go back to the store. I am using a standard grip mat that came with the machine.

Why would one sheet of card stock come out fine, and the next one shred as it's being pulled off?
Cricut Tamara :) Offline
#10 Posted : Thursday, May 15, 2014 11:58:22 AM(UTC)
Cricut Tamara :)

Groups: Circle Moderator, Cricut Community Moderator, Registered

Was thanked: 194 time(s) in 115 post(s)
Originally Posted by: teriwitt0765176f Go to Quoted Post
I just had the same thing happen. Got my Explore three days ago, and did the sample first project with no problem.

Made my own design and cut it out. When I went to remove it from the mat, the card stock (that came with the machine) actually tore up in layers, meaning I was pulling up the top layer while the bottom layer was sticking to the mat. I was VERY frustrated, and if this is how this machine is going to work, it might go back to the store. I am using a standard grip mat that came with the machine.

Why would one sheet of card stock come out fine, and the next one shred as it's being pulled off?

Hi Teri

I would recommend using a spatula to lift your paper from the mat. You can purchase this tool in the standard tool kit or individually on cricut.com. This tool really helps get underneath your card stock and remove it from your mat. :)

Cricut Tamara