Flag
  • Sign In
  • 0 items
  • Search
Welcome Guest! Please login to enable all features.

Notification

Icon
Error

mesuesse03474fa2 Offline
#1 Posted : Friday, February 22, 2013 6:28:07 PM(UTC)
mesuesse03474fa2

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I am new to cricut and am a little leary about buying digital. Several cartridges I need are only digital. What happens after you buy them? Are they always there? What happens if, forbid, this website no longer exists, do you just loose it all? How does everyone feel about digital vs your own cartridge? Help me please Crying
 1 user thanked mesuesse03474fa2 for this useful post.
joybell on 2/23/2013(UTC)
Dragonfly50 Offline
#2 Posted : Friday, February 22, 2013 8:53:43 PM(UTC)
Dragonfly50

United States

Was thanked: 1221 time(s) in 728 post(s)
Personally I prefer physical carts.
I can use them anytime, anywhere.
I can share them with my friends.

I use and love CCR but if it is offline or there is internet issues you will not be able to use your digital carts. (Unless you have a Gypsy. I do not)

But as you stated some of the carts you want are only available digitally so if you want to use them that is your only choice.

Like everything you have to do what feels right to you.

I do own a few individual digital cuts and have considered getting one of the carts that is only available digitally so I would never say never.

D-
Ireland Offline
#3 Posted : Friday, February 22, 2013 9:38:21 PM(UTC)
Ireland

Medals: Cricut Circle Member: Member of the Cricut Circle

Groups: Registered, Circle Member

Was thanked: 262 time(s) in 193 post(s)
Dragonfly pretty much summed it up for me, I prefer the physical cart. Plus if I'm paying pretty much the same for digital as physical, then I'd much prefer to pay for the physical and get the cart, box and booklet. I took a crafting break for a bit and "'missed" that that the imagine was d/c'd and now all the carts are sold out on cricut.com. So I've spent the last couple of weeks stalking eBay for them. Happy to say I've gotten all the ones I want for $15 or less, the same price cricut.com had them for. So I say stalk ebay and see if you can find the ones you want.
 1 user thanked Ireland for this useful post.
mhohnstadt76393e37 on 3/17/2013(UTC)
CricketCMV Offline
#4 Posted : Friday, February 22, 2013 9:51:57 PM(UTC)
CricketCMV

Was thanked: 8313 time(s) in 4909 post(s)
I forget when we started BETA CCR here....I think it was two years ago this last Christmas!

I love working in my computer. I LOVE CCR. In all the times I come to work in CCR, there have only been a few times I couldn't get on the site. You can make any shaped card you want in CCR; you can also manipulate shapes to a degree to get something entirely different than you can using your CRICUTS manually.

To me, it's free. YES, we are paying for digital cartridges. I think we have to TRUST that ProvoCraft will be maintaining the site for some time. We don't know, of course. I honestly have not spent any money buying digitals, as yet. I have gotten some free ones when I bought my MINI, PC has given us some free ones and lately, we got a $50 credit to use in buying digitals. I am getting more interested in a few I'll have to buy if I want them.

I don't think ProvoCraft/CCR will go away anytime soon.

Having said that, I don't know how much money I want to put into digitals. BUT, I do love that I can use ALL my cartridges in CCR (that I own) and also the fact ProvoCraft is giving us FREEBIES every week to try out (for how long is anyone's guess)!

I PROBABLY WON'T PAY FULL PRICE FOR DIGITALS.....will wait and get the few images I really want (and pay a couple of dollars for), rather than buy a $40 cartridge that I bring home and only use a few images from in over a year. I have around 60 cartridges. Some of them, I've never opened. So, in essence, on some of those cartridges, I paid $40 for two images!!!! There are some cartridges I have used quite a few images on and usually use those over and over.

So, I guess it's what you want to do. I AM HAVING LOTS OF FUN IN CCR AND SO GLAD I WENT WITH IT A YEAR OR TWO AGO....when it first started.

Char
 1 user thanked CricketCMV for this useful post.
LauraEbeth on 2/26/2013(UTC)
Dragonfly50 Offline
#5 Posted : Saturday, February 23, 2013 4:49:28 AM(UTC)
Dragonfly50

United States

Was thanked: 1221 time(s) in 728 post(s)
Originally Posted by: mesuesse03474fa2 Go to Quoted Post
I am new to cricut and am a little leary about buying digital. Several cartridges I need are only digital. What happens after you buy them? Are they always there? What happens if, forbid, this website no longer exists, do you just loose it all? How does everyone feel about digital vs your own cartridge? Help me please Crying

I wanted to let you know that the digital carts/cut are on sale for 15% off 2/22-2/24.

I made a list of ones I want that I can only get digitally and will probably get some today.
I look through the digital handbooks to see if there are enough cuts on it to make it worth my while.

I will trust that Provo Craft will be around in the future.
The more we buy the better their chances in this economy.

They are coming out with new product on a regular basis and that keeps us addicted crafters happy.LOL Drool Love

Love that they are starting to make larger 12 x 5-1/2 Cuttlebug folders!! Can't wait to see more!
I would love it if they would make some of their most popular folders in the larger sizes also.

I've loved their last few cartridge releases (I have almost 200 and keep finding cuts I love!)

WELCOME TO THE WONDERFUL WORLD OF CRICUT!
D-

Edited by user Saturday, February 23, 2013 4:53:48 AM(UTC)  | Reason: :)

LauraEbeth Offline
#6 Posted : Tuesday, February 26, 2013 4:24:54 PM(UTC)
LauraEbeth

United States

Was thanked: 18 time(s) in 14 post(s)
If digital carts go to the wayside, i'm gonna be completely out of luck! My mom got me started on this addiction, and once I discovered CCR, I've had her connect all the carts to the account and she has the physical cart & I craft digitally. It's worked really well for me and I'm more than willing to tell anyone who'll listen how great it is!

The other thing I've actually noticed is that Digital can be cheaper a LOT of times. There is a particular lite cartridge I really want that's $15 digital, but on ebay it sells for like $40-$50. I am flabbergasted that people would pay that! if physical is cheaper, I'll go that route, link, then give the cart to my mom(we did that with 50 states), but for the most part, digital is cheaper, and there are always sales!
 1 user thanked LauraEbeth for this useful post.
CricketCMV on 2/26/2013(UTC)
Ireland Offline
#7 Posted : Tuesday, February 26, 2013 8:44:21 PM(UTC)
Ireland

When I say the 'same' price, I'm referring to non d/c'd/HTF cartridges. If you look at cricut.com, all the carts that are still readily available are pretty much the same price digitally/cart. Yes, they will put some digitals on sale for $3-$4, but it's still not that 'huge' of a savings when for a few dollars more I can get an actual cartridge and booklet. Ebay pricing gets crazy on d/c'd/popular cartridges, but on cricut.com a cart in stock is the same price as the digital most of the time.

Also, I may be missing something, but I used a credit to buy digital copies of the Imagine pattern carts and can not print a full sheet of the pattern from CCR and bc I do not have the actual cart it won't print directly from my Imagine either. I can use a basic square shape, fill that, then print only, but it still does not fill the whole page.

As well, I'm a gypsy fan, much prefer to be able to make my designs on that, then plug it into my Expression or Imagine. I can design anywhere and am not 'tied' to my laptop or soon, my new pc.

I'm not worried about the site going down or some day no longer existing, I just prefer the physical cart that I can share with friends, take to scraps etc. As well, in the last month since I started paper crafting again, CCR has been super super buggy for me. Won't initialize, then when it does, won't log me in. It's constantly freezing up, not responding, or is slllooowww. I know my system can handle it, as my tech husband had my laptop built to handle online gaming (which is much more graphic/memory intensive than CCR), so that CCR is so buggy for me can be frustrating when I'm trying to do a project.

Edited by user Tuesday, February 26, 2013 8:49:38 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Ireland Offline
#8 Posted : Tuesday, February 26, 2013 8:47:18 PM(UTC)
Ireland

Oh, and as for price of carts, check out what Hello Kitty sells for on Ebay these days, and you can't get the digital for that one. As well, when I got into Cricut, carts sold here in Cda at Michaels for $110 and went on sale for $50. About 2 yrs ago, there was the infamous 'crash' on cartridges and a lot of online stores like cricutmachine.com and a few others were selling them for $12-$15 each, some as low as $8.95 (solutions/seasonals)it was awesome. Lasted a few months and then their prices went back up to 30-50 as PC increased their wholesaler prices.

Edited by user Tuesday, February 26, 2013 8:48:15 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified