Flag
  • Sign In
  • 0 items
  • Search
Welcome Guest! Please login to enable all features.

Notification

Icon
Error

Soshescraps Offline
#1 Posted : Thursday, March 07, 2013 4:07:05 PM(UTC)
Soshescraps

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 1112 time(s) in 881 post(s)
I need some help here regarding this subject. My kids attend a public school and since my son started this school I have been heavily involved and active on the PTA. We got a new principal a few years ago with that came a lot if changes.

Some changes were good and necessary but others are questionable.
So here is the thing with the PTA board. Since you can only serve 2 years on the board last year me and others had to step down. The current board and the scho administration had some issues. Therefore, that entire board is stepping down. We took nominations for a new board.

The principal and administration isn't very welcoming to the new board therefore the principal nominated all teachers to serve on the board.

My question is this, how can a PTA board be ran to its fully functioning capacity with only full time teachers serving on the board? Most everything we did took place during the day. PTA rally's on the capital, meetings, fundraisers, selling chick fil a biscuits etc.

This principal has done nothing but everything in her power to remove the parents from the school. If its not one thing it's another. Birthday celebrations are no longer allowed and parents are no longer welcomed to dinecwitbtgeur students during lunch. Did I mention that she is trying desperately to seek emploent else where?

I wonder if she is an only child or something because she has childish bully like tendencies. As a homeowner in the community I'm not happy with her trying to alienate parent involvement in the school. So now we have to have a run off between eligible stay at home parents who have a vested interest in the school not only because their children attend there, but because they are homeowners in the community.

This post would go on forever if I revealed all the things this principal hasdone. She wants her staff to run the PTA so they can spend the funds on themselves and give the students nothing. She wants money that we have been raising to build a track for iPads for the teachers. She doesn't care that its morally wrong to ell parents we are raising funds to build a track and not so it!

Ok I'm sorry but my heart is heavy right now. Any advice? How would you guys handle this?
Leanner Offline
#2 Posted : Thursday, March 07, 2013 4:26:53 PM(UTC)
Leanner

Medals: Cricut Circle Member: Member of the Cricut Circle

Groups: Circle Member, Registered

Was thanked: 1562 time(s) in 1150 post(s)
Wow! I thought PTA stood for PARENT teacher association. Am I wrong?

In my community, they encourage as much parent support as possible and there are so many ways to volunteer.

Have you contacted the Superintendent for the school district?
LazyBee Offline
#3 Posted : Thursday, March 07, 2013 5:10:18 PM(UTC)
LazyBee

Groups: Registered, Circle Member
United States

Was thanked: 639 time(s) in 306 post(s)
My suggestion would be contact the Superintendant as well. I had a whole thing typed out for you but it all just disappeared. The Super can really be a good ally when dealing with difficult principals.

As a parent I would be concerned with the raising of funds and having them diverted to benefit the teachers only and not the students, especially if those funds were intentionally raised for something specific. From my perspective doing that would be less than honest. There are things the teachers can do like writing for grant money to reach those goals they would like to achieve.

If the administration is reluctant to help the next step would be to go to the board of directors of the district. But if going that route you would need petitions and parents on board to support the cause to get the district to change things. It does work, and I have gone up against a principal who wanted something completely different than the parents. We won..but the principal attempted to take it out on my son which led to my threatening to sue the district for harassment. Fortunately the Super was a neighbor and knew my son and us. He knew I would follow through and he also knew that the principal was way off base. He along with the Director of Education were able to put this principal in check and this principal stayed away from my kids. Fortunately it was only 2 years of middle school.

My point is that you may be in for a fight and if you are up to it for your kids and your neigbors kids it can be worth the effort. Gain those you need as allies because this principal may play dirty and it sounds like he/she already is.

You and the parents are the greatest asset your children have...let your voices be heard and your dollars speak volumes. You don't have to support the PTA or it's endeavors especially if you are being told they don't want your assistance. And with budget cuts and such districts are hammering to find ways to fund other things for their students. There are lots of things parents can do that will get the attention of the principal and the administration. Keep us posted as to what is going on. I wish you luck.

Edited by user Thursday, March 07, 2013 5:12:54 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

1 user thanked LazyBee for this useful post.
Soshescraps on 3/7/2013(UTC)
Soshescraps Offline
#4 Posted : Thursday, March 07, 2013 5:11:34 PM(UTC)
Soshescraps

United States

Originally Posted by: Leanner Go to Quoted Post
Wow! I thought PTA stood for PARENT teacher association. Am I wrong?

In my community, they encourage as much parent support as possible and there are so many ways to volunteer.

Have you contacted the Superintendent for the school district?

It does stand for parent teacher but the principal is doing everything in her possible to push parents put of the school. I'm wondering who will run the copy committee that the parents started to do all the copying for the teachers? And the school store? How will they be ae to do those things and work at the same time?

Looks as if its time for me to take another approach to this situation.
LazyBee Offline
#5 Posted : Thursday, March 07, 2013 5:21:23 PM(UTC)
LazyBee

United States

Was thanked: 639 time(s) in 306 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Soshescraps Go to Quoted Post
It does stand for parent teacher but the principal is doing everything in her possible to push parents put of the school. I'm wondering who will run the copy committee that the parents started to do all the copying for the teachers? And the school store? How will they be ae to do those things and work at the same time?

Looks as if its time for me to take another approach to this situation.

By stopping those services you would send a very strong message to the administration. The teachers would have a huge amount of additional work put on their shoulders. I know coppying is time intensive...I've done it. It's not just copying...it's seperating, collating, stapling...
My daughter teaches 3rd grade and she loves this service as it frees up her time to do more important tasks.

The problem is though that it's not just the teachers who loose it is also the students and that it what needs to be impressed upon the admin...is this what they want? And how by taking the current action of only teachers on the PTA is that going to benefit all parties? Is that going to make their job easier or more difficult? Good questions for the Superintendant.

Edited by user Thursday, March 07, 2013 5:21:58 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

1 user thanked LazyBee for this useful post.
Soshescraps on 3/8/2013(UTC)
Khrista Offline
#6 Posted : Thursday, March 07, 2013 11:11:05 PM(UTC)
Khrista

United States

Was thanked: 2510 time(s) in 1398 post(s)
Ikes. That's some lines I wouldn't be crossing (having been an administrator myself). If you're not feeling that the Principal is listening, then the next level up is the district office which is the Superintendent. I don't know any Superintendent that doesn't want parents and community involved. Depending on the PTA, some have gone through the process for being a non-profit etc. I'd look at your state PTA guidelines etc. Teachers usually love parent volunteers, and the help of the PTA.. <hence why we have them>. Usually their involvement on one is for input that yes that would be great, or we don't think that would really help the kids.. or we'd love to do x if the PTA would be willing to help support us, etc. and so on.

HTH
:)Khrista
 1 user thanked Khrista for this useful post.
Soshescraps on 3/8/2013(UTC)
ladybugstamper Offline
#7 Posted : Friday, March 08, 2013 7:27:53 AM(UTC)
ladybugstamper

Was thanked: 496 time(s) in 253 post(s)
Hi!
You should take this to your PTA Regional or National representative and see what they bylaws actually say.

Also, in my school district about 10 years ago they changed the rules so that paid classified workers could not be on PTC (Parent Teacher Club so we didn't have to pay dues to the national organization). That was great, we all had to leave because we were parents and yard duty or crossing guards.

My kids are all up and gone so I'm not part of this anymore, but at the time I was the treasurer and didn't have any problems with our Principal or staff, I'm sorry you're going through this.
joyfullycrafting Offline
#8 Posted : Friday, March 08, 2013 8:54:13 AM(UTC)
joyfullycrafting

United States

Was thanked: 1488 time(s) in 1185 post(s)
Just as ladybugstamper said, ours is called something,but not PTA as we are not affiliated with the national organization.

And NO, a group like that needs to be parent driven, not teacher driven. IMHO, teachers have too much on their plates as it is, try to follow all of the goverenment mandates that are required of them, and in many cases, they have to parent the children because too many parents don't have a clue.

Which is why is is to important for parents that do care to be involved in the schools of their children.

Go higher.

(I have been a board member of our local school district for almost 16 years! Involvement at the top, I guess.)
 2 users thanked joyfullycrafting for this useful post.
Soshescraps on 3/8/2013(UTC), Larmabee on 3/10/2013(UTC)
Soshescraps Offline
#9 Posted : Friday, March 08, 2013 2:09:22 PM(UTC)
Soshescraps

United States

Thanks for all of your wonderful replies and advice. Unfortunately our administration especially the principal is a force to be reckoned with. She wants full control period. This subject has me sore to say the least. My girlfriend is on the nominating committee and she is putting together a list of questions for the teachers. Our main concern is intent. They don't come to any of the functions that PTA sponsors. None of their children attend the school so why are they wanting to be on the board? I believe they are being forced to be on the board by administration.

She will have them fearful of losing their jobs therefore whatever she wants to spend the parents money on she will do. There will be no compromising. This woman is really a piece of work.

I am praying for guidance and direction from God. Seek him first and all things shall be added unto thee.

I want what is best for the kids, the school and most importantly my community.