Flag
  • Sign In
  • 0 items
  • Search
Welcome Guest! Please login to enable all features.

Notification

Icon
Error

yorkshirelass.jude9dc3079b Offline
#1 Posted : Sunday, March 10, 2013 8:42:15 AM(UTC)
yorkshirelass.jude9dc3079b

Groups: Registered

Hello.

I'm hoping someone can help me to understand how the mat layering works with the Mini in the craft room.

I understand the first layer - this is my basic shape/font and it is in one colour

When I click to open layer 2 I notice that the first layer colour is showing and when I delete these it deletes my first layer shapes/fonts.

Do I move my layer 2 shapes over the layer 1 shapes to hide the layer 1 shapes?

Am I doing something wrong? Or am I missing something?

As you can see I am a bit confused on how I should proceed with the mat layering.

I do hope you can help/

Best regards Judith
Olivia'sNana Offline
#2 Posted : Sunday, March 10, 2013 9:06:49 AM(UTC)
Olivia'sNana

Was thanked: 917 time(s) in 451 post(s)
I don't have a mini but the mat layers should work the same with all machines.

First to add a layer, click on the + sign. You can click on the down arrow beside any layers color cirle and change the name of the layer, the color of the layer or delete the layer. The green eyeball can be clicked to hide or see that respective layer. Click on the eyeball to hide and it will change from green to gray, click again to unhide. Theoratically, you want the first layer to be your very bottom layer and the last layer to be the top layer of any cut, especially if you want to place them on your mat to see what the finished layer image will look like. Of course, some images will have pieces that fit on multiple layers in one cut set so this won't exactly work out everytime. You can change the order of your layers at any time by right click and hold any part of the tab of the respective layer and slide using your mouse left or right and and then release you mouse when you get it in the order you want. Sometimes this takes a little practice to get the coordination just right to make it move (click in the area between the eyball and the color circle to move)

The active layer (the one that images will be placed on is the one that is the lighter gray in color. The darker grayed tabs are the inactive layers. My mistake often is that I will try to place an image on my mat and then I can't see it. It is always because I have the active layer hidden and it is actually placing it where I am telling it to, but just not what I intended because I forgot to click on the correct tab to make it active.

Always keep in mind when you are having problems check the eyeball and which tab do you have active If you are placing an image and you can't see it, it's because you have the active tab hidden. If you placing an image and it is the wrong intended color, it is because you have the wrong layer active. Green eyeball means you can see the layer/gray means it is hidden. Light gray tab is the current active tab, the one that images will be placed on - the darker tab)s) are inactive. You can see or not see all tabs depending on how you have the eyeball.

Hope this helps. The mat layers is a very useful tool once you get the hang of it.

When you go to cut the layers, you can select which one you want to cut. For instance, I may have layers 1, 2, 3 & 4 layed out to where I have images I want cut in green on layer one and have them placed in the 1st 1/4 of page, layer #2 is cuts I want in green, and have them in the 2nd 1/4 of the mat, layer 3 black and placed in the bottom 3rd 1/4 of mat and layer 4 white and images placed in the 4th 1/4 of mat. Placed all my 4 colors of papers on my mat and load the mat. Select cut layer 1, it will cut layer one, when finished without unloading mat, select cut layer 2 and so on. Or you can cut each layer individually for instance if you have a full sheet of one color to cut or if you have the same or similar scenerio but all on one layer. I know this is probably clear as mud. Let me know if something is confusing and will try to clarify.

Edited by user Sunday, March 10, 2013 9:23:50 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

yorkshirelass.jude9dc3079b Offline
#3 Posted : Sunday, March 10, 2013 10:08:50 AM(UTC)
yorkshirelass.jude9dc3079b

Hello.

Thank you for your reply. I now understand how the layers work. I shall print off your reply and keep it safe as I am sure I will forget the next time I try to use the mat layers.

Thank you again

Judith