Flag
  • Sign In
  • 0 items
  • Search
Welcome Guest! Please login to enable all features.

Notification

Icon
Error

MaryStillman Offline
#1 Posted : Saturday, March 16, 2013 11:39:36 AM(UTC)
MaryStillman

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 1255 time(s) in 797 post(s)
With the new cart support slowing down on the gypsys and almost not existent on DS, here are my thoughts on what the next new cricut will be like, based off of the evolution from the first cricut to the mini.

Totally digital - no slot for a cartridge.
Totally CRC dependent
Print and cut using an electronic eye and your own printer

Here's what I think would make it an awesome machine.

The ability to design in CCR, save to an SD card and cut independently on the new machine. This would require an "invisible" machine based CCR that would recognize welds, etc. Only images that you own could be saved to an sd card.

Of course, the problem of not being able to link carts on a gypsy to CCR needs to be solved.

What do you think would make the next machine awesome?

Mary
Scrappy_Vee Offline
#2 Posted : Saturday, March 16, 2013 12:20:33 PM(UTC)
Scrappy_Vee

New Zealand

Was thanked: 318 time(s) in 213 post(s)
I think the real question should be: If a new Cricut machine becomes available, would you want to by it?

With all the issues surrounding Imagine and Gypsy, I'm not sure I would. Provocraft should be concentrating on fixing current problems, not releasing new ones.
 7 users thanked Scrappy_Vee for this useful post.
Steelwillow on 3/16/2013(UTC), Scrapperdee on 3/17/2013(UTC), GracefulGrammar on 3/17/2013(UTC), luv2scrapbook on 3/17/2013(UTC), Calmom on 3/17/2013(UTC), scrappinUPstyle on 3/18/2013(UTC), JanaBailey on 3/21/2013(UTC)
deleted Offline
#3 Posted : Saturday, March 16, 2013 12:52:44 PM(UTC)
deleted

Was thanked: 76 time(s) in 54 post(s)
You are describing a machine that already exists - only from a different company. And it works great. And it is an awesome machine. It will be on HSN on March 25 if you want to see a demo of it.
 4 users thanked deleted for this useful post.
Ken's Kreations on 3/17/2013(UTC), GracefulGrammar on 3/17/2013(UTC), luv2scrapbook on 3/17/2013(UTC), JanaBailey on 3/21/2013(UTC)
scrapalette Offline
#4 Posted : Saturday, March 16, 2013 2:57:43 PM(UTC)
scrapalette

Medals: Cricut Circle Member: Member of the Cricut Circle

Groups: Circle Member, Registered
United States

Was thanked: 19161 time(s) in 8569 post(s)
Lots of software based cutters were already on the market when PC decided to develop the Cricut, a cart based cutter. I don't think they will ever do away with cart based cutters. But I do see having the option for cart based or digital an option for more crafters. Everyone has different needs/wants when crafting and having one machine that gives the choice of cart or digital reaches a bigger market.
sewnmachine Offline
#5 Posted : Saturday, March 16, 2013 3:14:31 PM(UTC)
sewnmachine

Was thanked: 372 time(s) in 252 post(s)
As much as I love CCR, I still love my cartridges more. And frankly, I think cartridges are a much better value than buying individual designs ( from the company that shall not be named). Because seriously, even at full retail price, if you love and use all of the designs that come on a cartridge - that is alot of bang for your buck.

I want to see CCR continue - but would love an offline application. I love using it to design. But honestly, I really don't do much "designing". For the most part, I see an image I like, pop in the cartridge, set the dial and cut.

These would be on my wish list;

***A new iteration of the Expression. A lean, mean, cutting machine - but slimmed down. Same creative features, and a slot for cartridges, but a more compact version. The 6" cutting widths are passe, but 12" is just right.

***A tablet application for CCR - online and offline. This could/would also be the re-incarnation of the Gypsy. I don't know of anybody that wouldn't prefer a tablet sized device on their craft table versus a big ol honkin laptop. It's too cumbersome.

ProvoCraft had a really good thing going, and a huge in-store presence. Why are they letting the competition beat the socks off of them??

1 user thanked sewnmachine for this useful post.
nightmare/fan on 3/18/2013(UTC)
GypsyBoricua Offline
#6 Posted : Saturday, March 16, 2013 4:15:55 PM(UTC)
GypsyBoricua

Was thanked: 872 time(s) in 480 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Scrappy_Vee Go to Quoted Post
I think the real question should be: If a new Cricut machine becomes available, would you want to by it?

With all the issues surrounding Imagine and Gypsy, I'm not sure I would. Provocraft should be concentrating on fixing current problems, not releasing new ones.

No more PC machines for me. The only thing I plan on buying from PC is a backup expression. Never bought the E2. After getting burned on the Imagine, no more PC. Don't care if they design a machine that can read my thoughts and create what I am thinking, it probably wouldn't work they way that they promise anyway. NO, NO, NO!!!
 4 users thanked GypsyBoricua for this useful post.
Steelwillow on 3/16/2013(UTC), St.Kittsscrapper on 3/19/2013(UTC), Trinity on 3/19/2013(UTC), JanaBailey on 3/21/2013(UTC)
Di&Co Offline
#7 Posted : Saturday, March 16, 2013 4:25:54 PM(UTC)
Di&Co

Groups: Registered, Circle Member
Canada

Was thanked: 22393 time(s) in 5457 post(s)
Why mess with a good reliable machine, the Expression. Easy to run and reliable with tons of options to cut from the tons of carts available. I don't need a fancy schmancy new machine, we already have a great machine!
 1 user thanked Di&Co for this useful post.
Scrappy_Vee on 3/16/2013(UTC)
sewnmachine Offline
#8 Posted : Saturday, March 16, 2013 4:39:34 PM(UTC)
sewnmachine

Originally Posted by: Di&Co. Go to Quoted Post
Why mess with a good reliable machine, the Expression. Easy to run and reliable with tons of options to cut from the tons of carts available. I don't need a fancy schmancy new machine, we already have a great machine!

I agree in theory. But if PC just keeps slogging along with the same old, same old..... they won't be around much longer. As with all things electronic, the times and technology changes. If you can't/don't/won't compete you're dinosaur food.

PC tried to compete with the mini. But I'd don't think that is going to save them. I don't even know if they could survive by keeping a cartridge system. Cartridges are so...... well... dated.

Not to mention, among crafters their reputation is pretty well in shreds. When big crafting names like GinaK start demo'ing the machine that shall not be named - that is HUGE advertising.

Who's a big name that is beating the Cricut drum? When people go shopping and start thinking about buying a cutting machine they also start doing their research. The results for ProvoCraft are not flattering.

NO. They need to come out with a real game changer.

Scrappy_Vee Offline
#9 Posted : Saturday, March 16, 2013 5:20:17 PM(UTC)
Scrappy_Vee

New Zealand

Was thanked: 318 time(s) in 213 post(s)
If you were new to the world of Die Cutting and you did your research, you'd be very wary of the Cricut Brand. This wasn't the case a few years ago. Everyone was on the Cricut train. The Expression had been released and was fantastic to use. New carts were coming out that were must haves. People were getting their crafty pants on and having a blast.

How have things slipped so badly?

I agree that they need to move forward with the times (e.g digital) but I'm sure they want their existing customers to move forward with them.
LeslieZee Offline
#10 Posted : Saturday, March 16, 2013 5:31:09 PM(UTC)
LeslieZee

Groups: Circle Member, Registered

Was thanked: 116 time(s) in 57 post(s)
I'm very curious to see what, if anything, PC plans to do to compete in this market. I suspect they will go in one of two ways. Either they will come out with a new machine as all their current ones have been on sale or clearance everywhere recently or they are grooming the company for sale.

If they decide to stay in business, I suspect they will drop the cartridge base cutters and go completely digital. This would be a major mistake in my humble opinion. CCR is a bug filled internet dependent application that is wholly unreliable and doesn't work as designed. PC has not done a single thing in the last 12 months to correct a single CCR issue facing their current customer base. If they come out with a new machine, it would have to be a truly spectacular design and offered at such a good price to convince all their burned customer base to invest more $$. It will be fun to watch.
 2 users thanked LeslieZee for this useful post.
Scrappy_Vee on 3/16/2013(UTC), GracefulGrammar on 3/16/2013(UTC)
GracefulGrammar Offline
#11 Posted : Saturday, March 16, 2013 6:52:36 PM(UTC)
GracefulGrammar

Was thanked: 2026 time(s) in 981 post(s)
I have been involved with computers and related technology forever........ it's my feeling that everyday PC is falling further and further behind...... There are machines that will out-cut/out-perform and run circles around the current PC cutters, in my opinion. The broken promises, missed/bad updates have taken a serious toll. Many loyal, enthusiastic Cricut lovers have moved on!

I think the magic for PC is in their graphics library! The PC graphics library is outstanding. I would like to see PC open their entire graphics library to all machines and crafters in SVG format. I think PC graphics are an excellent value. I really feel the Cricut is so far behind what is currently on the market that the company's real value is with their graphics library...... CCR doesn't have the capabilities that a good graphics program has, no alignment, no one-click shadowing, etc....... I can't rely on CCR to perform well. I would love to be able to cut PC artwork on other machines with the software of my choice!
 1 user thanked GracefulGrammar for this useful post.
Scrappy_Vee on 3/16/2013(UTC)
MaryStillman Offline
#12 Posted : Saturday, March 16, 2013 8:12:07 PM(UTC)
MaryStillman

Was thanked: 1255 time(s) in 797 post(s)
Originally Posted by: GracefulGrammar Go to Quoted Post

I think the magic for PC is in their graphics library! The PC graphics library is outstanding. I would like to see PC open their entire graphics library to all machines and crafters in SVG format. I think PC graphics are an excellent value. I really feel the Cricut is so far behind what is currently on the market that the company's real value is with their graphics library...... CCR doesn't have the capabilities that a good graphics program has, no alignment, no one-click shadowing, etc....... I can't rely on CCR to perform well. I would love to be able to cut PC artwork on other machines with the software of my choice!

I agree. I think that the image library is their strong suite, and opening it up to other cutters may bring in lots of $$$$ for the company.

Don't know much about the power behind tablets. Would there be enough drive space and ram for a bug free cutter? Would it need to be wireless to the cutter? And would PC spend the money to create a bug free app.

It will be interesting to see what happens cutter wise in the future. Perhaps they will just go back to the original, mini and expression, 3 good basic machines.

Thanks all.

Mary
Clarkie Offline
#13 Posted : Saturday, March 16, 2013 9:56:38 PM(UTC)
Clarkie

Was thanked: 42 time(s) in 42 post(s)
I hope that if they do it embosses well. I will not buy a new cutting machine that doesn't emboss and do it well. I know that there are other cutters out there that emboss and I have looked in to them seriously. But I like my carts so I am still giving provo craft a chance.
Calmom Offline
#14 Posted : Sunday, March 17, 2013 1:58:03 AM(UTC)
Calmom

Was thanked: 2095 time(s) in 1069 post(s)
Originally Posted by: sewnmachine Go to Quoted Post
I agree in theory. But if PC just keeps slogging along with the same old, same old..... they won't be around much longer. As with all things electronic, the times and technology changes. If you can't/don't/won't compete you're dinosaur food.

PC tried to compete with the mini. But I'd don't think that is going to save them. I don't even know if they could survive by keeping a cartridge system. Cartridges are so...... well... dated.

Not to mention, among crafters their reputation is pretty well in shreds. When big crafting names like GinaK start demo'ing the machine that shall not be named - that is HUGE advertising.

Who's a big name that is beating the Cricut drum? When people go shopping and start thinking about buying a cutting machine they also start doing their research. The results for ProvoCraft are not flattering.

NO. They need to come out with a real game changer.

Who's GinaK?

sewnmachine Offline
#15 Posted : Sunday, March 17, 2013 4:58:15 AM(UTC)
sewnmachine

Gina K Designs. She has an enormous following on SplitcoastStampers. She has an online store and a youtube channel. She tapes a new technique or project video about once or twice a week.

I personally have never bought her products, but I do subscribe to her youtube channel.

She has her own line of paper, stamps, inks....etc. And now she is using (but not necessarily promoting) that "other" die cutting machine.

HERE is a link to her online store. You can also click the StampTV link at the top of her page to see some of her videos.
 1 user thanked sewnmachine for this useful post.
Calmom on 3/17/2013(UTC)
GracefulGrammar Offline
#16 Posted : Sunday, March 17, 2013 9:19:27 AM(UTC)
GracefulGrammar

Was thanked: 2026 time(s) in 981 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Scrappy_Vee Go to Quoted Post

I wouldn't consider another PC product until my existing equipment performs as promised........ And since PC feels that discontinuing products is the way to go when things don't work as hyped and promised........ I have no faith in any future products. I wouldn't consider a a tablet made by PC or any other piece of pricey equipment. There are too many broken fences, in my opinion :-((((

Di&Co Offline
#17 Posted : Sunday, March 17, 2013 10:17:23 AM(UTC)
Di&Co

Canada

Was thanked: 22393 time(s) in 5457 post(s)
One also has to remember that the average crafter may not want to create their own designs. I am simply not interested in that and there are a lot of people out there who feel the same. I love the artwork on the carts and frankly with over 60 carts, I have tons of artwork to choose from. I checked my Michaels and they only carry the Cricut brand of cutter. I did not see the other new cutters. They had lots of Cuttlebug stuff and lots of carts. People were still picking them up. Not everyone is into digi.

I did check out the other cutters, Cricut by far outdoes them in the cuts department. Just my opinion, I still love my cricut.
 1 user thanked Di&Co for this useful post.
nightmare/fan on 3/18/2013(UTC)
gcmcevoy Offline
#18 Posted : Sunday, March 17, 2013 6:18:35 PM(UTC)
gcmcevoy

United States

Was thanked: 702 time(s) in 607 post(s)
Originally Posted by: sewnmachine Go to Quoted Post
Gina K Designs. She has an enormous following on SplitcoastStampers. She has an online store and a youtube channel. She tapes a new technique or project video about once or twice a week.

I personally have never bought her products, but I do subscribe to her youtube channel.

She has her own line of paper, stamps, inks....etc. And now she is using (but not necessarily promoting) that "other" die cutting machine.

HERE is a link to her online store. You can also click the StampTV link at the top of her page to see some of her videos.

Wonder how that is going over with PC since she is a big user of the cuttle bug.

CricketCMV Offline
#19 Posted : Sunday, March 17, 2013 9:13:17 PM(UTC)
CricketCMV

Was thanked: 8274 time(s) in 4876 post(s)
It is my hope PC will come through on FIXING the previous machines that haven't done that great...the E2 and the IMAGINE. I think they only stopped production on the IMAGINE until they get it figured out. I know, I know!!! It has taken way too long and it's scary that they have been and are still very, very quiet about anything and everything! Nathan's little announcement a week or two ago didn't help anything, either. NOONE really wanted to hear it again....we're THIS CLOSE!!!

I think they would be crazy to go away from manual use of the machines....as much as I LOVE CCR. As others have said, not everyone wants digital.....why do away with so many of the initial lovers of the CRICUT machines who are still here. There have to be thousands and thousands who are not on the digital bandwagon. Younger people are not going to be able to afford these cutting machines for a long time.....IMHO. They have too many other things to worry about. These companies have to appeal to their older customers and even those who are in their 20's through 50's age groups. These age groups don't have a lot of time to jump on the computer after their busy days. They just want to cut images as quickly as they can and get their projects done....without the fuss of getting on the computer and not being able to complete something because their digitals weren't working at the time.

I DON'T THINK IT WOULD BE IN PC'S BEST INTERESTS TO COME OUT WITH SOMETHING ELSE AT THIS TIME. THEY NEED TO DO SOME FIXING FIRST.

I have literally not had any problems with my Expression, MINI and CCR. I LOVE THEM ALL. But, I would think twice about buying any new machines until they get the bugs out of what's already out there. They have to know many of us feel this way....even those of us who haven't had the problems others have had.

Char
LazyBee Offline
#20 Posted : Monday, March 18, 2013 11:59:31 PM(UTC)
LazyBee

United States

Was thanked: 641 time(s) in 308 post(s)
I am inclined to agree that if PC came out with a newer machine there are many of us who have bought Imagines, E2s, or Gypsies...that have either been discontinued or the support and fixes for those products have been slow in coming or non-existent, would be hard pressed to want to sink additional dollars into something that would potentially have problems. PC has been less than forth-coming or even honest....sure they have made a small effort but reality is that those of us who have these machines feel burned. The only way to change customers opinions is to fix the issues, stand by the product, and when telling customers that you are going to deliver, do so. Don't make people wait months or years. I love what I have...but I don't much care for broken promises and lack of support no matter how ardent a supporter I have been...all the headaches we have experienced alienate and point customers into a different direction and frankly PC has no one to blame but themselves for this mess.
hippi Offline
#21 Posted : Tuesday, March 19, 2013 5:26:54 AM(UTC)
hippi

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
I don't think that PC is doing anything different to other computer based industries. Adobe Photoshop, probably the leading pro graphics company are also considering going over to internet based software. EA Games has also jumped on to the bandwagon, it's only a matter of time before other companies start using this method.

I think PC could have loosened their hold a little and worked with SCAL and MTC instead of slamming them. They could have had an awesome partnership with a fantastic piece of software.

Before they consider bringing out another machine, they need to deal with the Gypsy/CCR sync issue, as a UK user I love the digital carts, they work out so much cheaper for me and CCR, I have never had a problem with it, BUT if PC go under what happens to all the digi carts I purchased.

With all the whoo haa just lately I'm becoming very wary of purchasing more. Especially as quite a few UK sites are now discontinuing selling Cricut carts and machines. It's a pretty worrying trend, especially as even Create and Craft TV aren't even selling them any more, just a few odd carts and the discontinued Cake and reconditioned Create.

Crafting in the UK is expensive, especially if you buy US made products. However, I'd be quite happy to continue buying these products IF we had some guarantees.

I think PC need to be more forthcoming with their plans for the future, otherwise me and a lot of other people will be looking elsewhere for a more reliable machine.
sewnmachine Offline
#22 Posted : Tuesday, March 19, 2013 2:28:56 PM(UTC)
sewnmachine

Originally Posted by: hippi Go to Quoted Post
I don't think that PC is doing anything different to other computer based industries. Adobe Photoshop, probably the leading pro graphics company are also considering going over to internet based software. EA Games has also jumped on to the bandwagon, it's only a matter of time before other companies start using this method.

I think PC could have loosened their hold a little and worked with SCAL and MTC instead of slamming them. They could have had an awesome partnership with a fantastic piece of software.

Before they consider bringing out another machine, they need to deal with the Gypsy/CCR sync issue, as a UK user I love the digital carts, they work out so much cheaper for me and CCR, I have never had a problem with it, BUT if PC go under what happens to all the digi carts I purchased.

With all the whoo haa just lately I'm becoming very wary of purchasing more. Especially as quite a few UK sites are now discontinuing selling Cricut carts and machines. It's a pretty worrying trend, especially as even Create and Craft TV aren't even selling them any more, just a few odd carts and the discontinued Cake and reconditioned Create.

Crafting in the UK is expensive, especially if you buy US made products. However, I'd be quite happy to continue buying these products IF we had some guarantees.

I think PC need to be more forthcoming with their plans for the future, otherwise me and a lot of other people will be looking elsewhere for a more reliable machine.

I think the gist of your post sums up what worries most of us. Right now, at this moment in time, I'm not convinced that ProvoCraft CAN survive. Like you said, the inventory of Cricut cutting machines is dwindling very fast and is now almost non-existant in many stores. That doesn't look encouraging. On the other hand, for whatever reason, I also don't see in-store shelf space for "the other cutting machine". So at least for right now, ProvoCraft still has a more marketable and more recognizable brand name than the other. That's something at least.