Flag
  • Sign In
  • 0 items
  • Search
Welcome Guest! Please login to enable all features.

Notification

Icon
Error

PaperKrafter4Life Offline
#1 Posted : Saturday, March 16, 2013 7:57:51 PM(UTC)
PaperKrafter4Life

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 186 time(s) in 141 post(s)
I went to a CRAFT store today to purchase plastic easter eggs for the asst. living where I work, when I went to pay, POOF my credit card holder, very tiny AND MY cell phone were gone from pockets in my purse. It was the most awful thing, to look and have them be GONE. The store mgr. called the police, who came and suggested (since I was 2 1/2 hours from home which would give thieves ample time to use credit card, etc) -that with the use of the policeWOMANs cell phone we contacted the credit card and bank and froze the accounts, We even contacted my cell phone provider.
Now here is my suggestion to save anyone else a lot of stress and hassle, Get those contact phone numbers for lost or stole cards and put them in a place where u can get to them. You can hide them somewhere in the car, You dont have to write down acct #'s just have the lost or stolen phone numbers and they CAN retrieve your accout info thru a series of questions over the phone. This will stop the fraud possiblity asap. I feel so violated and upset that this happened in a store that I enjoyed going to. I will have a very hard time going back there for a while. The thief spent 100 minutes on my cell phone, but the cell provider was KIND enough to credit that back to me when I purchased a new phone and they retrieved my OLD minutes credit AND My old cell number. I was very lucky to have such a fantastic caring policeWOMAN helping cover all the bases, needless to say I was NOT thinking to clearly by that point. Play it safe and stay safe!!

Edited by user Saturday, March 16, 2013 8:01:09 PM(UTC)  | Reason: typo

8 users thanked PaperKrafter4Life for this useful post.
TulipCollector on 3/16/2013(UTC), rhondah* on 3/16/2013(UTC), jenny dennis on 3/17/2013(UTC), ChrisD on 3/17/2013(UTC), garagesaler on 3/17/2013(UTC), Larmabee on 3/17/2013(UTC), tracey1viec3327a44 on 3/17/2013(UTC), chellabella on 3/17/2013(UTC)
Godot's Girl Offline
#2 Posted : Saturday, March 16, 2013 8:01:41 PM(UTC)
Godot's Girl

Medals: Cricut Circle Member: Member of the Cricut Circle

Groups: Circle Member, Registered
United States
Location: Too far from the farm! MQ pg.13, #387; Circle MQ pg. 4, #98

Was thanked: 2808 time(s) in 1680 post(s)
Good advice. I am so upset for you, and so sorry this happened. What a blessing that police officer was. Take care dear friend, you are in my prayers. GG
MaryStillman Offline
#3 Posted : Saturday, March 16, 2013 8:17:36 PM(UTC)
MaryStillman

Was thanked: 1241 time(s) in 788 post(s)
What a violation, and a good reminder for us all to play it safe. So glad that you got a caring police woman and she was able to help you put a stop on everything!

You are in my prayers.

Mary
rhondah* Offline
#4 Posted : Saturday, March 16, 2013 8:26:07 PM(UTC)
rhondah*

United States

Was thanked: 14358 time(s) in 8783 post(s)
(((HUGS))) So sorry this happened. Thanks so much for the reminder.
MOgoggingirl Offline
#5 Posted : Saturday, March 16, 2013 9:24:27 PM(UTC)
MOgoggingirl

United States

Was thanked: 397 time(s) in 353 post(s)
So sorry to hear this. Thank the Lord you had a caring and helpful policewoman to assist.

Edited by user Saturday, March 16, 2013 9:25:39 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

jenny dennis Offline
#6 Posted : Sunday, March 17, 2013 4:10:14 AM(UTC)
jenny dennis

Groups: Registered, Circle Member

Was thanked: 15301 time(s) in 3702 post(s)
I'm so sorry this happened to you, glad you were able to get some help also hope they are able to catch the thief maybe from whoever they called, glad you were not hurt. Thanks for the reminder.
SouthernVintage Offline
#7 Posted : Sunday, March 17, 2013 6:39:09 AM(UTC)
SouthernVintage

United States

Was thanked: 801 time(s) in 713 post(s)
I, too, am so sorry to see this happened to you. It does seem to happen in the most unlikely places, but thieves are everywhere. My DH had several credit cards stolen from a locker at a wellness center locally. However, he did not even realize it until the next day when our bank called. By that time, the person had charged several thousand dollars and finally one store rejected the card and reported him. (they must have asked for a picture ID.) From the stores he charged at, we could tell he was going south on I85 and assumed it was someone passing through town, or visiting locally. I used to hate pulling out my license to show for ID, but after that, it did not bother me. I totally understand why stores do that...just wish they all would do it now. Thanks for your reminder...we can never be too safe. I understand how violated you feel.
Vintagelady Offline
#8 Posted : Sunday, March 17, 2013 8:23:45 AM(UTC)
Vintagelady

So sorry to hear of you terrible ordeal. It happens way too often

My sister experienced the same thing while shopping one day at a b&b store in a strip mall.
When she went to pay her wallet was gone out of her purse and she knew immediately
when it happend. while in the store a gentleman asked her for her opinion on something
he was looking at. She stopped and talked with him a minute then went on her way.
While she was turned from her cart with her purse sitting in it his accomplice (probably wife) took her
wallet from her purse. The store was not helpful and reluctant to call police. She
tried to tell them what the people looked like and after great pressure from her they
let the police and her look at the pictures from their security cameras and she saw them
leave the store. They told her they couldn't prove they took her wallet and the manager
told her (not mildly) that he was tired of women leaving their purses sitting in their carts while they shopped.

All the time this was going on the thieves were going thru the stripmall spending like crazy.
One place was a computer store where they bought several expensive computers and other items and were never asked to show Id for the credit card. They had her drivers license but they wouldn't show that because my sisters is white caucasion with light colored hair and they were very much were at total differnt nationality in dress, accent and complextion Not once in all the many thousands they spent in many stores did one store ask for Id. (yesterday I was asked for an Id on $9. good for them and me)

The police just told her they would never catch the theif and that she just needed to go
home and call all her cards and get a new drivers license and close her bank accounts

It was nice that you had such good help.

For a long time after, I kept my purse on my arm or in my hand instead of on the shopping cart seat, but I have become forgetful again and have just sit it down on the cart while I look at
things.
So this is a good reminder for me to keep purse closed and on me instead of in the cart
danit13151b71a18b Offline
#9 Posted : Sunday, March 17, 2013 8:54:11 AM(UTC)
danit13151b71a18b

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 6 post(s)
Horrible situation. Glad you came out on the better end of it.

I did not sign the back of my credit card. I printed on the signature line "ASK FOR ID". Yes, I have to show my ID on the rare occasion I use my card but hopefully, it will protect me in the case of a lost or stolen card!

I guess nothing is fool proof because once or twice they didn't ask for my ID!!!
PattyKondek Offline
#10 Posted : Sunday, March 17, 2013 10:01:40 AM(UTC)
PattyKondek

Was thanked: 94 time(s) in 47 post(s)
I work retail and you would be surprised at how many women walk away from their purse in the cart to look at something down the aisle. In the last 6 months our store alone has had 2 purses stolen out of carts. There was a car stolen from from a local grocery store a couple of days ago. The person was shopping and when they went to leave their car was gone, seems they had the keys sitting in the cart and someone walked by and grabbed the keys. The thief went out to the parking lot and using the remote to find the car got in and drove off. Nothing is safe when you're out shopping!!
diann2000 Offline
#11 Posted : Sunday, March 17, 2013 11:30:01 AM(UTC)
diann2000

United States

Was thanked: 988 time(s) in 874 post(s)
Sorry to hear this happened to you. My wallet and camera were stolen out of my purse while at work last April. I am so careful now with my purse and making sure it is locked up at work and zipped closed when out.

Great advice on getting the numbers written down. That was one of the first things I did after calling all them and reporting my card stolen was to write all the numbers down.
JanisD Offline
#12 Posted : Sunday, March 17, 2013 11:35:10 AM(UTC)
JanisD

United States

Was thanked: 1310 time(s) in 1005 post(s)
This is sad & unfortunate that this happened to you....I finally decided to buy a purse with a long strap so I can have it across my body & close at my side or in front of me. This way my arms/hands are free & my purse is so close to me that I would feel if someone was in it. My newest purse has so many zippers, that a thief would get discouraged.

Also, when I go out of town/state/country I call my cc company & let them know where I'll be & for how long. I have been called a few times with my cc co. asking me if I was here or there or purchased a plane ticket for two etc. etc.

I'm glad they do this, even though it can be a pain at times, but at least they are looking out for me.
Recently while in Mexico I used a credit card I rarely use & was worried it would be denied, but it worked fine. A girl near me said her card was denied & said she never thought to let her cc co. know she would be out of the country.

I know I really got off track here, sorry.Blushing I'm sorry these thieves did this to you. I honestly think the thieves think they aren't hurting us by stealing credit cards, they feel it's only hurting the BIG cc companies. Not true, it all falls back on us in one way or another.
Selena Offline
#13 Posted : Sunday, March 17, 2013 12:47:16 PM(UTC)
Selena

Was thanked: 384 time(s) in 308 post(s)
PaperKrafter, I'm so sorry that this incident and the not-paid-for-cartridge/bounced-check incident happened to you. I would feel so vulnerable! I am always conscious of my purse when I'm out, but do admit that I get complacent about it and sometimes leave it in the buggy. Not anymore though! I'm so ticked for you but so glad that your phone minutes were returned to you. Hugs and prayers to you.
-Selena
PaperKrafter4Life Offline
#14 Posted : Sunday, March 17, 2013 1:25:54 PM(UTC)
PaperKrafter4Life

United States

Was thanked: 186 time(s) in 141 post(s)
thank you so much for all your kind words, as I told hubby I can't imagine what it would be like to be ROBBED.........this was minor compared to that but in the future I will not take a bag/ purse that does not have total closure and will carry it on my arm or over my shoulder. I did not abandon my purse in the cart so truly don't know how they got my credit card case and cell phone. The cell phone company NET 10 was awesome. I use it so much for WORK.

Edited by user Sunday, March 17, 2013 1:28:53 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Cricutgirlg Offline
#15 Posted : Sunday, March 17, 2013 1:38:45 PM(UTC)
Cricutgirlg

Was thanked: 425 time(s) in 302 post(s)
That's terrible my debit card info was stolen when I paid for parking last Fall and the machine was rig. I had to work with my police dept and bank to get things straightened out. I felt so violated, I hope things get better for you andI'm sorry this happened.
gcmcevoy Offline
#16 Posted : Sunday, March 17, 2013 6:12:08 PM(UTC)
gcmcevoy

United States

Was thanked: 702 time(s) in 607 post(s)
So Sorry to hear about this. Lucky you reported it so soon. Too bad they couldn't track them using your cell phone. Glad all your charges were reversed.
CricketCMV Offline
#17 Posted : Sunday, March 17, 2013 8:37:11 PM(UTC)
CricketCMV

Was thanked: 8027 time(s) in 4688 post(s)
I'm so sorry you're going through this, too.

I have a lot of arthritis.......so, I don't even try to carry a purse. I use a coin purse (I know, it sounds kind of mannish....but, I really love it). I always make sure any dress slacks I buy have deep pockets and/or I wear jeans that have tight, deep pockets. I carry my cell phone out of its case on one side and my little coin purse (has all my credit cards and driver's license and money in it) in the other pocket.

When my mom was in her last few years, I would carry her purse everywhere we went together...she had arthritis and it hurt her too much to carry it, so I carried it for her. I already had arthritis then, and I just grinned and bore it (is there such a word as beared..LOL)!! It was then I started using a small coin purse for myself because I couldn't carry mine and hers, too. I vowed, after I lost my mom and didn't need to carry her purse anymore, that I would never subject myself to a heavy purse. I do great without it. When I get ready to go anywhere, my hair is combed for the day and my makeup is what it is for the rest of the day. So, if it's windy, I start looked pretty scary!

I do feel safe when I'm out in the stores....!

Char
garagesaler Offline
#18 Posted : Sunday, March 17, 2013 9:43:49 PM(UTC)
garagesaler

United States

Was thanked: 2490 time(s) in 1991 post(s)
Wow, so sorry that happened to you.
Lady Bug S Offline
#19 Posted : Thursday, March 21, 2013 7:49:18 PM(UTC)
Lady Bug S

United States

Was thanked: 79 time(s) in 76 post(s)
So sorry that happen to you. I do not carry a purse. I put credit cards in one pocket and cell phone in the other.
MissAnn Offline
#20 Posted : Sunday, March 24, 2013 3:38:25 PM(UTC)
MissAnn

United States

Was thanked: 395 time(s) in 302 post(s)
Ladies, this is where we are! Please, do not put your pocketbook in your shopping cart. Thieves are watching and waiting! I wrote about this before. we had a band of thieves hitting our Walmarts. Be careful, be aware. We are sitting ducks. I keep my purse on my shoulder. Even if my husband is with me. I just don't take the chance! If I have too much stuff in my pocketbook, I take stuff out. Listen, my grandmom use to wrap her money in a handkerchief and pin it to her bra! if you think about it why do we need to bring a pocketbook into a store? We just need money or a credit card. What if it's pinned to the inside of our clothes!! Something to think about! I have stopped so many women who have stepped away from their carts with their purses wild openand wallets exposed and money! It's wild! Let 's get careful and smarter!