Flag
  • Sign In
  • 0 items
  • Search
Welcome Guest! Please login to enable all features.

Notification

Icon
Error

emma.pitre12aec7c43b Offline
#1 Posted : Tuesday, March 26, 2013 9:09:52 PM(UTC)
emma.pitre12aec7c43b

Groups: Registered

A friend asked me to cut some 23" letters to be used for a graduation decoration. I have never used the 24" mat until today. I found out after driving to every store within 50 miles that no one carries 24' paper anymore. I got some poster board and cut to size. (Thank goodness I only need 3 letters!) I can't get the machine to cut larger than 12 inches. I have the mat size set to 24. Paper size is also 24. I sit the size to 11.50 x 23.50. When I hit cut it only cuts 12 inch letters. What am I doing wrong. I can't find any instructions to help with this. Every time a see demo on tv they also show items from 1/4" to 23" and some. Can someone please help and tell me what I'm doing wrong? Thanks so much.
CowgirlUp Offline
#2 Posted : Tuesday, March 26, 2013 9:19:08 PM(UTC)
CowgirlUp

Medals: Cricut Circle Member: Member of the Cricut Circle

Groups: Circle Member, Registered
United States

Was thanked: 897 time(s) in 729 post(s)
Sounds like your using your machine as a stand alone (not using Craft room or any other program) hit the Portrait button, it changes the direction of the mat. I'm not sure how to do this on the E2. on the original E there is a button, by the display screen. Remember with the font you choose it still can't be over 11.5 wide.
GayleWheaton1 Offline
#3 Posted : Thursday, March 28, 2013 2:40:17 PM(UTC)
GayleWheaton1

United States

Was thanked: 65 time(s) in 41 post(s)
BigGrin Hi Emma! Let's see if I can help you...

If you have the 'keypad' Expression: press the 'Mat Size' button (straight row of buttons to the left of the keypad) - it'll then show an oblong mat w/ 24 written inside it; next, go up to the oval of buttons to the left of the keypad and press 'Portrait' - this will move your start position to the upper left side of your mat (allowing you to cut bigger than 11 1/2" in length.
If you have the E2: Press the wrench button [Settings]; then press the right arrow at the bottom of the next screen to get to 'Settings Screen #2; then press the top left Icon (it looks like a square grid with 2 double-sided arrows beside it); then on the pop-up press the vertical rectangle - this tells the E2 you are using a 24" mat.

FOR BOTH: the machine can only cut in the exact proportion that the letter is designed, so you'll have to find a narrow fontwhich will be less than 11 1/2" wide! You might try Plantin Schoolbook Tall Ball Font; Stampin' Up Narrow Font; Opposite's Attract Opposite Font; or Jubilee. (I know there a others, but these are the ones that spring to mind!
As for the paper, you can also buy large paper in the Fine Arts section of the craft stores (& it's also going to be acid free! If you don't want to risk cutting into a piece because you aren't sure if it'll be tall enough (or in my case, I'd want to make sure all 3 can be cut the exact same size!) on the 'keypad' Expression, use an 'Air Cut' - set the blade depth to 1 (almost nothing at all) and the Pressure also to a 1. Set the size dial to the largest and then press 'Cut' and just watch to see how long the letter will be (and make a note of it), and repeat for the other 2 letters. That way you haven't cut any paper at all, but if you discover 1 letter is a bit shorter then you can choose to have all of them cut at the same height!
And I do hope that one of your letters isn't a 'W'!!

If this didn't make sense, please PM me!! I've been teaching Cricut for about 6 years now & I love to help people learn to love their Bugs!!
Gayle
AuntieKLE Offline
#4 Posted : Tuesday, April 02, 2013 3:30:37 PM(UTC)
AuntieKLE

Was thanked: 176 time(s) in 134 post(s)
Also, if you have the Expression,
choose the letter you want and size then
you press "fit to page" then press OK
the expression will tell you what size it will cut.

HTH