Flag
  • Sign In
  • 0 items
  • Search
Welcome Guest! Please login to enable all features.

Notification

Icon
Error

candmforever138aa1be5 Offline
#1 Posted : Sunday, April 07, 2013 4:57:41 PM(UTC)
candmforever138aa1be5

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I've had my E2 for 3 days and I've only been able to get one or two small projects cut out. My paper is just tearing and messing up almost every time. I am so frustrated. I've watched a thousand tutorials,changed my blade settings, speed, depth, according to several charts and suggestions I've come across on other sites and I've just straight up guessed at the settings. Sometimes I get something nice cut, most times, I'm just wasting TONS of paper as I try over and over. My mat is brand new too. My paper is from Joanns or Michaels. Does my paper just stink, do I need a different brand, or ..what? This is miserable :(
BeckyW. Offline
#2 Posted : Monday, April 08, 2013 4:53:03 AM(UTC)
BeckyW.

Was thanked: 29 time(s) in 23 post(s)
It does sound like you are doing everything correct. Just be sure your blade is installed correctly and make sure nothing is caught in it. The pressure should probably be set on high and the speed different for each cut. I'm not sure what else to recommend. Good luck!!
barber.norma39f21195 Offline
#3 Posted : Monday, April 08, 2013 6:01:15 AM(UTC)
barber.norma39f21195

When I first started I had the same problem. I'm not that experienced yet but I have learned a few things the hard way! I found most of the time a med speed and a "2 bar" speed was good for light paper. Card stock I use slower speed and a 3 bar pressure. Heavy card stock slow spped and 3 bar pressure. I wasted so much paper till I figured out slower and lighter was better. Don't forget to use scraps to practice first before using the paper of choice for your project.One more thing, when you place your paper on your mat be sure to lightly press the paper down to secure it, paying close attention to the edges. If it tears from the starting point just move your cutting point to the left by one push on the left arrow on the "cut" button.
Hope I explained that ok.
Norma Smile
dorichatelain44314a80 Offline
#4 Posted : Monday, April 08, 2013 7:55:01 PM(UTC)
dorichatelain44314a80

Was thanked: 119 time(s) in 116 post(s)
Welcome to the wonderful world of CRICUT!. It is so much fun to learn everything to get the machine to cut the paper properly. I found that if I try to cut really thin paper my cricut just rips the heck out of it. but if I use the thin cardstock or the thick card stock it works great. the speed and the pressure it very important. I have found that if I rub the paper onto the mat really well and make sure that the paper is very secure then it will cut much better. and every 5 pieces of paper I put through the machine I take out the blade and blow can air through the blade holder. Sometimes fuzz from the paper gathers up in the blade holder and it will keep the blade from moving freely. I also have found that If I rotate the mat every other time I cut the mat lasts longer. I am using my 5th mat since the beginning of December 2012 and it is only the first part of April. I use my cricut so much that I am wearing them out fast. I am on my 2nd blade.

good luck and happy cutting
Dori
 1 user thanked dorichatelain44314a80 for this useful post.
chltgrl on 5/3/2013(UTC)
candmforever138aa1be5 Offline
#5 Posted : Monday, April 08, 2013 10:27:17 PM(UTC)
candmforever138aa1be5

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Thanks everyone. I actually think I might have had a bad mat because I went and bought a new mat today and am having a much better experience. In just 4 days my mat is completely not sticky at all. My daughter and I were able to accomplish some things this afternoon with the new mat.

Dori...so if it is tearing up thin paper (which I, too, had a problem with), how is it supposed to cut vellum or fabric? I will be so disappointed if the Cricut can't do these things. For the price, I expect it to be able to handle the things it promises. :( I guess I'll have to just try and get used to it and hope things smooth out.

I played all day on a friend's "Cricut Personal Cutter" (if I remember the name right?) at a crop we attended and it worked like a dream all day on a couple of different types/thicknesses of paper and I don't remember ever setting the blade or having an issue. Maybe that's the machine I should have bought LOL It was so easy and fun. I sure didn't expect such a frustrating learning curve with the E2. I hope I wake up tomorrow and it is still cutting nicely with this new mat.

scrapalette Offline
#6 Posted : Tuesday, April 09, 2013 5:58:00 AM(UTC)
scrapalette

Medals: Cricut Circle Member: Member of the Cricut Circle

Groups: Circle Member, Registered
United States

Was thanked: 19090 time(s) in 8530 post(s)
I know you stated you have tried different setting, but are you changing the settings on the screen or actually manually changing the blade depth? The E2 will give recommended settings, but it can't change the blade depth.

With that being said, I would recommend you try some test cuts with the various papers and see what settings actually work for your Cricut. I have an E that I always had to use high pressure and blade at 5 or 6 for card stock. When I started using CCR, I can get nice clean cuts with medium pressure and my blade at 4. I made a little chart of what settings worked best for each paper.

There are some charts from PC, which would be a good starting point for you.

1 user thanked scrapalette for this useful post.
chltgrl on 5/3/2013(UTC)
dorichatelain44314a80 Offline
#7 Posted : Tuesday, April 09, 2013 2:22:31 PM(UTC)
dorichatelain44314a80

Was thanked: 119 time(s) in 116 post(s)
Originally Posted by: candmforever138aa1be5 Go to Quoted Post
Dori...so if it is tearing up thin paper (which I, too, had a problem with), how is it supposed to cut vellum or fabric? I will be so disappointed if the Cricut can't do these things. For the price, I expect it to be able to handle the things it promises. :( I guess I'll have to just try and get used to it and hope things smooth out.

I am talking very thin paper like the notebook thin paper. The paper I was using was paper that I got 10 years ago for a gift and it is kinda glossy almost like it has a coating of some kind on it. I have tried to use it a few different times with various settings and nothing I do with it works. I have used other thinnish paper and it doesn't seem to have as many problems. I also found that the mat that came with the cricut wasn't as sticky as the mats I bought. I haven't tried velum but the vellum I have isn't as thin as the paper I was using. I haven't tried fabric either. but I am thinking that the stiffener used with the fabric with make the fabric thick enough to cut well. When I do cut fabric I plan on using a new mat and a new blade. I really want to try the vinyl as well as some chip board. I have been saving cereal boxes.

Good luck and happy cutting
Dori
Flo Offline
#8 Posted : Monday, April 22, 2013 6:27:05 AM(UTC)
Flo

Medals: Cricut Circle Member: Member of the Cricut Circle

Groups: Circle Member, Registered
Canada

Was thanked: 57 time(s) in 32 post(s)
Originally Posted by: dorichatelain44314a80 Go to Quoted Post
I am talking very thin paper like the notebook thin paper. The paper I was using was paper that I got 10 years ago for a gift and it is kinda glossy almost like it has a coating of some kind on it. I have tried to use it a few different times with various settings and nothing I do with it works. I have used other thinnish paper and it doesn't seem to have as many problems. I also found that the mat that came with the cricut wasn't as sticky as the mats I bought. I haven't tried velum but the vellum I have isn't as thin as the paper I was using. I haven't tried fabric either. but I am thinking that the stiffener used with the fabric with make the fabric thick enough to cut well. When I do cut fabric I plan on using a new mat and a new blade. I really want to try the vinyl as well as some chip board. I have been saving cereal boxes.

Good luck and happy cutting
Dori

I cut paper that goes through the computer and have cut very fine paper but I rarely have my blade depth higher than a 4 and that is on heavy card stock. I have cut fabric, sticky backed fabric paper, vellum and vinyl, card stock from light weight to very thick over 200lbs, plus anything else any one tells me the cricut can't cut just to see. The only thing I have had trouble cutting through is chip board that was round 1/8 inch thick and was a bit fluffy but it did cut it, it also cut shrink plastic and the plastic boxes the cartridges come in as well as the paper that goes round flowers and the gift wrap, there is also stencil material and stamp material that Cricut cuts. Having said this you need to use the right blade for some things like the deep cut blade and the multi cut. The cereal boxes cut really well and as you can cut the same thing several times they can be glued together to make them thicker. As for the mats; make sure you clean them with a scraper after you have done your cuts and when they look dirty if you scrub them down with a baby wipe you will regenerate the stick on the mat. Don't forget to rotate them and put their covers back on the right way up.
Happy Cricut carfting