Flag
  • Sign In
  • 0 items
  • Search
Welcome Guest! Please login to enable all features.

Notification

Icon
Error

ghiggason Offline
#1 Posted : Saturday, April 20, 2013 8:03:39 AM(UTC)
ghiggason

Groups: Registered

I was trying to figure out how to layer a project this morning and still don't know what to do. The blog that I was reading on said "Mat layers enabled (Options menu, Craft room tab) don't have this and don't know what it is. Could someone help. thanks Glenda
Sherri Kay Offline
#2 Posted : Saturday, April 20, 2013 8:08:44 AM(UTC)
Sherri Kay

United States

Was thanked: 2379 time(s) in 2132 post(s)
Are you wanting to add mat layers? Just click on the "+" at the top of the mat where the layers are shown.
Olivia'sNana Online
#3 Posted : Saturday, April 20, 2013 8:20:28 AM(UTC)
Olivia'sNana

Was thanked: 878 time(s) in 416 post(s)
what may be confusing is the blog that you are viewing may have been using an older version of ccr. The current version of ccr has an improved more user friendly way to do mat layers. just like sherri kay said, click on the + sign directly above the virtual mat left hand corner to add multiple mat layers.
You can click on the down arrow in each layer to change the layer name and view color. The green eyeball will show/hide the respective layer from view. You can switch around the order of your layers by clicking and grabbing a layer and sliding it to the left or right to reposition it.

If you are doing a cut with layers for instance an image with a shadow. You will want your bottom mat layer in the first position. This will allow you to move the image layers on top of each other and see how your image will look. This is especially great when you are welding a word and weld the shadow cut first and then you can place the base cut on mat layer 2 and align over the welded shadow to see how your base image needs to be welded. Clear as mud? play with it and let us know if you still have questions.

Oh and something else important to understand. When placing an image on a mat layer, that mat layer has to be the active one. If you click on the tab of the layers you will notice that one will be lighter gray and the rest darker gray. It is the lighter one that will be active. So if you place an image and then don't see it, it is because you placed it on a layer that is hidden or you if it is not on the layer you intended, it is because you don;t have that layer active.

Edited by user Saturday, April 20, 2013 8:25:35 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

1 user thanked Olivia'sNana for this useful post.
scrapinmom66 on 5/16/2013(UTC)
CricketCMV Offline
#4 Posted : Saturday, April 20, 2013 10:19:54 AM(UTC)
CricketCMV

Medals: Cricut Circle Member: Member of the Cricut Circle

Groups: Registered, Circle Member

Was thanked: 8003 time(s) in 4678 post(s)
Going along with what Olivia'sNana said........you can see what version of CCR you are on right now by going up to the HELP menu and clicking on ABOUT CRICUT CRAFT ROOM. If you're not on BUILD 183, you are not up-to-date with your updates.

What BUILD were you on when you tried to use MAT LAYERS? If it isn't BUILD 183, then what Olivia'sNana said would make perfect sense that the newer updates have a different way to add the mat layers?

On my screen, the active layer is when you click on the eye and it is bright green. The inactive layers, when they are turned off, go to grey. Don't know why these are different on our screens....but, just in case your eyes on your screen are green.

Char
Samomom Offline
#5 Posted : Friday, April 26, 2013 5:58:17 PM(UTC)
Samomom

Groups: Circle Member, Registered

Was thanked: 107 time(s) in 65 post(s)
Even after reading the very descriptive info on how to use layers and mats, I still can't get it to work right. It seems I can add all the mats in the world, change colors, etc, yet I can't get it to work so that I can place an image on the additional mats. I can make any one of them active, but I still have mat 1's image showing. What am I doing wrong??
Narelle Offline
#6 Posted : Friday, April 26, 2013 7:49:53 PM(UTC)
Narelle

Australia

Was thanked: 7813 time(s) in 3647 post(s)
Originally Posted by: MelissaHannant Go to Quoted Post
Even after reading the very descriptive info on how to use layers and mats, I still can't get it to work right. It seems I can add all the mats in the world, change colors, etc, yet I can't get it to work so that I can place an image on the additional mats. I can make any one of them active, but I still have mat 1's image showing. What am I doing wrong??

Each mat layer will have its own preview colour. To make sure you are placing your image on the correct layer make sure the tab is light grey. That indicates that that layer is the active one. Then place your image.

If you have images on several layers they should each appear as a different preview colour.

I'm pretty sure there is a video showing how to do this at Cricut.com. You'll find it by clicking on the Help menu in CCR.

Edited by user Friday, April 26, 2013 7:51:41 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

CricketCMV Offline
#7 Posted : Friday, April 26, 2013 8:03:05 PM(UTC)
CricketCMV

The eyes on the mat layers are grey or green. The ACTIVE mat layers have a GREEN eye. If you only want to work on one mat layer, click on any eyes that are GREEN, other than the mat layer you want to work with, to make them go grey.

Char

It is possible that they show up differently for users outside the U.S.A.; so, Narelle may be very well correct in her description above.

Edited by user Saturday, April 27, 2013 8:09:08 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

RosalieHolzman Offline
#8 Posted : Wednesday, May 29, 2013 10:42:06 AM(UTC)
RosalieHolzman

I have been trying to figure out how to add layers that are sized correct to each other. If you do it on the actual Expression they are automatically sized to fit, but in craft room they all come up in real size. Is there a setting that I am missing? It is really a pain
scrapalette Offline
#9 Posted : Wednesday, May 29, 2013 1:15:42 PM(UTC)
scrapalette

United States

Was thanked: 18934 time(s) in 8449 post(s)
Originally Posted by: RosalieHolzman Go to Quoted Post
I have been trying to figure out how to add layers that are sized correct to each other. If you do it on the actual Expression they are automatically sized to fit, but in craft room they all come up in real size. Is there a setting that I am missing? It is really a pain

Set the size you want in the Default Height box located under the keypad in CCR. And, make sure you have Relative Size {the "Aa" icon} selected. Then all your layers will be the right size when added to a mat.
 1 user thanked scrapalette for this useful post.
RosalieHolzman on 1/27/2014(UTC)
CricketCMV Offline
#10 Posted : Thursday, May 30, 2013 11:35:58 AM(UTC)
CricketCMV

If, after you place all the images on the mat, you want to RESIZE them, you will need to make sure you have all of the images you need to resize (in proportion to each other, using RELATIVE DIAL SIZE...like Scrapalette said....) selected so they will ALL resize together.

To do this (or, at least the way I do this) is to open all the mat layers that might have an image layer you want to resize on them. (On my computer, the mat layers are open when the cat's eye is GREEN...some say their cat's eye turns dark gray when it's active).

I turn on all the mat layers that have images on them I need to resize and then, when they are all showing on the screen in front of you, I go to the far upper left outside edge of the images and hold my left click down to drage the shade/shadow down to the far bottom right outside edge. When you release the left click, it will give you the box around all the images you are resizing. I do place them on top of each other and make sure I am looking at the main image to resize them. That allows you to resize everything making it possible to make it bigger than if you have them spread out on the mat layers...which makes them go outside some of the parameters you're wanting to work in. Sometimes you can't move those images that go too far past the edges of the actual mat.

Sorry if this is confusing....but hoping you'll get what I'm saying.

Char
 1 user thanked CricketCMV for this useful post.
RosalieHolzman on 1/27/2014(UTC)