Flag
  • Sign In
  • 0 items
  • Search
Welcome Guest! Please login to enable all features.

Notification

Icon
Error

5 Pages<1234>»
Jooniper Offline
#31 Posted : Monday, April 29, 2013 12:43:07 PM(UTC)
Jooniper

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 873 time(s) in 631 post(s)
Originally Posted by: southgirltexas Go to Quoted Post
Are we talking the "promise" from the Sweet Potato Queen's Book Of Love..if so ROFL~

Wink
Nan C. Offline
#32 Posted : Monday, April 29, 2013 1:15:53 PM(UTC)
Nan C.

Was thanked: 68 time(s) in 62 post(s)
Mama nay - thank you so much for your great suggestions. You girls ROCK! and I am so glad that I got all of your suggestions and comments. If you have more please bring them on. I am going to be working on him all this week and looking to get at least one cat over the weekend. Wink Wink
Jooniper Offline
#33 Posted : Monday, April 29, 2013 1:22:58 PM(UTC)
Jooniper

Was thanked: 873 time(s) in 631 post(s)
I have a total of 9 kitties. 6 of which are from one litter that were born almost 3 weeks ago. The litter was from a stray kitten my hubby and son rescued from a tree in our backyard. She's not even my cat, but my dog likes her and they are best buddies. The kitty loves my dog so much she let's him lay with her and her babies and let's my dog lick her babies clean. LOL It's cute!

My hubby informed his parents I might be keeping one of the pure white kittens. And told them to not be surprised if we have 4 kitties and a dog. LOL Guess my hubby is already looking forward to me making my "promise". LOL Flapper
 1 user thanked Jooniper for this useful post.
Nan C. on 4/29/2013(UTC)
Nan C. Offline
#34 Posted : Monday, April 29, 2013 1:31:14 PM(UTC)
Nan C.

You're the best, Jooniper. THE BEST!! LOL Yeah - he is pretty much going to give in with all of this advice and support. He has to. Smile Smile
 1 user thanked Nan C. for this useful post.
Jooniper on 4/29/2013(UTC)
jojoy Online
#35 Posted : Monday, April 29, 2013 1:47:06 PM(UTC)
jojoy

Medals: Cricut Circle Member: Member of the Cricut Circle

Groups: Registered, Circle Member
United States

Was thanked: 15738 time(s) in 4702 post(s)
Mama Nay had a good suggestion about stopping in a Petsmart, Petco, etc. After I had settled into my new place and decided I was ready to adopt a kitten, I was going to go on a Saturday morning to PAWS with my sister. She has (or had at the time) 2 cats. Friday night we were talking and she suggested that I might want to to to Petsmart to pick up the supplies so I could have them set up when I get me cat. I thought that was a good idea. I started looking at the various supplies, then I saw the kittens. I really was just looking when someone came out and invited me in. I told them what I was looking for. The first cat they brought just laid in my lap. She didn't try to get away....but just laid there. Then they brought out another one. He just snuggled up in my lap with his head in the crook of my arm (just like in the picture) and started purring very loudly. I asked if they could hold him overnight, and they did. When I went back he was cuddled up with another cat sleeping. Someone else was trying to get his attention. I wanted to say, He's mine, but I didn't. I just patiently waited.
 1 user thanked jojoy for this useful post.
Nan C. on 4/29/2013(UTC)
Nan C. Offline
#36 Posted : Monday, April 29, 2013 1:50:20 PM(UTC)
Nan C.

What a cute story Jo! I think I may give that a try if, um, when Mark says yes. LOL I love it! LOL LOL
chellabella Offline
#37 Posted : Monday, April 29, 2013 2:16:02 PM(UTC)
chellabella

Groups: Circle Member, Registered
United States

Was thanked: 173 time(s) in 137 post(s)
Bugsy was right about cats being smart!

My cats (especially the black & white one in my avatar) are like a 'man wearing a cat suit'. It's like there is a universal 'male' personality I see in men and boys (human) that I see in these animals. My little ladies have passed on, but they were truly little 'princesses in cat suits'. SO SMART!!!

They all have such HUGE personalities and it's fun to see them interact with oneanother. Cheap (comparatively) continual entertainment!Wub

~Angela

1 user thanked chellabella for this useful post.
Nan C. on 4/29/2013(UTC)
AuntieKLE Online
#38 Posted : Monday, April 29, 2013 2:31:15 PM(UTC)
AuntieKLE

Was thanked: 176 time(s) in 134 post(s)
Our cat was one of 2 strays that my DD just had to feed before Thanksgiving holidays. We left for the 4 day weekend and came home to find one of the cats still hanging around our house. She has been ours or should I say we have been hers ever since. That was 7 years ago!

She is a Tortie. She is the only cat I've ever been around that acts more like a dog. Most cats want to be petted and then left alone. But she insists on being patted up and down. And she rolls over to get the other side too. She will even beg for me to do this to her.

My MIL has dogs and I would get bit if I ever did this to one of her dogs. I have met a few people that have cats that act the same way.

I'm not trying to say that the cat you get may act like a dog too. But I find it fascinating that some do.

They all have their own personalities.

HTH
KimB Offline
#39 Posted : Monday, April 29, 2013 3:08:56 PM(UTC)
KimB

Was thanked: 36 time(s) in 27 post(s)
Please...

Edited by user Monday, April 29, 2013 3:12:21 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

KimB attached the following image(s):
Cat.jpg
 1 user thanked KimB for this useful post.
Nan C. on 4/29/2013(UTC)
Bugsy2 Offline
#40 Posted : Monday, April 29, 2013 3:47:46 PM(UTC)
Bugsy2

Was thanked: 500 time(s) in 355 post(s)
Originally Posted by: KimB Go to Quoted Post
Please...

Please Mommy? Please may I keep the mouse? I promise not to eat him.Wink

1 user thanked Bugsy2 for this useful post.
Nan C. on 4/29/2013(UTC)
ladybugstamper Offline
#41 Posted : Monday, April 29, 2013 3:53:32 PM(UTC)
ladybugstamper

Was thanked: 496 time(s) in 253 post(s)
Hi!
To counter the argument about clawing and chewing, do what we do. Get two kittens, at the same time. They are adorable, and take out all their chewing on each other.

At one time we had 4 kittens (from the same litter), they would come out of the corners of the living room and attack each other. It was more entertaining than TV. One only lived to 6 months, he had kidney failure, but the other 3 are happy and run the house. They're 10 years old now and boss our son's around. Our sons are over 6' tall and their cat can runs them, it's adorable.

I vote for 2 kittens (rescued of course)
 1 user thanked ladybugstamper for this useful post.
Nan C. on 4/29/2013(UTC)
AmyThomas3 Offline
#42 Posted : Monday, April 29, 2013 4:21:02 PM(UTC)
AmyThomas3

Was thanked: 10 time(s) in 9 post(s)
I took my family to "just look" at the kittens at the spca and of course we all fell in love and came home with one! We've had him for a year now and I can't imagine him not being there with us. Why not take him on the weekend to "just look"!
 1 user thanked AmyThomas3 for this useful post.
Nan C. on 4/29/2013(UTC)
Nan C. Offline
#43 Posted : Monday, April 29, 2013 4:48:30 PM(UTC)
Nan C.

Thank you SO MUCH, girls. Your input has been so good for me and I have a lot more ammunition to throw at him. I need to get all of this responses together and get them into my head so that it sounds like it is my idea. If he says "No" I'll just have him come in here to explain himself and you girls can work him over. OK? LOL LOL
Larmabee Offline
#44 Posted : Monday, April 29, 2013 7:18:45 PM(UTC)
Larmabee

Canada

Was thanked: 371 time(s) in 290 post(s)
You could always "threaten" him , in a cat suit of course!
Good luck with your soon to be family addition. Let us know what you call him/her
 1 user thanked Larmabee for this useful post.
Nan C. on 4/30/2013(UTC)
Nan C. Offline
#45 Posted : Tuesday, April 30, 2013 3:04:42 AM(UTC)
Nan C.

Originally Posted by: Larmabee Go to Quoted Post
You could always "threaten" him , in a cat suit of course!
Good luck with your soon to be family addition. Let us know what you call him/her

Thanks, Laura. You're always good for a laugh! I will let you know. BigGrin
Bugsy2 Offline
#46 Posted : Tuesday, April 30, 2013 3:40:06 AM(UTC)
Bugsy2

Originally Posted by: Nan C. Go to Quoted Post
Thanks, Laura. You're always good for a laugh! I will let you know. BigGrin

Maybe Mark will surprise you. My hubby did. I whined and whined for a couple of weeks that I really wanted a cat. He seemed unreceptive to the idea. One Saturday he was looking through the classified ads in the paper. "Call this number and see if they have any kittens left." He said. I called the number and there was one kitten left. "We'll take him." My husband said. I was shocked. I was more shocked to learn that hubby had a litter pan and bag of kitty litter in the trunk of his car that he'd been lugging around for two weeks...ever since I first said that I wanted a cat!BigGrin

Edited by user Tuesday, April 30, 2013 3:40:50 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Nan C. on 4/30/2013(UTC)
Nan C. Offline
#47 Posted : Tuesday, April 30, 2013 5:21:06 AM(UTC)
Nan C.

Originally Posted by: Bugsy2 Go to Quoted Post
Maybe Mark will surprise you. My hubby did. I whined and whined for a couple of weeks that I really wanted a cat. He seemed unreceptive to the idea. One Saturday he was looking through the classified ads in the paper. "Call this number and see if they have any kittens left." He said. I called the number and there was one kitten left. "We'll take him." My husband said. I was shocked. I was more shocked to learn that hubby had a litter pan and bag of kitty litter in the trunk of his car that he'd been lugging around for two weeks...ever since I first said that I wanted a cat!BigGrin

Bugsy - I wouldn't put it by him, but I can't be too subtle about what I want. He can be thick at times. lol And then he may surprise me...with a dog. It wouldn't be the most awful thing in the world, but...I want to hear some purring.
Mark Offline
#48 Posted : Tuesday, April 30, 2013 6:14:33 AM(UTC)
Mark

Was thanked: 38 time(s) in 23 post(s)
oh isn't this lovely?

it looks like Nan is getting quite the bit of advice about getting a cat. lol
IrishDancer Offline
#49 Posted : Tuesday, April 30, 2013 7:31:27 AM(UTC)
IrishDancer

Ireland

Was thanked: 552 time(s) in 273 post(s)
Although I'm deathly allergic to kitties, I love them just the same... So for me it's puppies! Gotta have them....Must have them....Had at least two most of my life. Currently it's two rescued chihuahuas. Wub

Any way, I digress... My suggestion is kitties/puppies are an inexpensive (ususally Wink ) form of therapy! Pets tend to make people happy and petting them can be a lovely relaxation technique (after a stressful day at work? Wink). Smile
 1 user thanked IrishDancer for this useful post.
Nan C. on 4/30/2013(UTC)
sportykidsbug Offline
#50 Posted : Tuesday, April 30, 2013 7:32:46 AM(UTC)
sportykidsbug

Was thanked: 63 time(s) in 51 post(s)
I enjoy dogs, but I've always been a cat person. My husband, not so much. But after being together for more than 20 years, I think he's definitely come around!

If your husband's biggest concern about cats/kittens is that they're too independent/aloof "un-doglike" etc. just remind him that cats have different personalities just as people do. You just have to find your correct match (maybe there should be a match.com for pet ownership lol!).

The first kitten I adopted from the Humane Society was a terrific tuxedo. He was sweet and gentle but definitely did not enjoying being the center of attention. He preferred to be in the background at all times and would come to us when he wanted affection or food.

Our second kitten came from my hairdresser at the time. Our kitten was a gorgeous long haired orange and white Norwegian forest cat. He loved, no craved!, attention. He was always around our legs, in our laps, greeting us at the door. He had the personality of a golden retriever, and my mother-in-law, who freely admitted that she despised cats, loved him desperately. He couldn't change her opinion of all cats, but she did change her opinion to love him.

We had lost our beloved second cat at the ripe old age of 21. About a month later the kids and I knew we needed another kitten so we called a local rescue group and found our adorable girl. She and her litter mates lived in a foster home with cats and dogs and even though she was only 10 weeks old when we adopted her, she definitely learned something from those dogs. Our sweet little girl loves to play fetch! It is absolutely hilarious to watch her and we often run out of gas playing fetch with her before she does. This little girl is super high energy - as most young cats/kittens are, but she is far more energetic than our boys ever were.

So...anyway, I didn't mean to turn this into a piece about my cats, but rather to let your husband know that there are definitely options in personality and energy level. Just ask and meet some cats and kittens at local shelters or the Humane Society.

My personal preference is to go the route of a shelter (our rescue group works out of the local Petco - a very good experience for us all around). The rescue and/or foster parents know the personalities of the cats and get help you make the best selection.

Lots of luck!

1 user thanked sportykidsbug for this useful post.
Nan C. on 4/30/2013(UTC)
Bugsy2 Offline
#51 Posted : Tuesday, April 30, 2013 7:47:02 AM(UTC)
Bugsy2

There is another thing you must remember before you adopt a kitten or puppy... Dogs have owners whereas Cats have staff!!!LOL
Nan C. on 4/30/2013(UTC)
jojoy Online
#52 Posted : Tuesday, April 30, 2013 8:09:52 AM(UTC)
jojoy

United States

Originally Posted by: Bugsy2 Go to Quoted Post
There is another thing you must remember before you adopt a kitten or puppy... Dogs have owners whereas Cats have staff!!!LOL

I learned that quite early on! I read somewhere, your cat does not live in your house, you live in HIS house......how true!

As sportykidsbug said, they all have such different personalities. It is true, it is on their terms. If you pick him up and he does not want to be petted, he will jump out of my lap right away. However, when he wants some affection he will come and lay in my lap, his head on my arm and lay there for a long time. He will demand that I pet him under his neck. He really is so cute and loveable. I never thought I would own a cat. A couple of my sisters got cats many years ago. After awhile, I really wanted one. I'm so glad I took the plunge! BigGrin
Nan C. on 4/30/2013(UTC)
Nan C. Offline
#53 Posted : Tuesday, April 30, 2013 8:38:27 AM(UTC)
Nan C.

See, Markie, the girls and I have it all figured out! I think a little kitty cat is in our future don't you? Maybe 2?? Smile Wub
GypsyRoe Offline
#54 Posted : Tuesday, April 30, 2013 8:43:01 AM(UTC)
GypsyRoe

United States

Was thanked: 3196 time(s) in 1367 post(s)
My 20 year old son just rescued two cats from Paws and Claws! Last year we had to put our cats to sleep, they were old and could hardly move. He had 2 cats since he was 2 years old, so now he has his own house so he got 2 more catsBigGrin

My son’s new cats are my grand-kitties, I love them so much! They’re so cute!

jojoy Online
#55 Posted : Tuesday, April 30, 2013 8:45:51 AM(UTC)
jojoy

United States

Originally Posted by: GypsyRose Go to Quoted Post
My 20 year old son just rescued two cats from Paws and Claws! Last year we had to put our cats to sleep, they were old and could hardly move. He had 2 cats since he was 2 years old, so now he has his own house so he got 2 more catsBigGrin

My son’s new cats are my grand-kitties, I love them so much! They’re so cute!

Awwwww......how can Mark refuse all these cute pics that are posted? Every time I open the refrigerator, my little guy is right there. He'll even wait after I take something out, for me to put it back.

Edited by user Tuesday, April 30, 2013 8:50:34 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

jojoy attached the following image(s):
Lucky-refrigerator.jpg
 2 users thanked jojoy for this useful post.
GypsyRoe on 4/30/2013(UTC), Nan C. on 4/30/2013(UTC)
Bugsy2 Offline
#56 Posted : Tuesday, April 30, 2013 8:49:30 AM(UTC)
Bugsy2

GypsyRose they are adorable!!!!!!!!!!! I'm in love!!!Wub

Having to put our 14 year old cat to sleep last year (on his birthday) was devastating. My 11 year son still hasn't forgiven me...or our vet.Sad
 2 users thanked Bugsy2 for this useful post.
GypsyRoe on 4/30/2013(UTC), Nan C. on 4/30/2013(UTC)
GypsyRoe Offline
#57 Posted : Tuesday, April 30, 2013 9:06:56 AM(UTC)
GypsyRoe

United States

Was thanked: 3196 time(s) in 1367 post(s)
JoJoy, your cat is too cute!

I just found this picture from where my son adopted his cats from...lol!

Edited by user Tuesday, April 30, 2013 9:10:55 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

2 users thanked GypsyRoe for this useful post.
jojoy on 4/30/2013(UTC), Nan C. on 4/30/2013(UTC)
jojoy Online
#58 Posted : Tuesday, April 30, 2013 9:13:05 AM(UTC)
jojoy

United States

Originally Posted by: GypsyRose Go to Quoted Post
JoJoy, your cat is too cute!

I just found this picture from where my son adopted his cats from...lol!

GypsyRose,

Yours are just adorable! Where did he adopt his form? That is a great picture! Aren't they all just so cute! How could you (or Mark) resist????Unsure Unsure Unsure Unsure

I keep waiting for my little guy to jump IN the refrigerator one day. LOL

JoJoy

Edited by user Tuesday, April 30, 2013 9:14:18 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Nan C. on 4/30/2013(UTC)
Nan C. Offline
#59 Posted : Tuesday, April 30, 2013 9:16:45 AM(UTC)
Nan C.

Too Too Too Too sweet girls. I think that he's going to crack really soon! We're just flooding him with cute cat pictures and, let's just say, he doesn't stand a chance against all of us at once! BigGrin BigGrin LOL LOL

Oh, and BTW Markie, it will be 2 girl cats so that you can three of us bossing you around all day. Wink Wink Tongue

Edited by user Tuesday, April 30, 2013 9:18:52 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Mark Offline
#60 Posted : Tuesday, April 30, 2013 9:35:18 AM(UTC)
Mark

Was thanked: 38 time(s) in 23 post(s)
oh this is all I need - Nan getting help from her girls on the board.

you girls just about trashed all of my arguments for not getting a cat.

this kind of pressure should not be legal!