Flag
  • Sign In
  • 0 items
  • Search
Welcome Guest! Please login to enable all features.

Notification

Icon
Error

springvalleyfarmsks60fb5232 Offline
#1 Posted : Wednesday, May 08, 2013 12:52:39 PM(UTC)
springvalleyfarmsks60fb5232

Groups: Registered

Hi, I am using vinyl on my personal cricut to cut letters. Is there a way to get the vinyl off the mat so it so the backing stays on the letters? So I can lay out my project& move stuff without issues of them sticking. Some of them the backing comes off when I take them off the mat. The mats are new, is that the issue perhaps?

Thanks! BigGrin
Julie
Olivia'sNana Offline
#2 Posted : Wednesday, May 08, 2013 1:46:42 PM(UTC)
Olivia'sNana

Was thanked: 863 time(s) in 407 post(s)
The way I handle vinyl is first you want to only "kiss cut".This is where the cricut only cuts the vinyl but not all the way through the backing. For my expression machine the settings that I generally use is presure medium and blade depth 4. I use ccr so the speed is controlled by the software not the machine. If you don't use gypsy or ccr, probably a speed of medium would work.
Try on scrap and see if it cuts just through the vinyl and adjust if necessary. Then I use transfer tape to move the cut image to my project. But first I will weed all of the unwanted scrap vinyl from around the image/letters with my fingernails or tweezers to where I am only left with the image on the backing paper. then place my transfer paper onto the image and burnish to make sure good contact, then peel the whole project from the mat. Then peel the backing from the image before placing on my project. I layout my design in ccr exactly how i want it to transfer to my project so the transfer paper works great. If you don't do this or don't have transfer paper, then just peel each image from the backing and place individually on your project as you are ready.

as for the mat stickyness, new mats are extremely sticky and can ruin a project if you don't condition them first. This is done my patting the mat gently with the palm of your hands or laying a clean cotton cloth/tshirt on mat and peeling away. This will lighten the tacky so your project will come off easier.

If this is all clear as mud let me know and I will try to show examples or clarify
 1 user thanked Olivia'sNana for this useful post.
springvalleyfarmsks60fb5232 on 5/9/2013(UTC)
springvalleyfarmsks60fb5232 Offline
#3 Posted : Thursday, May 09, 2013 6:52:04 PM(UTC)
springvalleyfarmsks60fb5232

Thanks I appreciate your ideas! :)