Flag
  • Sign In
  • 0 items
  • Search
Welcome Guest! Please login to enable all features.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages<12
Selena Offline
#31 Posted : Tuesday, May 14, 2013 1:40:19 PM(UTC)
Selena

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 384 time(s) in 308 post(s)
Originally Posted by: jscraftylady Go to Quoted Post
I have cut all the sigils (of my favorite houses). I used them with my Yudu to make tote bags. My husband couldn't find a Greyjoy sigil online he really liked so he made his own in Illustrator and I cut it in heat transfer flocking and put it on a hoodie for him. My favorite project so far is my t-shirt with two mod looking crows cut with my other machine with "dark wings, dark words." I hope I don't run into George R.R. Martin or anyone from HBO.

Are you a book reader or a show watcher or both? I don't judge.

I am both a watcher and a reader. BigGrin
LoriSjogren Offline
#32 Posted : Tuesday, May 14, 2013 2:07:23 PM(UTC)
LoriSjogren

Medals: Cricut Circle Member: Member of the Cricut Circle

Groups: Circle Member, Registered
United States

Was thanked: 2689 time(s) in 1589 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Selena Go to Quoted Post
I am both a watcher and a reader. BigGrin

Darn it! Reading this thread and now I got the book to see what the hoopla is all about. I had avoided it until now... LOL Well, at least, it looks like I am in for a good read. Smile
 1 user thanked LoriSjogren for this useful post.
Selena on 5/14/2013(UTC)
sewnmachine Offline
#33 Posted : Tuesday, May 14, 2013 3:02:06 PM(UTC)
sewnmachine

Was thanked: 372 time(s) in 252 post(s)
Originally Posted by: DBCMC Go to Quoted Post
Not 100% sure about this, but someone told me that you can back out the updates and then it will work.

Prior to all the updating I did on all my machines that might have worked. But for some reason now I think PC has embedded some kind of code in their their updates that won't allow it - no way - no how. And I'm such a punk I'm afraid to try it. What I think I'm going to do is watch for a black friday sale on "the other machine" and then go for it.

sewnmachine Offline
#34 Posted : Tuesday, May 14, 2013 3:03:23 PM(UTC)
sewnmachine

Was thanked: 372 time(s) in 252 post(s)
Originally Posted by: LoriSjogren Go to Quoted Post
Darn it! Reading this thread and now I got the book to see what the hoopla is all about. I had avoided it until now... LOL Well, at least, it looks like I am in for a good read. Smile

If you're a fan of that genre (and I am big time) you will be hooked for all 5 books!

Leahdax Offline
#35 Posted : Wednesday, May 15, 2013 3:03:51 PM(UTC)
Leahdax

Groups: Registered, Circle Member
United States

Was thanked: 354 time(s) in 253 post(s)
Originally Posted by: sewnmachine Go to Quoted Post
I'm not griping about this necessarily, but I always feel bad for a new poster that has just bought a new Cricut and needs help importing images or cut files.

I can almost feel the horrible realization that comes over them when they discover - no you can't design your own images unless you own the cartridge, or - no you can't download cut files from the internet, or - no you can't cut (or print) fonts from your computer. etc....etc....

Is there some kind of misleading advertising on the boxes that lead people to believe the Cricut has all of these capabilities? Or are there some videos that espouse the notion that you can create your own designs, but omit the fact that you must own the cartridge (physical or digital) to do this??

And every single time, after realizing that the Cricut can't do what they expected, the machine is returned. And we can all guess which machine they are going to buy that WILL do what they want.

This confusion probably results in yet another nay-sayer that will have nothing good to say about Cricut because - - - - - they didn't do their homework or - - - - they feel they were duped.

Why is this happening?

There is a website called TopTenReviews that does a review on electronic die cutting machines. Their 2013 review is full of misinformation, including a statement that you can create your own images with the Cricut Mini. With this kind of stuff coming from seemingly reputable sources, it's no wonder people are getting the wrong idea about what Cricuts can do. I sent them an email complaining about the inaccuracies. It probably won't do any good, tho.

Here's a link to their full review for anyone who's interested.

Die Cutting Machines Review

monianne Offline
#36 Posted : Wednesday, May 15, 2013 8:15:38 PM(UTC)
monianne

Was thanked: 77 time(s) in 48 post(s)
Quote:
It's still copyright infringement. That's another big misconception out there. . .if you don't profit from it, it's OK. But it's not.

Could you please post your legal source and the online link to support this statement. Thank you in advance.
scrapalette Offline
#37 Posted : Thursday, May 16, 2013 4:27:12 AM(UTC)
scrapalette

United States

Was thanked: 19163 time(s) in 8570 post(s)
Originally Posted by: monianne Go to Quoted Post
Could you please post your legal source and the online link to support this statement. Thank you in advance.

Sure. It's on the website for the US Copyright Office. Here's their website:

http://www.copyright.gov/

There's a lot to read but in a nutshell, the definitions page gives this info:

What is copyright infringement?
As a general matter, copyright infringement occurs when a copyrighted work is reproduced, distributed, performed, publicly displayed, or made into a derivative work without the permission of the copyright owner.

And on the FAQ page is the info that states making a profit changes copyright infringement from a civil issue to a criminal one:

Somebody infringed my copyright. What can I do?
A party may seek to protect his or her copyrights against unauthorized use by filing a civil lawsuit in federal district court. If you believe that your copyright has been infringed, consult an attorney. In cases of willful infringement for profit, the U.S. Attorney may initiate a criminal investigation.

There's also info on there about what you can use under the "fair use doctrine" and how damages are calculated.

I have also had several discussions with an attorney because there are several in my family. One had given me a website that explained the copyright laws in layman's terms but I can find it right now. I'll ask my daughter to send it to me when she gets to the office.

Edited by user Thursday, May 16, 2013 4:32:41 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

1 user thanked scrapalette for this useful post.
monianne on 5/16/2013(UTC)
monianne Offline
#38 Posted : Thursday, May 16, 2013 11:40:10 AM(UTC)
monianne

Thank you for the link scrapalette.....now off to do a little reading up on the subject.
monianne Offline
#39 Posted : Thursday, May 16, 2013 1:43:40 PM(UTC)
monianne

Scrapalette, I went though and read quite a bit(which is boring and mind numbing..lol) and haven't been able to find anything directly relating to personal use of an image found online(I'm not saying it isn't there, just that I haven't been able to locate the info. as of yet)It all seems to deal with commercial/public use. If you (or anyone else knows) where the EXACT info is located I would be interested in reading it. I need to take a break from going though the site for nowBigGrin
scrapalette Offline
#40 Posted : Thursday, May 16, 2013 2:08:56 PM(UTC)
scrapalette

United States

Was thanked: 19163 time(s) in 8570 post(s)
The copyright laws are quite cumbersome and not an easy read by any means. I don't think you will find the verbiage you are looking for though.

The definition of copyright infringement states "without the permission of the copyright owner" and there are no stipulations for personal use. Personal use appears to be a civil offense where commercial use {making a profit} makes it a criminal offense.

"Made into a derivative work" includes changing the format of the copyrighted work, in this case, making a copyrighted image into a cutting file which changes the format.

I still try to get the other, much easier to read/understand website from my daughter. Or, you might be able to find one just using google.

Edited by user Thursday, May 16, 2013 2:10:03 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

MaryStillman Offline
#41 Posted : Saturday, May 18, 2013 9:48:21 AM(UTC)
MaryStillman

Was thanked: 1258 time(s) in 797 post(s)
The copyright laws are cumbersome.

If I weld 3 circles together to form a Mickey head, am I breaking the copyright law? Or, if I use an image from a cart I don't own as a template and create the same shape by welding shapes together, am I breaking the copyright law.

Even if I use these for my own personal use and not sell?

Quite a few years ago, Gary Larson did a Far Side cartoon of a painting of the Mona Lisa, but with a cow as the Mona Lisa. Is this breaking the copyright laws?

I think it is confusing, but I wonder if there is also something in the law that allows you to creatively turn it into your own creation. Technology is filled with devices that were made better by someone that creatively saw a new and better way to make something.

Anyway, it is confusing.

Mary
scrapbooking_grandma2 Offline
#42 Posted : Sunday, May 19, 2013 4:47:52 AM(UTC)
scrapbooking_grandma2

Was thanked: 17 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Here is an article that explains it in an understandable way.

Article
 1 user thanked scrapbooking_grandma2 for this useful post.
Di&Co on 5/19/2013(UTC)