Flag
  • Sign In
  • 0 items
  • Search
Welcome Guest! Please login to enable all features.

Notification

Icon
Error

DouglasGourlay Offline
#1 Posted : Wednesday, September 29, 2010 8:08:52 PM(UTC)
DouglasGourlay

Groups: Registered

Hi folks,
I've purchased a Cricut Expression from Walmart a couple months ago while I was travelling in the USA at a medical conference. Only today did we open it up to give it a try (babysitting our 8 and 10 yo neices).
When I set it up, all 'seems' to work except the size is stuck on 2". The size wheel moves fairly easily but no change in the size. I have a fear, based on what I've read on the net, that this is an encoder problem.

My question basically is 1) is it likely that I'll be able to get this repaired under warranty, givent that this problem seems to be related to damage related to end user accident (not me, but it 'seems' that the unit sold from walmart might have been returned item) or 2) is it repairable by myself?

Any advice on 1 or 2 would be appreciated. If someone has disassembled the Expression, I would appreciate any documentation that might have been generated.

Thanks
Doug
Skrappindiva Offline
#2 Posted : Wednesday, September 29, 2010 8:15:03 PM(UTC)
Skrappindiva

Was thanked: 103 time(s) in 83 post(s)
Call Provo Craft!!!! They may be able to help you over the phone. You may be on hold for a bit, but it is better to hold than to void your warranty. If you attempt to fix it yourself or "open" the machine you may do more damage.
DouglasGourlay Offline
#3 Posted : Wednesday, September 29, 2010 8:30:52 PM(UTC)
DouglasGourlay

Skrappindiva wrote:
Call Provo Craft!!!! They may be able to help you over the phone. You may be on hold for a bit, but it is better to hold than to void your warranty. If you attempt to fix it yourself or "open" the machine you may do more damage.

Thanks for the reply.
I have not heard much positive feedback about them honoring warranty claims.
for the cost, I would void the warranty to try and quickly solve the problem.
I purchased one of the smaller Cricut Personals and disassembled it for a CNC application. Works fine but the Expression is a different beast.
Someone has taken theirs apart so I hope that they have some photos
Doug
DouglasGourlay Offline
#4 Posted : Wednesday, September 29, 2010 10:26:10 PM(UTC)
DouglasGourlay

Hey folks,
Just had a thought. Although the dial for SIZE doesn't seem to work on my Expression, does this become irrelevant when using the design software ie either the Cricut version or Sure Cuts A Lot V2?

I haven't opened the software pack up yet from Michaels (cost was $129 CAD) until I find out the answer to this question.

Any advice? Will the computer software overcome the problem?
WOuld be nice to be able to cut some vinyl for our neices! :)

Thanks
Doug
Scraprageous Offline
#5 Posted : Thursday, September 30, 2010 6:26:50 AM(UTC)
Scraprageous

United States

Was thanked: 140 time(s) in 137 post(s)
I haven't had a machine stay at same size - even if it takes some time, I would call Provo craft. If you keep on an issue, their cs has come through for me, though it did take three calls. Not excellent, but they were able to eventually help me get things fixed.

As far as sizes with Design studio (I haven't used the others) - you can download a free trial version http://www.cricut.com/cds/and try it out before purchasing full blown. It only cuts one cartridge, but it should be enough for you to give it a try and see if it fixes your issue.
BuggyMcBuggy Offline
#6 Posted : Friday, October 01, 2010 8:19:30 PM(UTC)
BuggyMcBuggy

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Design Studio settings overide the size dial on the machines. And I would take the Design Studio software back to Michaels - you can get it much less expensive online - even with shipping to Canada! If you are in Ontario and close to the NY border, you could pop over here and pick it up for half that (around the Niagara Penninsula there is a JoAnn's/Michael's, Hobby Lobby, Walmart and ACMoore within 30 minutes of any of the bridges - Ft. Erie, Queenston or Niagara Falls)

DouglasGourlay wrote:
Hey folks,
Just had a thought. Although the dial for SIZE doesn't seem to work on my Expression, does this become irrelevant when using the design software ie either the Cricut version or Sure Cuts A Lot V2?

I haven't opened the software pack up yet from Michaels (cost was $129 CAD) until I find out the answer to this question.

Any advice? Will the computer software overcome the problem?
WOuld be nice to be able to cut some vinyl for our neices! :)

Thanks
Doug

gcmcevoy Offline
#7 Posted : Friday, October 01, 2010 9:35:55 PM(UTC)
gcmcevoy

United States

Was thanked: 702 time(s) in 607 post(s)
You may want to look on the OLD message board and search for resetting your machine. There is a way to do it but I don't know exactly how. There is a button behind the cutting carriage you press and then turn all the dials up and down a number of times. The old post has the directions.
I also if you use any non Provo Craft software you void the Warranty.
cosmos Offline
#8 Posted : Monday, October 04, 2010 11:10:46 AM(UTC)
cosmos

Was thanked: 37 time(s) in 22 post(s)
I would definately call PC, I have to tell you that every time that I have ever called them they have been GREAT. Certain days they seem to be busier than others but I gotta tell ya they have always been fabulous.

Even when I posted a problem on the forum someone like the Wonderful Darin, Mercy or Becky have been able to help. Try it and see. HTH

I love PC customer service they ROCK!!!!