Flag
  • Sign In
  • 0 items
  • Search
Welcome Guest! Please login to enable all features.

Notification

Icon
Error

LAURA_CHUBBY_MD148df7c88 Offline
#1 Posted : Sunday, May 12, 2013 9:38:03 PM(UTC)
LAURA_CHUBBY_MD148df7c88

Groups: Registered

I AM TRYING TO FIND SOME VINYL FOR CHEAP. I JUST GOT MY CRICUT AND I AM IN AWE HOW MUCH IT ALL COSTS. I CAN DEAL WITH IT BUT IS THERE ANYWHERE I CAN GET CHEAP VINYL FOR, MAYBE IN MULTIPLE COLORS INSTEAD OF A WHOLE ROLL OF PINK,ETC?

AND HAVE ANY OF YOU USED CONTACT PAPER INSTEAD OF VINYL AND IF SO, HOW ARE YOU ADHERING IT TO THE WALL, GLASS,ETC?

THANKS AND SORRY IM A NEWBIE! Laugh
AuntieKLE Online
#2 Posted : Sunday, May 12, 2013 10:49:11 PM(UTC)
AuntieKLE

Was thanked: 148 time(s) in 113 post(s)
I copied this from the MB a few years ago.

HTH

Kut N Print http://www.cricut.com/me...eboard/tm.aspx?m=4665652

-Do not be afraid. Vinyl cutting is easier than just about anything else because Cricut machines are derived from vinyl cutters.

- watch this little video. It is so much easier to show than to tell.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGrnkFRTDPo
Covers "kiss-cutting" (cutting through vinyl not backing) and transfer tape, the 2 biggst tips and concepts people have trouble understanding.

-The big question that comes up daily is where to buy and that depends on the colors, quantities, and type you want and where you live. One thing is certain, Cricut vinyl is the most expensive way to go.

-Cricut vinyl is Oracal 631

-Many sign shops will give their scraps (plenty large enough for Cricut cutting) to crafters for free.

-You can cut just about any kind of vinyl including contact paper (adhesive shelf liner), Wall Pops (a brand of white vinyl with printed colors and patterns on one side), Quikkutz vinyl, heat transfer vinyl, etc.

-Do not use sign/vehicle vinyl on walls unless you want to repaint

-you can layer sign/vehicle vinyl on wall-safe vinyl to use it on walls

-You will see settings given and videos that show different machines set at blade depth of anywhere from 2 to 6 (other settings medium) kiss-cutting vinyl. Start with settings at 3-3-3 and adjust from there to see what works for your machine.

-Use a brayer or credit card to make sure the vinyl is securely stuck to the mat all over, tape the edges if needed.

-Contact paper, painters tape, press n seal or drywall mesh can be used as transfer tape, depending on the size and complexity of your design.

-if your transfer tape is too sticky, "rought it up" by sticking it to a clean t-shirt of bedspread a few times first.

-transfer tape can be re-used

-there are a ton of vinyl videos on the master list of Cricut-related video tutorials.
http://www.diigo.com/use...icupediatv/vinyl?tab=250
Be aware that not all of them show best practices so watch several on the same topic if possible.

-white vinyl shows up best on car windows

-you don't have to seal vinyl projects as vinyl (a type of plastic) is what other projects are often sealed with. If you are going to spray your project, do it before you apply vinyl as the aerosol can break down the vinyl's adhesive along the edges and cause it to come loose.

-if you are going to apply a design to the inside of a car window or back of glass be sure to mirror image your design. On the Cricut machine and in DS(?) and SCAL you have to type your letters in reverse order AND use the flip command. Remember that the back side of Wall Pops is white. Heat transfer designs have to be mirrored also.

-on challenging installations, use the wet technique (see videos and online instructions)

-vinyl is awesome on cards

-You can cut usually more intricate designs in vinyl than with paper or card stock, but there are still limits. Lettering in vinyl is going to be limited to a minimum of 1/2 to 1 inch depending on your machine, blade and font chosen. Keep this in mind as you design. If the characters of a font are too thin, use the shadow feature to bulk them up.

Use contact paper too! I use it on tiles, wooden signs, cards - anything that is kept inside. Even on my wall! It's cheaper too. If you live in small town USA, you may even be able to buy it by the yard from your local hardware store - I do and it's only 1.34 per yard. I can usually only get black...but it's my favorite color to use anyways.

Great tips here! I use lots of contact paper also. I use it when making t-shirts cuz I have better luck with it when dealing with transferring the little pieces to the shirt. I too use it everywhere, expect I can mostly find white in my small town. I also use it as a stencil when painting styrofoam tiles, works wonders.

SPEED-3
PRESSURE--3
BLADE-5
Does not cut through and then I peel off the vinyl leaving the design or words and then transfer it --hope this helps.

speed 3 pressure 2 and blade 2

5 bars same for pressure and speed
lowest setting =1 bar - Min
2 bars= Low
3 bars = Med
4 bars = High
Highest setting 5 bars = Max

1 user thanked AuntieKLE for this useful post.
TLAkines on 6/25/2013(UTC)
LAURA_CHUBBY_MD148df7c88 Offline
#3 Posted : Sunday, May 12, 2013 11:19:50 PM(UTC)
LAURA_CHUBBY_MD148df7c88

OMG THANK YOU SO MUCH! VERY USEFUL!!!!!!!!
deleted Offline
#4 Posted : Monday, May 13, 2013 4:59:21 AM(UTC)
deleted

Was thanked: 76 time(s) in 54 post(s)
Expressions Vinyl is a great company to order vinyl from.

Craft Vinyl is also another one - but that site does not accept PayPal

There are several others also.

Contact paper can work fine - but it may be too sticky for walls. When you want to remove it, you could damage your walls.

I like Clear transfer tape (I get mine on eBay) you can reuse it many times, and if you are layering - the clear really helps you line things up.

d1inhou08b1acca Offline
#5 Posted : Monday, May 13, 2013 6:09:26 AM(UTC)
d1inhou08b1acca

I am a newbie but wanted to share. I am using my cricut to make the templates to do etching on the mason jars that we are using as favors for our wedding. I am using contact paper purchased at the dollar store and Big Lots. Cutting to mat size when ready to cut. Great part of the contact paper is that it is re-positionable a bit it you need to realign.