Flag
  • Sign In
  • 0 items
  • Search
Welcome Guest! Please login to enable all features.

Notification

Icon
Error

15 Pages«<34567>»
JeanP Offline
#121 Posted : Tuesday, July 02, 2013 5:27:19 PM(UTC)
JeanP

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 968 time(s) in 780 post(s)
Adding this to Kelley's tip for todayBigGrin

I also see wooden ruler pieces, measuring tape pieces and mini light bulbs in the craft stores!!!!
You can get these at the hardware stores much cheaper.
Same with nuts, bolts & washers.
Paint chips make great matching die cuts

Hardware stores are not just for men anymoreBigGrin

I also see lots of game pieces at the craft stores.
Checkers, tiles, dominoes. Check out yard sales for these items.
I picked up a monopoly game, tiles with numbers and a game with some small wooden blocks with words on them. Not sure what the game was but I only paid $2 for them all!!!!

Edited by user Tuesday, July 02, 2013 5:31:35 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

3 users thanked JeanP for this useful post.
maria2193 on 7/2/2013(UTC), LoriSjogren on 7/2/2013(UTC), lauraa on 7/3/2013(UTC)
lauraa Offline
#122 Posted : Wednesday, July 03, 2013 6:46:38 AM(UTC)
lauraa

Was thanked: 233 time(s) in 196 post(s)
I have a few tips today.

1. use the mesh that fruit comes in( Apples, oranges etc) as a stencil.

2. The Scribblers 3D fabric paint dries to a nice texture, comes in many colors, and is super cheap.

3. Look for an industrial scrap and supply store in your area and you will find all kinds of wacky treasures. Perfect for robots too!

4. Come over to my mom's garage. It's filled to the brim with dad's crap, u-hum I mean great stuff to use for crafting. I'll be getting a GIANT ring of old keys soon, if anyone wants some let me know. Pictures posted soon. Maybe there could be another altered key swap in the future?

Happy 4th of July ladies! I'll be out of touch for a few days so have a great weekend!
LAura
 2 users thanked lauraa for this useful post.
maria2193 on 7/3/2013(UTC), JeanP on 7/3/2013(UTC)
KelleyRooks Offline
#123 Posted : Wednesday, July 03, 2013 7:43:18 AM(UTC)
KelleyRooks

Was thanked: 529 time(s) in 432 post(s)
Jean and Lauraa Great tips!!!!!!!!!!Love Love Love Everyone keep them coming. This is awesome.Wub
JeanP Offline
#124 Posted : Wednesday, July 03, 2013 10:36:36 AM(UTC)
JeanP

United States

Originally Posted by: lauraa Go to Quoted Post

I'll be getting a GIANT ring of old keys soon

I had a ring of the old type in my kitchen draw forever. I threw them away about 5 years ago when I cleaned out all my drawersBlushing
Now, before I throw something away, I look at it differentlyBigGrin

Kazalah Offline
#125 Posted : Wednesday, July 03, 2013 2:39:12 PM(UTC)
Kazalah

Medals: Cricut Circle Member: Member of the Cricut Circle

Groups: Circle Member, Registered
United States

Was thanked: 718 time(s) in 284 post(s)
lauraa,

Lucky you! When I was little we had a dining cabinet in the dinning room that has skeleton keys to unlock the drawers. I used to play with them ( and get yelled at for it because they could never find them to open the drawers Smile ) If you're sharing your keys I'd love to have a few .

Lori

P.S. Possible crafting tip ( I used this for nail polish ) I got tired of trying to get the excess nail polish off my fingers an toes without ruining my paint job... so I found if you put Vaseline on the areas you don't want paint to stick.. it won't . When you're done you can just wipe it off!BigGrin
KelleyRooks Offline
#126 Posted : Wednesday, July 03, 2013 2:52:28 PM(UTC)
KelleyRooks

Originally Posted by: Kazalah Go to Quoted Post
lauraa,

Lucky you! When I was little we had a dining cabinet in the dinning room that has skeleton keys to unlock the drawers. I used to play with them ( and get yelled at for it because they could never find them to open the drawers Smile ) If you're sharing your keys I'd love to have a few .

Lori

P.S. Possible crafting tip ( I used this for nail polish ) I got tired of trying to get the excess nail polish off my fingers an toes without ruining my paint job... so I found if you put Vaseline on the areas you don't want paint to stick.. it won't . When you're done you can just wipe it off!BigGrin

Acetone based nail polish remover is awesome in removing acrylic paint from unwanted areas. (This comes in handy when painting tight areas....Kim I learned this painting your light houseLOL )
Kazalah Offline
#127 Posted : Wednesday, July 03, 2013 4:38:55 PM(UTC)
Kazalah

United States

Originally Posted by: KelleyRooks Go to Quoted Post
Acetone based nail polish remover is awesome in removing acrylic paint from unwanted areas. (This comes in handy when painting tight areas....Kim I learned this painting your light houseLOL )

Kelley,

I learned that when I was younger and my little brother took my Barbie Corvette and tried to paint it with nail polish! It started out metallic pink and wound up looking like something rainbow bright would drive!Cursing

Lori
CoyoteKim Offline
#128 Posted : Wednesday, July 03, 2013 4:55:57 PM(UTC)
CoyoteKim

Was thanked: 121 time(s) in 111 post(s)
Jean- You stole one of my tips!! I was just playing at the hardware store yesterday. Lowes has drawers with the nuts, screws and bolts that are labeled "Hard to find" and they have some great stuff in them! Like opening a treasure chest!

One of my favorite "finishing" techniques is using embossing powder along the edges of papers, ATCs, or die cuts (the skies the limit!). It's like finishing the edges with ink but kicked up a notch! It can be the fine or chunky powders. I just run the edge of the paper on my versa ink pad and the dip the paper in the powder and melt with a heat gun. You can even rub the versa marker ink pad along the flat surface the make the embossed edge thicker. Before heating it you can rub some of the powder off if you want it thinner or not a straight line.

Hope that makes sense! I'll post a couple of pictures of the junk journal covers to show the finished look. BigGrin
CoyoteKim attached the following image(s):
journal.jpg
journal1.jpg
JeanP Offline
#129 Posted : Wednesday, July 03, 2013 4:57:38 PM(UTC)
JeanP

United States

Kelley,

I learned that when I was younger and my little brother took my Barbie Corvette and tried to paint it with nail polish! It started out metallic pink and wound up looking like something rainbow bright would drive!Cursing

Lori

I think I still have my DD Barbie Corvette in my atticBigGrin

JeanP Offline
#130 Posted : Wednesday, July 03, 2013 4:59:54 PM(UTC)
JeanP

United States

Originally Posted by: CoyoteKim Go to Quoted Post
Jean- You stole one of my tips!! I was just playing at the hardware store yesterday. Lowes has drawers with the nuts, screws and bolts that are labeled "Hard to find" and they have some great stuff in them! Like opening a treasure chest!

One of my favorite "finishing" techniques is using embossing powder along the edges of papers, ATCs, or die cuts (the skies the limit!). It's like finishing the edges with ink but kicked up a notch! It can be the fine or chunky powders. I just run the edge of the paper on my versa ink pad and the dip the paper in the powder and melt with a heat gun. You can even rub the versa marker ink pad along the flat surface the make the embossed edge thicker. Before heating it you can rub some of the powder off if you want it thinner or not a straight line.

Hope that makes sense! I'll post a couple of pictures of the junk journal covers to show the finished look. BigGrin

Just started doing this, Kim. Love the chunky EPBigGrin Like adding textures also.

Kelley has brought me over to the dark sideLOL LOL LOL

Edited by user Wednesday, July 03, 2013 5:15:36 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Kazalah Offline
#131 Posted : Wednesday, July 03, 2013 5:08:15 PM(UTC)
Kazalah

United States

Jean,

I'm sure your DD's barbie corvette is in better condition than mine wound up being Laugh I have a question... I don't emboss a lot because whenever I do the paper curls up from the heat . Any tips on how not to have that happen?

Lori

P.S. Jean you've brought me over to the "grunge side" with that altered canvas you made me! I've been embossing my metal tape with my TH folders LOL
JeanP Offline
#132 Posted : Wednesday, July 03, 2013 5:14:55 PM(UTC)
JeanP

United States

Jean,

I'm sure your DD's barbie corvette is in better condition than mine wound up being Laugh I have a question... I don't emboss a lot because whenever I do the paper curls up from the heat . Any tips on how not to have that happen?

I sometimes us a pencil(eraser end)to hold down my paper.

Lori

P.S. Jean you've brought me over to the "grunge side" with that altered canvas you made me! I've been embossing my metal tape with my TH folders LOL

LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL
planlady19 Offline
#133 Posted : Wednesday, July 03, 2013 7:11:40 PM(UTC)
planlady19

United States

Was thanked: 284 time(s) in 266 post(s)
Quote:
Kelley has brought me over to the dark side

I warned you.... LOL LOL LOL

I have only starting embossing since Gwen made it a requirement in one of the last swaps and I have found that I use my cricut tool to help hold the paper.

and I can't emboss on lightweight paper.. always mess i up...LOL LOL have to use heavier paper or cardstock..

terri
DeniseE Offline
#134 Posted : Wednesday, July 03, 2013 8:00:57 PM(UTC)
DeniseE

United States

Was thanked: 341 time(s) in 308 post(s)
Started both of these today. They are moving along great.

Denise
JeanP Offline
#135 Posted : Thursday, July 04, 2013 6:23:13 AM(UTC)
JeanP

United States

I finished my domino book last night and it came out FANASTIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

can't you tell that I am very happy with how it turned out.LOL LOL

I have to thank Kelley, my wonderful teacher.

With her help, I think I may have mastered grungeBigGrin BigGrin and of course spent money on chunky embossing powders, paints and Inka GoldBigGrin BigGrin

Now to do the project for Terri. Who knows what I will come up with for that one nowLaugh Laugh

Edited by user Thursday, July 04, 2013 6:26:06 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

KelleyRooks Offline
#136 Posted : Thursday, July 04, 2013 8:43:35 AM(UTC)
KelleyRooks

Originally Posted by: JeanP Go to Quoted Post
I finished my domino book last night and it came out FANASTIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

can't you tell that I am very happy with how it turned out.LOL LOL

I have to thank Kelley, my wonderful teacher.

With her help, I think I may have mastered grungeBigGrin BigGrin and of course spent money on chunky embossing powders, paints and Inka GoldBigGrin BigGrin

Now to do the project for Terri. Who knows what I will come up with for that one nowLaugh Laugh

Your partner is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO lucky. I want that domino book. This is definitely a case where the student has surpassed the master. Now who is going to be the next victim....um I mean student.... to come over to the dark side????LOL LOL LOL LOL

KelleyRooks Offline
#137 Posted : Thursday, July 04, 2013 8:51:36 AM(UTC)
KelleyRooks

Tip of the day:

Cheese cloth..... wonderfully versatile. You can incorporate it into so many styles such as shabby chic, vintage, grunge, steampunk, etc. It can be left white or dyed. It can be used in holiday decor such as fall,halloween, christmas, etc. It can be layered, die cut, used on canvases, bottles, and other alterables to provide additional texture. It can be used as a subtle layer to soften an image.

Time to get playing an experimenting.BigGrin

1 user thanked KelleyRooks for this useful post.
maria2193 on 7/5/2013(UTC)
ksqueenb Offline
#138 Posted : Thursday, July 04, 2013 8:52:27 AM(UTC)
ksqueenb

Groups: Registered, Circle Member
United States

Was thanked: 408 time(s) in 242 post(s)
[quote=Kazalah;1729931]Jean,

I have a question... I don't emboss a lot because whenever I do the paper curls up from the heat . Any tips on how not to have that happen?

Lori
quote]

Try letting your heat gun warm up before you start and then try keeping about 3" above the paper. Vellum and light weight papers are the worst. Each embossing heat gun has it's own characteristics. Just play for awhile until you get the feel.
KelleyRooks Offline
#139 Posted : Thursday, July 04, 2013 9:53:10 AM(UTC)
KelleyRooks

Originally Posted by: CoyoteKim Go to Quoted Post

Love that technique... also love your use of the punchinella on the covers
ksqueenb Offline
#140 Posted : Thursday, July 04, 2013 11:20:50 AM(UTC)
ksqueenb

Groups: Registered, Circle Member
United States

Was thanked: 408 time(s) in 242 post(s)
Tip of the day:

Cheese cloth..... wonderfully versatile. You can incorporate it into so many styles such as shabby chic, vintage, grunge, steampunk, etc. It can be left white or dyed. It can be used in holiday decor such as fall,halloween, christmas, etc. It can be layered, die cut, used on canvases, bottles, and other alterables to provide additional texture. It can be used as a subtle layer to soften an image.

Thank your Kelley, You just helped me with another swap I was struggling withLove
JeanP Offline
#141 Posted : Thursday, July 04, 2013 12:38:22 PM(UTC)
JeanP

United States

Tip of the day:

Originally Posted by: ksqueenb Go to Quoted Post
Thank your Kelley, You just helped me with another swap I was struggling withLove

Have anything to do with apples/vintageLOL LOL LOL LOL

Scrap2Do Offline
#142 Posted : Thursday, July 04, 2013 7:36:25 PM(UTC)
Scrap2Do

Was thanked: 69 time(s) in 57 post(s)
JCI and loving all of the tips! PM sent to my partner.
KelleyRooks Offline
#143 Posted : Friday, July 05, 2013 9:13:20 AM(UTC)
KelleyRooks

Tip of the Day:

Ink Sprays are AWESOME. I remember when I first started on this board. I didn't have any. Then I started with one and then I had three. Lol I thought that is all I would ever use. I have close to 200 now and somehow it is not enough. LOL Sprays are actually versatile.

Here are just a few ideas on how you can use them:

Direct to paper
With various techniques such as salt - course and fine (really cool textures and outcome)
Use with masks, stencils, templates, etc.
Take the lid off the bottle and paint with it.
Take the lid off the bottle and splatter the ink for a different look.
Use it to cover an entire item such as paint.
Use to change the colors of paints - I change the shades of the paint I do have with the sprays to create a custom color
Tint mediums such as gesso or modeling paste
Use on a variety of materials wood, chipboard, papermache, fabric, art journals, canvas, metal (some), etc.
can use to make backgrounds, change the look of items, so many uses
you can sponge on as well for a total different look.
Not all sprays are the same and some work better than others for certain tasks - here are the ones I have and my opinions:

Heidi Swap sprays: Super vibrant color, tons of shimmer, thicker than most sprays. Love these. They absorb quickly so if you like the tip and drip look on mixed media...it isn't great for that, but it works so well with other uses...I just splatter it if I want a different look.

Lindy's Stamp Gang: Probably, in my opinion, the best overall sprays in the market place. Wonderful colors, tons of variety, great cost factor, tip and drip (yay). They have different types of sprays - with and without mica, dual tones, etc. They developed a no clog sprayer so if you have some of the other sprayers - they will replace for free)

Dylusions: Very vibrant, no shimmer, great color saturation, tip and drip. Do love them, but they are bright - turquoise is flat out gorgeous.

Mr. Hueys: These are vibrant, no shimmer. They are an okay mist. However, their white is a must have. WOW this color is terrific. Goes on white and stays white even if you spray over other colors (as long as they are dry)

Tattered Angels: These are okay, I have tons and use them. They were my first sprays. Do not like as much as the others....however there are a few that are uber exceptional. The coffee shop brown, the pearl (that just gives shimmer and no color - is to die for), and the peach delight. The peach delight when sprayed on chipboard gives the illusion that it is metal and it looks copper. If you use their copper spray - not as great coverage and it has a pink undertone but is still a good spray.
 3 users thanked KelleyRooks for this useful post.
maria2193 on 7/5/2013(UTC), JeanP on 7/5/2013(UTC), Bev091754 on 3/31/2014(UTC)
CraftyOldBat Offline
#144 Posted : Friday, July 05, 2013 2:03:59 PM(UTC)
CraftyOldBat

United States
Location: Massachusetts MQ Pg 9 Post # 247 Swap Questionnaire Pg 1 Post #8

Was thanked: 414 time(s) in 344 post(s)

Lindy's Stamp Gang: Probably, in my opinion, the best overall sprays in the market place. Wonderful colors, tons of variety, great cost factor, tip and drip (yay). They have different types of sprays - with and without mica, dual tones, etc. They developed a no clog sprayer so if you have some of the other sprayers - they will replace for free)

To overcompensate for a horrendous week & holiday, I spent far too much at the sale yesterday using the rationalization that it was a good sale...Blushing OhMyGod. I hope they'll let me bring my craft supplies with me to the poor house!

JeanP Offline
#145 Posted : Friday, July 05, 2013 2:17:02 PM(UTC)
JeanP

United States

Originally Posted by: CraftyOldBat Go to Quoted Post
To overcompensate for a horrendous week & holiday, I spent far too much at the sale yesterday using the rationalization that it was a good sale...Blushing OhMyGod. I hope they'll let me bring my craft supplies with me to the poor house!

Shopping always makes me feel betterBigGrin BigGrin

planlady19 Offline
#146 Posted : Friday, July 05, 2013 8:17:50 PM(UTC)
planlady19

United States

Was thanked: 284 time(s) in 266 post(s)
Originally Posted by: CraftyOldBat Go to Quoted Post

Then we can be roommates because I went to the lss to get a roll of score tape and $ 50 later I left with more paper.. (don't tell Kelley I got more g45 that she wants) and ordered more things.. ugh I have to stay away but she also showed me an e mail she got today from g45 and the new Christmas line is the 12 Days of Christmas so I am in so much trouble and it is not even here..

just a warning for all the g45 lovers.. they are supposed to start giving sneak peaks on July 8th.

Terri
CraftyOldBat Offline
#147 Posted : Friday, July 05, 2013 8:43:33 PM(UTC)
CraftyOldBat

United States
Location: Massachusetts MQ Pg 9 Post # 247 Swap Questionnaire Pg 1 Post #8

Was thanked: 414 time(s) in 344 post(s)
SUMMER CHA

Oh yeah I'm afraid, very afraid...
KelleyRooks Offline
#148 Posted : Saturday, July 06, 2013 10:50:41 AM(UTC)
KelleyRooks

Tip of the day:

rub n buff, viva decor inca gold, etc. Not only are they great for altering items they are great for adding accents.take a little on your finger and rub on the edge of a card or tag, add just a little to highight the texture of an item (such as the top of an item that had molding paste. Examples: I had heat embossed the edges of a tag with chunky embossing powder in black then I edgedthe tag in places with the viva decor.It made it really pop. I also had used some punchinella with modeling paste to create some interest. Inked then added a little rub-n-buff.
 3 users thanked KelleyRooks for this useful post.
JeanP on 7/6/2013(UTC), LoriSjogren on 7/6/2013(UTC), Bev091754 on 3/31/2014(UTC)
LoriSjogren Offline
#149 Posted : Saturday, July 06, 2013 2:06:33 PM(UTC)
LoriSjogren

United States

Was thanked: 2630 time(s) in 1556 post(s)
Great tips, ladies! You can use reinkers to tint gesso. Instead of buying a bunch of acrylics, you can do that and won't get stuck with paint you only needed for one project.
 2 users thanked LoriSjogren for this useful post.
JeanP on 7/6/2013(UTC), KelleyRooks on 7/6/2013(UTC)
MOgoggingirl Offline
#150 Posted : Saturday, July 06, 2013 8:33:42 PM(UTC)
MOgoggingirl

United States

Was thanked: 444 time(s) in 387 post(s)
Been working furiously on Jeanene's item. Hope she likes it! Scared Smile

I'm still having a minor block on how to put it together, but it will all come together in the end.Tongue