Flag
  • Sign In
  • 0 items
  • Search
Welcome Guest! Please login to enable all features.

Notification

Icon
Error

AmandaVacek Offline
#1 Posted : Thursday, September 30, 2010 9:47:19 AM(UTC)
AmandaVacek

Groups: Registered

So I got my cricut for Mother's Day last year, and have just now been able to open it and use it...I am so excited! At first we didn't have the space, then in the midst of making the space we got a new house and everything had to be packed up and moved. Now we are mostly settled and I used my cricut for the first time the other day! My question is about the mat you put your paper on. Mine seems to be waaaay sticky. I was able to get the first thing I cut out off, but when I repositioned the paper to do another on yesterday, the cut was fine but when I went to take it off the main paper just tore and now I cant get it off. So I'm not sure if this is just a case of it sitting there for a year, or what. I went and bought another package of 2 mats, but don't want to have to open them if I don't need to. Any thoughts or help would be greatly appreciated.

Oh, also, when I was buying the mats there were the 12x12 and then 12x24, why would you need a 12x24.
gcmcevoy Offline
#2 Posted : Thursday, September 30, 2010 1:54:02 PM(UTC)
gcmcevoy

United States

Was thanked: 702 time(s) in 607 post(s)
You should season your mats before you first use them. You can do this several ways.1 is to put your hands all over your mat a few times then take a scrap piece of paper and put it on and off several times to take the extra sticky off. Other people use a soft T shirt and pounce it all over the mat . There are videos on You tube and you can search the old board for this topic.

You would use a 24 x 12 mat if you wanted to cut something big like vinyl words for the walls and the like.
 1 user thanked gcmcevoy for this useful post.
beetlebugmart on 10/1/2010(UTC)
KarenB Offline
#3 Posted : Thursday, September 30, 2010 1:56:28 PM(UTC)
KarenB

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Some of the mats are extremely sticky when new, its just one of those things. It does get better with use - in fact they can get very "unsticky" after a while. You can scrape the bits off that are stuck to your mat or I have heard of people using a clean t-shirt and dabbing the mat with that to remove some of the stickiness. Try using the mat you have and cutting with that one for a while and see if it gets better. You may want to do some test cuts and get to know your machine with some paper you don't care about and see if it gets better.

Good luck!

Karen
 1 user thanked KarenB for this useful post.
beetlebugmart on 10/1/2010(UTC)
Cdmom2004 Offline
#4 Posted : Monday, October 04, 2010 11:16:51 AM(UTC)
Cdmom2004

Was thanked: 76 time(s) in 26 post(s)
Also, you will find that cardstock works better than paper, especially on a really sticky mat. You can buy a spatula and other tools that will help you ease cuts off the mat... I always have to use a tool to get intricate cuts off, to keep them from tearing.