Flag
  • Sign In
  • 0 items
  • Search
Welcome Guest! Please login to enable all features.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Bad Kitty Offline
#1 Posted : Wednesday, June 26, 2013 8:21:17 PM(UTC)
Bad Kitty

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 28 time(s) in 15 post(s)
Finally got my June's Cricut magazine today, a little late for grads and for Father's Day but ok I finally got it. I made the mistake of reading the back of the sheet of paper with my address &. Starting next month the magazine will only be digital. They have lost me as a customer!!! I shop, pay bills, bank, read books, did things online for work and do a lot of other things online but I hate, really hate reading magazines online. I was a charter member but when it was time to renew, nothing received to let me know it was time to renew. Family stuff going on and I didn't realize it was due, so I said the heck with it as they didn't care enough to sent me at least one notice. Slap one in the face and now slap two. I don't want to lug my laptop around every time I want to read outside, curl up in a chair, you get the idea. I don't want to be hooked up to the internet every time I want to look at something and I'm not going to waste paper to print it out either. If I need laundry soap to wash a load of clothes, a picture of laundry soap is just not going to get my clothes clean, same thing with a digital magazine. I understand the it will be cheaper for them but I will be going without it now. Angry Mad
 7 users thanked Bad Kitty for this useful post.
rhondah* on 6/27/2013(UTC), BJR on 6/27/2013(UTC), lv2scrap02 on 6/27/2013(UTC), jenny dennis on 6/27/2013(UTC), Annabella on 6/27/2013(UTC), scrap_hag on 6/29/2013(UTC), maria2193 on 7/5/2013(UTC)
Dragonfly50 Offline
#2 Posted : Wednesday, June 26, 2013 8:25:20 PM(UTC)
Dragonfly50

United States

Was thanked: 1221 time(s) in 728 post(s)
I am sorry!
I totally understand. It is just not the same online.

D~
 2 users thanked Dragonfly50 for this useful post.
Bad Kitty on 6/27/2013(UTC), Annabella on 6/27/2013(UTC)
Calmom Offline
#3 Posted : Wednesday, June 26, 2013 8:29:36 PM(UTC)
Calmom

Medals: Cricut Circle Member: Member of the Cricut Circle

Groups: Registered, Circle Member

Was thanked: 2095 time(s) in 1069 post(s)
I so agree. I received my Creating Keepsakes Magazine for this month and it was about 1/5 of the size it usually is. I looked inside and in the middle of this so called magazine, it instructs me to go online and download the rest of this months issue. They too have decided to go digital, no notice at all.

I will ONLY purchase magazine subscriptions that I can physically hold and read. The subscription costs the same and the Company has decreased their cost significantly. Corporate Greed, Sick Of It!!!!!

This may be the future of Magazines, everything is all about COMPUTERS, YUCK! YUCK! YUCK!
 3 users thanked Calmom for this useful post.
Bad Kitty on 6/27/2013(UTC), Annabella on 6/27/2013(UTC), scrap_hag on 6/29/2013(UTC)
Olivia'sNana Offline
#4 Posted : Thursday, June 27, 2013 3:26:18 AM(UTC)
Olivia'sNana

Was thanked: 927 time(s) in 457 post(s)
I am so dissappointed as well. I couldn't figure out why I hadn't rec'd June issue so I called, they gave me the scoop and I told them I would not be renewing and asked if I would be getting a refund for the remaining issues. They said no they are giving digital of ALL their publications for free for the remaining subscriptions. I won't even bother to look because I get no enjoyment looking at them online and won't print out. I feel the same as you. I want a magazine I can hold. I am also a charter member. Finally did get the hard copy of June and was expecting it to be 4th of July themed not events that have alread passed. I new something was up because when I was in Hobby Lobby, they had none of their magazines on the racks. I so enjoyed this magazine because it was full of projects and not advertisements. I don't subscribe to any other publication because I feel I am only subscribing to a book of ads
 3 users thanked Olivia'sNana for this useful post.
Bad Kitty on 6/27/2013(UTC), Annabella on 6/27/2013(UTC), scrap_hag on 6/29/2013(UTC)
krafty kate Offline
#5 Posted : Thursday, June 27, 2013 3:40:06 AM(UTC)
krafty kate

Was thanked: 74 time(s) in 57 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Bad Kitty Go to Quoted Post
Finally got my June's Cricut magazine today, a little late for grads and for Father's Day but ok I finally got it. I made the mistake of reading the back of the sheet of paper with my address &. Starting next month the magazine will only be digital. They have lost me as a customer!!! I shop, pay bills, bank, read books, did things online for work and do a lot of other things online but I hate, really hate reading magazines online. I was a charter member but when it was time to renew, nothing received to let me know it was time to renew. Family stuff going on and I didn't realize it was due, so I said the heck with it as they didn't care enough to sent me at least one notice. Slap one in the face and now slap two. I don't want to lug my laptop around every time I want to read outside, curl up in a chair, you get the idea. I don't want to be hooked up to the internet every time I want to look at something and I'm not going to waste paper to print it out either. If I need laundry soap to wash a load of clothes, a picture of laundry soap is just not going to get my clothes clean, same thing with a digital magazine. I understand the it will be cheaper for them but I will be going without it now. Angry Mad

Couldn't agree more with this statement-HAVING to read digitally is no fun, it takes that certain something out of the relaxation process that holding real paper has.
 4 users thanked krafty kate for this useful post.
Bad Kitty on 6/27/2013(UTC), rhondah* on 6/27/2013(UTC), Annabella on 6/27/2013(UTC), scrap_hag on 6/29/2013(UTC)
PedalPower! Offline
#6 Posted : Thursday, June 27, 2013 4:19:18 AM(UTC)
PedalPower!

Was thanked: 62 time(s) in 26 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Calmom Go to Quoted Post
I so agree. I received my Creating Keepsakes Magazine for this month and it was about 1/5 of the size it usually is. I looked inside and in the middle of this so called magazine, it instructs me to go online and download the rest of this months issue. They too have decided to go digital, no notice at all.

I will ONLY purchase magazine subscriptions that I can physically hold and read. The subscription costs the same and the Company has decreased their cost significantly. Corporate Greed, Sick Of It!!!!!

This may be the future of Magazines, everything is all about COMPUTERS, YUCK! YUCK! YUCK!

The exact same thing happened with my edition of Paper Crafts this month. I was not a happy camper. I'm happy to spend 99% of my life online, but a magazine just isn't something I want to be connected electronically to. I will not be renewing. I find it ironic that a magazine with the word PAPER in it....well.....isn't going to be made of paper much longer if the trend continues. Gah!
 6 users thanked PedalPower! for this useful post.
Bad Kitty on 6/27/2013(UTC), rhondah* on 6/27/2013(UTC), BJR on 6/27/2013(UTC), Annabella on 6/27/2013(UTC), mlharrell on 6/29/2013(UTC), scrap_hag on 6/29/2013(UTC)
Bad Kitty Offline
#7 Posted : Thursday, June 27, 2013 6:51:29 AM(UTC)
Bad Kitty

Was thanked: 28 time(s) in 15 post(s)
BigGrin Thanks everyone. Glad I'm not just the only one that is not happy with this change. They had several other magazines that I wanted but didn't get around to ordering them. So glad now I didn't. How many times we have seen a magazine at the newsstand/craft store and bought it. They are going to lose out on new customers now. And what seeing a new products you see in them and then buy it. Another loss all around for everyone.
 3 users thanked Bad Kitty for this useful post.
rhondah* on 6/27/2013(UTC), Annabella on 6/27/2013(UTC), scrap_hag on 6/29/2013(UTC)
rhondah* Offline
#8 Posted : Thursday, June 27, 2013 6:54:59 AM(UTC)
rhondah*

Groups: Circle Member, Registered
United States

Was thanked: 15778 time(s) in 9116 post(s)
I agree that it stinks! Seems as if they are all going digital or cutting the number of pages.Cursing Mad Mad
 1 user thanked rhondah* for this useful post.
Annabella on 6/27/2013(UTC)
GrammyCris Offline
#9 Posted : Thursday, June 27, 2013 7:38:18 AM(UTC)
GrammyCris

Was thanked: 1155 time(s) in 540 post(s)
I just called customer service for the magazine and was told there were no plans to discontinue the printed issue, they were just making digital available to anyone who subscribed. I asked if she was sure on that and she did a double check with her supervisor and said the magazine was continuing in print.

I wonder what the real story is? If in fact it goes digital only I will discontinue my subscription as well.
 1 user thanked GrammyCris for this useful post.
jenny dennis on 6/27/2013(UTC)
Olivia'sNana Offline
#10 Posted : Thursday, June 27, 2013 8:09:51 AM(UTC)
Olivia'sNana

Was thanked: 927 time(s) in 457 post(s)
Originally Posted by: GrammyCris Go to Quoted Post
I just called customer service for the magazine and was told there were no plans to discontinue the printed issue, they were just making digital available to anyone who subscribed. I asked if she was sure on that and she did a double check with her supervisor and said the magazine was continuing in print.

I wonder what the real story is? If in fact it goes digital only I will discontinue my subscription as well.

Grammy Cris - I hope they are right. I just threw it away, but inside the plastic shipping cover of my June issue was an insert that explained that they were doing away with printed issues of all their publications - that confirmed what I was told when I called to check why I had not received my June issue. (received it the same day I called - just this week after June is almost over). Their explanation was because the trend and preferred method of their customers was digital. Honestly, I can't believe this is true - I think they are wanting to force that method.

Maybe they have received such a backlash that they are reconsidering this decision. I am going to let this post continue for a while and then forward a link to them so they can see how we feel.
CricketCMV Offline
#11 Posted : Thursday, June 27, 2013 12:03:33 PM(UTC)
CricketCMV

Was thanked: 8174 time(s) in 4793 post(s)
I'm sure it will cost them significantly less to produce it on-line....at least, that's the way it seems it would be to me.

I LOVE using my computer (CCR, MBs, other things I do in the computer), but I simply do not enjoy reading my local newspaper on-line and I will NEVER enjoy reading a magazine on-line, either.

Having said that, though, the prices of magazines on the rack the past five years or so are WAY OUT OF THIS WORLD. I will NEVER spend the money for those magazines, either. We're not rich. We have worked very hard for what we have; can't throw my money away on three or four magazines I would love to subscribe to, for the prices all these companies want me to pay.

Char
 1 user thanked CricketCMV for this useful post.
scrap_hag on 6/29/2013(UTC)
BJR Offline
#12 Posted : Thursday, June 27, 2013 3:32:00 PM(UTC)
BJR

Was thanked: 446 time(s) in 327 post(s)
My comment to digital only is Boo Hiss!Mad I prefer a magazine or book in hand to read esp. anything crafty. I have an ereader but do not want everything to be digital!
I did not know about Papercrafts- mine just expired. Another Boo hiss! BJR.
DianaYork Offline
#13 Posted : Thursday, June 27, 2013 3:40:47 PM(UTC)
DianaYork

Was thanked: 17 time(s) in 14 post(s)
I too am totally disgusted in digital magaiznes. I called as well, and was told you can have the digitals. So, I called Discovercard.com, that's how I paid for the subscription. Told them about it, they agree w/me that they need to honor their agreement, 12 months of PRINTED/HARD COPY magazine and not digital. So, they have put it in disput to try to get a refund of my remaining issues. I would suggest that everyone else do the same if you paid for your subscription by credit card! Maybe they will get the point we are not happy w/digital!
 2 users thanked DianaYork for this useful post.
Annabella on 6/27/2013(UTC), scrap_hag on 6/29/2013(UTC)
lv2scrap02 Offline
#14 Posted : Thursday, June 27, 2013 4:13:09 PM(UTC)
lv2scrap02

United States

Was thanked: 1285 time(s) in 1000 post(s)
I agree my DH belongs to 3 hobby clubs and I use to enjoy when the magazine came out now it is all online so annoying.

I am glad I didn't renew CK
 1 user thanked lv2scrap02 for this useful post.
MaryStillman Offline
#15 Posted : Thursday, June 27, 2013 4:23:28 PM(UTC)
MaryStillman

Was thanked: 1249 time(s) in 792 post(s)
I understand the feeling of loss. I am one that really likes digital statements, bills, and magazines. If I could take my book reader into Barnes & Nobel and purchase a digital book to load on it, I would do that. I do purchase the epubs over the internet, but I do like to browse a bookstore.

I live in a really small house (under 500 square feet). It is a burden to have so much paper stuff. Yes, I recycle, but sometimes it's difficult to get rid of a magazine of beautiful cards, etc.

I'm sorry for all of you that are feeling a loss of the paper product. I think more and more companies will go digital. There are "green" bragging rights for companies that do that, and I think we will be forced to accept it because it's green, and smile as we are reminded of all the trees we have saved.

Sometimes Al Gore is so annoying.

Mary
Leanner Offline
#16 Posted : Thursday, June 27, 2013 6:02:15 PM(UTC)
Leanner

Was thanked: 1562 time(s) in 1150 post(s)
I agree that there are times that I want to put my feet up and turn Paper pages...

I noticed that there are no Northridge magazines for sale in my J's anymore. I guess this means less temptation for me but I hate to see it go.
ellamap Offline
#17 Posted : Thursday, June 27, 2013 7:34:50 PM(UTC)
ellamap

Was thanked: 371 time(s) in 202 post(s)
I am unhappy also! I subbed to three of Northridge's magazines and loved them. I'll have to see how the digital works out. If they get the app for phones and IPad, it may be okay. I'd rather have the print tho, for sure. I doubt if they change their minds. They've been having sales and warehouse clearance of all past issues.
At least CK is keeping a little print issue. I don't think it will last long either. At least I have the ones I've saved. I can get my paper fix when I'm going through withdrawal!
 1 user thanked ellamap for this useful post.
ottergirl Offline
#18 Posted : Thursday, June 27, 2013 9:21:14 PM(UTC)
ottergirl

Was thanked: 175 time(s) in 142 post(s)
Unfortunately for me, we are living in the beginnings of the " digital age". My husband just retired a year ago after 30 years at The New York Times. He says the circulation dept is being cut to the bone and the bulk of the monies are being directed to the digital arena. He figures in about 10 years there will be no more hard copies. I too am sad to see so much digital but I also know it is an age thing. We're in our 60's and half the fun of reading was the feel and smell of a good book. Our daughters and grand kids like the ease of digital, having something always at their fingertips, no clutter in their homes and "saving the trees". Of course none of them cared that the NYTs grew their own trees for the paper they used.

I feel like I now need to hoard my books and craft mags. What a drag!!

Edited by user Thursday, June 27, 2013 9:23:01 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

1 user thanked ottergirl for this useful post.
ksqueenb Offline
#19 Posted : Thursday, June 27, 2013 11:10:15 PM(UTC)
ksqueenb

United States

Was thanked: 408 time(s) in 242 post(s)
I too like a good book but I also love the convenience of a nook where I have access to several books/mags at one time and I can start the next one right after I finish one without having to drag several around at one time.

My main concern is that when I pay for a product, I expect to receive that product in the form I purchased. I was one that "fell for" their sales hype at conventions and purchased advanced subscriptions due to the great price. I'm locked in until 2017.

1 user thanked ksqueenb for this useful post.
EstherWheat on 6/30/2013(UTC)
go-go Offline
#20 Posted : Friday, June 28, 2013 7:28:33 AM(UTC)
go-go

United States

Was thanked: 1863 time(s) in 748 post(s)

I was also surprised to see how small my CK magazine was. I am hoping to have time to sit and read it today. I hadn't yet seen that the rest is digital. That makes me sad.
Dragonfly50 Offline
#21 Posted : Friday, June 28, 2013 9:15:40 AM(UTC)
Dragonfly50

United States

Was thanked: 1221 time(s) in 728 post(s)
Originally Posted by: ksqueenb Go to Quoted Post
I too like a good book but I also love the convenience of a nook where I have access to several books/mags at one time and I can start the next one right after I finish one without having to drag several around at one time.

My main concern is that when I pay for a product, I expect to receive that product in the form I purchased. I was one that "fell for" their sales hype at conventions and purchased advanced subscriptions due to the great price. I'm locked in until 2017.

Can't you get out of it if they switch form physical form to digital alone?
Aren't they basically breaking the contract you made with them when you signed up?
I would check into that if I was you and you do not want to continue it digitally.
There may be a way to get out of it now because they are changing the contract rules.

D~
Jrcreate Offline
#22 Posted : Friday, June 28, 2013 12:19:22 PM(UTC)
Jrcreate

United States

Was thanked: 159 time(s) in 138 post(s)
Be careful with Northridge Publishing it seems the only way to stop them from charging your credit card is to cancel the card. Their digital is also not for the Nook! I was overall not happy with my digital subscription!
Jeanene
 1 user thanked Jrcreate for this useful post.
scrap_hag on 6/29/2013(UTC)
Crafting grandma Offline
#23 Posted : Friday, June 28, 2013 2:31:01 PM(UTC)
Crafting grandma

Was thanked: 105 time(s) in 75 post(s)
I subscribed back in Feb for the Cricut mag and have never received even one. I called a couple of months ago and they offered to either send me the mags I had not received or just start my subscription anew with the June issue. I still have not received the June issue. I called today to request a refund and they told me I would get the June issue and that they did not do prorated refunds. They told me the future issues would be digital. I told them I did not subscribe to digital and only wanted a hard copy mag. They will not refund because they are definite I will get the June mag and they do not do prorated refunds. The alternative was to send me the Jan thru May mags. I just told them to send those. What a disaster.
GrammyCris Offline
#24 Posted : Saturday, June 29, 2013 8:37:55 AM(UTC)
GrammyCris

Was thanked: 1155 time(s) in 540 post(s)
I'm afraid that digital is the wave of the future...not that I like it! I still love a magazine...

I owned a used paperback book store that I had to close last month...digital books have taken over the market, but what do you think of a bookless library?

http://www.npr.org/2013/...-of-the-bookless-library
MaryScraps Offline
#25 Posted : Saturday, June 29, 2013 9:25:12 AM(UTC)
MaryScraps

United States

Was thanked: 6911 time(s) in 2813 post(s)
I just never thought I would see a library go all digital.

While I do have a reader and I rarely buy books anymore.

I got the reader so I could have a bigger font without having to buy large print books.

There are some books that I collect because I really enjoy the authors.

Nicholas Sparks and Joanna Cambell comes to mind.

I do most of my reading on the computer.

So I will have to get used to the digital age of this for magazines.

I am just not ready to go digital on magazines yet though.

Not to mention I can't read them on my reader.

Now the books I have I'm keeping.

All my scrapbooking reference books are priceless to me.

Sorry to hear your book store had to close GrammyCris.

Krissypapercrafts Offline
#26 Posted : Saturday, June 29, 2013 10:05:14 AM(UTC)
Krissypapercrafts

Was thanked: 159 time(s) in 103 post(s)
My brother owns a rare book store in California. All his friends went out of business who owned book stores. His is the only rare book store around his area. I think he is doing ok because he has book signing from popular authors (he was good friends with Ray Bradbury for one}. People still like collecting rare books.
Multicrafter Amy Offline
#27 Posted : Saturday, June 29, 2013 12:41:35 PM(UTC)
Multicrafter Amy

United States

Was thanked: 13155 time(s) in 2321 post(s)
I too like to look at actual paper magazines. I like to take or buy new magazines to look at when I know I will be stuck somewhere. I have noticed I cannot find some of my craft magazines anymore when out and about. It is a shame. I will miss the paper copies. I doubt I will subscribe to the digital versions. There is enough free digital stuff I can look at on Pinterest if I feel the itch to look.

ellamap Offline
#28 Posted : Saturday, June 29, 2013 6:50:18 PM(UTC)
ellamap

Was thanked: 371 time(s) in 202 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Jrcreate Go to Quoted Post
Be careful with Northridge Publishing it seems the only way to stop them from charging your credit card is to cancel the card. Their digital is also not for the Nook! I was overall not happy with my digital subscription!
Jeanene

They are supposed to have an app in August. I don't have a Nook so not sure if you use apps. Hopefully, you'll be able to use the app.
MaryScraps Offline
#29 Posted : Sunday, June 30, 2013 3:21:04 AM(UTC)
MaryScraps

United States

Was thanked: 6911 time(s) in 2813 post(s)

Thanks for posting this. I didn't realize that Creating Keepsakes was doing this.

I was looking through back issues and from what I am seeing this started with the July/August 2013 edition.

So I was able to download the rest of my magazine.

The issues in 2012 vary from 96-130 pages in printed issues.
The digital issues were the same as the printed issues.

The issues from 2013 vary from 66-98 pages in printed issues.
The Digital Issues were the same up until July/August 2013 issue.

The July/August 2013 was the first edition they added extra content in the digital issues.

I'm just putting this info out there because yesterday I spent the day saving magazines.

It wasn't until this morning that I realized that this only started in the July/August 2013 issue.

ETA: For Ipad users there is an app that you can use to read the magazines digitally.
For Android users you can view the magazines through the Android browser.
Android users can read the digital magazine just like you do on your computers.

I did some quick research on magazines going digital and you can read the article I wrote on my blog.
Craft Magazines Going Digital

Edited by user Sunday, June 30, 2013 5:43:39 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

1 user thanked MaryScraps for this useful post.
BJR on 6/30/2013(UTC)
BJR Offline
#30 Posted : Sunday, June 30, 2013 7:01:24 AM(UTC)
BJR

Was thanked: 446 time(s) in 327 post(s)
I just saw this too on the CK mag. So sad. I paid for the whole magazine- it did not get any cheaper but now I have to do both. Oh Pooh bear! (the word I use instead of *@#*@@!). BJR.