Flag
  • Sign In
  • 0 items
  • Search
Welcome Guest! Please login to enable all features.

Notification

Icon
Error

fpayne1002592e57446b Offline
#1 Posted : Friday, June 28, 2013 8:20:16 PM(UTC)
fpayne1002592e57446b

Groups: Registered

So, I got some Vinyl with my Cricut Expressions 2, but I just had a question. The vinyl came with another sheet of white paper that I have no idea what it is for. I have watched several videos and no one says anything about what this white paper is. It has a sticky side to it.

And I was wondering if anyone has any tips to use for cutting vinyl I'd appreciate it.

ThanksBigGrin
Sherri Kay Offline
#2 Posted : Friday, June 28, 2013 10:19:10 PM(UTC)
Sherri Kay

United States

Was thanked: 2394 time(s) in 2146 post(s)
That white paper is called Transfer Tape and is used to transfer your image from the mat to the item you are transferring the image to. It helps to keep words/phrases aligned. It should have shown its use in the video you watched. If not in that video, there are others where I'm sure it shows how to use it. Hope this helps! BigGrin
Olivia'sNana Offline
#3 Posted : Sunday, July 14, 2013 6:38:15 PM(UTC)
Olivia'sNana

Was thanked: 897 time(s) in 432 post(s)
I have not done a lot of vinyl projects but those that i have done - this is the general procedure that I follow:

First I use cricut craft room to design my project so that I can align and space everything exactly as I want it to be on my project. I do "kiss cut" where my blade cuts just through the vinyl and leaves the backing in tack uncut. The settings that I use are pressure med, blade depth 4 and I will multi cut 2 times just to make sure I get a clean complete cut on everything. You may want to test on scraps and adjust your settings as needed.

After cutting and leaving my project on the mat, I will begin to remove all of the excess vinyl around my project cuts carefully and in small sections. I use an xacto knife to help do get small pieces out of the project. Be sure to place back any center cuts of a, e, o, etc if they get lifted by mistake while removing the excess.

Once the excess is removed, take your transfer tape (white sheet you refer to) and cut to size. remove the backing and you are left with the tacky part with the red line grid. I use the lines as a guide to make sure my project is straigt. For instance, I will lay the transfer tape onto my project placing one of the red horizontal lines a along the bottom of a row of letters. Burnish the project once the transfer tape covers everthing to ensure the project transfers to the tape. Then remove the entire prject from your mat, have your recipient project ready and then turn upside down and begin peeling back the vinyl backing. This should be leaving your project stuck to the transfer tape and exposing the sticky side of the vinyl. then place your image onto your project and begin burnishing it again and peel the tranfer tape of carefully- and ta da - your done! This is general, depending on the type of project you are working on of course the steps could vary and you will adapt what works best for you.

Hope this helps
 1 user thanked Olivia'sNana for this useful post.
smerriman58424a80 on 8/17/2013(UTC)