Flag
  • Sign In
  • 0 items
  • Search
Welcome Guest! Please login to enable all features.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
CricutLadyBug Offline
#1 Posted : Monday, July 01, 2013 4:03:38 PM(UTC)
CricutLadyBug

Medals: Cricut Circle Member: Member of the Cricut Circle

Groups: Circle Member, Registered

Was thanked: 57 time(s) in 29 post(s)
BigGrin Hi Cricut Friends

Today I received an email from Cricut Promotions to take a survery. Basically it seems they are trying to find out how many are buying cartridges and how many are buying their digital content. I have been with Cricut since the beginning and have almost all their cartridges. I in no way will buy their digital content (my preference). If I go digital I will then sell all Cricut stuff and buy a Cameo then buy their digital content and find free stuff online. The cartridges are great for folks that don't like using the computer or don't want to. I think this is what made Cricut special and have never thought they should have gone digital. They should leave that for the Cameo which so many have bought and sold their Cricut machines. I am still buying the cartridges even the CTMH and Creative Memories cartridges. Love the Cartridges, Provocraft, hope you are not planning on eliminating them. However, if you do I will just use the machines I have with the hundreds of cartridges I own. Also I was a subscriber to the Northridge Publishing Cricut Magazine and Cricut Create - but now that they are digital I am done with them. I like the magazine and not having to use my computer to look at my magazines. Digital is just not my cup of tea.Blushing

12 users thanked CricutLadyBug for this useful post.
Merrie Jones on 7/1/2013(UTC), Emerald on 7/1/2013(UTC), jillieneIsaacs on 7/1/2013(UTC), ChelaDones on 7/2/2013(UTC), BJR on 7/2/2013(UTC), Annabella on 7/2/2013(UTC), krafty kate on 7/2/2013(UTC), cheryl d on 7/3/2013(UTC), GotTheBug on 7/4/2013(UTC), ~LN on 7/4/2013(UTC), lv2scrap02 on 7/4/2013(UTC), GayleWheaton1 on 7/5/2013(UTC)
Scrappy_Vee Offline
#2 Posted : Monday, July 01, 2013 4:35:00 PM(UTC)
Scrappy_Vee

Groups: Registered
New Zealand

Was thanked: 325 time(s) in 219 post(s)
I truly hope that Cricut does not go digital only.

I'm already at a disadvantage with the whole digital thing. In NZ we are not able to buy digital content. After speaking with the importer recently, we won't be able to for some time... if ever.

I do like using Cricut Craft Room but love having the carts and handbooks in my hands too. This is one thing that sets Cricut apart from the rest. It gives us a choice how we do our crafting.
 5 users thanked Scrappy_Vee for this useful post.
Emerald on 7/1/2013(UTC), BJR on 7/2/2013(UTC), Annabella on 7/2/2013(UTC), lv2scrap02 on 7/4/2013(UTC), GayleWheaton1 on 7/5/2013(UTC)
EstherWheat Offline
#3 Posted : Monday, July 01, 2013 4:55:38 PM(UTC)
EstherWheat

Was thanked: 222 time(s) in 138 post(s)
I can see the need for both and I believe that ProvoCraft has the ability and talent to do both successfully. I love having the physical cartridge and booklet in my hands and that is my preference. However, there have been occasions when I just needed one specific image from a cart and was able to purchase it for a small fee and didn't have to get the entire cart. I like that, too.

Going 100% digital would certainly be a huge mistake, in my opinion, but I don't see them making that choice. I believe they would lose even more of their customer base and put them into competition with other companies that they probably don't want to go up against. My two cents worth!

To chime in on the magazines...I am a weirdo and HATE magazines of any kind so I will not be affected one way or another. lol

1 user thanked EstherWheat for this useful post.
GayleWheaton1 on 7/5/2013(UTC)
joyfullycrafting Offline
#4 Posted : Monday, July 01, 2013 8:49:15 PM(UTC)
joyfullycrafting

United States

Was thanked: 1556 time(s) in 1246 post(s)
May I join you in your cup of tea? Digital is not my thing, either. I have, I think, three digital carts. One for my I because it was too expensive to buy the real thing, and the other two I had Cricut credit that I spent.

I like my physical carts and my physical handbook. I guess I'm old-fashioned that way! Laugh

For me, digital is not convenient due to my scrapping setup, and I do go places to scrapbook that don't have internet service, like the mountains when I camp and take my baby bug with me.
 2 users thanked joyfullycrafting for this useful post.
BJR on 7/2/2013(UTC), lv2scrap02 on 7/4/2013(UTC)
jillieneIsaacs Offline
#5 Posted : Monday, July 01, 2013 9:26:31 PM(UTC)
jillieneIsaacs

Was thanked: 250 time(s) in 94 post(s)
Digi is not my cup of tea either. I love the fact that Cricut is stand alone. I like literally owning my products rather than having them stored on the computer. I really dislike CCR. I have lost too many projects because my session timed out or there was a problem with my connection or some other technical issue that I had no control over. I don't like feeling like the original Cricut set up that i invested so much $ into is getting wedged out. I am an Imagine owner and am very disappointed about it being discontinued. I won't ever go digi with Crciut. if forced to go that route, i'll enjoy what i have and then go cameo or whatever new gizmo has been invented when my machines die. I just feel like all this dependence on the internet is ridiculous.
 3 users thanked jillieneIsaacs for this useful post.
BJR on 7/2/2013(UTC), lv2scrap02 on 7/4/2013(UTC), GayleWheaton1 on 7/5/2013(UTC)
HelloTink Offline
#6 Posted : Monday, July 01, 2013 10:19:47 PM(UTC)
HelloTink

Was thanked: 67 time(s) in 50 post(s)
I love my physical carts! I do have some digital carts, but I much prefer the physical carts. I'm not crazy about CCR and I do NOT want to be tied down to a computer to use my Cricut machines.
 3 users thanked HelloTink for this useful post.
Annabella on 7/2/2013(UTC), lv2scrap02 on 7/4/2013(UTC), GayleWheaton1 on 7/5/2013(UTC)
Grandma of 5 Offline
#7 Posted : Tuesday, July 02, 2013 5:05:07 AM(UTC)
Grandma of 5

Was thanked: 30 time(s) in 14 post(s)
I have 3 machines and 150 carts, but I guess my opinion doesn't count. As soon as I checked the over 65 box for my age, the survey ended.
 4 users thanked Grandma of 5 for this useful post.
BJR on 7/2/2013(UTC), lv2scrap02 on 7/4/2013(UTC), GayleWheaton1 on 7/5/2013(UTC), Coloradoscrapper on 7/5/2013(UTC)
ChelaDones Offline
#8 Posted : Tuesday, July 02, 2013 5:17:10 AM(UTC)
ChelaDones

Was thanked: 137 time(s) in 109 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Grandma of 5 Go to Quoted Post
I have 3 machines and 150 carts, but I guess my opinion doesn't count. As soon as I checked the over 65 box for my age, the survey ended.

Well it wasn't very well thought out.

I marked that there were "0" people under the age of 18 in my household. The very next question wanted to know the age ranges of these people under 18, so I didn't mark it at all. IT INSISTED THAT I MARK SOMETHING!Glare

~Angela
Di&Co Offline
#9 Posted : Tuesday, July 02, 2013 5:41:31 AM(UTC)
Di&Co

Groups: Registered, Circle Member
Canada

Was thanked: 22641 time(s) in 5491 post(s)
I never got a survey...guess they know I prefer a cart in my hand. I have over 65 carts and if they go digi well, I have tons to play with. I still like buying new carts but not digi and I dont like being tied to CCR.
bootsandblingtime Offline
#10 Posted : Tuesday, July 02, 2013 8:51:46 AM(UTC)
bootsandblingtime

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
I have been a Circle member since its inception and I own about 175 cartridges and 4 digital. I did not receive a survey which upsets me. I like the physical cartridges....I think I will call ProvoCraft and ask them to send me the survey.
Calmom Offline
#11 Posted : Tuesday, July 02, 2013 10:49:43 AM(UTC)
Calmom

Was thanked: 2095 time(s) in 1069 post(s)

Well, that's a little discriminative, isn't it?

I marked the 56 to 64 and had only about 7 more questions. I took it as, what machines are being used and how many would accept Digital Only.

NO DIGITAL FOR ME, IF PC IS LISTENING

MaryScraps Offline
#12 Posted : Tuesday, July 02, 2013 1:25:58 PM(UTC)
MaryScraps

United States

Was thanked: 6936 time(s) in 2822 post(s)
I got the impression that they are going to start selling digital only cartridges that are new.
If I remember correctly Nathan said they would sell the cartridges or the digital cartridge.
From this survey I got the impression they are going to shift to start going to all digital.

I guess we wait and see.
Calmom Offline
#13 Posted : Tuesday, July 02, 2013 2:24:46 PM(UTC)
Calmom

Was thanked: 2095 time(s) in 1069 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Scrapbooking_Grandma Go to Quoted Post
I got the impression that they are going to start selling digital only cartridges that are new.
If I remember correctly Nathan said they would sell the cartridges or the digital cartridge.
From this survey I got the impression they are going to shift to start going to all digital.

I guess we wait and see.

Well, it will certainly make a decision for many of us that do not or will not use Digital or CCR, won't it?

I will keep my E2 and all of my Cartridges but I have already purchased a different die cutting machine, in preparation, that PC makes this Bed Decision move.

PC cannot compete with the Digital Market when it comes to die cut machines, the other companies are much more superior, when it comes to intricate cutting.

It will be PC's downfall if they go Digital Only, I have NO doubt. However, PC will Never be what it was at one time, #1 in the market. Whoever, took over PC really had no or very little knowledge of the Die Cutting Market, Scrapbooking or Card Making.

1 user thanked Calmom for this useful post.
JanieW on 7/2/2013(UTC)
kt_g Offline
#14 Posted : Tuesday, July 02, 2013 3:02:59 PM(UTC)
kt_g

Was thanked: 64 time(s) in 34 post(s)

It would be really sad if they made this shift. I say this as someone who has 250+ carts, 4 machines, a gypsy, etc... (but also have a competitor's machine as well with a subscription for content.)

As far as the digital options go, the CCR model is the least attractive.
1. It's internet dependent. Website is down, your internet connection is down --- you're out of luck.
2. You paid for content that you don't really possess. (If PC goes under what happens to your investment? At least with the cartridges you have something physical that can still be used. With the competitors machines you have the content on your computer which can be backed up and saved.)
3. The pricing model is very high for the CCR content.
4. It doesn't allow you bring in other content from different sources.

I think if they fixed the first 2 then maybe it would be acceptable, but if they do move to only digital then I guess I won't be purchasing anything new from Cricut.
 1 user thanked kt_g for this useful post.
Leahdax on 7/7/2013(UTC)
St.Kittsscrapper Offline
#15 Posted : Tuesday, July 02, 2013 5:17:22 PM(UTC)
St.Kittsscrapper

Saint Kitts And Nevis

Was thanked: 1413 time(s) in 910 post(s)
I don't like digital either
Dragonfly50 Offline
#16 Posted : Tuesday, July 02, 2013 10:06:41 PM(UTC)
Dragonfly50

United States

Was thanked: 1221 time(s) in 728 post(s)
I vote for physical cartridges since I didn't get the survey to share my views there.

D~
krafty kate Offline
#17 Posted : Wednesday, July 03, 2013 3:24:22 AM(UTC)
krafty kate

Was thanked: 74 time(s) in 57 post(s)
Hmmm, digital you say, well.....

The Imagine, Gypsy and the Cricut Cake are being 'phased out'. The Imagine is now only supported as a 'stand alone' machine, so one assumes no 'digital' cartridges for Imagine owners. The Cake and Gyspy have ceased production. Is this happening BECAUSE PC want to be digital only, well that sucks big time.

The Imagine was truly revolutionary, flawed, but revolutionary.

The Gypsy really was the 'design anywhere tool' that it claimed to be.

I never had a 'Cake' so can't really comment on how it performed.

However I will say this......

The freedom of creativity, whether in your own home or not is what made PC's cutting and designing range second to none (no I'm not suggesting carting the 'I' around). It really was creativity on the go. I loved the CDS which has now been superseded by the CCR. Yes the CDS had limitations but the CCR has you tied to the internet, with no 'off line' design facility, which frankly limits everyone.

IF you are going to develop the product range please do just that, lead the way, don't just follow in the foot steps of others. Make what you do better, don't just chase after someone's ideas of what makes the designing and creating process 'better'. You are making it such a frustrating process. I understand the need to try to control licensed products but tying everyone to 'on line only contents' is a retrograde step and should be avoided at all costs.

PC PLEASE DO NOT suck the joy out of using your products. Paper books and magazines are much kinder on the eyes and more social things to study. You don't have to be on line and perhaps away from your family to read through cartridge content or to come up with project ideas. You can easily pick up and plan without having to fire up the PC?laptop and go on line. Yes there are benefits to using the CCR, not having to physically find all of your Cartridges, being able to preview cartridges that you may want to own and for those inclined to, to purchase the odd cartridge or image or two. The CCR should be part of your creative process not the only part of it.

Well that's my two cents worth, for what it's worth.

I am still really confused by PC's withdrawal of the Imagine followed by the 'stand alone' statement. I find, as I live in the UK, I can only purchase digital cartridges??? The PC statement implies that I cannot use these Cartridges with my Imagine, as that would stop it being a 'stand alone' machine, as it has to be connected to CCR to access these cartridges; Bizarre
 1 user thanked krafty kate for this useful post.
BJR on 7/5/2013(UTC)
scrapalette Offline
#18 Posted : Wednesday, July 03, 2013 7:08:24 AM(UTC)
scrapalette

United States

Was thanked: 19164 time(s) in 8571 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Dragonfly50 Go to Quoted Post
I vote for physical cartridges since I didn't get the survey to share my views there.

D~

I don't think it was a survey to find out what customers want. They know there is a huge customer base that wants physical carts. But there is also a huge market out there for digital content.

I think it was a survey to find out how to market their digital content. And if people aren't going to use digital {which is certainly each person's right}, then asking them where they would buy digital or how much $$$ they would spend on digital or anything else about digital would be fruitless. It appears it was a marketing survey geared toward a specific market with a specific demographic. . .just like all marketing surveys, regardless of the product.

And, I'm glad we still have the MB, which PC reads, to share our opinions.
Scrapperdee Offline
#19 Posted : Wednesday, July 03, 2013 8:37:30 AM(UTC)
Scrapperdee

Canada

Was thanked: 4222 time(s) in 2420 post(s)
I think they "randomly" pick customers and weight it heavily away from those that have actively posted they HATE digital so they can get the result they want....wouldn't be the first time.

I hate digital - CCR etal is not trustworthy enough to rely on digital being available for use
kt_g Offline
#20 Posted : Wednesday, July 03, 2013 2:40:48 PM(UTC)
kt_g

Was thanked: 64 time(s) in 34 post(s)
Originally Posted by: scrapalette Go to Quoted Post
I don't think it was a survey to find out what customers want. They know there is a huge customer base that wants physical carts. But there is also a huge market out there for digital content.

I think it was a survey to find out how to market their digital content. And if people aren't going to use digital {which is certainly each person's right}, then asking them where they would buy digital or how much $$$ they would spend on digital or anything else about digital would be fruitless. It appears it was a marketing survey geared toward a specific market with a specific demographic. . .just like all marketing surveys, regardless of the product.

First off... I love Cricut. I use my machines frequently and love my carts(we're Disney fans and I scrap every trip --- yeah we're crazy.) It's what started me off on the road to scrapbooking and cardmaking. I hope that PC finds it way and prospers!

Definitely agree that there is a great market for the digital content out there... just not the construct that PC has setup around theirs. (I get that they can't please everyone but at a minimum CCR should allow you to work without having to be connected to the internet and if I've paid full price for a digital cart (which often costs the same as the physical one) I should be have the ability to use it anytime (not just when my internet connection or the site works).)
With my subscription on the dark side -- I own that content in a physical way in the sense that I have the physical file on my pc and if their download site isn't available it doesn't affect me.)

When I travel I just bring along my laptop and cutter and that content is available to me --- having an internet connection is irrelevant to me (this is true for my carts as well as the other unnamed machines.) So you say how does PC fix this.... well my Gypsy does this .... but what does PC do? They discontinue the Gypsy (and have said they have nothing in the pipe to fill that space.)

So I don't think the problem is demographic specific. I think it's the model that's been chosen. PC is SO concerned that someone is going to "steal" an image from them that they spend way more time caring about how they can secure the content that they lose sight of the fact there's an end user out there that doesn't want to "steal" from them but wants to use the content in a manner that works for them.

So I love my Cricut but their digital strategy... not so much.

3 users thanked kt_g for this useful post.
Scrapperdee on 7/4/2013(UTC), jody3316 on 7/7/2013(UTC), Leahdax on 7/7/2013(UTC)
Multicrafter Amy Offline
#21 Posted : Wednesday, July 03, 2013 5:55:39 PM(UTC)
Multicrafter Amy

United States

Was thanked: 13474 time(s) in 2364 post(s)
Originally Posted by: scrapalette Go to Quoted Post

I do think it was on how to market their digital content. It will be interesting to see what develops from the survey.
MaryScraps Offline
#22 Posted : Thursday, July 04, 2013 3:50:54 AM(UTC)
MaryScraps

United States

Was thanked: 6936 time(s) in 2822 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Scrapperdee Go to Quoted Post
I think they "randomly" pick customers and weight it heavily away from those that have actively posted they HATE digital so they can get the result they want....wouldn't be the first time.

I hate digital - CCR etal is not trustworthy enough to rely on digital being available for use

They asked in the survey how likely you were to buy digital(downloadable)cartridges. If you answered you wouldn't then the survey ended. If you said you would then the survey continued on to ask questions in how to market the digital content and what price you would be willing to pay for digital content.
If you won't buy digital then there would be no point in asking how market the digital content or the price you would be willing to pay. Because you already inditcated you would not buy it.
The survey wasn't so much as to find out who would or would not buy digital content.
It was geared towards if you were going to buy digital content. What advertisement and price would you most likely buy from.

What I found interesting is how the question was asked. How likely were you to buy digital (downloadable) cartridges. So I am wondering if they are working on letting us save digital cartridges to our computers. Or if it was a mistake saying downloadable.
If they start allowing us to save our digital cartridges as downloadable to our computers.
Are they also working on having a program run from our computers.

Inquiring minds want to know. LOL
~LN Offline
#23 Posted : Thursday, July 04, 2013 7:22:19 AM(UTC)
~LN

United States

Was thanked: 881 time(s) in 734 post(s)
Quote:

I have almost all their cartridges. I in no way will buy their digital content (my preference). If I go digital I will then sell all Cricut stuff and buy a Cameo then buy their digital content and find free stuff online

DITTO!!

lv2scrap02 Offline
#24 Posted : Thursday, July 04, 2013 7:38:43 AM(UTC)
lv2scrap02

United States

Was thanked: 1317 time(s) in 1024 post(s)

Same here I wonder what the was all about !!!!!!!!!!Huh
 1 user thanked lv2scrap02 for this useful post.
BJR on 7/5/2013(UTC)
Scrapperdee Offline
#25 Posted : Thursday, July 04, 2013 3:25:11 PM(UTC)
Scrapperdee

Canada

Was thanked: 4222 time(s) in 2420 post(s)
They asked in the survey how likely you were to buy digital(downloadable)cartridges. If you answered you wouldn't then the survey ended. If you said you would then the survey continued on to ask questions in how to market the digital content and what price you would be willing to pay for digital content.
If you won't buy digital then there would be no point in asking how market the digital content or the price you would be willing to pay. Because you already inditcated you would not buy it.
The survey wasn't so much as to find out who would or would not buy digital content.
It was geared towards if you were going to buy digital content. What advertisement and price would you most likely buy from.

Exactly WHY they wouldn't send the survey to ME because I'm pretty vocal on my distaste toward digital...and thus, by immediately eliminating those that don't like digital from completing the entire survey (or doing it at all), they can say...everyone likes digital and this is how they would like it marketed - when really, they have only polled those that agree with the direction they want data about.

They did something similar when asking people's opinion about the circle....and then stripped it down and eliminated the features that the majority of circle members actually liked....molded the results to meet the direction they wanted.

1 user thanked Scrapperdee for this useful post.
BJR on 7/5/2013(UTC)
scrapalette Offline
#26 Posted : Thursday, July 04, 2013 3:57:12 PM(UTC)
scrapalette

United States

Was thanked: 19164 time(s) in 8571 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Scrapperdee Go to Quoted Post
Exactly WHY they wouldn't send the survey to ME because I'm pretty vocal on my distaste toward digital...and thus, by immediately eliminating those that don't like digital from completing the entire survey (or doing it at all), they can say...everyone likes digital and this is how they would like it marketed - when really, they have only polled those that agree with the direction they want data about.

They did something similar when asking people's opinion about the circle....and then stripped it down and eliminated the features that the majority of circle members actually liked....molded the results to meet the direction they wanted.

Two different types of survey. The Circle one was product development and Circle and non-Circle members received it. And while the majority of Circle members on the MB wanted the perks that were eventually removed {myself included}, only a small number of Circle members actually use the MB and obviously, the perks as they were weren't enough or important to non-Circle members to motivate them to join.

This digital survey is a marketing survey. PC is going to have digital products whether everyone wants them or not {and I too prefer physical carts}. So this survey was geared toward those that want digital and the questions were to give feedback on how to market digital.
Narelle Offline
#27 Posted : Thursday, July 04, 2013 10:10:37 PM(UTC)
Narelle

Australia

Was thanked: 7911 time(s) in 3709 post(s)
I've purchased lots of Cricut digital carts and most of your probably know I love CCR.....

And yet... I didn't get the survey. Huh Huh

But because my care factor is about zero.... I'm not in the slightest bit concerned. Cool
ChelaDones Offline
#28 Posted : Friday, July 05, 2013 1:39:52 AM(UTC)
ChelaDones

Was thanked: 137 time(s) in 109 post(s)
I wonder if there is more than one survey that we're talking about here?

The one I got did ask about "how likely am I to buy digital cartridges" which I'm not. (I do have a couple digital carts because of the digital credit we all got.)

That seemed rather secondary to the many questions about 3 new cartridges. They seemed very concerned about what people would think about the new cartridges. If I'd be likely to buy them, how often I'd use them, etc.

Maybe there is more than one survey going around.

~Angela
Merrie Jones Offline
#29 Posted : Friday, July 05, 2013 6:18:16 AM(UTC)
Merrie Jones

Was thanked: 984 time(s) in 387 post(s)
OK- inquiring minds want to know- what 3 new cartridges?LOL What was their content?Smile
jscraftylady Offline
#30 Posted : Friday, July 05, 2013 7:36:20 AM(UTC)
jscraftylady

Was thanked: 2354 time(s) in 1265 post(s)
I love buying digital content-for other machines. If Cricut had software as good as the Silhouette software, I would go all digitial in a heartbeat. As it is, CCR is a terrible piece of software that is so ridiculously limited as to be worthless. If they improve their software, more folks will buy digital. It's that easy.
 1 user thanked jscraftylady for this useful post.
Scrapperdee on 7/5/2013(UTC)