Flag
  • Sign In
  • 0 items
  • Search
Welcome Guest! Please login to enable all features.

Notification

Icon
Error

Aggie Girl Offline
#1 Posted : Thursday, September 30, 2010 1:01:27 PM(UTC)
Aggie Girl

Groups: Registered

Hi everyone! I just bought my Cricut on Sunday since Joanns had a sale and I still haven't had the time to open it up, but even still, I have one lingering question: do the cartridges work on all the machines? I just have the basic personal electronic cutter but my sister has the Expressions machine and I was curious to know if we could share cartridges even though her machine looks waaay fancier. And another question, not as dumb but I'm more just looking for opinions here, is the Cricut Design Studio Software well worth the money? I'd really appreciate the help and I look forward to using this machine to express my creativity!!

-DiannaBigGrin
gcmcevoy Offline
#2 Posted : Thursday, September 30, 2010 2:16:15 PM(UTC)
gcmcevoy

United States

Was thanked: 702 time(s) in 607 post(s)
I think all the carts work on all the machines. I think the only problem you may have is if your machine uses the smaller mat you may not be able to fit a image on the paper. But if you want something cutter bigger you can ask your sister to do it for you .

I don't know about the DS I don't have one . I am trying to decide if I want to get that or the gypsy.

I hope that helped a little .
Welcome to the board can;t wait to see your first project posted!BigGrin
scraphappybette Offline
#3 Posted : Thursday, September 30, 2010 2:24:19 PM(UTC)
scraphappybette

Was thanked: 57 time(s) in 48 post(s)
I have DS and rarely use it. I don't have a gypsy though but was thinking
about getting one. I'm actually leaning towards something else though.
BigGrin
LaGeorgiaPaperie Offline
#4 Posted : Thursday, September 30, 2010 2:33:50 PM(UTC)
LaGeorgiaPaperie

Was thanked: 44 time(s) in 33 post(s)
All original carts work in all machines. The new Imagine machine has some carts that will only work for that machine, but the box is different and says Imagine all over it, so its easy to tell.
I upgraded from the Create to the Expression and was super glad I didn't have to buy all new carts for it to work!
planlady19 Offline
#5 Posted : Thursday, September 30, 2010 2:44:52 PM(UTC)
planlady19

United States

Was thanked: 286 time(s) in 268 post(s)
i have ds and use it all the time.. i like it because i can bring the images up on my computer and see them in larger detail then just on the screen or in the handbook.. you can also weld with ds that you can not do without and i had the smaller cricut and liked it so much that i upgraded to the e within 3 months. so watch out it is addictive..

hope you have fun with yours.
ylrosebud270 Offline
#6 Posted : Thursday, September 30, 2010 3:07:26 PM(UTC)
ylrosebud270

Was thanked: 56 time(s) in 49 post(s)
Like everyone else said you can use the same carts in both machines. I also started off with the regular bug move up to the E last year am loving it a whole lot better. I got the DS years ago never loaded it into my computer. Got the Gypsy last year and LOVE that girl. I have crafted more (also buying more carts cause of herDrool) since I got her, the best thing for me is I don't have to pull out my Carts anymore.
Sandyfromukiah♥ Offline
#7 Posted : Thursday, September 30, 2010 3:11:13 PM(UTC)
Sandyfromukiah♥

Medals: Cricut Circle Member: Member of the Cricut Circle

Groups: Circle Member, Registered

Was thanked: 374 time(s) in 334 post(s)
I have both DS and the gypsy and I LOVE my gypsy. AND you can use the cartridges in all the machines.
ღgennyannღ Offline
#8 Posted : Thursday, September 30, 2010 3:25:50 PM(UTC)
ღgennyannღ

Was thanked: 134 time(s) in 98 post(s)
DiannaVigil wrote:
Hi everyone! I just bought my Cricut on Sunday since Joanns had a sale and I still haven't had the time to open it up, but even still, I have one lingering question: do the cartridges work on all the machines? I just have the basic personal electronic cutter but my sister has the Expressions machine and I was curious to know if we could share cartridges even though her machine looks waaay fancier. And another question, not as dumb but I'm more just looking for opinions here, is the Cricut Design Studio Software well worth the money? I'd really appreciate the help and I look forward to using this machine to express my creativity!!

-DiannaBigGrin

I've always said theres no such thing as a dumb question. Yes, all the cartridges work in all the machines except for the Imagine Cartridges. From what I've been told the Imagine Cartridges only work in the Imagine. I don't have the Designe Studio Software so I can't comment on it. Have fun with your new Cricut!
Cricut Your Classroom Offline
#9 Posted : Thursday, September 30, 2010 3:30:16 PM(UTC)
Cricut Your Classroom

Was thanked: 26 time(s) in 25 post(s)
I hope you like your new machine!!! I think it is great how we can use all of the cartridges with all of the machines-the only thing different is with the Imagine cartridges. You cannot use them with the baby bug, cricut create, or expression. I would highly recommend owning a Gypsy! Happy crafting :)

wendy

www.cricutyourclassroom.com
Aggie Girl Offline
#10 Posted : Thursday, September 30, 2010 8:55:10 PM(UTC)
Aggie Girl

Thank you so much for your help everyone!! From everything I've read on the message boards I'm getting even more excited to use it! It's so great to be part of such a nice and creative community! BigGrin
CraftyOldBat Offline
#11 Posted : Friday, October 01, 2010 9:11:28 AM(UTC)
CraftyOldBat

United States
Location: Massachusetts MQ Pg 9 Post # 247 Swap Questionnaire Pg 1 Post #8

Was thanked: 417 time(s) in 346 post(s)
Get your DS brand new on Ebay; I got mine for $22 - well worth it at the lower prices!
karelj Offline
#12 Posted : Saturday, October 02, 2010 4:37:30 AM(UTC)
karelj

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Ditto on what everyone else said about the carts. I love my DS and seldom use my Expression without it. I don't go many places, so haven't invested in the Gypsy, although I'm thinking about it for Christmas...any way, I love the Design Studio and think it's well worth it!
~tallulah~ Offline
#13 Posted : Saturday, October 02, 2010 8:26:09 AM(UTC)
~tallulah~

Was thanked: 343 time(s) in 247 post(s)
just wanted to add that with ds you have to be connected to a computer. with the gypsy you do not; it is a handheld device that connects right to your cricut. this is why i chose the gypsy. love it!!! use my cricut at least 50 times more than i did before i got the g.

also that though all the carts fit in all the machines the imagine is the exception. you cannot use the imagine carts in the regular or cake machines. but you can use the regular carts in the imagine.

Edited by user Saturday, October 02, 2010 8:29:13 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Kate Offline
#14 Posted : Sunday, October 03, 2010 2:18:21 PM(UTC)
Kate

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Like everyone said, you can use all of the cartridges with the exception of the Imagine cartridges. I started out with the personal cutter but have recently moved up to the E and like it much better because I can cut bigger images. I bought the Wild Card cartridge and was disappointed when I discovered I couldn't cut most of the cards out because they were too large for the personal cutter. I also have DS but I still have a lot to learn and just haven't found the time to sit down and just practice with it. Have fun, I know you'll get hooked!