Flag
  • Sign In
  • 0 items
  • Search
Welcome Guest! Please login to enable all features.

Notification

Icon
Error

loraecook61a536cc Offline
#1 Posted : Saturday, July 20, 2013 12:58:55 PM(UTC)
loraecook61a536cc

Groups: Registered

Going to be purchasing my Cricut in a few weeks (even bought a few cartridges today only b/c they were BOGO at Michaels!) Have been doing lots of research, watching videos, etc. to get ready.

What were some things / tips / tricks you have learned along the way, but wish you knew when you got started?

I'm also wondering what accessories I might need to get started that don't come in the box with the 2.

What about creation accessories? I saw a video about making a cupcake box, but it needed things like tacky tape, plastic for the lid. What are some common "accessories" you buy to spruce up your creations, that I could at least start stocking up on now with coupons and such?
Just Rachel Offline
#2 Posted : Saturday, July 20, 2013 1:24:32 PM(UTC)
Just Rachel

Was thanked: 18 time(s) in 16 post(s)
I'm just getting started myself. In looking at a multitude of Cricut blogs I've found that I need more types/colors of paper and cardstock, many kinds of adhesives, lots of cartridges unless you happen to luck out and have enough images to satisfy you right off the bat, I'd love to have an embosser, pens are cool and I've now got gel pens as well as markers, vinyl is a necessity for things other than cards.....Anyway, this is getting very expensive! I'm on my way this afternoon to see someone with scrapbooking supplies for sale. I'm all about finding alternatives to the expensive stuff. Check Craigslist and yard sales. I'm fortunate that our area has Facebook "for sale" pages. I also purchased extra blades and a deep cut holder/blade first thing. Don't want to have to stop because the blade is dull!

Be sure to watch this video: http://bit.ly/1b2CtGO

Have fun!

Edited by user Saturday, July 20, 2013 2:27:15 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

1 user thanked Just Rachel for this useful post.
sueb on 11/9/2013(UTC)
TurtleBug Offline
#3 Posted : Saturday, July 20, 2013 3:48:02 PM(UTC)
TurtleBug

Was thanked: 950 time(s) in 612 post(s)
Hi Loraecook and Just Rachel!
Welcome to Cricut! You really don't need to go out and buy all your crafting supplies at one time....not to mention how expensive that can get. I do have one suggestion, that is to try to use coupons offered by such stores as Michael's, Joann's and Hobby Lobby when shopping. You can save ALOT of money by using them. Before long you will find you have an abundant supply of items for projects and card making.
If you are looking for inspiration, card-making techniques and ideas, check out WEDNESDAY'S CARD SKETCH CHALLENGE (in the Forum section under Cricut Crafts (click on "cards"), provided by a group of very talented Ladies to get your mojo going.
Have fun enjoying your new hobby!

Here is the link for this week Hosted by BingoLady:

https://www.cricut.com/f...-FOR-JULY-17TH-30TH.aspx

Edited by user Saturday, July 20, 2013 4:17:16 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

1 user thanked TurtleBug for this useful post.
Just Rachel on 7/20/2013(UTC)
JoyceG Offline
#4 Posted : Saturday, July 20, 2013 10:00:21 PM(UTC)
JoyceG

Was thanked: 912 time(s) in 593 post(s)
I don't know anything about the e2 but read that its harder to learn that one after you've had the regular E.

I'd make sure to get a spatula and a scraper tools. the scraper doesn't have to be the cricut brand ..just a typical rubber scraper people use on pampered chef kind of pans would work. And it's also nice to have a paper piercer to help push out the smaller items from cut pieces.

as far as adhesives. That depends on what you are gonna make. Bigger items can use just abut any kind of roll tape gun dispencer. I use the ATG for most of my projects. I found the gun for about $16 on amazon.com and then you can often find 'tape shares' posted here in te cricut boards to stock up on tape. a tape share is when one person decides to buy in bulk and then she posts asking people how many they want. Once they get so many slots filled, they order the tape and sends it out to each person who ordered it. Ya get a good deal when ya do the tape shares.

And right now before you even get your machine, you can upload CCR onto your computer and start learning how to work it. I never got the hang of my cricut using the books and key pad very well but now that I started using CCR..I LOVE it!

Joyce
KelliB Offline
#5 Posted : Sunday, July 21, 2013 1:47:48 PM(UTC)
KelliB

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
The most important thing to have in your arsenal is imagination. With a littl imagination, you can use the same cartridge in different ways to get different effects. For example, don't think of a heart as just a heart...it can also be a flower; a flat daisy can become a 3D rose. Experiment! You'll be surprised and probably a little inspired. Have fun!
 1 user thanked KelliB for this useful post.
Just Rachel on 7/21/2013(UTC)
southgirltexas Offline
#6 Posted : Monday, July 22, 2013 7:16:52 AM(UTC)
southgirltexas

Was thanked: 569 time(s) in 341 post(s)
*Painters tape, to tape your paper down when mat loses it's sticky
*A spatula (cricut)
*Tiny scissors, to get tiny cuts neat.
*Tweezers, the kind that hold when released, to hold while you position your cut.
*Magnifying glass, for those tiny layer cuts.
*Lint roller, to clean your mat of debris.
*Nylon scrubber, to clean your mat and rejuvenate your mat. (hold mat under hot running water and put a squirt of liguid soap and scrub lightly. Rinse and let dry)
*Permanent markers (sharpies) in differnt colors, to go around the edge of your cut to hide the white. (Test paper to make sure it does not spread)
 2 users thanked southgirltexas for this useful post.
Just Rachel on 7/22/2013(UTC), hcurnutt1935c7cc on 8/21/2013(UTC)
prh102e1bf7f3b Offline
#7 Posted : Saturday, August 03, 2013 2:41:58 PM(UTC)
prh102e1bf7f3b

Hi - I just got my Expressions2 and have actually learned to turn it on! Got brave today and actually cut something. I agree the spatula is very important. Was wondering if the 'tools kit' was necessary but from some of these comments it seems so - well that'll come at a later time. The hard thing about Cricut is that you can't use the coupons on cricut items! I thought it was just the machines but ALL cricut products are excluded at my HobbyLobby.

Is there a board here that explains better (either a forum or a place on the site) how to figure out the sizings? I tried 3 things today to cut out and only one of them matched the size that I'd put the item to. A frame was supposed to be 3" (or so I thought) and it came out less than 2!! But hey - it's my 1st day using it so I've got a long learning curve ahead of me!!
scrapalette Offline
#8 Posted : Saturday, August 03, 2013 3:10:37 PM(UTC)
scrapalette

Medals: Cricut Circle Member: Member of the Cricut Circle

Groups: Circle Member, Registered
United States

Was thanked: 19028 time(s) in 8503 post(s)
Originally Posted by: prh102e1bf7f3b Go to Quoted Post
Hi - I just got my Expressions2 and have actually learned to turn it on! Got brave today and actually cut something. I agree the spatula is very important. Was wondering if the 'tools kit' was necessary but from some of these comments it seems so - well that'll come at a later time. The hard thing about Cricut is that you can't use the coupons on cricut items! I thought it was just the machines but ALL cricut products are excluded at my HobbyLobby.

Is there a board here that explains better (either a forum or a place on the site) how to figure out the sizings? I tried 3 things today to cut out and only one of them matched the size that I'd put the item to. A frame was supposed to be 3" (or so I thought) and it came out less than 2!! But hey - it's my 1st day using it so I've got a long learning curve ahead of me!!

Sizing can be a little tricky until you know how it works. Your Cricut will size items either in Real Size {or True Size depending on the machine/software} or Relative Size. Real Size means your Cricut will cut the image the size you have on the dial. Dial Size says 4 inch, your flower is cut at 4 inches. But the leaves for the flower would also be 4 inches and that would not be proportional.

This is where Relative Size comes in. When you are cutting images that have layers, you use Relative Size. Then when the size dial says 4 inches, the base image is cut at 4 inches and the other layers are cut in sizes proportional to the base image.

The other factor is sizing is the Key Height Character. This is usually the tallest image on the cart and the other images are sized based on the Key Height Character.

Edited by user Saturday, August 03, 2013 3:12:14 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

scrapalette attached the following image(s):
a1test.jpg
 1 user thanked scrapalette for this useful post.
JoyceG on 8/3/2013(UTC)
Kiethann Offline
#9 Posted : Saturday, August 03, 2013 5:33:50 PM(UTC)
Kiethann

United States

Was thanked: 651 time(s) in 491 post(s)
Here is a tip. BEFORE CUTTING YOUR EXPENSIVE CARDSTOCK or PRETTY PAPERS.....test the cuts on plain colored cardstock. This way you will not be wasting all of that lovely pretty cardstock and papers if you need to make the size larger or smaller. If you want glittered cardstock....you can make your own. Just use your Cricut to cut the image, remove the image and flip it over........run the image through a Xyron take the backing paper off and sprinkle glitter on the sticky side of the image. I made a very pretty 10th anniversary card for my daughter using this method. I have the 1 1/2 inch and the 5 inch Zyron sticker makers so my cuts can only be 4 3/4 in width. If you do not have a Xyron sticker maker you can buy carstock which is self adhesive and use it.

Hit those garage sales and thrift stores. you can find bags of buttons, ribbons and lace a lot of times.
MaryStillman Offline
#10 Posted : Saturday, August 03, 2013 8:58:13 PM(UTC)
MaryStillman

Was thanked: 1245 time(s) in 789 post(s)
And lastly, post what you make! We love to see creations that people have made.

If you have questions about resizing photos small enough to post, ask in the forum.

Welcome, have fun!

Mary
bannadstudios24f7ef5b Offline
#11 Posted : Friday, August 16, 2013 6:32:08 AM(UTC)
bannadstudios24f7ef5b

Hello everyone,

I just bought a brand new ce2 this week and I am scared to death to even open the box for all of the negative reviews I've seen. It is not the ability of working the tech or pc part of the ce2- I will have no problem with that. It is all the complaints of how many machines do not work or perform properly that has me worried.

I am not new to cricut, I owned a first generation 6" cricut that served me incredibly well for probably more years and uses than it should have. I think I literally worked it to death over the course of 6 or 7 years. In fact it was my great experience with this machine that allowed me to overlook all the complaints and bad reviews of the ce2. However now I'm a little nervous because of the amount of money I've spent on something I really need to work.

Any suggestions on getting started on the right path with my new ce2? I'm trying to educate myself as much as possible before even turning it on!

Thank you, I appreciate the time of any who offer advice!

Nervously excited!
D
scrapalette Offline
#12 Posted : Friday, August 16, 2013 7:35:22 AM(UTC)
scrapalette

Groups: Circle Member, Registered
United States

Was thanked: 19028 time(s) in 8503 post(s)
Keep in mind that more people will post when they are unhappy than when they are happy, so you're gonna see more negative stuff {about everything} on the web.

With that said, I think it is a bigger learning curve for the E2 for people who used any of the earlier models. The earlier models were so basic with insert the cart, set the size dial, make your cut selections and cut. All of those size and settings are in the touchscreens on the E2. But once you learn where they are, it's not that big of a deal to tap the screen a few times to cut. Plus, you can see on the screen where the image will cut.

Open the box, get the E2 and start playing! BigGrin
swatts66 Offline
#13 Posted : Friday, August 16, 2013 10:16:44 AM(UTC)
swatts66

Groups: Registered, Circle Member
United States

Was thanked: 1052 time(s) in 576 post(s)
My first machine was the E2. With no prior experience, I thought the E2 was very logical and easy to learn. I didn't even try and connect with the computer at first. I used it as a stand alone machine and learned how to make cuts. There is plenty of time down the road for adding CCR. I am always shocked to see the negative posts about E2. I just love mine, but will admit that I got a mini nearly a year after I got the E2 and that is my go to machine now. But I still use the E2 whenever I have large things that need to be cut that require the 12x12 size paper.
krafty kate Offline
#14 Posted : Friday, August 16, 2013 11:45:02 AM(UTC)
krafty kate

Was thanked: 74 time(s) in 57 post(s)
Originally Posted by: scrapalette Go to Quoted Post
Keep in mind that more people will post when they are unhappy than when they are happy, so you're gonna see more negative stuff {about everything} on the web.

With that said, I think it is a bigger learning curve for the E2 for people who used any of the earlier models. The earlier models were so basic with insert the cart, set the size dial, make your cut selections and cut. All of those size and settings are in the touchscreens on the E2. But once you learn where they are, it's not that big of a deal to tap the screen a few times to cut. Plus, you can see on the screen where the image will cut.

Open the box, get the E2 and start playing! BigGrin

Scrapalette is so right. The worried, frustrated and often annoyed post in these forums..

Don't be afraid of your machine, with a little practice, in no time at all it can become your greatest asset. Throw in the CCR and you won't look back.

Have fun and remember with people like scapelette and Narelle on the forums, plus all the other friendly people, if you hit a snag someone will help or advise you.

Happy Crafting
Kiethann Offline
#15 Posted : Friday, August 16, 2013 11:56:25 AM(UTC)
Kiethann

United States

Was thanked: 651 time(s) in 491 post(s)
shhh here is a secret. It is not Hobby Lobby, Michaels or JoAnns who kiboshed using the discount coupons on Cricut and Cricut products. It is....ooops sorry can't spill the beans. but if anyone would like to know....just PM me.
 1 user thanked Kiethann for this useful post.
sueb on 11/9/2013(UTC)
sueb Offline
#16 Posted : Saturday, November 09, 2013 5:56:53 AM(UTC)
sueb

The video link you posted was hilariously right on. I bought my Cricut E2 a couple of months ago and all I have done since is shop and make lists of things I will probably need. I have yet to figure out exactly how to use the machine, so have managed to complete only one small project.BigGrin