Flag
  • Sign In
  • 0 items
  • Search
Welcome Guest! Please login to enable all features.

Notification

Icon
Error

SRS Offline
#1 Posted : Saturday, August 10, 2013 6:00:05 PM(UTC)
SRS

Groups: Registered

I have the Expression2 and I'm not understanding how the layering stuff works. Are you suppose to put the images on top of each other when cutting or set them next to each other?? Also, how to do cut something that has layers when you want each layer a different color??? Any help that you could give me, would really be deeply appreciated.
Thanx,
SRSConfused Huh
Maxluv Offline
#2 Posted : Saturday, August 10, 2013 6:10:19 PM(UTC)
Maxluv

Medals: Cricut Circle Member: Member of the Cricut Circle

Groups: Registered, Circle Member
United States

Was thanked: 490 time(s) in 377 post(s)
Are you using just the machine? or using the CCR? To cut the different colors for layers you use different colors of paper. You cut the layers separately and then layer then on top of the image that you cut.
SRS Offline
#3 Posted : Sunday, August 11, 2013 6:14:51 AM(UTC)
SRS

Thanx for your reply and yes, I'm using the CCR! So I just make that the layer fits correctly and set it beside the other imagine I'm cutting with the different paper (2 colors side by side)? This different can welding something together!! Sorry if I'm confusing but I'm new at this!!
SRS
Olivia'sNana Offline
#4 Posted : Sunday, August 11, 2013 11:19:53 AM(UTC)
Olivia'sNana

Was thanked: 931 time(s) in 459 post(s)
The mat layering can be great when working with lots of colors and image layers. I use it often. You add tabs (matlayers) at the top of your screen by clicking the + sign. You can change the color and/or name of each mat layer that you add. I chose to name each may layer with the respective image layer name as it was called in the handbook. The colors I chose were generally the color paper i wanted to use for each piece. The first tab will be the bottom most layer, second will be the next and so on. This is only important if you want to see your layerd project on your computer screen as it will look finished. I am going to attach some pics and a couple of ccr files that you can download and then import into your ccr to see how I did this. The layered ccr file was just for reference and I wanted to save each fairy the same way. Obviously, I used the fawn cut file for actually cutting the project.

You can do the same concept except by just using one mat layer. The only difference each piece will show the same color so you just have to figure out what color goes where on your mat.

When you use multiple mat layers, even though you can cut all layers at the same time one right after the other, ccr will prompt you to cut each layer individually but you don't unload your mat each time.

My granddaughter just had a tinker bell and fairy friends bd party and I scrapbooked her party picturs using tinkerball cartridge. It was so much fun to do but lots of work because of all the detail.

The first picture you see how I built the image on my virtual mat. Second picture is where i spread all the pieces out around my mat for cutting, third you see how I placed my corresponding papers on my mat for cutting, third is the finished layout. I did this for all 5 fairies plus several of the flowers and butterfly from the cartridge. I have attached the .ccr files for you to download and import if you like. I have saved all five fairies if you or anybody is interested in them, pm me and I will be happy to forward.

Sorry for the poor quality pictures. I snapped the layout pic without taking out of the page protector.

hope this helps

Edited by user Sunday, August 11, 2013 11:28:01 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

File Attachment(s):
fawn cut.ccr (10kb) downloaded 16 time(s).
fawn.ccr (10kb) downloaded 10 time(s).
Olivia'sNana attached the following image(s):
DSCN1791.JPG
DSCN1790.JPG
DSCN1789.JPG
DSCN1787.JPG
DSCN1788.JPG
 2 users thanked Olivia'sNana for this useful post.
Nova on 9/28/2013(UTC), morgansomma2895f761 on 11/24/2013(UTC)
sueb Offline
#5 Posted : Saturday, November 09, 2013 5:25:26 AM(UTC)
sueb

Thanks Olivia's Nana for the informative post. I too am new to the world of the Cricut and your post helped me more than the 20 video clips I have watched trying out how all of this works.
The problem I am experiencing is that when I change my basic layer, the subsequent layers are not changing from the preset size. I have no idea how to figure out what size the upper layers should be and the results are a mess. I have the Aa on relative size. I know I am missing a step somewhere but not sure what it is. This happens both in the CCR and when I am working straight on the Cricut E2. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.
Olivia'sNana Offline
#6 Posted : Saturday, November 09, 2013 5:51:19 AM(UTC)
Olivia'sNana

Was thanked: 931 time(s) in 459 post(s)
Originally Posted by: sbrock37d16e3776 Go to Quoted Post
Thanks Olivia's Nana for the informative post. I too am new to the world of the Cricut and your post helped me more than the 20 video clips I have watched trying out how all of this works.
The problem I am experiencing is that when I change my basic layer, the subsequent layers are not changing from the preset size. I have no idea how to figure out what size the upper layers should be and the results are a mess. I have the Aa on relative size. I know I am missing a step somewhere but not sure what it is. This happens both in the CCR and when I am working straight on the Cricut E2. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

I am glad that I this was helpful to you.

I can't help you with just your stand alone machine in resizing because #1 I have an E not E2 so not familiar with the machine settings and #2 I use ccr exclusively, so I don't even know how to operate my own machine by itself.

As far as resizing in ccr, for me the way I do it is lay all layers on my virtual mat(s) and then beginning at the first image, right click and drag your mouse pointer over ALL of the image pieces. This puts the bracket around everything, then click on the bottom right corner arrow and slide diagonally up or down to resize everything smaller or larger. By bracketing everything like this, you are resizing everything in proportion to the base. It does not matter if the images are on multiple mat layers or on one as long as you slide your mouse over all. Also it does not matter if you have to go outside the virtual mat boundaries. After you have the size like you want, just reposition everything back onto the mat like you want.

I rarely will even input a size, I just start laying all the parts on my mat and use the slider to resize using visual until I have the size I want. Remembering that each square on the mat = 1inch, you can tell pretty close by just looking at the base what size it is. You can see the exact size by just clicking on the base image and looking at the top of your ccr screen height and width boxes and it will tell you exactly what size the cut image will be.

Just remember before resizing the base, bracket everything and resize together. You can see in the pic how I bracketing all the parts of Iris even though they are on different mat layers and then enlarged using the bottom right arrow,even taking it outside the mat space.

Edited by user Saturday, November 09, 2013 5:58:47 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Olivia'sNana attached the following image(s):
untitled (Large).JPG