Flag
  • Sign In
  • 0 items
  • Search
Welcome Guest! Please login to enable all features.

Notification

Icon
Error

MarilynC Offline
#1 Posted : Friday, August 23, 2013 1:47:30 AM(UTC)
MarilynC

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Hello all -

I don't post here often, but I am a frequent visitor. I own a Cricut Expression and about
30 cartridges. I have not used my cricut in a while. I just don't have the time any more and have lost interest in it. My time now consists of taking care of my elderly mom even while she is in assisted living and working outside the home.

What I wanted to find out is if anyone here had regrets selling their cricut and cartridges? I just feel like I worked so hard to save up and buy the right cartridges when I was scrapbooking more and I almost hate to sell something I worked hard for.

But I am trying to downsize stuff in my craft room. I just don't feel the need to have so much stuff any more.

Any thoughts out there if you have or have not sold your cricut, downsizing etc.

Thanks,

Marilyn
sewnmachine Offline
#2 Posted : Friday, August 23, 2013 7:52:35 AM(UTC)
sewnmachine

Was thanked: 372 time(s) in 252 post(s)
Marilyn,

If you have thought about the pros and cons for a while now, you are probably ready to make a decision. But, if crafting is something you love to do why not just wait a bit longer? I have sold off things before and sure enough..... about 6 months later I regretted it.

EVERYBODY hits a dry spell. Sometimes all I feel like doing to reading blogs but don't do any actual crafting. The creative urge always comes back in it's own good time.

I guess (just from my own prospective) I would say right now.... hang onto your stuff unless you are either in need of the space or the money. The things you bought with yesterdays dollars will be wayyyyyy more costly to replace in todays dollars should you want to use them again.

I hang on to ALL of my sewing and crafting supplies even though they are not currently in use. It took me a long time to build up my supplies - and when the time comes that I really CAN'T sew or craft anymore, I figure I'll just let my kids sort through the rubble and deal with it.

I say keep your stuff.
 3 users thanked sewnmachine for this useful post.
JoyceG on 8/23/2013(UTC), MarilynC on 8/23/2013(UTC), BJR on 8/24/2013(UTC)
CricutNat Offline
#3 Posted : Friday, August 23, 2013 7:58:55 AM(UTC)
CricutNat

Was thanked: 77 time(s) in 61 post(s)
I would say keep your stuff as well...I have a TON of stuff and I am downsizing, but things that are easily replaced - paper, embellishments, ribbons, and a huge stash from my existing die cut collection. Some of the cricut items are really hard if not impossible to get a hold of again...Put it safely in a storage container and keep it for later...my 3 daughters have kept my hubby and I really busy, with all of the school and extra curricular activities and such - Best of luck with your decision

CricutNat
 3 users thanked CricutNat for this useful post.
williase Offline
#4 Posted : Friday, August 23, 2013 8:03:58 AM(UTC)
williase

Medals: Cricut Circle Member: Member of the Cricut Circle

Groups: Registered, Circle Member

Was thanked: 37 time(s) in 23 post(s)
Marilyn:
I agree with sewnmachine - hang on to your stuff, at least for another 6-12 months. Like you said, it took you awhile (and some money) to get what you thought was good.

Besides, maybe you can start something up at your mom's assisted living to help you get into your groove again? As I recall there was one MB member who did that recently and she had a great time with it.
 3 users thanked williase for this useful post.
SassyLady Offline
#5 Posted : Friday, August 23, 2013 8:43:03 AM(UTC)
SassyLady

Was thanked: 824 time(s) in 398 post(s)
Don't do it! Hold on for a while as we all go through times where we are so busy that our crafting gets set aside. Then normalcy comes back and we go right back to doing the things we love and how horrible it would be if you didn't have the tools you worked so hard to get. Put off your decision for that 6 to 12 months as already suggested and you will probably be glad you did!
 3 users thanked SassyLady for this useful post.
JoyceG Offline
#6 Posted : Friday, August 23, 2013 8:56:09 AM(UTC)
JoyceG

Was thanked: 942 time(s) in 611 post(s)
I had the first cricut that came out, the one that used the 6" mats and I had 12 cartridges. I sold it all to a friend but only because I needed the money since I had just lost a job and needed instant income. I never regretted selling because of the circumstances. Then 2 years ago I bought the E and now have 130 carts. I doubt I will ever sell any of these. Too many of them are too hard to find now. I know I'd regret selling my E and carts now. And I didn't even use my cricut very much the first 18 -20 months that I had it. But now that I am using CCR...I love it and couldn't imagine my scrapping life without it :)

Joyce
MarilynC Offline
#7 Posted : Friday, August 23, 2013 9:16:36 AM(UTC)
MarilynC

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Thank you all for your input. I didn't quite know where to post my thoughts to begin with. I have resisted the urge over the last couple of years to purchase every single cart that has come out and I have to say I am very satisfied with the ones that I have and they are versatile for many projects.

I know that some cartridges would be hard/costly to replace. I do enjoy scrapbooking, but now I just don't have the time. I still enjoy reading blogs and seeing all the creativity.

I know I haven't used my cricut in the last 6 months and when I have had the time to do any paper crafting, its usually a very simple card or another type project.

Thanks for your friendly comments, I appreciate you taking the time to respond. BigGrin

Marilyn

P.S. Sassylady - I saw your are from Helena AL, I have some family in that area. I am in the Memphis, TN area

Edited by user Friday, August 23, 2013 9:18:41 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

joyfullycrafting Offline
#8 Posted : Friday, August 23, 2013 9:18:22 AM(UTC)
joyfullycrafting

United States

Was thanked: 1556 time(s) in 1246 post(s)
I agree with everyone else who had said, "don't sell."

Right now, I papercraft. Several years ago, I did wood crafts. Before that it was quilling (which I guess is kind of papercrafting), tatting, cross stitch, and so on and so on. I have always done yarn crafing.

I don't get rid of much of anything, because sooner or later, I always come back to it. I am guessing it was close to 30 years ago I knitted a sweater. It turned out HUGE. I should have known something was wrong when I had to order more yarn as the amount that came in the kit was not enough. Anyway, I have gotten better at knitting, and it is almost time to dig that yarn back out and try again. Yes, yarn from 30 years ago!!!

My DH did just move my saw from the garage to the storage shed, but that is OK. It will actually be easier to use in the shed when I get around to using it agaian!
 1 user thanked joyfullycrafting for this useful post.
MarilynC on 8/23/2013(UTC)
rhondah* Offline
#9 Posted : Friday, August 23, 2013 9:45:48 AM(UTC)
rhondah*

Groups: Circle Member, Registered
United States

Was thanked: 16828 time(s) in 9369 post(s)
I wouldn't sell either. Wait a bit longer!Smile
MaryScraps Offline
#10 Posted : Friday, August 23, 2013 12:42:10 PM(UTC)
MaryScraps

United States

Was thanked: 6936 time(s) in 2822 post(s)
I sold some cartridges I regret selling. I thought I didn't need them.
I was able to get some of them back.

Keep your scrapbook supplies.
Some of the Cricut cartridges are irreplaceable unless you want digital only.
I would just put it away for awhile like others have mentioned.
Some day I think your going to want it again.
SassyLady Offline
#11 Posted : Friday, August 23, 2013 12:45:33 PM(UTC)
SassyLady

Was thanked: 824 time(s) in 398 post(s)
Originally Posted by: MarilynC Go to Quoted Post
Thank you all for your input. I didn't quite know where to post my thoughts to begin with. I have resisted the urge over the last couple of years to purchase every single cart that has come out and I have to say I am very satisfied with the ones that I have and they are versatile for many projects.

I know that some cartridges would be hard/costly to replace. I do enjoy scrapbooking, but now I just don't have the time. I still enjoy reading blogs and seeing all the creativity.

I know I haven't used my cricut in the last 6 months and when I have had the time to do any paper crafting, its usually a very simple card or another type project.

Thanks for your friendly comments, I appreciate you taking the time to respond. BigGrin

Marilyn

P.S. Sassylady - I saw your are from Helena AL, I have some family in that area. I am in the Memphis, TN area

I PM'd you.
Jooniper Offline
#12 Posted : Friday, August 23, 2013 1:48:40 PM(UTC)
Jooniper

Was thanked: 873 time(s) in 631 post(s)
Yeah, I wouldn't sell yet either. I go loooong stints of not using my Cricut or paper or supplies. I'm just now coming off a 5 month hiatus. Blushing

Besides if you have mostly older carts they will be a pain and expensive to replace.
deleted Offline
#13 Posted : Friday, August 23, 2013 2:56:06 PM(UTC)
deleted

Was thanked: 76 time(s) in 54 post(s)
I sold my E and carts when I got the competitors machine. No regrets. I kept both for a while - very different concepts. I use the "new" machine on almost a daily basis now. I hardly touched the E.

I actually came out way ahead on the deal. Got exactly what I paid for the E and pretty good return on the carts. More than paid for my new machine - and don't have to buy carts. More freedom to use fonts and my own designs - that is why I use it more, plus I don't have to be online (my internet is awful)

That E was a good machine though- and the gal that bought it loves it!
CricketCMV Offline
#14 Posted : Friday, August 23, 2013 3:50:41 PM(UTC)
CricketCMV

Was thanked: 8313 time(s) in 4909 post(s)
It depends on a lot of things.

Do you need the money? You will rarely (although the OP said she came out ahead) get all your money back out of what you have in your hobby. To me, it's an investment that you don't have to peruse daily/weekly or even monthly. Sometimes, when I make cards, I make three or four in a few weeks, then I don't have time to make any for a while. BUT, when I want to make them, I still have the materials I need to make them.

Do you have the room to store all of your "stuff" without flowing over into other areas of your home? Is it neat and put away when you're not using it, or is it taking up room you need for something else in your and your family's lives?

I struggle with this a lot. I have 60+ carts (maybe fifteen of those I could sell in a heartbeat, because I really don't hardly ever use them) and three machines. Two are set up; one is a backup. I sometimes think it's foolish to have three machines when you can only use one at a time. The Expression does everything I need, yet I have a MINI and a backup Expression.

Do you have a young family or grandchildren coming in and out? Would any of them enjoy using these machines?

There are many things to look at when deciding to keep or get rid of our "stuff"!

Stuff is really all it is; do we really need it? We each have to decide for ourselves.

What are you going to do?

Char

Edited by user Friday, August 23, 2013 3:53:23 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

jenny dennis Offline
#15 Posted : Friday, August 23, 2013 8:26:33 PM(UTC)
jenny dennis

Was thanked: 18213 time(s) in 4365 post(s)
I'm with the others unless you need to sell your stuff I would not! More likely than not you will not get close to what you paid for it,and we all go through seasons in our lives things will calm down and if you see later on you really don't need it you could sell it then best of luck with whatever you decideBigGrin
jody3316 Offline
#16 Posted : Saturday, August 24, 2013 7:44:33 AM(UTC)
jody3316

Was thanked: 42 time(s) in 12 post(s)
Hi Marilyn,

You've gotten some great advise here. I know a bit of what you're going through. I work full time and have my 87-year-old Mom with me. I'm also crazy enough to have adopted five rescue dogs - some with special needs. Sometimes crafting is the only thing that keeps me sane. I bought one of the first Cricut machines. It sat there for years unused. I've upgraded now but do use my machines. Situations change so hang in there.

Best Wishes,
Jody
Josie0602 Offline
#17 Posted : Saturday, August 24, 2013 3:05:37 PM(UTC)
Josie0602

United States

Was thanked: 1080 time(s) in 835 post(s)
I am in very much the same situation as you are. My mom has breast cancer and my sister and brother and I made a promise to her that she would be able to stay in her home. She chose to not seek treatment. She has gotten to the point that for the last year we can not let her stay alone. We rotate spending the night at my mom's. I work full time and I also am at mom's in the morning before work and in the afternoon in addition to staying the two nights a week that are my days. That being said, I have three machines and 170+ cartridges. By the time I can find a few minutes to create, I am so tired that I just don't. I am still buying cartridge though and look forward to the time that I can begin crafting again.

I agree with the others, hang on to your supplies for a while longer until you are sure you will never want to do it anymore.

My thoughts are with you...it is difficult to be a caregiver!
Dragonfly50 Offline
#18 Posted : Saturday, August 24, 2013 8:31:03 PM(UTC)
Dragonfly50

United States

Was thanked: 1221 time(s) in 728 post(s)
I agree that you should hold off on selling for a little while.

You are going through a stressful exhausting time right now but if you enjoyed it before then when things calm down chances are you will again.
(My Mom stayed with us the during the last year of her fight with cancer)

I won a competitor machine (blog candy) and so I have both.

Lately I have really been into using my Cuttlebug, stamps and other things that took a back seat when I got my Cricut.

I have not used either of my machines much in the past few month but know I will in the future.

If I had gotten rid of all the stamps I haven't used in years I wouldn't be enjoying rediscovering them again right now.

When the time comes for me to rediscover my Cricut and my cartridges I will have them to enjoy.

As soon as I can find the new cartridges at Joanns I will get them and enjoy them when the time comes.

In the end you must do what is best for you.
Take care of yourself.
Hugs
D~