Flag
  • Sign In
  • 0 items
  • Search
Welcome Guest! Please login to enable all features.

Notification

Icon
Error

cms44029f3eadaa Offline
#1 Posted : Monday, August 26, 2013 8:30:53 PM(UTC)
cms44029f3eadaa

Groups: Registered

I'm new to cricut and I just did my first cut and the scrap book paper stuck to my mat and what I could get off is all curly how do I stop this from happening?
TheSingingCrafter Offline
#2 Posted : Monday, August 26, 2013 8:54:38 PM(UTC)
TheSingingCrafter

Was thanked: 29 time(s) in 22 post(s)
New mats for the most part causes paper to stick. After several full cuts your mat will loose stickiness and you won't encounter that problem. You will however need to spray your mat with adhesive because your mat will eventually (sooner not later) loose all stickiness. You can pick up adhesive spray at a craft store. I use Tacky by Aleene's but you could try any variety just make sure acid free.
Olivia'sNana Offline
#3 Posted : Tuesday, August 27, 2013 3:45:27 AM(UTC)
Olivia'sNana

Was thanked: 915 time(s) in 449 post(s)
particularly if you are cutting thin paper, a new mat needs to be seasoned first by patting your hands over it or laying a clean tshirt on it. That will take away the excess sticky.

I generally will not use a brand new mat on thin paper but instead will cut heavier card stock first for the first couple of times and just gently lay the paper on the mat without pressing it down. The sticky goes away fast enough so I hate the idea of doing something that intentionally takes it away.
CowgirlUp Offline
#4 Posted : Tuesday, August 27, 2013 9:01:38 AM(UTC)
CowgirlUp

Medals: Cricut Circle Member: Member of the Cricut Circle

Groups: Circle Member, Registered
United States

Was thanked: 897 time(s) in 729 post(s)
just a reminder if you re-stick your mat (as someone earlier suggested) it will void the warranty on your machine.

I have 2 mats that i use one for cardstock (a newer mat) and one for scrapbook paper (an older mat)
TammyPuckett Offline
#5 Posted : Tuesday, August 27, 2013 10:01:02 AM(UTC)
TammyPuckett

Was thanked: 335 time(s) in 195 post(s)
When I get a new mat out & it seems a bit too sticky, I will pat my hands on the mat or use a cotton t-shirt to take away some of the sticky. I am not a fan of using the stuff to re-stick the mats. To me it is easier to just buy new ones. I watch Hobby Lobby for their sales on Cricut items & they are usually 30% off & a 2 pack of mats is cheap!

I have several different brands of paper that I use, but the one that I like best is the Color Bok that you get at Wal-Mart. I do not like to cut the Recollection paper from Michaels or the Creative Memories paper with my Cricut. No matter how I adjust the pressure, it always seems to tear.
 1 user thanked TammyPuckett for this useful post.
go-go on 8/28/2013(UTC)
Kiethann Offline
#6 Posted : Tuesday, August 27, 2013 10:43:41 AM(UTC)
Kiethann

United States
Location: master questionair page 16 post 465 new MQ page 1 post 6

Was thanked: 699 time(s) in 535 post(s)
you can rejuvenate your mats by using a mild soap and a nylon scrubby. I have used the same mat for several years now.
LisaDePugh Offline
#7 Posted : Tuesday, August 27, 2013 11:19:23 AM(UTC)
LisaDePugh

Was thanked: 285 time(s) in 215 post(s)
I don't recommend that you ever re-sticky your mat. It usually makes them even stickier than they were to begin with. The reason the mats loose their tackiness is from the paper fibers that stay stuck to the mat. When too much of it builds up the mat looses tackiness, much like putting tape on a dusty surface. The dust sticks to the tape and then the tape won't stick to anything. Just gently wash the mat with warm (not hot) water and if necessary, a mild soap. Hang it up to dry overnight and the next day your mat will be ready to use.
DoodleDiva Offline
#8 Posted : Tuesday, August 27, 2013 11:41:27 AM(UTC)
DoodleDiva

Medals: Cricut Circle Member: Member of the Cricut Circle

Groups: Registered, Circle Member
United States

Was thanked: 1240 time(s) in 468 post(s)
I would not recommend re-sticking your mat. Like a previous poster stated above I use a heavier paper the first few cuts then use thinner paper. I try and steer away from the thinner papers though. Love DCWV papers, Close To My Heart paper and cardstock and Bazzil works beautifully!

I do sometimes take my new mat and give it the butt rub! Cool Yep, just take that sticky mat and swat it on my clothed rear end a few times. Blue jeans work great.BigGrin BigGrin

Edited by user Tuesday, August 27, 2013 11:42:21 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

go-go Offline
#9 Posted : Wednesday, August 28, 2013 9:37:00 AM(UTC)
go-go

United States

Was thanked: 1747 time(s) in 720 post(s)
Originally Posted by: TammyPuckett Go to Quoted Post
When I get a new mat out & it seems a bit too sticky, I will pat my hands on the mat or use a cotton t-shirt to take away some of the sticky. I am not a fan of using the stuff to re-stick the mats. To me it is easier to just buy new ones. I watch Hobby Lobby for their sales on Cricut items & they are usually 30% off & a 2 pack of mats is cheap!

I have several different brands of paper that I use, but the one that I like best is the Color Bok that you get at Wal-Mart. I do not like to cut the Recollection paper from Michaels or the Creative Memories paper with my Cricut. No matter how I adjust the pressure, it always seems to tear.

I have another friend that swears by the Colorbok paper at Walmart. I use the solid color Recollections paper that is open stock. It is the one that is mixed in with all the patterned papers. I stock up when they have 8/$1 paper sales. The paper has a very light linen texture on one side & it cuts like butter.
Margo
sewnmachine Offline
#10 Posted : Wednesday, August 28, 2013 11:36:36 AM(UTC)
sewnmachine

Was thanked: 351 time(s) in 235 post(s)
I re-stick my mats all the time. I just make sure I tape around the outside edges where the rollers go. All my machines are already out of warrenty, so re-sticking my mats just makes more economic sense to me.

When I don't have time to re-stick, I just give the back of my papers a very light mist with Krylon Easy-Tack. It works perfect. That is also the same spray I use to do a full re-stick on my mats.

If too much stuff builds up, I will take a few minutes and go over the mat with some "goo remover" and then scrape off the excess until the mat is nice and smooth. Then reapply the spray, and the mat is like new. Seriously. Like new.

I do pick up a new package now and then, but I'm still using the original mats that came with my Baby Bug from almost 3 years ago.