Flag
  • Sign In
  • 0 items
  • Search
Welcome Guest! Please login to enable all features.

Notification

Icon
Error

15 Pages123>»
ScrappinGwen Offline
#1 Posted : Tuesday, September 17, 2013 7:22:35 AM(UTC)
ScrappinGwen

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 809 time(s) in 636 post(s)
Happy New Year! It's time to start putting our crafty brains and hands to work using some Tim Holtz inspired techniques and/or products!!

I was working on a Christmas stocking swap and realized that it would be too hard to complete yet another holiday swap on time and keep it stress free for us. But yet I'm pretty sure many of us are drooling over all the new Tim Holtz products starting to hit the shelves and of course many of us are ever so anxious and curious to see what all new ideas and techniques Tim Holtz and his cohorts will be showing and teaching us, using his new products and getting us ready for the holidays, Tim Holtz style.

So I decided that it would be so much more enjoyable if we could start to gather our ideas now while we are surfing the blogs for ideas for our Christmas swaps, maybe do some purchasing of new products that we will need for the Christmas swaps, and maybe buy something extra here and there as we do our Christmas shopping and fulfill some wishes. Plus, once you review the swap directives, you will know exactly what to put on your Wish Lists that you sneak into hubby's and children's hands before they go do their holiday shopping!

Come December 31st, you should be all set to craft away dreary January and just think how wonderfully happy you will be playing with Tim Holtz products! And then the love that will fill your heart as these swap boxes arrive in February or the first part of March....well my gosh! That love will certainly put you right in the mood for Valentine's Day!

See!!! It's a very calculating, long-term plan intended to bring nothing but happiness to you and yours for the next several months!

So, with no further ado....let me present the TIM HOLTZ Spoil Your Partner Silly Swap!

T

Texture, tissue tape, texture fade embossing folders, trinket pins

Create a Tag or a Triptych using TH Texture Fad Embossing Folder(s), and/or tissue tape, and/or create layers of texture on the surface using his many techniques – then finish off with a trinket pin!

I

Idea-ology products, inks and refills, ink blenders, industrial themed project using his blueprint stamps, industrious stickers

Your choice of making two home-made cards using TH Industrial Blueprint stamped images or gift your partner an “I” product, as listed above

M

Mixed media, metals, material (his new line of bolts of fabrics), Movers & Shapers Magnetic Dies, TH Distress Markers, mirrored paper, muse tokens, mini sets of TH stamps and products

Your choice of creating a mixed media project to include at least one of these “M” products or sew your project using the new line of TH Materials/Fabrics.

H

Heat embossed; Holidays

Your Holiday themed project, card, tag, etc. must include heat embossing technique

O

On the edge die, oval charms, ornate plates product, ornate frame Bigz Die, old-fashioned Christmas Stamps set

OH MY!!!! I just lOve tim hOltz! Your choice to create or gift your partner something from the “O” choices or something Oval shaped

L

Layering Stencils, layers, liquids (paints, stains, alcohol inks), linen ribbon

Using a Canvas or an extra-large tag, create layers on the surface using TH layering stencils, liquids and tie off with a linen ribbon (TIP: TH Sept. 2013 Tag uses stencils and paste)

T

TH anything, TH techniques

Your choice of any project that uses his products or his techniques or gift your partner a TH product

Z

stampZ; TH Alterations Sizzix BigZ dies

Your choice of either creating a project using either TH stampz or Bigz dies OR supplying your Partner with a goodie bag of stamped images and diecuts (TH products)

Instead of spoiling your partner right before Christmas with a stocking of goodies, we'll delay it a month and really spoil each other with nothing but Tim Holtz inspired treats and projects!

Edited by user Monday, March 31, 2014 6:10:18 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

ScrappinGwen Offline
#2 Posted : Tuesday, September 17, 2013 7:26:09 AM(UTC)
ScrappinGwen

United States

The following Rules should be well known by experienced swappers, but here they are as a friendly reminder to all:

1. If you have flaked in a swap, please do not ask to join us. Absolutely no one wants to worry or stress over the possibility that they will be flaked on, especially when it's a high end or above average swap such as this swap.

1A. If you need to be removed from the swap, then please notify me ASAP so that an angel can be found. Warning: if you ask to be removed from the swap any time after December 15th, you will automatically be added to my Flaker List which will most likely affect your future swapping.

2. By signing up, you have agreed to participate; follow the rules; and follow the directives. You are acknowledging that you are a responsible adult and I expect you to act accordingly. And forget about using any silly excuses on me.

3. Checking in every two weeks is REQUIRED. I get busy too and just ask you to stop by and say hello and answer questions that may be asked throughout the week. Of course, we all know that daily chitchat makes for a much more fun swap! A little teasing and fun back and forth banter goes a long ways here! Plus it just may help your partner to know you better and come up with some pretty neat ideas to make you! If you want an awesome partner with an awesome box being sent out you have to chat and answer questions and have a very informative MQ filled out. Common sense, right?

Starting the first week of January, 2014, I will ask for more frequent updates to help keep you all on track as the Due Date nears.

3A. If you have not checked in within a 14 day time period, I will try contacting you thru your other email or text number. I will give you about 3 days to respond. If I have reason to believe you are not completing the swap, then I will have no choice but to remove you and find a replacement swapper. This may seem harsh but part of my duty as hostess is to take care of my swappers and make sure they get what they signed up for.

So if you know you are going to be away, please just let me know so I don’t think you've disappeared.

Please realize that no hostess is ever trying to be mean, or show lack of understanding or sympathy. It is absolutely no fun to have to put on the hostess hat and list someone as a flaker. But it's our duty to insure everyone receives a timely swap box. This eliminates stress for all of us.

4. Your MQ coordinates must be listed under your avatar. (Please make sure your MQ is updated)

5. MAIL ON TIME! All swap boxes must be mailed by Monday, March 17th. If you find yourself done ahead of schedule, you can start mailing anytime from February 1st, on.

6. Please PM, or email me, or text me the DC# once mailed.

7. Once you receive your items, please acknowledge receipt and post pictures in a timely manner.

8. Part of the fun of being a hostess (for me) is matching up partners. If you’ve been partnered with someone plenty of times this past year, then please let me know ahead of time so that I can match you up with a new experience!

9. Please PM me your mailing address as well as an alternative way to contact you – ie: email addy or cell phone number. Thanks!

10. Please remember that communication is key in swaps and really helps your hostess to do a better job and be less stressful.

11. Just remember that we all want to receive quality work as well as receive everything instructed to be made in this swap. Please do not think it is okay to send only 4 items when 8 directives were given out. And please remember that if you yourself would not be happy to receive what you have just made, then please don’t send it on to your partner. There are so many helpful people on this Message Board and in this swap forum who will gladly offer ideas, suggestions, links, etc. when asked. That is half the fun of swapping – showing each other new ideas, new techniques, new discoveries!

12. Now let's have some fun and make Tim Holtz real proud of us!

Edited by user Sunday, February 23, 2014 5:09:11 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

ScrappinGwen Offline
#3 Posted : Tuesday, September 17, 2013 7:27:14 AM(UTC)
ScrappinGwen

United States

Players:

Warning: I don't want to hurt feelings but this swap requires crafting knowledge and use of Tim Holtz products and techniques. If you don't already have a nice start on his products in your stash, then this swap is not for you as it would be too expensive for you to gather up all that you would need in such short notice.

You must be willing to research his techniques, watch his videos, surf the blogs that he often mentions within his own blog and duplicate or scraplift his ideas and techniques.

Your projects should be rated slightly above average to definitely above average. Extra embellishing is required when using his techniques and products.

If you are up to the challenge, then welcome and have fun!

1. scrappingwen rcvd and pics posted
2. bklynborn rcvd and pics posted
3. JeanP rcvd and pics posted
4. planlady19 recvd and pics posted
5. DeniseEmmerich rcvd and pics posted
6. Maria2193 rcvd and pics posted
7. SUNFLOWERSKYESec6f9fbb rcvd and pics posted
8. Beanies mom rcvd and pics posted
9. KSQueenB rcvd and pics posted
10. CMC56 replaced with LoriSjogren rcvd and pics posted

Partner Pairings:

scrappingwen and Maria2193
Bklynborn and Beaniesmom
JeanP and planlady19
Planlady19 and JeanP
DeniseEmmerich and Sunflowerskye
Maria2193 and scrappingwen
SUNFLOWERSKYE and DeniseEmmerich
Beaniesmom and Bklynborn
KSQueenB and LoriSjogren
LoriSjogren and KSQueenB

Edited by user Monday, March 31, 2014 2:51:00 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

ScrappinGwen Offline
#4 Posted : Tuesday, September 17, 2013 7:28:23 AM(UTC)
ScrappinGwen

United States

Questions:
ScrappinGwen Offline
#5 Posted : Tuesday, September 17, 2013 7:29:25 AM(UTC)
ScrappinGwen

United States

Reserved for Me
bklynborn Offline
#6 Posted : Tuesday, September 17, 2013 8:06:40 AM(UTC)
bklynborn

United States

Was thanked: 139 time(s) in 132 post(s)
looks like a lot of things out of my comfort zone. but also a great way to use and try new products. so if your willing for a newbie on most of these things.Confused I would loveLove to join.

bb
ScrappinGwen Offline
#7 Posted : Tuesday, September 17, 2013 8:24:06 AM(UTC)
ScrappinGwen

United States

Jeri, you are very capable and experienced enough for this swap! You are not a newbie!

And yes, we all need a kick in the pants to start using all this TH stash we keep collecting!

Yes, you do see a lot of grunge or steampunk or masculine in his projects but other gals on their blogs are making these mixed media canvases or extra-large tags in beautiful blues and green and using stencils and that molding paste for added dimension, then stamping a flower and lovely verse on them, etc. So it doesn't have to be all browns and grunge to use his products. HE has bright colored paints, inks, glitter, etc. too! lol

And thinking outside the box is allowed in many of the directives. Some are very specific, ie a tag, a card, a canvas, but others are left wide open for interpretation so you can challenge yourself to attempt something of his you find on tutorials, blogs, etc.

JeanP Offline
#8 Posted : Tuesday, September 17, 2013 9:19:08 AM(UTC)
JeanP

United States

Was thanked: 968 time(s) in 780 post(s)
LOVE the idea of this swap!!!!! I have attempted a couple of his tags and did do a configurations box that I had a blast putting together.

I don't like all of his stuff but I do like all the colors he has and his videos make it look easy!!!!

I can't wait to get my TH stencils and stamps that I have on order!!!!
I also want to try some of his new fabrics!!!

Sign me up pleaseBigGrin

Edited by user Tuesday, September 17, 2013 11:58:22 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

ScrappinGwen Offline
#9 Posted : Tuesday, September 17, 2013 9:54:24 AM(UTC)
ScrappinGwen

United States

I loved doing up a config tray this summer!

and I've been collecting supplies in order to attempt a mixed media project or canvas. I've seen so many pretty ones on blogs.

SO that's why I want to do this swap!

Plus I want a reason to use some of these blueprint images I've collected and I want to dirty up some metal stuff and use on a project.

It's going to be the easiest and the hardest swap I've ever done! Easy cuz I want to use all these products and have all these ideas saved in a file...but maybe hard cuz now I have to actually implement these techniques and see if I can pull off some magic like all these other designers do - using his products! lol

It's a good challenge for us all! Hands down!
DeniseE Offline
#10 Posted : Tuesday, September 17, 2013 9:57:49 AM(UTC)
DeniseE

United States

Was thanked: 341 time(s) in 308 post(s)
I am up for a TH challenge, I am taking his CC 102 class.

Denise
ScrappinGwen Offline
#11 Posted : Tuesday, September 17, 2013 10:40:51 AM(UTC)
ScrappinGwen

United States

Originally Posted by: DeniseEmmerich Go to Quoted Post

Denise

Lucky you!!!

And we will expect to see you put that knowledge to work in this swap! lol

1 user thanked ScrappinGwen for this useful post.
DeniseE on 9/18/2013(UTC)
JeanP Offline
#12 Posted : Tuesday, September 17, 2013 11:57:40 AM(UTC)
JeanP

United States

Originally Posted by: DeniseEmmerich Go to Quoted Post

Denise

I wanted to do that but I won't be here for itCrying Plus they say you had to have teaken his CC 101 first.

Bummer!!!!!!
 1 user thanked JeanP for this useful post.
DeniseE on 9/18/2013(UTC)
planlady19 Offline
#13 Posted : Tuesday, September 17, 2013 1:36:03 PM(UTC)
planlady19

United States

Was thanked: 284 time(s) in 266 post(s)
I am in..

Now another reason to get some of the stencils..

Terri
planlady19 Offline
#14 Posted : Tuesday, September 17, 2013 1:38:00 PM(UTC)
planlady19

United States

Originally Posted by: JeanP Go to Quoted Post
I wanted to do that but I won't be here for itCrying Plus they say you had to have teaken his CC 101 first.

Bummer!!!!!!

Jean I think if you just go and pay for the first class then you get a download on the class techniques which you probably already know. Ask Kelley she is doing it and she did not take the first class.

Terri
 1 user thanked planlady19 for this useful post.
JeanP on 9/17/2013(UTC)
CraftyOldBat Offline
#15 Posted : Tuesday, September 17, 2013 2:42:35 PM(UTC)
CraftyOldBat

United States
Location: Massachusetts MQ Pg 9 Post # 247 Swap Questionnaire Pg 1 Post #8

Was thanked: 414 time(s) in 344 post(s)
I also already took CC101. The classes there are either Interactive if you take them "live" or Independent if you take them after the fact. The only advantages to taking them live is that you can ask questions in the forums, share your work and possibly win a prize in the giveaways. Taking them independently is sometimes a little cheaper but you get all the same material(videos & pdfs), you can read the forums and look at the gallery and you have lifetime access. So essentially you can pay for 101 so you can get the code to join 102 and then do them both at your leisure. I'm guessing they'll keep 102 as and Independent class just like they've done with all the others so there's probably no rush to decide...
 2 users thanked CraftyOldBat for this useful post.
JeanP on 9/17/2013(UTC), DeniseE on 9/18/2013(UTC)
heaven43338 Offline
#16 Posted : Tuesday, September 17, 2013 3:51:18 PM(UTC)
heaven43338

Was thanked: 75 time(s) in 69 post(s)
Hmmm not sure I know what all those products are, for example
what is a TH trinket? Is that one of those pretty crystals embellies?
ScrappinGwen Offline
#17 Posted : Tuesday, September 17, 2013 4:12:01 PM(UTC)
ScrappinGwen

United States

trinket pin is that safety pin of his....brown bronze color....not shiny silver. I think there is a little word imprinted on the head of the pin.

You know what it is, you just don't recognize the name! lol

I went through an online store's products pages for Tim Holtz (marco paper) looking for items that started with the letters that spell out his name. So that's how I came across it and then also realized he often uses one to finish off where his ribbon ties onto the tag hole. Thus why I added it under the T stuff.

ScrappinGwen Offline
#18 Posted : Tuesday, September 17, 2013 4:20:27 PM(UTC)
ScrappinGwen

United States

I don't mean to be an enabler....but...

After reading about some of you signing up for his class, I decided to join too! So I just quickly reviewed what was taught in his 101 class and it's pretty basic - what we've been watching him do on tutorials if you pay any attention at all to his blog or his monthly tags, etc.

So then I logged into new class coming up and reviewed the supplies list. I have the majority of the supplies, luckily. And the few items I'm guessing might be handy to have on hand for his classes, like the #8tags, I know I can buy locally. So that makes me feel better! Put some coupons to some good use.

and it looks like what he will be teaching will be very useful or informative and fun, with some newer products or expanding more on others. I'm sure hoping the classes will help us get the most out of his products! It's otherwise a shame to keep collecting his products and then not know how to use them! lol
bklynborn Offline
#19 Posted : Tuesday, September 17, 2013 4:32:55 PM(UTC)
bklynborn

United States

Was thanked: 139 time(s) in 132 post(s)
Crying time is not on my side for taking this class. everyone enjoy. looked in my timmy draw. and have some of the items. have a great nite everyone.

bb
maria2193 Offline
#20 Posted : Tuesday, September 17, 2013 4:48:06 PM(UTC)
maria2193

Was thanked: 119 time(s) in 115 post(s)
Still on my break, but I'm loving this one and the time frame, so with that being said... You can totally count me in!!BigGrin
JeanP Offline
#21 Posted : Tuesday, September 17, 2013 5:10:45 PM(UTC)
JeanP

United States

Originally Posted by: CraftyOldBat Go to Quoted Post
I also already took CC101. The classes there are either Interactive if you take them "live" or Independent if you take them after the fact. The only advantages to taking them live is that you can ask questions in the forums, share your work and possibly win a prize in the giveaways. Taking them independently is sometimes a little cheaper but you get all the same material(videos & pdfs), you can read the forums and look at the gallery and you have lifetime access. So essentially you can pay for 101 so you can get the code to join 102 and then do them both at your leisure. I'm guessing they'll keep 102 as and Independent class just like they've done with all the others so there's probably no rush to decide...

So that mean you know how to do his techniques so you can to join us hereLove Love Love

The due date is AFTER the holidays you knowBigGrin Plus you can make some duplicates to use for this swap and the Christmas one!!!

ScrappinGwen Offline
#22 Posted : Tuesday, September 17, 2013 5:17:32 PM(UTC)
ScrappinGwen

United States

Like Jean said above....I purposely chose the holiday directive so that if you invest in any of his new xmas products coming out....you can get more mileage out of them by using them in the TH swap too. You can even think to make duplicates this next month as you work on the holiday swaps.

For the most part, you don't really need to know who your partner is just yet...as this swap is all about using TH products and practicing his techniques or finding ways to use the stash you've collected more so then trying to gear totally around your partner's tastes.

You wouldn't be joining this swap if you didn't like TH stuff to start with....
lauraa Offline
#23 Posted : Wednesday, September 18, 2013 6:30:07 AM(UTC)
lauraa

Was thanked: 233 time(s) in 196 post(s)
I love TH but don't have many of his products. I'll be watching this thread eagerly awaiting the results.

I'm assuming you can take these online classes through his blog?
Laura
sharlenescrafts Offline
#24 Posted : Wednesday, September 18, 2013 7:50:05 AM(UTC)
sharlenescrafts

Was thanked: 10 time(s) in 10 post(s)
I have found that I am addicted to TH. So I will think on this one and let you know.

Sharlene
CraftyOldBat Offline
#25 Posted : Wednesday, September 18, 2013 8:26:38 AM(UTC)
CraftyOldBat

United States

So what's the big deal over Tim's Layering Stencils? If you ask me he's coming into the stencil market pretty late! I've got a dozen 6x6 stencils from The Crafter's Workshop, that are pretty much the same designs and cheaper, that I've been using on tags & stuff all along. Is there something about HIS that are different or is everyone just going gaga BECAUSE they are his..?
CraftyOldBat Offline
#26 Posted : Wednesday, September 18, 2013 8:29:11 AM(UTC)
CraftyOldBat

United States

Originally Posted by: lauraa Go to Quoted Post

I'm assuming you can take these online classes through his blog?
Laura

http://www.onlinecardclasses.com/
 1 user thanked CraftyOldBat for this useful post.
lauraa on 9/18/2013(UTC)
JeanP Offline
#27 Posted : Wednesday, September 18, 2013 8:47:53 AM(UTC)
JeanP

United States

Originally Posted by: CraftyOldBat Go to Quoted Post
So what's the big deal over Tim's Layering Stencils? If you ask me he's coming into the stencil market pretty late! I've got a dozen 6x6 stencils from The Crafter's Workshop, that are pretty much the same designs and cheaper, that I've been using on tags & stuff all along. Is there something about HIS that are different or is everyone just going gaga BECAUSE they are his..?

Good question Sharon!!!!

Now you tell meLOL LOL LOL Only KiddingLove

For me, I never gave stencils much thought until I saw these of his. I would have bought from somewhere else if they were cheaper and I knew about them. I do have few 6X6 ones that I use with chalks on cards but again never gave a thought to using them with inks, paints or textures. Don't know whyBlushing Blushing

I figure that I can still use all Tim's techniques and ideas no matter where I get my materials.BigGrin

I only buy what I like and I do like some of his things but don't care for others. Distress embossing powder does NOTHING for me but I like his new Blueprint stamps.

I am not one of those people that has to have everything TH!!!!

I am looking forward to trying some of his cloth thoughBigGrin Maybe just some swatches.

planlady19 Offline
#28 Posted : Wednesday, September 18, 2013 10:41:42 AM(UTC)
planlady19

United States

Jean i don't like the distress embossing power either. Every I use it I am afraid it is all going to crumble off. LOL LOL

I like most of his things but not all. I don't have any stencils other then things I have made from my cricut myself.. but have found that some of the material is not as durable as some of the bought stencils so I am looking forward to getting just a couple of them for use on tags, backgrounds and such..

I am not sure about the blueprint stamps,but there is a snowman one that i will probably get..

Terri
JeanP Offline
#29 Posted : Wednesday, September 18, 2013 12:28:51 PM(UTC)
JeanP

United States

Originally Posted by: planlady19 Go to Quoted Post
Jean i don't like the distress embossing power either. Every I use it I am afraid it is all going to crumble off. LOL LOL

I like most of his things but not all. I don't have any stencils other then things I have made from my cricut myself.. but have found that some of the material is not as durable as some of the bought stencils so I am looking forward to getting just a couple of them for use on tags, backgrounds and such..

I am not sure about the blueprint stamps,but there is a snowman one that i will probably get..

Terri

I bought 3 sets of his stamps. I do like the snowman and love the time travelers(gift from Denise)
Here are some pics. All are experimental using heat embossing on Kraft paper. Snowman is colored in places. On one time traveler, I used chunky EB powder and I pop-dotted him. The other guy is just regular black EP and then I stamped with my dirty versamark pad around the edges and used clear EP there. It picked up some of the ink from the pad!!!! I like how that one came out but I bet I can't do the same thing again!!!!

JeanP attached the following image(s):
IMG_0099.JPG
IMG_0101.JPG
IMG_0100.JPG
DeniseE Offline
#30 Posted : Wednesday, September 18, 2013 4:57:06 PM(UTC)
DeniseE

United States

Was thanked: 341 time(s) in 308 post(s)
Originally Posted by: ScrappinGwen Go to Quoted Post
I don't mean to be an enabler....but...

After reading about some of you signing up for his class, I decided to join too! So I just quickly reviewed what was taught in his 101 class and it's pretty basic - what we've been watching him do on tutorials if you pay any attention at all to his blog or his monthly tags, etc.

So then I logged into new class coming up and reviewed the supplies list. I have the majority of the supplies, luckily. And the few items I'm guessing might be handy to have on hand for his classes, like the #8tags, I know I can buy locally. So that makes me feel better! Put some coupons to some good use.

and it looks like what he will be teaching will be very useful or informative and fun, with some newer products or expanding more on others. I'm sure hoping the classes will help us get the most out of his products! It's otherwise a shame to keep collecting his products and then not know how to use them! lol

What supplies I do not have, my dh is giving them to me for my birthday on Monday. Sad to say I have more TH than I realized and do not need much for the class. I can not wait for the class, personally. I get a lot of ideas from his blog and videos, just need to implement them more. I think what bothers me is that I like a clean look and that is not TH. So onward and upward and out of my comfort zone.

Denise