Flag
  • Sign In
  • 0 items
  • Search
Welcome Guest! Please login to enable all features.

Notification

Icon
Error

15 Pages<1234>»
DeniseE Offline
#31 Posted : Wednesday, September 18, 2013 4:59:27 PM(UTC)
DeniseE

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 323 time(s) in 296 post(s)
Originally Posted by: JeanP Go to Quoted Post
I bought 3 sets of his stamps. I do like the snowman and love the time travelers(gift from Denise)
Here are some pics. All are experimental using heat embossing on Kraft paper. Snowman is colored in places. On one time traveler, I used chunky EB powder and I pop-dotted him. The other guy is just regular black EP and then I stamped with my dirty versamark pad around the edges and used clear EP there. It picked up some of the ink from the pad!!!! I like how that one came out but I bet I can't do the same thing again!!!!

Jean, I love how you did them all. I too love the Time Travelers, they are my go to stamps for male cards. is there a tutorial for embossing around the edge?

Denise
maria2193 Offline
#32 Posted : Wednesday, September 18, 2013 5:36:00 PM(UTC)
maria2193

Was thanked: 119 time(s) in 115 post(s)

I only buy what I like and I do like some of his things but don't care for others. Distress embossing powder does NOTHING for me but I like his new Blueprint stamps.

I am not one of those people that has to have everything TH!!!!

I am looking forward to trying some of his cloth thoughBigGrin Maybe just some swatches.

Originally Posted by: planlady19 Go to Quoted Post
Jean i don't like the distress embossing power either. Every I use it I am afraid it is all going to crumble off. LOL LOL

Terri

I'm curious, why don't you ladies like the TH embossing powders?
I have only used the black EP and loved it, so I just bought some more online. I have not used any other color so I'm now not sure what to expect. Did I make a bad purchase?Scared

Maria
planlady19 Offline
#33 Posted : Wednesday, September 18, 2013 6:29:51 PM(UTC)
planlady19

United States

Was thanked: 274 time(s) in 257 post(s)
Maria I don't think you made a bad purchase.. I just have not had any luck when I use this product. It could be just me but I really need to play around with it more to maybe feel more comfortable with it. I have to remember that I have not been using ep that long.. Gwen made me do it so I am still in the learning curve area.

I am looking at his classes just trying to see if I can figure out time to set aside for them.

Terri
 1 user thanked planlady19 for this useful post.
maria2193 on 9/18/2013(UTC)
ScrappinGwen Offline
#34 Posted : Wednesday, September 18, 2013 7:38:17 PM(UTC)
ScrappinGwen

United States

Was thanked: 658 time(s) in 537 post(s)
TH EP is just so different from other embossing powders as it's suppose to look distressed and rough. Not shiny and melted looking, like what we are used to.

And it's hard to tell if you have it heated up enough to insure it will stay stuck to the paper. lol

I quite often just use his crackle paint on the edges of projects just to get some distress look to it. I know that will stay stuck on.

I have no idea if his EP works better if you use his sticky ink instead of the versamark pad. I'll have to try his pad the next time to see if it makes a difference.

COB, I think the only difference with his stencils are that they are long and rectangle instead of squares! lol

If mine would ever arrive, I'd give you a better review!

I've also bought some of My Favorite Things stencils and they are well made and cheap enough too.

Every year some product is the new fad and it appears to be stencils and mixed media projects this past several months. It never ends....though my pocketbook is getting mighty empty!

I know we are so gaga over Tim Holtz, but one thing I can say for the guy is that he stays busy and shares his love of art every day with us. Does he ever sleep? He just always seems to be so nice and so happy and he doesn't disappear on us or leave us hanging like some of the other scrapbook venues do. I just appreciate him so much. He makes it easy to want to buy his products.

And he isn't even charging big bucks for this Oct. class. He makes it affordable and I have to appreciate that too.
 1 user thanked ScrappinGwen for this useful post.
maria2193 on 9/18/2013(UTC)
maria2193 Offline
#35 Posted : Wednesday, September 18, 2013 8:14:40 PM(UTC)
maria2193

Thanks, that's a relief, lol. I actually liked that it didn't shine, but then again it was black and on a Halloween project.

Gwen, when we do these projects, can we add other products to it or is it strictly TH?
ScrappinGwen Offline
#36 Posted : Thursday, September 19, 2013 4:03:33 AM(UTC)
ScrappinGwen

United States

Originally Posted by: maria2193 Go to Quoted Post
Thanks, that's a relief, lol. I actually liked that it didn't shine, but then again it was black and on a Halloween project.

Gwen, when we do these projects, can we add other products to it or is it strictly TH?

Of course you can use other products.....just keep in mind that the point of doing this swap is to use TH products or techniques....so the majority of the project should remind you of Tim Holtz in some way.

I'm guessing that the mixed media canvas is one project that could or will take on a different look and not be his style. That's okay.....but you will probably use his paints or inks on the background and some stenciling, etc. Or you should at least embellish with one of his different idea-ology embellishments or trinkets, etc.

And I honestly don't care what brand of stencil you use! His or others....I just want us all to attempt to do some stenciling and see what we come up with. I love what I see on blogs lately. But will my own project look as nice? who knows! lol

I'm just asking everyone to play fair and make honest attempt to follow the directives. It wouldn't be fair that some have invested in his products and are willing to use them on projects, only to receive a swap box in return with no return of investment.

Like I said in first posts....you must have a true interest in his products and/or techniques. This is not a swap for newbies who are clueless about Tim Holtz.

maria2193 Offline
#37 Posted : Thursday, September 19, 2013 8:01:43 AM(UTC)
maria2193

Well that is good to know, lol...

I have many TH products, but maybe put a quarter of it to use, so I'm loving the challenge! I don't know what TH tricks I will pull out of the hat or how they will work, but it will definitely be fun trying, if I'm not crying, lol.LOL
JeanP Offline
#38 Posted : Thursday, September 19, 2013 8:55:23 AM(UTC)
JeanP

United States

Was thanked: 830 time(s) in 682 post(s)
Originally Posted by: DeniseEmmerich Go to Quoted Post
Jean, I love how you did them all. I too love the Time Travelers, they are my go to stamps for male cards. is there a tutorial for embossing around the edge?

Denise

This was just something I tried on my own. It actually came out nice but no two will be the same I am sure!!!

I have 1 versamark ink pad that I use with only BLACK ink. This is saved for when I use my clear embossing powder. If you are doing a bunch of stamping, you use your stamp on the versamark and then the black ink, it tends to make the versamark pad black.
I just took a small piece of sponge and tapped my versamark pad(it picked up some versamark and black ink) and sponged around the edge a little in no specific amount or area. I then added clear embossing powder. Some places stayed clear and others came out black.
This was done on kraft paper so I have no idea what it would look like on other cardstock.

Just play aroundBigGrin

JeanP Offline
#39 Posted : Thursday, September 19, 2013 8:58:18 AM(UTC)
JeanP

United States

I'm curious, why don't you ladies like the TH embossing powders?
I have only used the black EP and loved it, so I just bought some more online. I have not used any other color so I'm now not sure what to expect. Did I make a bad purchase?Scared

Maria

I think I agree with Gwynne about the Distress EP.
I can't tell when I have heated it enough and I don't want to burn anything either. I know you are supposed to rub it after it has cooled to give it the distressed look. I do have a few so maybe if I used it on the right application, I might like it betterBigGrin

1 user thanked JeanP for this useful post.
maria2193 on 9/19/2013(UTC)
KelleyRooks Offline
#40 Posted : Thursday, September 19, 2013 3:37:50 PM(UTC)
KelleyRooks

Was thanked: 529 time(s) in 432 post(s)
Looks like a great swap. Cannot wait to see what you all come up with. I will probably play and dabble on the sidelines BigGrin

Distressed EP

Maria - to answer your previous question. I don't think that they are a waste of money. I am a grunge girl, so I love the effect. If you like the more matte look, then you will probably love them. They are a bit different than regular ep, but once you get used to them I am sure you will love them. For me, I don't usually emboss images. I use them to put a grungy "frame" onto the edges if my piece, to impress images on, more for texture purposes. (It wasn't using distress ep, but I think she used chunky which is another one of my faves - Jean made an awesome cover to her domino book using layers of embossing powder that would fit into this style that was AMAZING)Drool

Shake the jar before using to mix particles in Distress EP. Gwynne you are right, Distress EP does not get shiny when heated. At most, it will slightly change in color. Unlike regular EP, you can't overheat it. Heat, cool, then touch with your fingers - the texture tells you when it is done. It should feel like sand paper. You can heat it more if needed. To distress rub away some of the particles (do not reuse them). Timmy has some cool techniques using these. You can use a colored ink underneath if you don't want the color of your project to show through.

Have fun everyone - KBigGrin

Edited by user Thursday, September 19, 2013 3:43:42 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

1 user thanked KelleyRooks for this useful post.
maria2193 on 9/19/2013(UTC)
maria2193 Offline
#41 Posted : Thursday, September 19, 2013 8:23:12 PM(UTC)
maria2193

I like the regular EP's and especially the chunky EP's, but it will be nice to have some matte finishes for EP's too. I'm still awaiting them to come to me by mail, we'll see how it works out.
Thanks all!Smile
JeanP Offline
#42 Posted : Saturday, September 21, 2013 10:00:09 AM(UTC)
JeanP

United States

I went WAY out of my comfort zone when I went to Tim's class where we did the configurations book. I still don't care for some of his eclectic elements(doll with no arms) but lots of his other stuff is great.
I did have lots of fun and now I don't mind getting "down & dirty". LOL LOL

I have been watching videos and checking out all his tags on his blog.
I think I want to use a different technique for each directive.

I can do this!!!!!!
SUNFLOWERSKYESec6f9fbb Offline
#43 Posted : Saturday, September 21, 2013 10:33:57 AM(UTC)
SUNFLOWERSKYESec6f9fbb

Was thanked: 33 time(s) in 33 post(s)
Just love anything TIM. Please sign me up.
Thanks,
Rita
ScrappinGwen Offline
#44 Posted : Saturday, September 21, 2013 12:20:32 PM(UTC)
ScrappinGwen

United States

I think it's fun to try and duplicate many of his tutorials and/or tags, etc. I think he does a pretty good job at explaining his products. And there are other blogs I Like to follow that also do a nice job of step by step tutorials.

Eventually, we'll have to get a list going of blogs to check out. I believe Kelley listed a few in one of her swaps this summer too.

I was as J's today and they got in some of his new line of material finally! I was excited to see that. It's so darn expensive though! Even on sale it's still pretty pricey! lol I can't wait to see some projects by his designers to see what all they are coming up with.
JeanP Offline
#45 Posted : Saturday, September 21, 2013 12:32:27 PM(UTC)
JeanP

United States

I also like Words and Pictures
Beanies Mom Offline
#46 Posted : Saturday, September 21, 2013 2:05:24 PM(UTC)
Beanies Mom

United States
Location: MQ: Page 15 Post 431 / Joined Date Should Be 7/13/2006

Was thanked: 71 time(s) in 70 post(s)
Gwynne I would love to join the Timmy swap. I discovered that I am going thru swap withdrawal. Lol

Debbie
CMC56 Offline
#47 Posted : Saturday, September 21, 2013 2:46:12 PM(UTC)
CMC56

United States

Was thanked: 41 time(s) in 41 post(s)
Gwynne I am thinking on this one. I have lots of TH products and I just ordered one of the blueprint stamps. I love TH but everything I try to make from his blog does not turn out looking as nice and put together as his. I need to do some more practicing.

Cheryl
planlady19 Offline
#48 Posted : Saturday, September 21, 2013 3:04:03 PM(UTC)
planlady19

United States

Originally Posted by: CMC56 Go to Quoted Post
Gwynne I am thinking on this one. I have lots of TH products and I just ordered one of the blueprint stamps. I love TH but everything I try to make from his blog does not turn out looking as nice and put together as his. I need to do some more practicing.

Cheryl

Mine never turns at like his but remember it is your own spin on things. I hope they don't have to look exact or I am in trouble.. Go ahead and jump in it is the only way we are ever going to make ourselves do it..

Terri
CraftyOldBat Offline
#49 Posted : Saturday, September 21, 2013 3:39:10 PM(UTC)
CraftyOldBat

United States

Was thanked: 399 time(s) in 334 post(s)
Mine never turns at like his but remember it is your own spin on things. I hope they don't have to look exact or I am in trouble.. Go ahead and jump in it is the only way we are ever going to make ourselves do it..

Terri

Exactly and I'm not a really grungy girl, so I don't even care for the end result of some of his stuff. But I can do what I like using his stuff and teaching methods.
ScrappinGwen Offline
#50 Posted : Saturday, September 21, 2013 4:19:35 PM(UTC)
ScrappinGwen

United States

I also like Words and Pictures

Me too!

JeanP Offline
#51 Posted : Saturday, September 21, 2013 4:21:48 PM(UTC)
JeanP

United States

Terri

Originally Posted by: CraftyOldBat Go to Quoted Post
Exactly and I'm not a really grungy girl, so I don't even care for the end result of some of his stuff. But I can do what I like using his stuff and teaching methods.

I am like you both!!! I don't like some of the things he does and I don't usually get the same end results he does either. LOL

Most of the time though, I like what I makeBigGrin I have also thrown some things in the trashBlushing

ScrappinGwen Offline
#52 Posted : Saturday, September 21, 2013 4:24:45 PM(UTC)
ScrappinGwen

United States

Cheryl, just join! lol

It will be a fun way to make January go by fast!

Other blogs I love:

stamptramp

Under A Creative Spell - and I think it's this one that is the perfect example of she uses his paints and sprays for her backgrounds, but then moves on to other stuff too. She uses the stencils often too. And she stamps on her projects often with floral type of stamps. So she always catches my attention!

1 user thanked ScrappinGwen for this useful post.
JeanP on 9/21/2013(UTC)
heaven43338 Offline
#53 Posted : Sunday, September 22, 2013 6:43:50 AM(UTC)
heaven43338

Was thanked: 74 time(s) in 68 post(s)
Originally Posted by: heaven43338 Go to Quoted Post
Hmmm not sure I know what all those products are, for example
what is a TH trinket? Is that one of those pretty crystals embellies?

I am tempted by this swap, not signing up for many these days.
But worried that I am not too practiced at TH styles, does this mean it has to be
grungy stye or can a more vintage style also be used. Sorry to be such a dunce about
these techniques and products. I like TH but I only have some of his stuff, so let me know
before you close and I'll try and check out your req's and the TH stuff needed and see
if I can make this work without spending allot of money on new stuff.

JeanP Offline
#54 Posted : Sunday, September 22, 2013 6:56:43 AM(UTC)
JeanP

United States

Originally Posted by: heaven43338 Go to Quoted Post
I am tempted by this swap, not signing up for many these days.
But worried that I am not too practiced at TH styles, does this mean it has to be
grungy stye or can a more vintage style also be used. Sorry to be such a dunce about
these techniques and products. I like TH but I only have some of his stuff, so let me know
before you close and I'll try and check out your req's and the TH stuff needed and see
if I can make this work without spending allot of money on new stuff.

Go to his blog and click on his tags. He shows all different techniques using his products.
Also watch his videos.
He has added lots of colors to his line of products so it is not all grunge.

1 user thanked JeanP for this useful post.
heaven43338 on 9/22/2013(UTC)
planlady19 Offline
#55 Posted : Sunday, September 22, 2013 11:06:16 AM(UTC)
planlady19

United States

Go to his blog and click on his tags. He shows all different techniques using his products.
Also watch his videos.
He has added lots of colors to his line of products so it is not all grunge.

i love that he is branching out into other non grungy colors as I call them.. You can use the same techniques and give it a vintage or shabby chic look.

terri
ScrappinGwen Offline
#56 Posted : Sunday, September 22, 2013 12:39:39 PM(UTC)
ScrappinGwen

United States

I heard from peachy today! I almost forgot to post that!

Yesterday was Kiko's bday! She's super busy with work and still crafting, just not swapping. and, btw, they moved into a bigger home too.

She said she'd try to pop in and say Hi!

And she had been spying on the swaps this year, checking out how well we are all doing. She said she was tempted more then once to join one of Kelley's monthly swaps, but just knew she shouldn't, due to workload.

And I always remember her saying how when she was at one of TH's workshops....how he had a special interest in how she used his products, but went with different color scheme instead of the muddy grungy stuff. So maybe we can give peachy some credit to getting that lightbulb to go off in his head that he could offer other colors too! lol Terri's post above, made me think of that conversation way back when.
maria2193 Offline
#57 Posted : Sunday, September 22, 2013 5:24:43 PM(UTC)
maria2193

Well I decided to play around with some of his techniques today and OH BOY do I need help, lol. It's not as easy as it looks!! Some tags came out really nice but others, lets just say YUCK!! I found you can not wet the tags too much because it ruins them, much to learn when it comes to stains and haven't messed with the alcohol inks yet. Everything else is a go, just need to figure out more on the color combo's of what works best.

All in all, I had fun, I think everyone should just keep in mind, including myself, that if a tag, card or whatever doesn't look as perfect as we would like, adding embellishments may change the overall look, it's worth a try anyway. Probably be a while before a dabble around some more of his techniques, but I will be doing some research here and there... who knows, maybe I will wind up taking his classes... to be determined!!!!!Unsure
ScrappinGwen Offline
#58 Posted : Sunday, September 22, 2013 5:29:53 PM(UTC)
ScrappinGwen

United States

congrats to you to take the incentive to start practicing and experimenting! Only way to learn!
JeanP Offline
#59 Posted : Sunday, September 22, 2013 6:48:49 PM(UTC)
JeanP

United States

Well I decided to play around with some of his techniques today and OH BOY do I need help, lol. It's not as easy as it looks!! Some tags came out really nice but others, lets just say YUCK!! I found you can not wet the tags too much because it ruins them, much to learn when it comes to stains and haven't messed with the alcohol inks yet. Everything else is a go, just need to figure out more on the color combo's of what works best.

All in all, I had fun, I think everyone should just keep in mind, including myself, that if a tag, card or whatever doesn't look as perfect as we would like, adding embellishments may change the overall look, it's worth a try anyway. Probably be a while before a dabble around some more of his techniques, but I will be doing some research here and there... who knows, maybe I will wind up taking his classes... to be determined!!!!!Unsure

I remember Kelley telling me not to throw something away if I don't like it. Set it aside and come back to it later. You may just need to add something to it and it will be perfect!!!!!

I have done that a couple times BUT I have also thrown stuff away because it looked really badBigGrin BigGrin

JeanP Offline
#60 Posted : Sunday, September 22, 2013 6:49:52 PM(UTC)
JeanP

United States

Originally Posted by: ScrappinGwen Go to Quoted Post
congrats to you to take the incentive to start practicing and experimenting! Only way to learn!

I learn something new everyday when I check his blog and othersBigGrin BigGrin