Flag
  • Sign In
  • 0 items
  • Search
Welcome Guest! Please login to enable all features.

Notification

Icon
Error

jennihegman5ef20934 Offline
#1 Posted : Thursday, September 26, 2013 9:48:31 PM(UTC)
jennihegman5ef20934

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I found a workaround for the Missing ink cartridge message. Like many I have had the issue where I have this message displayed and cannot do anything. First off this is a poor design not allowing you to cut when there are issues with the ink! I don't use the imagine very often but when I do I always get this message.

This workaround worked for the HP 97 and 98 replacement cartridges. Many printers use expiration information on the cartridge to shut off the printing function. There is a way to reset the cartridge or the printer and trick the printer into thinking you are using a new cartridge. Apparently you can do the same with the HP replacements in the Imagine.

Hers how you do it:
Get some regular scotch tape
1. with the Imagine on remove both cartridges
2. looking at the cartridges contacts count 4 rows down and place the tape over the contacts you will be covering the top four rows of contacts
3. place the cartridges back into the Imagine and close the lid
4. wait until the Imagine print assemble stops making noise
5. then select ok from the menu (you may need to hit ok
6. you should be able to get the Imagine up and running at this point

If this does not work power down the Imagine and repeat.

I did not have to power down, it worked the first go!

So what did this do... You basically tricked the Imagine into thinking the ink Cartridges are full or New. You are probably saying, but mine are full. If they have expired the Imagine knows and will not work. This workaround tricks it into thinking they are new again.

Best of luck
 1 user thanked jennihegman5ef20934 for this useful post.
Linda Ajello on 9/27/2013(UTC)
Coah'sNana Offline
#2 Posted : Friday, September 27, 2013 9:15:23 AM(UTC)
Coah'sNana

Medals: Cricut Circle Member: Member of the Cricut Circle

Groups: Circle Member, Registered
Virgin Islands (U.S.)

Was thanked: 16227 time(s) in 4356 post(s)
Interesting. I've not heard of this workaround, but then I only had this issue once when I first got my Imagine and cleaning the contacts resolved it. The cartridges I have now are well beyond expiration, but still work fine. It might help others if you can upload a picture. You don't indicate which way the cartridge is oriented when you are covering the top four rows. Top of cart facing away from you or toward you? I think a picture might help. Thanks for sharing the info.
chegman567228d722f Offline
#3 Posted : Friday, September 27, 2013 11:04:52 AM(UTC)
chegman567228d722f

Yes good point. The cartridge contacts should be facing you with the printhead facing down.
chegman567228d722f Offline
#4 Posted : Friday, September 27, 2013 11:10:03 AM(UTC)
chegman567228d722f

This is something that also should work for some standard HP printers and HP ink print cartridges. If I get an opportunity I will try to post a picture of the orientation and which contacts to cover. Different model cartridges use different contacts to convey expiration and ink level data to the printer, or in this case the Imagine.

What is really frustrating with the Imagine is that it if the ink cartridge is low, not loaded or giving you an error message you cannot use the cutting function, in my opinion this is a HORRIBLE design flaw in the Imagine operating system. The cutting and printing functions should be independent. Maybe they will release a firmware update to correct this?
kitten03_1981aa35ee3e Offline
#5 Posted : Saturday, October 12, 2013 7:36:09 PM(UTC)
kitten03_1981aa35ee3e

I tried doing this ( im really new to the cricut stuff) but i want to say my ink cartridge is an hp 15 & 20. I tired the cover the top for things on the back and didnt work :( I never even got an ink level low message it just stopped working. And now i can't even cut anything. Well i havent found out how to cut any thing yet. PLEASE HELP lol. :)
scrapalette Online
#6 Posted : Saturday, October 12, 2013 7:39:05 PM(UTC)
scrapalette

Medals: Cricut Circle Member: Member of the Cricut Circle

Groups: Circle Member, Registered
United States

Was thanked: 19013 time(s) in 8498 post(s)
Originally Posted by: chegman567228d722f Go to Quoted Post
This is something that also should work for some standard HP printers and HP ink print cartridges. If I get an opportunity I will try to post a picture of the orientation and which contacts to cover. Different model cartridges use different contacts to convey expiration and ink level data to the printer, or in this case the Imagine.

What is really frustrating with the Imagine is that it if the ink cartridge is low, not loaded or giving you an error message you cannot use the cutting function, in my opinion this is a HORRIBLE design flaw in the Imagine operating system. The cutting and printing functions should be independent. Maybe they will release a firmware update to correct this?

Sadly, there are no more updates being worked on for the Imagine.