Flag
  • Sign In
  • 0 items
  • Search
Welcome Guest! Please login to enable all features.

Notification

Icon
Error

cranaeb0f65613 Offline
#1 Posted : Monday, September 30, 2013 2:51:13 PM(UTC)
cranaeb0f65613

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
New to cricut. I have the Craft Room. Wondering if there is a difference between the design studio and the Craft Room?! TIA
Narelle Offline
#2 Posted : Monday, September 30, 2013 3:35:52 PM(UTC)
Narelle

Medals: Cricut Circle Member: Member of the Cricut Circle

Groups: Circle Member, Registered
Australia

Was thanked: 7865 time(s) in 3680 post(s)
Originally Posted by: cranaeb0f65613 Go to Quoted Post
New to cricut. I have the Craft Room. Wondering if there is a difference between the design studio and the Craft Room?! TIA

CCR is free. Design Studio is a paid program. However it has been discontinued and is extremely hard to find. And as it has been discontinued, it is no longer being updated to add any new carts that are released.

To use CCR you must have an internet connection as the program is used online. DS is an offline program that's installed to your computer.

You can link your carts to CCR so you don't have to keep inserting them into the Cricut. DS can not link carts.

CCR can not cut objects that have been partly placed outside the cutting area of the mat. DS can.

1 user thanked Narelle for this useful post.
cranaeb0f65613 on 10/1/2013(UTC)
Just Rachel Offline
#3 Posted : Monday, September 30, 2013 3:36:04 PM(UTC)
Just Rachel

Was thanked: 18 time(s) in 16 post(s)
I'm new also, but, I believe that the Craft Room is the only option now.
cranaeb0f65613 Offline
#4 Posted : Tuesday, October 01, 2013 10:34:46 AM(UTC)
cranaeb0f65613

Thank you! I had seen one for sale on used/for sale type site and wasnt sure what it was or how it compared to CCR.
The only think I do not like about CCR is not being able to cut just one image I find that I like. I really hate having to buy all the digital cartridges.
TammyPuckett Offline
#5 Posted : Tuesday, October 01, 2013 11:18:57 AM(UTC)
TammyPuckett

Was thanked: 335 time(s) in 195 post(s)
I love Design Studio, but since the CCR came into play, PC is no longer supporting it with updates. I like it because you do not have to have internet access & I could take my computer to crops & design away! CCR is OK, but you do have to have internet access & sometimes that is a big problem!
Olivia'sNana Offline
#6 Posted : Tuesday, October 01, 2013 11:31:46 AM(UTC)
Olivia'sNana

Was thanked: 903 time(s) in 438 post(s)
I used DS up until ccr was introduced. except for CCR being internet dependant, DS is a huge step(s) backward. CCR is much more user friendly and can do more than what DS could ever do and a lot easier. This is based on my personal experience. I have never used my machine without ds or ccr and wouldn't use it if that was my only choice.

The one thing that I occasionally miss being able to do in ds that can't be done in ccr is lay images outside the mat area and still be able to cut what is inside the mat. CCR will not cut any part if any part lies outside the mat boundaries. AND I would pay good money for ccr if they would sell it rather than making it internet dependant. I know lots have had major issues with ccr, but I have been fortunate, and don't even have the best internet, that I have been able to use it with very little frustration.
cranaeb0f65613 Offline
#7 Posted : Tuesday, October 01, 2013 12:39:02 PM(UTC)
cranaeb0f65613

I have only used CCR and do not have too many problems with it. I never work outside of my home so I never have a use for non internet program. But I do wish there was a way to take a jpeg image and cut a basic shape. I am running into the problem of needing 1 or 2 shapes or images (like a football) and do not want to purchase and entire cart just for 1 images. Ive researched other programs but it doesn't seem they are compatible with Cricut any longer.
 1 user thanked cranaeb0f65613 for this useful post.
DarleneDuncan on 5/9/2014(UTC)
teginderravi1b87d92a Offline
#8 Posted : Sunday, March 02, 2014 1:38:23 AM(UTC)
teginderravi1b87d92a

Craftroom is a free online program. Design Studio you have to buy. I have Design Studio (I've had it for years, got it free when I bought a certain number of cartridges one time) and I'm used to it. BUT, it has some serious limitations. Provocraft has the tendency to move onto the next big thing and forget about fixing the problems with their initial projects. Design Studio has pretty much gone that way.

I was one of the "chosen few" who got to try Craftroom before it opened up to everyone, and have been using it pretty regularly. I like it, but it still has a lot of bugs. It has more capabilities than CDS, but sometimes freezes up and gives errors. I'm having problems because we got a new computer and the Craftroom isn't playing well with Windows 7 and PC says it's my anti-virus software and can't help me...

So, long story short - try Craftroom for free. You have to download the program (instead of using the web-based one) in order to cut, but it's straightforward to download and install.

One thing that some people didn't like was that by saving their projects online, Provocraft in essence owned them. You can export them to your own PC and delete them from the PC site, if you don't like PC owning them.