Flag
  • Sign In
  • 0 items
  • Search
Welcome Guest! Please login to enable all features.

Notification

Icon
Error

Barbie Offline
#1 Posted : Tuesday, October 01, 2013 7:38:39 AM(UTC)
Barbie

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 465 time(s) in 299 post(s)
I have been making cards for a trillion years, but have just now decided to create my first ever scrap book (very worried about this)and had just a couple of questions for those that create their own scrap books.

-When placing pictures, do you cut down the pictures or do you keep them at 4x6. And if so, to what size?
-Also, do you frame your pictures?
-Do you add words or sentences, and if so, do you had write or type them out?
-And is there 'a formula' when placing or adding pictures....I don't want to add too many on each page and have it look too busy.

Sorry for all the question, I just want to get this right.

Edited by user Thursday, December 19, 2013 3:48:03 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

2 users thanked Barbie for this useful post.
shylalp on 10/1/2013(UTC), CricketCMV on 12/19/2013(UTC)
Kiethann Offline
#2 Posted : Tuesday, October 01, 2013 7:57:54 AM(UTC)
Kiethann

United States

Was thanked: 679 time(s) in 518 post(s)
It is entirely up to you how much detail, wording, etc you put on your layout pages. There is no set rule. One tip I might give you is before glueing all of your work onto an album page...just lay it loosely on top of the album page. This way, you can rearrange and move your work around until you get the effect you are pleased with. Another tip is to sketch on paper a square if doing a 12 x 12 page, or a rectangle if doing an un even rectangle shape. You then sketch symbols onto the drawing so you have an idea of what you want your layout page to look like. Some people like to just mat the photos. Cut a piece of cardstock just slightly larger than your photo so there is a small border underneath the photo. You can do the same for your journaling block. Others like to add stickers, diecuts, embellishments, ribbons and laces to their pages. Later I will look through some of my photos and post some of my album pages for you. As for how many photos. The number is up to you. Some people only like to use one photo per page. I like to get my moneys worth and use more than one photo per page. If you need more ideas just PM me and I would be glad to help you out. There also is a sub forum titled layout and you can check it out.
 1 user thanked Kiethann for this useful post.
CricketCMV on 12/19/2013(UTC)
sportykidsbug Offline
#3 Posted : Tuesday, October 01, 2013 8:37:59 AM(UTC)
sportykidsbug

Was thanked: 63 time(s) in 51 post(s)
The unlimited possibilities for creating a layout is like winning the creative lottery, but as a newcomer those same unlimited possibilities can become daunting and overwhelming. The beautiful thing is that however your layout turns out, it'll be just fine.

Search through scrapbook photo galleries to get an idea of layouts you like. What is/are the common elements you like about them? Is it color, pattern, embellishments, simplicity, etc.? The beauty of scrapbooking (as I'm sure with card making) is that you will hone your style in time.

For me, I like a lots of color and photos - with some embellishment. Like Keithann I like to get more bang for the buck on my layouts. One photo per page is waaaaayyy out of my comfort zone, although I have created a few pages this way and liked them.

You might want to try Jean's LID Challenge in the Cricut Crafts (Layouts) section. The challenge has been on hiatus for a while, but Jean puts out some interesting sketches. The sketches (current and on previous challenges) can help you get started.

Just remember to have fun! We were all beginners at some point in time.

Good luck and update us with photos of your layout!

Edited by user Tuesday, October 01, 2013 8:39:05 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

1 user thanked sportykidsbug for this useful post.
JoyceG Offline
#4 Posted : Tuesday, October 01, 2013 8:58:39 AM(UTC)
JoyceG

Was thanked: 913 time(s) in 593 post(s)
Sometimes I crop (cut down my photos) if there is nothing important or relivant in the photo. But I've also gotten better at taking photos where the are close ups and don't need cropping. So it's kind of a photo by photo decision that I have to make.

Same way with how many photos to put on a layout. I have used one on a single 12x12 layout althought that's not normal for me. And I have used as many as 14 plus embellishments on a 2 page 12x12 layout.

I like my photos matted...I think it makes the photos pop off the page and brings more focus to the photos instead of all the embellishments.

One thing about scrapbooking is perserving the memory of the photo/event. So if there is a special photo (or layout) that has a story behind it then tell that story on the layout. You can type it out and attach it to your layout or you can hand write it. I mix mine up. Hand writting stories will definitely leave behind a personal touch of yourself on each page you make. I know thru the years my mom has hand written me letters and I love reading them. Seeing her handwritting from 30 years ago means a lot to me. So I hope one day as people look thru the albums I have made, that they will see my hand writting and have fond memories of me. But sometimes there is just too much to say and not enough space for it to be all hand written..so I also type and print things out to go on a layout.

Some people like to position their photos at an angle while others like them on the layout straight. I am one of the ones who likes them straight. I have to force myself to go outside my comfort zone and angle photos on my layouts.

Have fun scrapbooking and remember....there is never a mistake when scrapbooking...its just an opportunity for another embellishment Laugh

Joyce
 1 user thanked JoyceG for this useful post.
bethdoc Offline
#5 Posted : Tuesday, October 01, 2013 11:47:30 AM(UTC)
bethdoc

United States

Was thanked: 1194 time(s) in 805 post(s)
The only rule in scrapbooking is there is no wrong or right in scrapbooking. It's whatever you want to do, however you like it. There are so many different styles. If you're not sure what you want to do, browse through a few scrapbook magazines or blogs or websites like Two Peas in A Bucket or Creating Keepsakes and see what style you like. Some people like a crisp, clean layout, others like it full of embellishments. Some like one big picture, others like multiple photos, big or small. I like all styles, and try a variety of different techniques. I tend to handwrite, just because I prefer the personal touch and its quicker, but again, its all whatever you like best. And definitely, like the other person said, don't glue down anything until your sure!
 1 user thanked bethdoc for this useful post.
Barbie Offline
#6 Posted : Tuesday, October 01, 2013 12:28:45 PM(UTC)
Barbie

United States

Thanks ladies, these are some really great tips!
And I will definetley be searching the other sites for some more layout tips, and I like the tip about hand writing too.
thanks again!
 1 user thanked Barbie for this useful post.
BJR Offline
#7 Posted : Tuesday, October 01, 2013 12:31:00 PM(UTC)
BJR

Was thanked: 446 time(s) in 327 post(s)
I agree with that's said. Also try not to be critical of yourself, give yourself a little leeway. As with anything the more you do, the more at ease you will feel. Be proud of what you are doing, you will be preserving memories along with the pictures and a bit of yourself. BJR.
 1 user thanked BJR for this useful post.
ScraphappySC Offline
#8 Posted : Tuesday, October 01, 2013 1:15:58 PM(UTC)
ScraphappySC

Was thanked: 33 time(s) in 31 post(s)
There are tons of ideas on the internet. Pinterest and google. I have been searching for many different ideas for my nephew and his future wife's wedding album. Or you can set up a layout any way you like it. I always draw a layout and figure out where the pictures go. Like other posters said, there is no right or wrong when it comes to scrapbooking.

Enjoy and show us pictures when you are done!
 1 user thanked ScraphappySC for this useful post.
Scrapperdee Offline
#9 Posted : Tuesday, October 01, 2013 1:33:39 PM(UTC)
Scrapperdee

Canada

Was thanked: 4180 time(s) in 2398 post(s)
You could also go the Project-Life route then you don't have to feel like you have to crop your photos, if that bothers you.

EstherWheat Offline
#10 Posted : Tuesday, October 01, 2013 1:50:32 PM(UTC)
EstherWheat

Was thanked: 222 time(s) in 138 post(s)
Everyone is truly unique so I will chime in with my opinion!!!

-When placing pictures, do you cut down the pictures or do you keep them at 4x6. And if so, to what size? I usually crop!

-Also, do you frame your pictures? Most of the time...depending upon the background paper. If it is a busy paper, I do. If it is really plain I sometimes will.

-Do you add words or sentences, and if so, do you had write or type them out? I do a combination but I also think it is important to do some handwriting so that I can preserve that part of me....even if your handwriting isn't pretty it is a part of you that when your family looks at these years later they will remember!

-And is there 'a formula' when placing or adding pictures....I don't want to add too many on each page and have it look too busy. Personal preference and what works on the page. I have some pages with just one picture and others with tons. Make it unique!

Good luck and don't be afraid! The sky is the limit on your page and you should just enjoy the process and don't worry about rules!!!

1 user thanked EstherWheat for this useful post.
ksqueenb Offline
#11 Posted : Tuesday, October 01, 2013 5:50:01 PM(UTC)
ksqueenb

Medals: Cricut Circle Member: Member of the Cricut Circle

Groups: Registered, Circle Member
United States

Was thanked: 401 time(s) in 239 post(s)
There are hundreds of page Layout "recipes" on the internet. If you have trying to catch up use some with more photos. If you have special photos/events you want to scrap then use less photos and more embellies to make them special.

Rule 1 - ENJOY!Wub
 1 user thanked ksqueenb for this useful post.
barbarastewart1 Offline
#12 Posted : Wednesday, October 02, 2013 6:02:21 AM(UTC)
barbarastewart1

United States

Was thanked: 11486 time(s) in 3095 post(s)
All great suggestions and I'll just add this in case you have a moment to look at it and possibly enjoy some of the offerings: http://www.scrapbook.com...-nutCZ-LkCFRDl7Aod9jYAsA

JUST HAVE FUN...

P.S. Take a look at the "Two Peas in a Bucket" website for a self-paced class by Glitter Girl!
A bunch of us signed up for it. Really good part - it looks like we will have access to it FOREVER ... and being "self paced" you can come and go as you please. Don't think I'll have
a moment for it before the new year...
- here's the link:
http://www.twopeasinabuc...ide-with-shimelle-laine/

Edited by user Wednesday, October 02, 2013 6:15:12 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

1 user thanked barbarastewart1 for this useful post.
deleted Offline
#13 Posted : Wednesday, October 02, 2013 6:23:09 AM(UTC)
deleted

Was thanked: 76 time(s) in 54 post(s)
Quote:
When placing pictures, do you cut down the pictures or do you keep them at 4x6. And if so, to what size?

Be careful what you crop out. What you might think of as not important now will be the neatest thing in years to come. Cropping out parts of a house, or certain car, or people in the background can turn into a regret.

I have found that when we pull out really old picture albums, sometimes what it the most cherished part of a picture is what was in the background.

2 users thanked deleted for this useful post.
Leanner on 10/2/2013(UTC), CricketCMV on 12/19/2013(UTC)
CindyLouScrappinWho Offline
#14 Posted : Wednesday, October 02, 2013 10:27:18 AM(UTC)
CindyLouScrappinWho

Groups: Circle Member, Registered
United States

Was thanked: 13662 time(s) in 3459 post(s)
Originally Posted by: snapishbumblebeeb8886413 Go to Quoted Post
Be careful what you crop out. What you might think of as not important now will be the neatest thing in years to come. Cropping out parts of a house, or certain car, or people in the background can turn into a regret.

I have found that when we pull out really old picture albums, sometimes what it the most cherished part of a picture is what was in the background.

I agree 100%. I love to look at my grandparents pictures and see the diner they were sitting at or the house with the porch they were sitting on. The old cars and barefoot kids in the background.... priceless.
 1 user thanked CindyLouScrappinWho for this useful post.
Barbie Offline
#15 Posted : Wednesday, October 02, 2013 12:14:30 PM(UTC)
Barbie

United States

WOW, these are all some very excellent tips and points. I am truly excited and inspired and no longer worried that I'm dont know what I'm doing.
Thanks again!
I'll post pics soon.
Barbie
dorichatelain44314a80 Offline
#16 Posted : Wednesday, October 02, 2013 3:15:50 PM(UTC)
dorichatelain44314a80

Was thanked: 119 time(s) in 116 post(s)
I use many different size pictures. The most important thing I do when starting a scrap layout is if I am using a predigital picture then I will scan it and save it as it is. then I will use the original on in the layout. I am trying to get my major amount of pictures used. if it is digital then I will make a copy of it and then do what ever adjusting I want to it and then print it and scrap it.

If there is a bunch of background in the picture that doesn't make the picture pop then I will crop it out. if the picture is balanced and looks good as it is I will leave it.

I mat my pictures. either 1 mat, double mat and I have been known to triple mat. depending on the picture and layout that I am doing.

I have also done mats that are angled in different directions and sizes.

there is no rules. no right or wrong way to scrap. it is all your creativity. just think about it as a large card with a picture. in fact I made a halloween card the other day liked it so well I enlarged the image I was using and cut it out for a layout. I do that quite a bit actually or I do a layout and like it so well I shrink the image and make it into a card.

happy scrapping
Dori
 1 user thanked dorichatelain44314a80 for this useful post.
MamasScrappin Offline
#17 Posted : Thursday, October 03, 2013 10:02:34 AM(UTC)
MamasScrappin

Was thanked: 694 time(s) in 631 post(s)
Everything is up to you. There is no wrong or right way. Everyone has their own style. check out blogs and different scrapbooking sites for ideas. I change mine up as to the subject of my pictures or event. Just depends on my mood too. You just go with it or there's also online sites that have what are called "sketches" that you follow placing items on your page. I don't use those as I like to have my own style and ideas. But the possiblilities are endless. Have fun!!
 1 user thanked MamasScrappin for this useful post.
Barbie Offline
#18 Posted : Thursday, December 19, 2013 3:43:20 AM(UTC)
Barbie

United States

Well, I finally completed my FIRST scrapbook. And although it's not as pretty as some I have seen before, I'm still pleased with it.
And I give all you scrapbooker's a lot of credit! It is not easy to do this, maybe it was my lack of creativity or just that I had so many pictures, but it did not have a lot of the 'bells and whistles' that most of you have.
So, I too hope you enjoy it.
There were 20 pages, but I didn't want to bore you with them all.
Thanks
File Attachment(s):
100_3527.JPG (1,052kb) downloaded 19 time(s).
100_3526.JPG (1,127kb) downloaded 18 time(s).
100_3535.JPG (1,269kb) downloaded 14 time(s).
Barbie attached the following image(s):
100_3525.JPG
100_3534.JPG
JoyceG Offline
#19 Posted : Thursday, December 19, 2013 10:42:58 AM(UTC)
JoyceG

Was thanked: 913 time(s) in 593 post(s)
You can never bore a scrapbooker with pictures of layouts!! Thanks for sharing them and feel free to share the rest too BigGrin Good job and you will be able to treasure the album for the rest of your life!

Joyce
CricketCMV Offline
#20 Posted : Thursday, December 19, 2013 7:18:40 PM(UTC)
CricketCMV

Was thanked: 8151 time(s) in 4775 post(s)
Barbie....your album pages you have shown us so far are really beautiful; I love the simplicity of them (meaning that in a really, really GOOD way). I would love to see more of them. I would LOVE to see ALL of them.

Char
Barbie Offline
#21 Posted : Friday, December 20, 2013 6:59:12 AM(UTC)
Barbie

United States

Thanks Joyce and Char for those nice compliments. I'll tell you once I got started it really wasn't that difficult. Although this is a Christmas present to both my kids, and think I have shown it to everyone Im still so pleased and excited of it.
Dave (DH) and I are so proud of them both too. This is the first time they have been involved in the marching band, and it has been such an exciting time in our lives too.
Everytime I see them perform it brings a tear to my eyes.

Their theme this year was METAL, thus the front cover of the the album. Heavy metal music, dark uniforms, steele drums, metal barrels, steele workers really cool.
There are 150 kids in our band and that's pretty big for this area, and to watch those kids enter on the field is just so impressive.

We have a very exciting venue next year! Get this!!!! Memorial Day parade in DCA performing for the President,,,,and WAIT,wait, THEY ARE PERFORMING IN THE MACY'S DAY PARADE 2014. How exciting is that!?

Well, thanks for letting me brag, show and tell.
Barbie
Proud Bville Marching Band mom
CricketCMV on 12/20/2013(UTC)
CanadaJanice Offline
#22 Posted : Friday, December 20, 2013 7:55:12 AM(UTC)
CanadaJanice

Was thanked: 76 time(s) in 66 post(s)
Your pages look awesome. Well done, and I'm sure your style will evolve, as everyone's does. That's part of the fun too - seeing how your own style changes.