Flag
  • Sign In
  • 0 items
  • Search
Welcome Guest! Please login to enable all features.

Notification

Icon
Error

explodingscotsman3e9efbd3 Offline
#1 Posted : Thursday, October 03, 2013 11:00:24 PM(UTC)
explodingscotsman3e9efbd3

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
First of all, I am wanting to buy a cricut expression machine, but I was wondering some things about them.

1) Can I cut 1/4" "mini" size patterns with it?

2) I have heard that you can increase detail by turning simplification off, and turning the cutting speed down...is this true?

3) Would I be able to cut something like this in 1/4"?
1/4" Spider Punch Design

THANK YOU so much for any help!
Maxluv Offline
#2 Posted : Friday, October 04, 2013 4:25:35 AM(UTC)
Maxluv

Medals: Cricut Circle Member: Member of the Cricut Circle

Groups: Registered, Circle Member
United States

Was thanked: 483 time(s) in 370 post(s)
Yes you can cut 1/4 inch images. Not sure what you mean on question #2?
scrapalette Offline
#3 Posted : Friday, October 04, 2013 6:53:07 AM(UTC)
scrapalette

Groups: Circle Member, Registered
United States

Was thanked: 19134 time(s) in 8556 post(s)
Originally Posted by: explodingscotsman3e9efbd3 Go to Quoted Post
First of all, I am wanting to buy a cricut expression machine, but I was wondering some things about them.

1) Can I cut 1/4" "mini" size patterns with it?

2) I have heard that you can increase detail by turning simplification off, and turning the cutting speed down...is this true?

3) Would I be able to cut something like this in 1/4"?

THANK YOU so much for any help!

I think you need to read a little more about the Cricut, which is a cartridge based die cutter. It sounds like you might have read somewhere about a software based cutting program and those don't work the Cricut.

There are lots of spider images on Cricut carts, but you need to own the cart or digital cutting rights to be able to cut any image.
#4 Posted : Friday, October 04, 2013 10:40:18 AM(UTC)

I have actually read a lot for several days prior to making my purchase, but I was under the impression that cricut cutters didn't have the ability to cut details as finely as other more expensive cutters, but that they had 2 settings: simplicity (which I think is set to 20% by default), and cutting speed. These are set right on the console, not in offboard software. These can also be adjusted to increase detail.

Am I wrong about all this?

I apologize in advance if I am! I really am trying to find out as much as I can, but I experienced a little bit of immersion shock when I started, and got overwhelmed. I'm a lot better informed now than I was then, but I'm still trying to sort out all of my misconceptions and confusion.

in any case, I just bought a factory refurbed expression, and I'm excited! :)

That spider pattern was just an example of one that was mini-sized, but still had a good bit of detail. I was just wondering, from people who owned and used an expression, how that machine would fare at cutting that pattern in 1/4" size. Again, just as an example. I don't know what's on cricut carts yet, so I can't post one of those patterns as an example.

And thank you both for the response!

Edited by user Friday, October 04, 2013 10:58:02 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

JoyceG Offline
#5 Posted : Friday, October 04, 2013 11:11:07 AM(UTC)
JoyceG

Groups: Registered, Circle Member

Was thanked: 921 time(s) in 597 post(s)
The more detailed a design is might require a larger cut when using the cricut machines. I don't think I have ever needed to cut anything at 1/4"..that is really small. But according to some of the cartridges I own..they show on the cases for the cartrdiges that they can be cut from .25 inched up to 23.5 inches on the Expressions machines.

Joyce
 1 user thanked JoyceG for this useful post.
explodingscotsman3e9efbd3 on 10/15/2013(UTC)
Olivia'sNana Offline
#6 Posted : Friday, October 04, 2013 12:33:41 PM(UTC)
Olivia'sNana

Was thanked: 924 time(s) in 456 post(s)
I have an expression now going on probably 7 years and it has been a workhorse and still going.
You can cut 1/4 inch images but the quality of cut can vary greatly from trash to perfection. It all depends on #1 how intricute the image is and the quality of your paper and getting the blade depth and pressure and speed right for the paper. If you use ccr, the speed is controlled by the design software, you cannot control the machine speed when using ccr. The condition of your mat and blade can also affect how clean an image cuts.

I think on quality paper, the image in your exampe would cut very good at 1/4", however if it had really narrow string like legs, the legs would likely come out a mess. Sometimes you just have no choice but to cut images at a larger size on more intricute designs to get clean cuts.

Enjoy your machine and welcome

Donna
 1 user thanked Olivia'sNana for this useful post.
#7 Posted : Friday, October 04, 2013 12:52:43 PM(UTC)

Thanks to both of you, also!

Well if I can get that much detail at 1/4", I will be happy!!

I have been using craft punches to cut .040 micron polymer glitter film for custom glitter lamps, but only a TINY fraction of the 500 or so that I've accumulated over the years will work well with the glitter film! They all grab and stretch the film, rather than cleaving it cleanly.

I have tried to cut this stuff with an x-acto knife, and it cuts like butter.

...Hopefully not TOO well...?

I know that there will be tons of designs for me to use for glitter shapes (flowers, snowflakes, etc.)...right?
scrapalette Offline
#8 Posted : Friday, October 04, 2013 1:02:41 PM(UTC)
scrapalette

United States

Was thanked: 19134 time(s) in 8556 post(s)
I have actually read a lot for several days prior to making my purchase, but I was under the impression that cricut cutters didn't have the ability to cut details as finely as other more expensive cutters, but that they had 2 settings: simplicity (which I think is set to 20% by default), and cutting speed. These are set right on the console, not in offboard software. These can also be adjusted to increase detail.

Am I wrong about all this?

The two settings on the Cricut machine are Speed and Pressure {the amount of force placed on the blade}. The blade depth can be adjusted on the blade housing unit. And no need to apologize! You're learning and I know one software uses the term simplicity to remove internal cut lines, so I assumed you had read about that on a blog somewhere.

My E is 6 years old and has seen a lot of cutting. And I can still cut teeny tiny {IMO} images without problems. I cut these monograms for earbuds that I put in my nieces and nephews stockings and the flat surface is about the size of a nickel.

Edited by user Friday, October 04, 2013 1:03:39 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

1 user thanked scrapalette for this useful post.
#9 Posted : Friday, October 04, 2013 11:05:11 PM(UTC)

Those look so COOL!

Amazing!

...And dare I say..."YAY"?

Yes! YAY!

Thank you! I'm even more excited now! With only 2-3 exceptions, that spider is the most detailed, intricate mini-size pattern that I currently use. If the cricut can handle a shape like that in a size like that, then I know I'll probably be ok with it, and the carts. :) All I really need are small, fairly simple designs for my purposes anyway. Hearts, stars, suns, moons...things like that. Here are 4 of my lamps, so people can see:

3 seasons custom glitter lamps

On the left is Spring, with peach liquid and prismatic flowers, then Summer, with gold, green, and blue bees and butterflies, then Fall with gold, green-gold, red, and orange leaves, and Winter, with snowflake glitter.
 1 user thanked explodingscotsman3e9efbd3 for this useful post.
JoyceG on 10/6/2013(UTC)
Narelle Offline
#10 Posted : Saturday, October 05, 2013 12:23:42 AM(UTC)
Narelle

Australia

Was thanked: 7900 time(s) in 3703 post(s)
I've never tried cutting the stuff you're using. That would be my only concern....

Maybe you could send Scrapalette a sample and get her to try cutting it! LOL
MaryStillman Offline
#11 Posted : Saturday, October 05, 2013 4:23:01 PM(UTC)
MaryStillman

Was thanked: 1249 time(s) in 792 post(s)
Those look so COOL!

Amazing!

...And dare I say..."YAY"?

Yes! YAY!

Thank you! I'm even more excited now! With only 2-3 exceptions, that spider is the most detailed, intricate mini-size pattern that I currently use. If the cricut can handle a shape like that in a size like that, then I know I'll probably be ok with it, and the carts. :) All I really need are small, fairly simple designs for my purposes anyway. Hearts, stars, suns, moons...things like that. Here are 4 of my lamps, so people can see:

3 seasons custom glitter lamps

On the left is Spring, with peach liquid and prismatic flowers, then Summer, with gold, green, and blue bees and butterflies, then Fall with gold, green-gold, red, and orange leaves, and Winter, with snowflake glitter.

Your lamps are way cool.

Mary
 1 user thanked MaryStillman for this useful post.
#12 Posted : Saturday, October 05, 2013 6:05:05 PM(UTC)

@ Narelle - I cut it with punches, but I have to wrap strips of the stuff in thin paper in order to punch it cleanly, and even then it's touch and go. Sometimes it jams the punches, and pulls and stretches rather than cutting. It really does cut fairly easily with a razor though, so as long as the cuts don't run, I think it should be ok? In any case my expression is already ordered, so I might as well just test it out myself when it comes. :p Even if this doesn't work out, it's not like I won't find 14 million other uses for it!

@ Mary - Thank you! I've been working on these for years now, but only in the last month or so have I been able to get these cut glitter lamps up and running finally!

Edited by user Saturday, October 05, 2013 7:32:30 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

1 user thanked explodingscotsman3e9efbd3 for this useful post.
JoyceG on 10/6/2013(UTC)