Flag
  • Sign In
  • 0 items
  • Search
Welcome Guest! Please login to enable all features.

Notification

Icon
Error

farleycross060aeacc Offline
#1 Posted : Saturday, October 26, 2013 3:31:59 PM(UTC)
farleycross060aeacc

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
I posted the below to the end of a thread about problems updating the firmware in old Expression machines using a Mac. I saw that there were over 9000 views of that topic. Since this is any easy solution that worked for us when Farley was unable to do it otherwise, and since it seems to such a nasty problem, I should post this as new topic so that people know that there is an easy solution.
=================================================================

I am Farley's husband, Bob, aka tech support for Farley. I was able to update her old Cricut Expression firmware on a Mac. Seeing how much frustration there has been here, I thought I should post how I did it.

The problem is that the Mac version of Craftroom will not update the old firmware. The PC version works, but that hasn't helped Mac users. Here is what I did.

CodeWeavers sells a product called Crossover for Mac, which has a downloadable free trial. It is a compatibility layer that enables mac users to run a lot of PC programs on the Mac, and fortunately, Craftroom and the firmware update seem to work. So, for Mac users:

1. Download the PC version of Craftroom to your disk.
2. Download the trial version of Crossover for Mac from the Codeweavers website.
3. Install Crossover and start it.
4. Use crossover to install the PC version of Craftroom that you downloaded and then start the Craftroom program. It will recognize the need for a firmware update and prompt you what to do. After the new firmware has been installed, you are done.

Once you have the firmware updated, you can then use the Mac version of Craftroom if you like.

Crossover is a great program sold by great folks. Consider buying a license and tell your friends about it. But to just update the firmware, the free trial will do the job.

Bob (for Farley's crafting friends)

Edited by user Saturday, October 26, 2013 3:36:02 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Kitkat67 Offline
#2 Posted : Saturday, November 02, 2013 12:37:37 PM(UTC)
Kitkat67

United States

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
I did as your post says, I was able to open CCR through the Crossover software, but it is stuck on initializing at the log in screen? Do you or anyone else have any other fixes? I have come to understand that the recent upgrade for MAC users, Mavericks is the culprit. Believe it or not it was from somebody that owns a pazzle machine. She got an email telling her if she has a MAC to "NOT DOWNLOAD UPGRADE" because it renders CCR useless. I now feel like I have a useless machine. Most of my cartridges are digital! If anyone has found a workaround that worked for them, please share it. I am sure it is not just me experience
Scrappy Chic Offline
#3 Posted : Sunday, November 03, 2013 6:46:53 AM(UTC)
Scrappy Chic

Great post, but will this work if you are using Mac Mavericks? I wish I had known Provo Craft was so far behind. I never would have downloaded the Mavericks. I have been exporting my Craft Room files to my Gypsy but you cannot use any rental bundles or free cuts on your Gypsy. Bummer. I can however create what I want with what I have bought in the Craft Room, export them as a Gypsy file, sync them to my Gypsy, then cut on my Cricut Expression. But I would rather just use my Craft Room. The Craft Room itself works with Mavericks, you just can't update the Expression to work with it and cut.
 1 user thanked Scrappy Chic for this useful post.
cbicookd97562a4 on 4/29/2014(UTC)
#4 Posted : Sunday, November 03, 2013 2:13:40 PM(UTC)
farleycross060aeacc

This has been my experience.
Using Crossover to install the updated firmware worked great where I could not get the Mac version to update the old firmware.
However, once I got the new firmware installed, the machine worked great only with the Mac version of Craftroom. Running the PC Version of the software seemed to work, but the Craftroom software could not initialize the machine. I suspect a programming issue with the firmware or Craftroom. I saythis because, from the same Mac computer now, the PC version with Crossover will fail to initialize while the Mac version of Craftroom loads fine. The "initializing" problem is something I haven't run down because the machine is working fine for us now.

So I am speculating that my solution will work for firmware update, but not actually using craft room on the Mac.

I did not use Mavericks to load the firmware, but Crossover is supposed to be working fine with Mavericks. Since I get the "initialization" problem without Mavericks update, I don't think that Mavericks is the problem.

If you have a copy of Windows, you could try creating a virtual machine with the free software VirtualBox, but there is a learning curve doing that. I don't really know why the Crossover PC program gets stuck at "initializing" now that it has installed the firmware correctly.

Edited by user Sunday, November 03, 2013 2:24:30 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

vak628 Offline
#5 Posted : Monday, November 11, 2013 6:26:34 PM(UTC)
vak628

Mellow Hi, I've read so many suggestions and still...nothing. I have an expression and a Mac with Mavericks. I do not have a PC. I tried " Easy solution to updating Expression firmware with Mac" and apparently, it does matter if you have Mavericks as I too am stuck at "initializing". Now what? Any ideas? Thank you for your help everyone.
#6 Posted : Tuesday, November 12, 2013 2:30:32 PM(UTC)
farleycross060aeacc

For those who are stuck at the initializing screen, here is what I think is happening.

Using the PC version of CCR will update the machine to the current firmware. However, if you continue to use the PC version of the software, you will be stuck at the initialization screen. So once you have used the PC version with Crossover to update the firmware, then you have to delete the PC version (you can right click on the Crossover icon while it is running to do this I believe).

Then you have to reinstall the Mac version of Cricut Craft Room to get past the initialization screen and use the software..

In short, the PC version of the software will update the firmware with Sync, but will not run the program (stuck at initialization). The Mac version will not update the firmware, but will run Cricut Craft Room fine once the new firmware has been installed.

When you delete the PC version of the software after updating the firmware, be sure that the PC version is completely uninstalled. For a short time, I had both versions going and every time I tried to start the Mac version, Crossover would take over and start the PC version, which then hung at the initialization screen.

Edited by user Tuesday, November 12, 2013 2:33:03 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

loritfrenchb6661660 Offline
#7 Posted : Saturday, November 16, 2013 5:07:18 PM(UTC)
loritfrenchb6661660

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Is there any chance Cricut will fix this problem, in the near future, so we Mac users aren't frustrated with having a useless machine???
 1 user thanked loritfrenchb6661660 for this useful post.
cbicookd97562a4 on 4/29/2014(UTC)
scrapalette Offline
#8 Posted : Saturday, November 16, 2013 5:37:14 PM(UTC)
scrapalette

Medals: Cricut Circle Member: Member of the Cricut Circle

Groups: Circle Member, Registered
United States

Was thanked: 19101 time(s) in 8532 post(s)
I'd call PC. All of the info on these forums is from other crafters. You computer may not be configured the same. The CS rep can help you troubleshoot over the phone.

ivydodgen8e66a2bd Offline
#9 Posted : Sunday, November 17, 2013 12:31:17 AM(UTC)
ivydodgen8e66a2bd

I can't even update. It is stuck at initializing from the start. I tried to use the mac version once I had the pc version installed also. Still didn't update. I have installed the pc version twice and neither one will let me install it.
ivydodgen8e66a2bd Offline
#10 Posted : Sunday, November 17, 2013 12:45:10 AM(UTC)
ivydodgen8e66a2bd

also i am using OSX 10.8.5
I don't know anything about maverick
tsel Offline
#11 Posted : Sunday, December 15, 2013 2:41:21 PM(UTC)
tsel

United States

Which bottle is it best to install this into?
vswilliams8a624084 Offline
#12 Posted : Sunday, April 27, 2014 3:32:35 PM(UTC)
vswilliams8a624084

I also use mac computers. Actually, I have access to 5 macs including 2 desktops and 3 laptops - all running mavericks. All of them run the Cricut Craft Room without a problem, but I can't update my firmware on my Expression 2 on any of them. Updates will start, but never finish. This is an issue on Cricuts end. If they want my business (money), they are going to have to address this issue. I'll ABSOLUTELY give up this cutting machine before giving up any of my macs. There are lots of new machines available that offer many more affordable options for fonts and other images - I'd love to be able to use SCAL software with mine. I wish I had investigated before I bought into this device!