Flag
  • Sign In
  • 0 items
  • Search
Welcome Guest! Please login to enable all features.

Notification

Icon
Error

Jennie C Offline
#1 Posted : Tuesday, November 05, 2013 10:46:40 AM(UTC)
Jennie C

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I've been cutting some leaves and they have cuts inside for the vein lines. They don't attach to anything, so they are just slits inside of the image. When I attach the leaves to a shadow, the cuts are pretty much invisible. What do you all do with those cuts? Is there a way to emphasize them somehow on the finished project? Is there an easy way to eliminate them from being cut?

Thanks for your help!
JeanP Offline
#2 Posted : Tuesday, November 05, 2013 11:42:22 AM(UTC)
JeanP

United States

Was thanked: 952 time(s) in 766 post(s)
Originally Posted by: cottrell.jennief06330ea Go to Quoted Post
I've been cutting some leaves and they have cuts inside for the vein lines. They don't attach to anything, so they are just slits inside of the image. When I attach the leaves to a shadow, the cuts are pretty much invisible. What do you all do with those cuts? Is there a way to emphasize them somehow on the finished project? Is there an easy way to eliminate them from being cut?

Thanks for your help!

You can highlight them buy "cutting" with cricut markers first. Or you can just use a regular marker to draw on the lines.

If you are using DS or CCR you can click on the lines you don't want to cut and "hide" them.

1 user thanked JeanP for this useful post.
Jennie C on 11/5/2013(UTC)
CanadaJanice Offline
#3 Posted : Tuesday, November 05, 2013 11:52:42 AM(UTC)
CanadaJanice

Was thanked: 76 time(s) in 66 post(s)
Sometimes the size of the cut makes a difference too. Some cuts that don't show up on a small object look really nice of a larger one.

I like to emphasize these marks with chalk. I usually use a chalk that is similar to the paper colour; I find it adds nice depth, and is more subtle than using a marker.
 1 user thanked CanadaJanice for this useful post.
Jennie C on 11/5/2013(UTC)
Jennie C Offline
#4 Posted : Tuesday, November 05, 2013 2:29:17 PM(UTC)
Jennie C

Thank you both for your responses! I was trying to think how to cut the lines into little slots :)

I took your advice and used the subtlest marker I have, a Copic C0, to mark the lines. I can barely see the marker, but the lines pop out nicely. I'm very happy with my first little project on my new Cricut. Thank you so much!
Jennie C Offline
#5 Posted : Friday, November 08, 2013 12:05:07 AM(UTC)
Jennie C

I'm using CCR. I tried to click on the inside lines to hide them, but I only know how to select the whole image. How do you click on just one line?
Thanks!
Olivia'sNana Offline
#6 Posted : Friday, November 08, 2013 4:41:53 AM(UTC)
Olivia'sNana

Was thanked: 915 time(s) in 449 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Jennie C Go to Quoted Post
I'm using CCR. I tried to click on the inside lines to hide them, but I only know how to select the whole image. How do you click on just one line?
Thanks!

If you will select the whole image, if there are lines that can be hidden, you should see a green box pop up at the bottom of your selected image that says hide contour. Click on that and it will take your image into edit mode. you can then hover over any line that you want to hide until it turns red and then click on it. It will then gray out. A tip to easier see small lines, zoom in on the image and it makes it a lot easier to find and click on the lines.

Hiding contour is a way that you can also hide entire parts of an image and to separate parts into individual images. I have attached a screen shot that shows an image that contains 3 leaves, i copied and pasted the image twice and then did hide on each copy until I wound up with three individual images that can be moved and resized individually. the pumpkin is an example of hiding contours - one of parts of his face and then of the pumpkin to reveal just his face

Another way that I like to add dimension to leaves and flowers is simply wad them up like your were make a spit wad and then unfold. This adds some natural looking dimension to your leaves rather than them just looking flat. Here is the 3dpumkins that I did using this technique for the leaves

Edited by user Friday, November 08, 2013 4:52:41 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Olivia'sNana attached the following image(s):
DSCN3278.JPG
untitled.JPG
 2 users thanked Olivia'sNana for this useful post.
robinsmitherman9f7db060 on 11/9/2013(UTC), Jennie C on 11/22/2013(UTC)
Jennie C Offline
#7 Posted : Friday, November 22, 2013 12:16:30 AM(UTC)
Jennie C

Olivia'sNana--I wish I could triple like your posting! Thanks for telling me how to hide the little cut lines, and for posting a picture, and for an idea about how to use it to separate parts of an image, and for the idea of scrunching up the paper for texture, and for the great photo of the perfect pumpkins and leaves! That's actually more than triple thanks and I really appreciate your efforts.