Flag
  • Sign In
  • 0 items
  • Search
Welcome Guest! Please login to enable all features.

Notification

Icon
Error

JoyceG Offline
#1 Posted : Wednesday, December 18, 2013 5:13:47 PM(UTC)
JoyceG

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 903 time(s) in 591 post(s)
I so want to go into my scraproom and start working on some scrapbook layouts. But every time I get working on them, I end up with horrible neck pain and right shoulder pain. So I rarely make layouts any more. I really miss scrapbooking but I hate the thought of being in all that pain again when it took me a year of chiropractor visits and muscle relaxers to get rid of it.

Am I alone??

Joyce
Annabella Offline
#2 Posted : Wednesday, December 18, 2013 5:35:42 PM(UTC)
Annabella

United States

Was thanked: 624 time(s) in 509 post(s)
Do you have the option to stand and play in your room. Maybe you could make your table higher with some wood pieces? This way you won't be bending over the lay-outs. I have seen many craft rooms set up so you can stand and do your work.

I hope you can find a happy medium. Nothing is worse than wanting to scrap and not being able to!!
 1 user thanked Annabella for this useful post.
JoyceG on 12/18/2013(UTC)
CricketCMV Offline
#3 Posted : Wednesday, December 18, 2013 9:03:19 PM(UTC)
CricketCMV

Medals: Cricut Circle Member: Member of the Cricut Circle

Groups: Registered, Circle Member

Was thanked: 8026 time(s) in 4687 post(s)
Do you want to hear all of this? LOL.

When I retired in 2005, I had arthritis in EVERY joint in my body....all day long....hardly anything relieved it; plus I was on 1200mg. of an arthritis medicine for inflammation I had been on for the previous twenty years. It never, ever got rid of pain; but, what it did do (and, I am really thankful for this), it slowed down the disfiguration that comes with swollen joints. I hardly have any visual signs of all the inflammation that some of my friends have. The funny thing is, most of them who have the disfigurations around their joints have always said their arthritis didn't hurt them.

Anyway, when I started making cards, it killed me, to say the least. I had whiplash (on two separate occasions over the years, with the first being at age 19, being the worst). I could only work on the cards for five or ten minutes then I had to get away from it. Now, I can work on them for an hour or so and never have much pain. I had a lot of other issues, too, which exacerbated the arthritis.

I learned to work on top of several bins (that I stored things in) on top of a bed in one of the bedrooms I have a lot of my supplies in (it was our DS's bedroom when he lived here). You know those big grey bins at Walmart...I bought them on sale. I have six of them. One Christmas all six of them lay around the outer edges of the bed (they were on all sides and at the end). I could lay things out on top. I still had to use the kitchen counter (for hardness) for various things, but for the most part, I worked off the top of those bins.

I did that for several years for a month or so during/leading up to Christmas. As I worked on exercises with bands and on a bally ball, I have worked a lot of my arthritis pain away (and a few other things I've done over the years, too, with my diet). I NO LONGER HAVE TO DO THAT unless I start hurting. Rarely do I have to put the bins on the bed unless I'm having a really bad day.

Hope you're able to work out your problem.

Char

Edited by user Wednesday, December 18, 2013 9:04:47 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

1 user thanked CricketCMV for this useful post.
jscraftylady Offline
#4 Posted : Wednesday, December 18, 2013 9:05:58 PM(UTC)
jscraftylady

Was thanked: 2303 time(s) in 1238 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Annabella Go to Quoted Post
Do you have the option to stand and play in your room. Maybe you could make your table higher with some wood pieces? This way you won't be bending over the lay-outs. I have seen many craft rooms set up so you can stand and do your work.

I hope you can find a happy medium. Nothing is worse than wanting to scrap and not being able to!!

Being able to stand and work in my new craftroom has saved me so much pain. I second this recommendation.
 1 user thanked jscraftylady for this useful post.
CricketCMV Offline
#5 Posted : Wednesday, December 18, 2013 9:12:56 PM(UTC)
CricketCMV

I LOVE to stand to work, too, but I do have to be able to have things at the right height that I'm working on.

I like to work on an ironing board, too. I can set it at its highest setting and it isn't as hard on me as when I stand at the kitchen counter (although I can stand there a lot longer than I used to be able to stand there working on my projects). Again, you can't always use the ironing board if you're having to put a lot of pressure on whatever you're doing.

Char
JoyceG on 12/19/2013(UTC)
JoyceG Offline
#6 Posted : Wednesday, December 18, 2013 10:34:59 PM(UTC)
JoyceG

Originally Posted by: Annabella Go to Quoted Post

I have a scraproom but it has short tables. Too much standing gives me lower back pain and makes me bend my neck even more to see the projects. Mad It's not that I slouch my back over my projects, its the fact I bend my head down for too long and I must hold it crooked or something. Cause after a little while I get these horrible kinks in it. I did buy myself the scrap-n-easle and the scrappin easel-ette. They help but I still have issues.

Joyce
 1 user thanked JoyceG for this useful post.
CricketCMV on 12/19/2013(UTC)
MOgoggingirl Offline
#7 Posted : Wednesday, December 18, 2013 11:05:16 PM(UTC)
MOgoggingirl

United States

Was thanked: 397 time(s) in 353 post(s)
Originally Posted by: JoyceG Go to Quoted Post
I have a scraproom but it has short tables. Too much standing gives me lower back pain and makes me bend my neck even more to see the projects. Mad It's not that I slouch my back over my projects, its the fact I bend my head down for too long and I must hold it crooked or something. Cause after a little while I get these horrible kinks in it. I did buy myself the scrap-n-easle and the scrappin easel-ette. They help but I still have issues.

Joyce

Have you ever thought of getting a Scrap'N Easel? http://cartridgesandmore...rapbooking-work-surface/[/url]

It is a little pricy but might just be what you need. It elevates the work to an angle that you're not looking straight down.

I would love to have one but it is cost prohibitive right now. I might eventually get one.BigGrin HTHSmile
 1 user thanked MOgoggingirl for this useful post.
Di&Co Offline
#8 Posted : Thursday, December 19, 2013 5:35:03 AM(UTC)
Di&Co

Canada

Was thanked: 20855 time(s) in 5212 post(s)
I suggest Yoga or some stretching exercises. I also get a lot of relief from doing some of Leslie Sansone's Walk Away the Pounds videos. I really do have to get back to working out.
 1 user thanked Di&Co for this useful post.
JoyceG Offline
#9 Posted : Thursday, December 19, 2013 10:57:20 AM(UTC)
JoyceG

Originally Posted by: MOgoggingirl Go to Quoted Post
Have you ever thought of getting a Scrap'N Easel? http://cartridgesandmore...rapbooking-work-surface/[/url]

It is a little pricy but might just be what you need. It elevates the work to an angle that you're not looking straight down.

I would love to have one but it is cost prohibitive right now. I might eventually get one.BigGrin HTHSmile

I do have both of the scrap n easels (ya musta missed that in the post ya quoted). They do help and if you are ever able to get one, do it! I use the scrap n easel-ette more than I use the big one (scrapn' easel). It's great for working on die cuts when chalking and doing pen detailing. Which is when I tend to work the longest and end up stiffer than a straight shot of whiskey!LOL I have found that the big one takes up a lot of room and I only have a 4' table that is packed with my supplies and it takes up too much space. So I usually sit a TV tray next to me and put the big scrapin easel on it with the layout pages on them to 'store' while I'm detailing the die cuts, cutting mats and framing things for the layout. It has helped me keep my layout more organized. It has been months since I've made a layout! I'm feeeling the need to make some...But not today! I have some baking to do and then getting cleaned up to go do some shopping, eating dinner out and going to class afterwards.

I woke up this morning sorer than I've been in a very long time. Not sure what is up but I have a suspicion I will be having an unwelcomed visitor in a few days. Golly I hate Aunt Flo!!! TMI???

Joyce
jojoy Offline
#10 Posted : Thursday, December 19, 2013 12:23:21 PM(UTC)
jojoy

United States

Was thanked: 12231 time(s) in 3875 post(s)
I have arthritis in so many joints, it's probably easier to say where I don't have it.....and I'm not sure of that. I don't have a crafting table, so I do it at the dining table. However, many times, I will do quick things on the kitchen counter. Last night I made cards for a couple of hours and my neck was so sore. What I really need to do are the exercises. When I was in physical therapy a couple of different times for it, I had them give me a copy of the exercises, so I have them in a binder now. I just need to start doing them again!
 1 user thanked jojoy for this useful post.
Coah'sNana Offline
#11 Posted : Thursday, December 19, 2013 1:00:24 PM(UTC)
Coah'sNana

Groups: Circle Member, Registered
Virgin Islands (U.S.)

Was thanked: 15687 time(s) in 4242 post(s)
Lots of good suggestions here.

My suggestion would be to visit a physical/occupational therapist and tell them what you want to do but cannot and the type of problems (pain) it creates. If there are ways to accomplish the task, they will be the ones able to devise the ways for you to do it so you can enjoy your hobby pain free (or with limited pain). It sure helped me.

Nothing worse that having life curtailed due to pain. Hope you find some relief.
 1 user thanked Coah'sNana for this useful post.
CricketCMV Offline
#12 Posted : Thursday, December 19, 2013 7:28:48 PM(UTC)
CricketCMV

I have a lot of issues with my neck, too; but, I found the band exercises have helped me tremendously (actually had to go to orthopedic surgeon for a shoulder problem two years ago this coming February; he sent me to our local hospital to Physical Therapy to LEARN some exercises for the shoulder and my lower back (bone on bone). They were band exercises; I also did my own routine for my lower back on the bally ball and some other things that were taught to me (not using the band). After about three months, I worked a lot of issues out with pain that had gone from my lower back to my hip and down my right leg (I always called it sciatic pain). Those issues never cropped up again until about two weeks ago; I have started the exercises again, and in only a few days I am feeling much, much better.

I think you should seek P/T, too.

Another thing I used when I was sitting down (because it hurt too much to stand up and look down) was one of those "kids'" lap trays. The one I have sits right over my lap and is not too wide for my chair...just fits really good inside the arm rests. That helped me a lot when my neck was tired. The trays have side pockets (these are hard plastic material) and I just gather up my supplies I need, pop them in the sides and have my cuts on top and do whatever I can sitting down.

Char
JoyceG Offline
#13 Posted : Thursday, December 19, 2013 10:04:56 PM(UTC)
JoyceG

Originally Posted by: CricketCMV Go to Quoted Post

Another thing I used when I was sitting down (because it hurt too much to stand up and look down) was one of those "kids'" lap trays. The one I have sits right over my lap and is not too wide for my chair...just fits really good inside the arm rests. That helped me a lot when my neck was tired. The trays have side pockets (these are hard plastic material) and I just gather up my supplies I need, pop them in the sides and have my cuts on top and do whatever I can sitting down.

Char

I have one of those lap trays that I use when I'm on my ipad. But can you believe that after using it for a while my shoulder is hurting so badly I can barely pick it up to move it?

Wouldn't a dr have to send me to a physical therapist? can I just walk in to see one on my own? I have loved my chiropractor this year. He has helped me more with my aches and pains than my regular dr ever did. I am going to get a new Dr in the new year. Can you believe I had blood work done in October and I still have not received test results back. When I was first diagnoised with thyroid issues, I went in for the blood test in Jan 2011. Never received any results so I thought everything was fine. The I go back in july for something..and that is when she asked me how my thyroid meds are helping me. I told her I had no idea what she was talking about. That's when she told me that my blood test came back and she prescribed synthroid for me. But the nurse never bothered to call me and tell me. I've had these issues with this dr office since 2011 and I've had enough now.

Joyce

LaLaLand Offline
#14 Posted : Friday, December 20, 2013 12:01:32 PM(UTC)
LaLaLand

Was thanked: 47 time(s) in 36 post(s)
Well it appears that a lot of us sympathize with neck and s holder pain. I have the same problem if I work at the computer too much. I think it has to do with the position I sit and the height of the screen. Under normal conditions you should not be having neck and shoulder pain from scrapbooking so I agree with the "Go see your doctor" advise. In Kansas it takes a doctors prescription to go to a physical therapist but in Missouri it doesn't. Figure that out! Physical therapists are amazing in giving exercises to strengthen weak muscles and suggesting alternate ways to sit. Hope you can get back to the things you enjoy soon.
 2 users thanked LaLaLand for this useful post.
CricketCMV on 12/20/2013(UTC), JoyceG on 12/20/2013(UTC)
CricketCMV Offline
#15 Posted : Friday, December 20, 2013 1:21:30 PM(UTC)
CricketCMV

Originally Posted by: JoyceG Go to Quoted Post
I have one of those lap trays that I use when I'm on my ipad. But can you believe that after using it for a while my shoulder is hurting so badly I can barely pick it up to move it?

Wouldn't a dr have to send me to a physical therapist? can I just walk in to see one on my own? I have loved my chiropractor this year. He has helped me more with my aches and pains than my regular dr ever did. I am going to get a new Dr in the new year. Can you believe I had blood work done in October and I still have not received test results back. When I was first diagnoised with thyroid issues, I went in for the blood test in Jan 2011. Never received any results so I thought everything was fine. The I go back in july for something..and that is when she asked me how my thyroid meds are helping me. I told her I had no idea what she was talking about. That's when she told me that my blood test came back and she prescribed synthroid for me. But the nurse never bothered to call me and tell me. I've had these issues with this dr office since 2011 and I've had enough now.

Joyce

My Chiropractor sent me to a surgeon. He ordered the P/T (with provision to learn the exercises and do them at home vs. going there).

Yes...you need a new doctor; there's absolutely NO excuse, IMHO, for anyone not getting their test results back. I was Office Manager for a Cardiologist for seven years (loved the job and would have done it for fifty years if the guy had stayed there). Our nurses had instructions to tell the patients, when they had bloodwork or any kinds of testing done at the local hospital, to CALL US WITHIN THREE OR FOUR DAYS (depending on the tests, of course) if we had not called them by then. In that seven years, I am 100% positive we NEVER missed getting test results back to one patient. If we did, we never knew about it! LOL (but not laughing)! WE DID HAVE A BACKUP PLAN if we didn't do our jobs.

Char
JoyceG on 12/20/2013(UTC)
CricketCMV Offline
#16 Posted : Friday, December 20, 2013 1:24:12 PM(UTC)
CricketCMV

Originally Posted by: LaLaLand Go to Quoted Post
Well it appears that a lot of us sympathize with neck and s holder pain. I have the same problem if I work at the computer too much. I think it has to do with the position I sit and the height of the screen. Under normal conditions you should not be having neck and shoulder pain from scrapbooking so I agree with the "Go see your doctor" advise. In Kansas it takes a doctors prescription to go to a physical therapist but in Missouri it doesn't. Figure that out! Physical therapists are amazing in giving exercises to strengthen weak muscles and suggesting alternate ways to sit. Hope you can get back to the things you enjoy soon.

ALSO, with deadening nerves. My nerves were all weak up and down my spine when I was having multiple issues with shoulders and my lower back that went through my hip and down my leg. My Chiropractor had me ice 20on/20off/20on and I did that faithfully over a two-three month period, too. I am convinced all the things I did for myself were what got me through many, many years of issues. The shoulders and back pain just got me to the point where I needed to do something different for myself, but I did need expert help with it.

Char
JoyceG on 12/20/2013(UTC)
JoyceG Offline
#17 Posted : Friday, December 20, 2013 1:51:00 PM(UTC)
JoyceG

I am sorry to all of you who also have neck and well..any kind of physical aches and pains. It sucks I know.

Joyce
jenny dennis Offline
#18 Posted : Friday, December 20, 2013 7:23:41 PM(UTC)
jenny dennis

Was thanked: 15286 time(s) in 3700 post(s)
I Love Love Love my easel I also have the back and neck issues,I have a bed buddy I think that's what it is called it's a long terry cloth thing filled with rice you put in the microwave I will wrap it around my neck while i'm working on stuff not a cure but it helps me to keep from getting so stiff a lot of great ideals have been mentioned.
 1 user thanked jenny dennis for this useful post.
CricketCMV on 12/20/2013(UTC)
JoyceG Offline
#19 Posted : Friday, December 20, 2013 8:45:28 PM(UTC)
JoyceG

Originally Posted by: jenny_dennisb4aaab6f Go to Quoted Post
I Love Love Love my easel I also have the back and neck issues,I have a bed buddy I think that's what it is called it's a long terry cloth thing filled with rice you put in the microwave I will wrap it around my neck while i'm working on stuff not a cure but it helps me to keep from getting so stiff a lot of great ideals have been mentioned.

I have one of those neck thingies...I forgot all about it til you mentions it. Mine is gel filled though. I use to have a rice filled one from Avon but they did a recall on them cause the rice was burning people. I need to hunt my gel one and use it again. Thanks for reminding me.

Joyce
 1 user thanked JoyceG for this useful post.
jenny dennis on 12/21/2013(UTC)