Flag
  • Sign In
  • 0 items
  • Search
Welcome Guest! Please login to enable all features.

Notification

Icon
Error

cmay Offline
#1 Posted : Thursday, January 16, 2014 10:35:16 AM(UTC)
cmay

Groups: Registered

I am a new mom and want to buy my first Cricut to create banners and decorations for my child’s birthday and other parties. I would use it only a few times a year but plan to use it for many years to come. I have no experience with Cricut or any cutting machine and would like something that is easy to use.

Can you please tell me which machine you would recommend? I was thinking the Expression or the Expression 2.
jscraftylady Offline
#2 Posted : Thursday, January 16, 2014 11:09:12 AM(UTC)
jscraftylady

Medals: Cricut Circle Member: Member of the Cricut Circle

Groups: Registered, Circle Member

Was thanked: 2303 time(s) in 1238 post(s)
If you are going to go with a Cricut, I would recommend an Expression.BigGrin
cmay Offline
#3 Posted : Thursday, January 16, 2014 11:40:13 AM(UTC)
cmay

Thanks for your input. If there is a entirely different brand that you'd recommend I would love to know that too!
Di&Co Offline
#4 Posted : Thursday, January 16, 2014 12:17:07 PM(UTC)
Di&Co

Canada

Was thanked: 20846 time(s) in 5212 post(s)
The Expression is easy to use and very versatile. I have 4 machines but I love the Expression the best. The cartridges make it easy to use, just cut and go! They are sold separately from the machines but there are hundreds to choose from. I like that I dont have to fiddle and create images, it's just cut and go. I also prefer the Cricut cart graphics to anything else I've seen. Good luck on your shopping!
 1 user thanked Di&Co for this useful post.
cmay on 1/17/2014(UTC)
Spookysnip Offline
#5 Posted : Thursday, January 16, 2014 12:27:35 PM(UTC)
Spookysnip

Canada

Was thanked: 79 time(s) in 49 post(s)
I think it depends on how comfortable you are with technology. You can connect all cricut machines to your computer and use Cricut Craft Room.

The Cricut Mini is great if you are ok with technology and have a computer (I believe internet is also required). You have to connect the mini to a computer to use it. You must use the Cricut Craft Room to layout images on the mat to cut. This is the cheapest of all the machines at about $80 - $100.

The Expression is a good choice if you are less comfortable with technology/computers/Cricut Craftroom and/or you prefer physical cartridges. This machine takes physical cartridges, but you can also connect it to your computer and use Cricut Craft Room if you would like to buy digital images. It has buttons and dials to make adjustments to pressure, speed, etc. You press buttons to select images to cut on your mat.

The Expression 2 is a good choice if you are moderately comfortable with technolgy. This machine takes physical cartridges (including imagine cartridges), but you can also connect it to your computer and use Cricut Craft Room if you would like to buy digital images. This machine has a color touch screen that you tap with the included stylus to put images onto your mat. I prefer this machine myself, but I'm very comfortable with technology. I like that I can see where an image is on the mat so I can put my paper in just the right spot. Also I like that the machine remembers my "special" cut settings and I don't have to try and remember them every time I change my paper type (I can select them from a saved list). This is my personal preference, but might not be yours.

3 users thanked Spookysnip for this useful post.
MomScrapper on 1/16/2014(UTC), cecieliais9fd2ef61 on 1/16/2014(UTC), cmay on 1/17/2014(UTC)
TammyPuckett Offline
#6 Posted : Thursday, January 16, 2014 1:17:26 PM(UTC)
TammyPuckett

Was thanked: 330 time(s) in 191 post(s)
Expression is the most versatile machine & has less issues!
 1 user thanked TammyPuckett for this useful post.
cmay on 1/17/2014(UTC)
MomScrapper Offline
#7 Posted : Thursday, January 16, 2014 1:22:11 PM(UTC)
MomScrapper

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 3 post(s)
I just received the Expression for Christmas. I've been using my mom's in the past. While reading the blogs and message boards, people were complaining about the Expression 2 not working properly.
 1 user thanked MomScrapper for this useful post.
cmay on 1/17/2014(UTC)
ArcadiaFLNative Offline
#8 Posted : Friday, January 17, 2014 5:48:15 AM(UTC)
ArcadiaFLNative

Groups: Circle Member, Registered
United States

Was thanked: 1634 time(s) in 641 post(s)
In my opinion, definitely the Expression.

Good luck and have fun!!

Penny
 1 user thanked ArcadiaFLNative for this useful post.
cmay on 1/17/2014(UTC)
PaperCraft65 Offline
#9 Posted : Friday, January 17, 2014 9:41:15 AM(UTC)
PaperCraft65

Was thanked: 157 time(s) in 92 post(s)
Quote:
Thanks for your input. If there is a entirely different brand that you'd recommend I would love to know that too!

Other brands are not allowed to be discussed here.
nancyh Offline
#10 Posted : Friday, January 17, 2014 9:52:48 AM(UTC)
nancyh

Was thanked: 640 time(s) in 479 post(s)
I have had them all except for the Imagine, and the regular expression is my favorite.
 1 user thanked nancyh for this useful post.
cmay on 1/17/2014(UTC)
melodylanedesigns Offline
#11 Posted : Friday, January 17, 2014 10:04:22 AM(UTC)
melodylanedesigns

Was thanked: 1876 time(s) in 929 post(s)
I started on the Expression2 I love it, but the people that started on the original expression love that better, I think because learning how to use them is so different as I don't know how to use an original expression. I never had an issue with mine and like how you can set everything up on the mat to cut all at once in different sizes, The expression you have to do one at a time. The 2 does have more upgrades.
 2 users thanked melodylanedesigns for this useful post.
cmay on 1/17/2014(UTC), Spookysnip on 1/20/2014(UTC)
CricketCMV Offline
#12 Posted : Sunday, January 19, 2014 3:57:14 PM(UTC)
CricketCMV

Was thanked: 8026 time(s) in 4687 post(s)
Originally Posted by: melodylanedesigns Go to Quoted Post
I started on the Expression2 I love it, but the people that started on the original expression love that better, I think because learning how to use them is so different as I don't know how to use an original expression. I never had an issue with mine and like how you can set everything up on the mat to cut all at once in different sizes, The expression you have to do one at a time. The 2 does have more upgrades.

I used to cut more than one design on my Expression when I used it manually...if I was using the same color of base papers. I would merely punch one in, then the next, then the next. They all cut out at the same time. You could also do this using several papers, but you need to know where to space over on the monitor so they cut on the paper where you placed them on the mat. It was a work around and it worked very good for me. I made some errors doing this, but it didn't take long to learn how to space the papers on the mat to cut perfectly each time.

However, of course, on CCR you can cut as many images as you want at one time on the Expression.

To the OP, I also love my MINI (if you want to use CCR). In using CCR, you can weld any images you want to weld together....to make shape cards and/or more elaborate cards that can't be done by using the machines manually.

Char
grammat Offline
#13 Posted : Monday, January 20, 2014 1:08:11 PM(UTC)
grammat

Was thanked: 87 time(s) in 46 post(s)
i am down to three machines now the E2 anniversary and two imagines love them all i have had all the machines and have to say was not dissapointed in any of them now am waiting for the new one to be released tomorrow as it is suppose to do svg files and you can design your designs you want to cut i do have almost 300 or so cartridges for the E2 and all the imagine cartridges... love the imagine for the ability to print and cut i have the gypsy also which is a portable craft room .. you can weld your images to make more images also .. hope this helps i do love the cricut products and will not be using another machine

Edited by user Monday, January 20, 2014 1:08:59 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

MJ Scrapper Offline
#14 Posted : Monday, January 20, 2014 3:28:05 PM(UTC)
MJ Scrapper

Was thanked: 69 time(s) in 41 post(s)
I have young kids so when I have time to do something crafty I just want to stick a cartridge in my machine and go, I don't want to bother with the computer. For me the Expression works really well for this, it is easy enough to use that my 9 year old can do it (although I hover over her because I am protective of my Cricut...LOL).

I figure if I want to get more creative later on I have the option of the Cricut Craft Room.

Also I highly recommend the "Baby Steps" cartridge, I have used it a lot in baby albums.

Edited by user Monday, January 20, 2014 3:30:44 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

MaryStillman Offline
#15 Posted : Monday, January 20, 2014 5:00:20 PM(UTC)
MaryStillman

Was thanked: 1241 time(s) in 788 post(s)
Originally Posted by: cmay Go to Quoted Post
I am a new mom and want to buy my first Cricut to create banners and decorations for my child’s birthday and other parties. I would use it only a few times a year but plan to use it for many years to come. I have no experience with Cricut or any cutting machine and would like something that is easy to use.

Can you please tell me which machine you would recommend? I was thinking the Expression or the Expression 2.

I would also suggest that you go "shopping" here and explore the cartridges so you get some good ideas on what cartridges you would like to purchase and start looking for when the things go on sale.

As another poster pointed out, a new Cricut is coming out tomorrow and the rumour is that you can cut your own designs with it. I would probably wait until tomorrow to decide which machine I wanted.

Mary