Flag
  • Sign In
  • 0 items
  • Search
Welcome Guest! Please login to enable all features.

Notification

Icon
Error

SewFanny Offline
#1 Posted : Tuesday, March 18, 2014 9:37:58 AM(UTC)
SewFanny

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 9 post(s)
I bought various colors of felt and have a bunch of scraps in my fabric stash I'd like to cut into, but I'm nervous. I purchased the deep cutting blade, which in all honesty I don't think I'll need to use, at least not yet. When I cut through cardstock the blade left markings on my mat....that leads me to believe the blade should work just fine with fabric, what do you think? Have any of you tried cutting felt or fabric yet?
CindyRose14 Offline
#2 Posted : Tuesday, March 18, 2014 10:21:56 AM(UTC)
CindyRose14

Was thanked: 161 time(s) in 81 post(s)
As far as your blade selection, I woud try the regular blade with light fabric, but use the deep blade to cut felt or heavier fabrics, and this is just based on a gut feeling from using the different blade types on my Expression and knowing what they're capable of. Wait, let me check the manual we got with our Explore machines. Oh.... right!
I'm also anxious to cut some felt to make some little owl appliques, but I read somewhere that the felt should be the adhesive-backed type to cut on the Explore. I don't have that kind. Has anyone cut regular felt with any success?
SewFanny Offline
#3 Posted : Tuesday, March 18, 2014 10:33:40 AM(UTC)
SewFanny

Originally Posted by: CindyRose14 Go to Quoted Post
As far as your blade selection, I woud try the regular blade with light fabric, but use the deep blade to cut felt or heavier fabrics, and this is just based on a gut feeling from using the different blade types on my Expression and knowing what they're capable of. Wait, let me check the manual we got with our Explore machines. Oh.... right! LOL!!!
I'm also anxious to cut some felt to make some little owl appliques, but I read somewhere that the felt should be the adhesive-backed type to cut on the Explore. I don't have that kind. Has anyone cut regular felt with any success?

Thank you for sharing this information with me. I have some wonder under (similar to heat and bond)that I use for appliques. I wonder if that would be sufficient for the felt because I don't have that kind either..iron it onto the back and cut away...I guess it will take some experimentation to figure out what works. Is there really no place to find how to use the various materials, any prep work before cutting?? REALLY?? Oh, PC help us out here
CindyRose14 Offline
#4 Posted : Tuesday, March 18, 2014 10:38:38 AM(UTC)
CindyRose14

Was thanked: 161 time(s) in 81 post(s)
My guess would be that the wonder under would make the felt suitable for cutting. I'm envisioning that if you just put the felt on the mat with nothing backing it up, the blade would just shred it up. But if you stabilize it first, this might not happen. Just guessing. I'd be willing to try iton my machine but I do not yet have the deep blade.
SewFanny Offline
#5 Posted : Tuesday, March 18, 2014 10:45:23 AM(UTC)
SewFanny

Originally Posted by: CindyRose14 Go to Quoted Post
My guess would be that the wonder under would make the felt suitable for cutting. I'm envisioning that if you just put the felt on the mat with nothing backing it up, the blade would just shred it up. But if you stabilize it first, this might not happen. Just guessing. I'd be willing to try iton my machine but I do not yet have the deep blade.

I am going to try it today! I will let you know how it goes.
Happishay Offline
#6 Posted : Wednesday, March 19, 2014 10:33:52 PM(UTC)
Happishay

Was thanked: 229 time(s) in 155 post(s)
Btt above the spam
CrafT1 Offline
#7 Posted : Thursday, March 20, 2014 4:25:33 AM(UTC)
CrafT1

Was thanked: 379 time(s) in 270 post(s)
I tried to cut felt with no stabilizer but it did not cut. I have since read that there is a setting for felt in the custom settings. I plan on giving it another try when I get a chance. I did notice that they removed the felt projects from the Make It Now page. There used to be a headband with a felt flower and a mobile with felt hot air balloons that I can no longer find.
 2 users thanked CrafT1 for this useful post.
GracefulGrammar on 3/20/2014(UTC), SewFanny on 3/20/2014(UTC)