Flag
  • Sign In
  • 0 items
  • Search
Welcome Guest! Please login to enable all features.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
PaperKrafter4Life Offline
#1 Posted : Wednesday, March 19, 2014 7:45:51 PM(UTC)
PaperKrafter4Life

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 186 time(s) in 141 post(s)
I have to admit I have not bought most of my cartridges in craft stores
but am wondering if we wont see them there any more with the launch
of the Explore. Is that the case???
 2 users thanked PaperKrafter4Life for this useful post.
rhondah* on 3/19/2014(UTC), KraftyAnnie on 3/20/2014(UTC)
go-go Offline
#2 Posted : Wednesday, March 19, 2014 8:11:41 PM(UTC)
go-go

Medals: Cricut Circle Member: Member of the Cricut Circle

Groups: Circle Member, Registered
United States

Was thanked: 1707 time(s) in 706 post(s)
I hope that is not the case. I purchased an Explore, but I love my cartridges. I have still been purchasing them. It concerns me that they are becoming harder to find.
~Margo
Sunflowerbuggy Offline
#3 Posted : Wednesday, March 19, 2014 8:39:11 PM(UTC)
Sunflowerbuggy

United States

Was thanked: 25 time(s) in 23 post(s)
Do you think Joann's put them on sale because they're getting rid of them? Or making room for new ones?
JoyceG Offline
#4 Posted : Wednesday, March 19, 2014 8:42:49 PM(UTC)
JoyceG

Was thanked: 903 time(s) in 591 post(s)
M's had a bunch on clearence last week. I got a couple of them and one had been retired a few years ago. Was glad I got it. I also noticed that the wall where they kept the cartridges had been emptied out. You had to have a ladder to reach the carts but now ALL of them have been removed. I still saw the cards hanging but I have no idea where they are keeping the actual cartridges at.

Joyce
Friend958 Offline
#5 Posted : Wednesday, March 19, 2014 10:53:07 PM(UTC)
Friend958

Was thanked: 207 time(s) in 166 post(s)
Don't know but when I was at Joann's a few weeks ago they only had a few carts and they were $19.99.

I don't know much about retail but have never understood why they always have the same cart and takes forever to get new ones. It's like they don't get the difference between "consumable" and things you only need to buy once.
 1 user thanked Friend958 for this useful post.
CricketCMV on 3/20/2014(UTC)
ScrappyNana Offline
#6 Posted : Thursday, March 20, 2014 3:07:41 AM(UTC)
ScrappyNana

Groups: Registered, Circle Member

Was thanked: 211 time(s) in 98 post(s)
My Michaels just put out the newly released carts and they have a full wall of carts. I think it depends on each Michaels and what they choose to order.

Laurel
 1 user thanked ScrappyNana for this useful post.
JanisD on 3/20/2014(UTC)
CricketCMV Offline
#7 Posted : Thursday, March 20, 2014 6:41:18 AM(UTC)
CricketCMV

Was thanked: 8023 time(s) in 4685 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Friend958 Go to Quoted Post
Don't know but when I was at Joann's a few weeks ago they only had a few carts and they were $19.99.

I don't know much about retail but have never understood why they always have the same cart and takes forever to get new ones. It's like they don't get the difference between "consumable" and things you only need to buy once.

Well, everytime someone buys an EXPRESSION, or any of the machines (now the NEW EXPLORE that has been sold to thousands), you have a percentage of NEW users who don't have any of those older 200+ cartridges that have come out since 2006 (or whatever date PC started). ALL OF THE OLDER cartridges (I would say from before 2010 before they started doing the LITE cartridges that don't have as many images on them) are FULL cartridges have tons of GREAT images on them. SO, I think PC knows what they're doing there; they can produce all of those cartridges for quite a while to my way of thinking. Just because they RETIRED some of them doesn't mean they can't bring them back; they probably didn't know at the time they RETIRED them how popular they would be down the road!

I would love to know the percentage of NEW users PC gets everytime they come out with another machine.

ALSO, these machines last forever; I do hope PC doesn't just DROP the production of new cartridges for those who still have these older machines that will never be hooked to the internet. To me, they can have the best of both worlds; to them, they probably just want to move forward.

I, myself, have been here since 2008. I only have 60+ cartridges (maybe 65). The reason is because of the scarcity of finding those cartridges at an affordable price for me and not being crazy about buying online and setting a limit what I will pay for a cartridge...which is $30 or less. (The past few years there are always $19.99 sales on MOST cartridges, no matter what price they were when they first came out, which could be anything from $89 down to $29 for the project cartridges). There was no way I could ever pay full price for those older (more full) cartridges.

PC Has, unfortunately gravitated to less images on cartridges to project cartridges with even fewer images on them and now to digitals.

JMHO.

Char

Edited by user Thursday, March 20, 2014 6:43:31 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Spookysnip Offline
#8 Posted : Thursday, March 20, 2014 7:27:35 AM(UTC)
Spookysnip

Canada

Was thanked: 77 time(s) in 47 post(s)
My Micheals has tons of carts right now. They keep them behind the cash register area (thus the little hang papers for each cartridge in the paper crafting aisle). They have the lite cartrdges on clearance/Sale (they're actually in the aisle). But they have lots of the new cartridges still.

I like some of the new cartridges, but yeah the new ones don't have as much on them compared to some of the older cartridges (like other people have mentioned). I do like a couple of the new cartridges such as Creative everyday cards and Winter Wonderland. Sometimes I only like a few of the cuts on a cartridge and I won't buy a catridge unless I like most of the cuts (I'm too cheap lol).

However I would be inclinded to purchase a single digital image if I liked it. I prefer to spend money on something I'll actually use.
sewnmachine Offline
#9 Posted : Thursday, March 20, 2014 8:35:10 AM(UTC)
sewnmachine

Was thanked: 346 time(s) in 231 post(s)
Personally I think we've seen the last of full featured carts. The new ones are skimpy and don't have many cool features.
I am buying up as many of the old carts that I can.
If PC shut down today I would still be set with machines and carts. In fact you can make your own cutting mats using placemats from the dollar store.
I just made 4 of them for my Mini.
Buy the cheap plastic placemats ( solid colors work well) , trim to size, draw grid lines if desired and then apply some repositionable adhesive.
Aleens tack it over and over works well.
VOILA. You have new mats for about a dollar
Spatulas can be found super cheap in the art supply section of craft stores.
I buy all of my replacement blades from ebay. The cricuts use Roland blades both 45 and 60 degree angled.
If you have an old Expression that hasnt been updated you can still use Scal. Or a new Explore .

But even with all of those work arounds I still love the cartridges.
Unfortunately I do believe they are being phased out.
I'm not hesitating any longer to purchase the carts i want. In fact the CM Cheerful Seasons is already out of stock!
 1 user thanked sewnmachine for this useful post.
MichelleinMO Offline
#10 Posted : Thursday, March 20, 2014 8:44:19 AM(UTC)
MichelleinMO

Was thanked: 45 time(s) in 29 post(s)
I was actually in Joann's yesterday looking at the new Explore & thought I would take advantage of the $19.99 cartridge sale. I pulled the sheets for the ones I wanted & when I got to the register they only had 1. The clerk made the comment, "Wow, we are almost out, I hope the new style cartridges arrive soon".

1 user thanked MichelleinMO for this useful post.
Leanner Offline
#11 Posted : Thursday, March 20, 2014 9:08:06 AM(UTC)
Leanner

Groups: Circle Member, Registered

Was thanked: 1526 time(s) in 1127 post(s)
My J's is waiting to get restocked too.
joyfullycrafting Offline
#12 Posted : Thursday, March 20, 2014 9:46:24 AM(UTC)
joyfullycrafting

United States

Was thanked: 1448 time(s) in 1154 post(s)
Originally Posted by: sewnmachine Go to Quoted Post
In fact you can make your own cutting mats using placemats from the dollar store.
I just made 4 of them for my Mini.
Buy the cheap plastic placemats ( solid colors work well) , trim to size, draw grid lines if desired and then apply some repositionable adhesive.
Aleens tack it over and over works well.
VOILA. You have new mats for about a dollar

Hmmmmm. Interesting. I have considered turning my mats top-side down when the edges curl. I guess I could strip all of the adhesive off of the right side, turn them upside down, and make the bottom the cutting area. Because the only issue with them is the curled edges.
JanisD Offline
#13 Posted : Thursday, March 20, 2014 9:46:30 AM(UTC)
JanisD

United States

Was thanked: 1310 time(s) in 1005 post(s)
Personally I think it would be a bad move on PC's part if they quit putting out the carts. I know everyone didn't buy the X & what would these folks do if there weren't any new carts to buy? I'm of course talking about the people that still own the baby bug, the Expression, the Expression 2 etc.

Many people can't purchase the X & are very happy to buy new carts. for whatever machine they do have. kwim?

My daughter buys carts. all the time for her Expression & has no plan to purchase the X, she has small children & NO time for anymore machines. BigGrin

My JoAnns has cards hanging on the wall with the physical carts. in a cage behind their counter. They tell me they can order any cart. I want & have a laminated sheet with tons of carts. on it. It has 4 pages full of carts. I assume in my rural area {not Geo} they don't sell a lot of carts. therefore they can/will order any carts available for a customer.

I'm trying to order the X, I finally decided to try it for myself. I was going to go off of everyone's comments & experiences with the Explore but it got too confusing. One person loves it, the next is sending it back, one person can't get the card stock to cut right & it would rip. The comments & experiences of everyone are all over the board, so the only way I will know if it's for me is if I personally buy one & see for myself.

It seems more & more people are liking their X so I'm ready to try it.BigGrin I wish HSN had them in stock but I was told they may never get them again.Unsure At this point I'm on the waiting list or pre-order at amazon. I see joanns.com has them for $299.99 as of today too. Personally I like the extras that HSN has & was really hoping they would get them back in.

My local J's has never heard of the X.Sad

Sorry for getting a bit off track here. But I do think each store whether it be J's, M's etc. they order what their company wants or allows them to order.

Janis

jscraftylady Offline
#14 Posted : Thursday, March 20, 2014 11:20:10 AM(UTC)
jscraftylady

Was thanked: 2303 time(s) in 1238 post(s)
My Js and my Ms both reduced their Cricut display to about a dozen carts.
GracefulGrammar Offline
#15 Posted : Thursday, March 20, 2014 11:39:52 AM(UTC)
GracefulGrammar

Was thanked: 1818 time(s) in 865 post(s)
Originally Posted by: jscraftylady Go to Quoted Post
My Js and my Ms both reduced their Cricut display to about a dozen carts.

We have 15 Ms and Js here......... Js reduced the price of all carts over 3 months ago to 19.99. Ms has marked a bunch to 19.99 clearance. All stores have very few left.
sewnmachine Offline
#16 Posted : Thursday, March 20, 2014 11:51:51 AM(UTC)
sewnmachine

I think it would be awesome if CTMH came out with at least one more "Art" cartridge. Those really cant be beat for gving you the most bang for your buck.
JanisD Offline
#17 Posted : Thursday, March 20, 2014 2:40:08 PM(UTC)
JanisD

United States

Again, if this is the case {that stores aren't going to be selling carts.} what are the Expression, original bug, Expression 2, & all the others suppose to do for carts?

I don't think they will quit selling carts. WHY? Because 'some' people own the X? Don't make sense to me.

Some folks are just now buying the Expression & have NO carts at all yet. One girl was asking me if I knew anything about the Expression 2 because she was thinking about buying it.

If that's the case, then everyone who owns the 'other Cricut machines' may as well close up their machines & put it away.

My J's has laminated sheets {about 4 or 5} that have all the cricut carts. listed & they will order any that they can get for their customers.

JMHO Janis

Edited by user Thursday, March 20, 2014 2:40:45 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

1 user thanked JanisD for this useful post.
~CinnamonSpice~ on 3/22/2014(UTC)
KraftyAnnie Offline
#18 Posted : Thursday, March 20, 2014 3:16:19 PM(UTC)
KraftyAnnie

United States

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 7 post(s)
I've seen both Joann's and Michaels setting up new displays featuring the Explore. I think PC will still produce the cartridges, but the small ones, which don't really take up so much space. Unfortunately, I also think the days of 700 images on a cartridge are over! I've been buying as many carts as I can afford, since I still have and love my Expression, and if anything goes wrong, I have it as a backup with my cartridges. Great Post!
sewnmachine Offline
#19 Posted : Thursday, March 20, 2014 3:16:53 PM(UTC)
sewnmachine

All the new users for the legacy machines will be encouraged to use CCR. They can purchase the digital carts and if they like what they see they
May move on to the explore.
I just dont believe we will see the plethora of full carts like in years past.
Yes PC will probably continue to issue the newer scaled down versions.
But this is why I'm buying up the carts i want NOW. I think the handwriting is on the wall.
MaryStillman Offline
#20 Posted : Thursday, March 20, 2014 4:42:54 PM(UTC)
MaryStillman

Was thanked: 1241 time(s) in 788 post(s)
I also think that physical carts are on the way out. Digital is the future. And, of course, it can be marketed as green as downloads don't use any packaging.

The J's that I go to has been out of the carts I've wanted for several weeks, even in their warehouse. Michael's does have some carts for $19.99, but most are between 29.99 and 49.99.

I don't mind digital as I have a small house. However, I do wish we could download carts to our computers and not just have access to the things in CCR or DSpace or the Gypsy.

Mary
jscraftylady Offline
#21 Posted : Thursday, March 20, 2014 6:37:02 PM(UTC)
jscraftylady

Was thanked: 2303 time(s) in 1238 post(s)
Has anyone seen an regular old Expression for sale anywhere that wasn't a Black Friday special? I had not seen an Expression in a store for months and months before Black Friday and I haven't seen any, anywhere for sale since.
JanisD Offline
#22 Posted : Thursday, March 20, 2014 7:04:48 PM(UTC)
JanisD

United States

Originally Posted by: KraftyAnnie Go to Quoted Post
I've seen both Joann's and Michaels setting up new displays featuring the Explore. I think PC will still produce the cartridges, but the small ones, which don't really take up so much space. Unfortunately, I also think the days of 700 images on a cartridge are over! I've been buying as many carts as I can afford, since I still have and love my Expression, and if anything goes wrong, I have it as a backup with my cartridges. Great Post!

I will never get rid of my Expression, just because it doesn't have to have internet to cut & I like it, simple as that. I agree with everything you said.

Janis
JanisD Offline
#23 Posted : Thursday, March 20, 2014 7:07:30 PM(UTC)
JanisD

United States

Has anyone seen an regular old Expression for sale anywhere that wasn't a Black Friday special? I had not seen an Expression in a store for months and months before Black Friday and I haven't seen any, anywhere for sale since.

My JoAnns has the Expression for sale.
MaryStillman Offline
#24 Posted : Thursday, March 20, 2014 7:42:43 PM(UTC)
MaryStillman

[quote=sewnmachine;1832380I buy all of my replacement blades from ebay. The cricuts use Roland blades both 45 and 60 degree angled.
If you have an old Expression that hasnt been updated you can still use Scal. Or a new Explore .[/quote]

Have you noticed a difference in cutting with the 60 degree blade? I was just thinking about reordering some and could not remember if my expression cut better with the 60 blade. I was going to try with the mini.

Mary
sewnmachine Offline
#25 Posted : Friday, March 21, 2014 4:36:38 AM(UTC)
sewnmachine

Mary,
I only buy the 60 degree roland blades now. Everything cuts better with them. I use them exclusively in all my machines.
These would be classified as "deep cut blades" I suppose. Everythng just has a crisper cut to it.
And blade housings can also be found on ebay too .

~~~I use the roland 60 degree blades in my regular cricut housing. ~~~~

Edited by user Friday, March 21, 2014 4:38:55 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

1 user thanked sewnmachine for this useful post.
MaryStillman on 3/22/2014(UTC)
GracefulGrammar Offline
#26 Posted : Friday, March 21, 2014 6:42:36 AM(UTC)
GracefulGrammar

Was thanked: 1818 time(s) in 865 post(s)

With the exception of the $100 E this last Black Friday, I haven't seen an original Expression in the stores once the E2 was introduced..... over 2 years (?) The Ms and Js here, 15 in total, sold out existing E stock and never carried them again............
LaLaLand Offline
#27 Posted : Friday, March 21, 2014 6:46:18 AM(UTC)
LaLaLand

Was thanked: 47 time(s) in 36 post(s)

If you have an old Expression that hasnt been updated you can still use Scal. Or a new Explore .

Really dumb question of the day but how would I know if my machine has been updated? I would love to b able to use SCAL but I'm sort of confused about the updated part. Thanks?
sewnmachine Offline
#28 Posted : Friday, March 21, 2014 7:23:12 AM(UTC)
sewnmachine

If your E is stil a version of 2.3x ( i dont have my expression close by right now) you can use scal.
I think the latest update took the E to 2.45 or something like that.
When you turn the E on the version will display on yojr screen.
LaLaLand Offline
#29 Posted : Saturday, March 22, 2014 5:26:52 AM(UTC)
LaLaLand

Was thanked: 47 time(s) in 36 post(s)
sewnmachine, thanks a lot! I am running down to my basement to check that out right now!
MaryStillman Offline
#30 Posted : Saturday, March 22, 2014 8:06:03 AM(UTC)
MaryStillman

Originally Posted by: sewnmachine Go to Quoted Post
Mary,
I only buy the 60 degree roland blades now. Everything cuts better with them. I use them exclusively in all my machines.
These would be classified as "deep cut blades" I suppose. Everythng just has a crisper cut to it.
And blade housings can also be found on ebay too .

~~~I use the roland 60 degree blades in my regular cricut housing. ~~~~

I'm off to order some!

Thanks for the info.

Mary