Flag
  • Sign In
  • 0 items
  • Search
Welcome Guest! Please login to enable all features.

Notification

Icon
Error

jkbright39bf95a3c Offline
#1 Posted : Thursday, April 03, 2014 10:42:02 AM(UTC)
jkbright39bf95a3c

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I was wondering if there is a way to outline a font? I am trying to make a t-shirt and I wanted to make the letters in one color than outline the letters in a different color. Is this possible?
MarthaJackson Offline
#2 Posted : Thursday, April 03, 2014 11:40:20 AM(UTC)
MarthaJackson

Was thanked: 57 time(s) in 42 post(s)
If you are using a Cricut font with a layer, sure.

For the Expolore, you can create your phrase in another program and create another (offset) layer, save as svg, and import into Design Space.

Martha

2 users thanked MarthaJackson for this useful post.
jkbright39bf95a3c on 4/3/2014(UTC), PLZ do on 4/4/2014(UTC)
jkbright39bf95a3c Offline
#3 Posted : Thursday, April 03, 2014 12:35:59 PM(UTC)
jkbright39bf95a3c

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
How do you know if the cricut font has a layer? and can you elaborate on using another program? I will be using the explore to create and cut.
Olivia'sNana Offline
#4 Posted : Friday, April 04, 2014 8:17:46 AM(UTC)
Olivia'sNana

Was thanked: 933 time(s) in 461 post(s)
As far as using another program, I have no idea - never done it.
But if you are using a font that has a shadow, after you type your text box you will see a shadow layer in your layers box. (the rectangle box that pops down listing your image layers and corresponding colors. If there is a shadow, it will be the last one in the list and will be hidden. If you want to use it, just click on the eyeball that has the slash through it and it will become active. If it doesn't have that layer, it means that particular image was not designed with a layer.

Within design space, the only other way to get a layer is copy and paste your words and then slightly enlarge the copy. Sometimes, depending on the design itself, they will not exactly enlarge in proportion to the base layer - sometimes you can get this to work acceptably and sometimes not. When I can't do it within what I consider acceptable, I will simply do an exact copy of the letters and then just slightly offset one on top of the other where top and right or left side or bottom and right or left side will be shadowed depending on how you layer them.

You can also do an outline with your markers and then cut.
shimpsandy288908a1 Offline
#5 Posted : Monday, April 07, 2014 11:21:20 AM(UTC)
shimpsandy288908a1

I am also trying to make a shadow for a font that doesn't have one in craft room. I am using Lyrical Letters and none of the fonts have shadows. Is there any way to make one?
mblackmond5f11578 Offline
#6 Posted : Tuesday, April 08, 2014 11:45:08 AM(UTC)
mblackmond5f11578

I,too, am having difficulty with shadowed text. I am using Cricut Alphabet Font 1 and Font 1 Shadow. Once I have typed in a word, sized it, and welded the letters together in Font 1, I am not able to change that same text into Font1 Shadow that is the same size as the Font 1. I am relatively new to this so I am sure there are many tricks and tips I'm not aware of. Matching the size of layered images also seems to be tricky!

Thanks in advance for any enlightenment anyone can provide. I've noticed that many of the forum and message board posts are not current / several years old!

Confused Huh

Edited by user Tuesday, April 08, 2014 11:46:27 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Olivia'sNana Offline
#7 Posted : Tuesday, April 08, 2014 11:50:52 AM(UTC)
Olivia'sNana

Originally Posted by: mblackmond5f11578 Go to Quoted Post
I,too, am having difficulty with shadowed text. I am using Cricut Alphabet Font 1 and Font 1 Shadow. Once I have typed in a word, sized it, and welded the letters together in Font 1, I am not able to change that same text into Font1 Shadow that is the same size as the Font 1. I am relatively new to this so I am sure there are many tricks and tips I'm not aware of. Matching the size of layered images also seems to be tricky!

Thanks in advance for any enlightenment anyone can provide. I've noticed that many of the forum and message board posts are not current / several years old!

Confused Huh

The trick is to type and weld the shadow first, and then weld the base to fit the shadow layer Which machine/design sw are you using? The way you do this will depend on what you are using. Let me know and I will help you. Don't want to assume you are using one and confuse the issue because it is done a little differently with each.
blackmon.marciae4bb9e78 Offline
#8 Posted : Wednesday, April 09, 2014 10:02:54 AM(UTC)
blackmon.marciae4bb9e78

I am using the Expression 2 and the Craft Room software on a PC. One of the difficulties I've found is that the software frequently freezes or when I try to copy a word I've selected on one layer to paste to another layer, it won't paste to a new layer but will paste to the same layer I copied from. Grrrrr...I can't afford the latest and greatest machine so I hope that those who do invest in it get better software.

Another question---can the new pens for the Explore be used in the Expression 2? I am not finding the metallic pens anywhere for the Expression 2 and it would appear that Provo Craft has decided not to produce them any longer. Bummer!

Thanks for helping!
Olivia'sNana Offline
#9 Posted : Wednesday, April 09, 2014 10:23:18 AM(UTC)
Olivia'sNana

Originally Posted by: blackmon.marciae4bb9e78 Go to Quoted Post
I am using the Expression 2 and the Craft Room software on a PC. One of the difficulties I've found is that the software frequently freezes or when I try to copy a word I've selected on one layer to paste to another layer, it won't paste to a new layer but will paste to the same layer I copied from. Grrrrr...I can't afford the latest and greatest machine so I hope that those who do invest in it get better software.

Another question---can the new pens for the Explore be used in the Expression 2? I am not finding the metallic pens anywhere for the Expression 2 and it would appear that Provo Craft has decided not to produce them any longer. Bummer!

Thanks for helping!

i am not a technical savvy person so I have no idea what may be causing the freezing. My only advice would be to call pc and see if they can trouble shoot.

as for the copy/paste of layers, you have to make sure the layer tab that you want copied to is active before you paste. the steps would be

if you don't already have a new tab, click on + to add tab, click on the image you want to move or copy, right click and select either copy or cut, click on the layer tab at the top of the virtual mat that you want your image pasted to and then click paste. The active tab will be the lighter color tab while others will be slightly darker gray.
hope this helps

I don't think the explore pens/markers will work in other machines because of the size differences.

Edited by user Wednesday, April 09, 2014 10:24:49 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

blackmon.marciae4bb9e78 Offline
#10 Posted : Wednesday, April 09, 2014 2:00:41 PM(UTC)
blackmon.marciae4bb9e78

I did try the welding of the shadow layer first and then the regular font on another layer and adjust it. That seems to be the answer - not perfect, but close. Can any font be welded or are there some that just won't work that way?

I'll just keep checking for the pens I want - maybe they will show up somewhere eventually!